Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Undescended testicles

shannie
Novice

Oct 15, 2007, 4:52 AM

Post #1 of 19 (3306 views)
Shortcut
Undescended testicles Can't Post

My 8 months old shih tzu has undescended of both testicles .....vet has advised to have them removed and this is supposed to be a common procedure?

Anyone who has gone through this, pls help to share your experiences as i'm WORRYING sick for my little pup....Frown
thanks

CEDRICSIN
Novice

Oct 15, 2007, 5:48 AM

Post #2 of 19 (3299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shannie] Undescended testicles [In reply to] Can't Post

do your vet tell you, if the undescended testicles are not remove... is there any effect to the dog? can the dog still breed? (sorry that im asking too much questions instead of helping)

shannie
Novice

Oct 15, 2007, 6:51 AM

Post #3 of 19 (3296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CEDRICSIN] Undescended testicles [In reply to] Can't Post

the dog cannot breed bcos of the undescended testicles and it may be cancerous in later years

supermutts
K9 Senior

Oct 15, 2007, 7:16 AM

Post #4 of 19 (3293 views)
Shortcut

some infos...

http://www.animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/...tion2.html#anchor_14

http://www.marvistavet.com/...undescended-testicle

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

CEDRICSIN
Novice

Oct 15, 2007, 8:02 AM

Post #5 of 19 (3290 views)
Shortcut

then should have him to castrate before it becomes cancer......should listen to your vet advice...

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 15, 2007, 4:04 PM

Post #6 of 19 (3284 views)
Shortcut

yes it must be removed.. as ur vet say it will turn cancerous.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

CEDRICSIN
Novice

Oct 15, 2007, 9:00 PM

Post #7 of 19 (3278 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Undescended testicles [In reply to] Can't Post

totally agree!!

shannie
Novice

Oct 16, 2007, 6:29 AM

Post #8 of 19 (3263 views)
Shortcut

thanks for the info....guess that's how it's gonna be Unsure
will bring my dear puppy for surgery next monday.....

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 16, 2007, 3:49 PM

Post #9 of 19 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Well I will always support neutering/spaying a dog..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

J-J
Dog Kichi

Oct 16, 2007, 7:11 PM

Post #10 of 19 (3239 views)
Shortcut

hi shannie... juz to share wif u wat my vet advised. he told me to wait till 1 year, cos although exceedingly rare, he has seen some testicles descend at 1 year. so since there's no urgency to neuter my maltese now (he has 1 undescended testicle and is 8 months old), he said why not wait till 1 year, and if nothings happens they will then perform d surgery.

his reasoning is that the surgery to extract undescended testicles can be invasive, as they have found some testicles as far in as near the intestines. so he said if there's any chance the testicle might still descend, their advise is that we wait to avoid the possibility of an invasive surgery.

having said that, i think the chances is pretty low after 8 months. although i'm waiting till he's 1 year old, nothing wrong with getting your dog neutered now too. juz sharing my vet's opinion in case you might want to wait. Smile

supermutts
K9 Senior

Oct 16, 2007, 7:37 PM

Post #11 of 19 (3238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [J-J] Undescended testicles [In reply to] Can't Post

for me, i will wait. from the articles, it does say in certain cases, its bit susah to find the ball. and i think it will only have tendency to be cancerous in later years.... and also make sure the vet uses gas...

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

J-J
Dog Kichi

Oct 17, 2007, 1:04 AM

Post #12 of 19 (3228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] Undescended testicles [In reply to] Can't Post

ya... d cancer thing is not something that usually apply to puppies. since no urgency, i m waiting in hope the other one will appear and d surgery will not be unnecessarily complicated/invasive. last i checked a few day ago, still one ball though. aik. Crazy

shannie
Novice

Oct 19, 2007, 7:29 AM

Post #13 of 19 (3190 views)
Shortcut

thanks for sharing Smile

yeah, i've read somewhere before that the undescended testicles may descend....i'm also hoping for miracle....well, i really dunno what i should do, wait or no wait Unsure
i'm worried for my puppy to go through the pain as i understand that it will be more painful if it is difficult to find the hiding testicles....
on the other hand, if i wait, the recovery rate from surgery is slower when the puppy gets older.....sigh.....

where's your vet? your vet seems very experienced.....mine did not mention this and i found this on the web....

J-J
Dog Kichi

Oct 19, 2007, 5:52 PM

Post #14 of 19 (3177 views)
Shortcut

actually hor, my vet feels its safer to castrate at 1 year (adult) compared to when they are puppies. he says their urinary system something something (sorry ar, my memory not so fantastic) is fully developed by 1 year. As puppies, the chances of having incontinence and other undesirable side effects of castration is much much higher. he mentioned a few other stuff, but as usual, i can't remember them well enough to repeat it here. hahaha. Blush

milo's vet is dr mervin, at hands 'n' paws in aman suria. here's the contacts in case u wanna look for dis guy:

Tel: 03-78046539

Address: C-17G, Jalan PJU 1/45, Aman Suria Damansara, 47301 PJ.

shannie
Novice

Oct 20, 2007, 6:06 AM

Post #15 of 19 (3158 views)
Shortcut

thanks alot for the contact details....think will bring mika there one day and see what the vet says Smile

how's the rates like? expensive?

loafer
Dog Kichi

Oct 20, 2007, 12:21 PM

Post #16 of 19 (3152 views)
Shortcut

same thing happened to my JRT last time. Vet gave the same advise and the operation was performed when he was 1 years old. Nothing to worry about cause its quite a routine procedure. Not sure how rare that condition is but apparently its quite common in Australia (got my JRT there while studying).

Only drawback is your puppy will have that cone thing around his neck for a good week or 2.Laugh

Join the JRT Zone

J-J
Dog Kichi

Nov 1, 2007, 11:46 PM

Post #17 of 19 (3059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [loafer] Undescended testicles [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry for the late reply! was out of country for the past 2 weeks or so.

loafer: good to hear! i spose complications would be rare, but u know lor, tend to worry about possiblity of anything bad that might happen to our little furry friends.

shannie: he quoted rm200 for d operation, no hidden costs.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 6, 2007, 10:19 AM

Post #18 of 19 (2994 views)
Shortcut

Yes, they have to be removed as fast as possible to prevent any problems like cancer. Undescended testicles are very dangerous & can be fatal to your dog...Better remove them as fast as possible.

shannie
Novice

Nov 6, 2007, 8:07 PM

Post #19 of 19 (2988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Undescended testicles [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks everyone Smile

should be bringing mika for the surgery soon....he has been sick and recovering cos i brought him for grooming and his haircut was very short...he got very upset and problems with allergies and vomiting Unsure

he's much better now....thanks again Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my