Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
how obedient is yr dog?

J-J
Dog Kichi

Oct 10, 2007, 1:34 AM

Post #1 of 17 (4875 views)
Shortcut
how obedient is yr dog? Can't Post

Hey I was juz wondering ah… r u guys happy with the level of obedience of yr dog(s)? I hv read umpteen dog books, enrolled my dog n passed basic obedience class (barely) n hv practiced some top dog tips (from d trainer in obedience class and various books/videos).

Even though my maltese is KIND OF submission n obedient when he feels like it/there’s a treat in sight/he’s trying to earn his freedom out of his enclosure (where we keep him during d nite), he can be really no manners at other times. ie. he runs out the front door, we say ‘milo come here’, he pretends not to hear. Comes back after we’ve called out like a dozen times. This happens sometimes. At oth times he’s really good and obeys immediately.

But the thing is, if you watch cesar millan’s dvd where the dogs are super obedient, dog aren’t spose to only obey WHEN THEY FEEL LIKE IT. They spose to obey ALL THE TIME if one has correctly placed themselves as pack leader. I start thinking – man, have I done something wrong or didn’t do something right? U guys feel this way sometimes? I dun think my dog thinks I’m pack leader man…. more like pack joker. Hahahaha…. Sly

J-J
Dog Kichi

Nov 13, 2007, 11:42 PM

Post #2 of 17 (4830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [J-J] how obedient is yr dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

okay, i guess u guys not buying into d whole leader of d pack, cesar millan, discipline then affection, kinda training / expectations huh. lol. think i'm being really idealistic - being a 1st time dog owner and wanting to get everything right.

just came back from a week stay at my cousin's place. she has 2 dogs, 5 and 3 yrs old. also obedience skool trained... also same same like my 9 mth old maltese. sometimes obey, sometimes don't - and sometimes stubborn as hell! lol. i think the leader of d pack position is really hard to achieve yea? if d dog has no major problems, then good oredi hor... can't expect too much...

d whole leader of d pack theory is really attractive tho. if we position ourselves correctly as pack leader, there is no real need to 'train' d dog, cos d dog will juz obey everything we say! waaaaa... if only mere mortals like us can get those type of results with our dogs... sigh.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Nov 14, 2007, 6:03 PM

Post #3 of 17 (4820 views)
Shortcut

I think you have have obedient, disciplined and husbandry mix up. Obedience is you telling what to do and when does the dog know when it is suppose to listen and when to play. Eg, dogs for the blind, once their harness is on they do what they are suppose to do and they do not greed other dogs they happen to see on the street however once the harness is off they are a regular dog in short this is your problem when you say soetimes it does not listen plus your body language is important, posture when giving a command and when you play... all these things are signal to the dog. Think about it.

J-J
Dog Kichi

Nov 16, 2007, 2:58 AM

Post #4 of 17 (4802 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] how obedient is yr dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmm... u've got a point there. when my dog is under training (ie. in obedience class) he does what he's told to do, more often than at other times anyway. and yea, coming to think about it probably cos i'm not giving out obvious enough signals whether its play time or serious stuff time.

but when it comes to discipline and obedience, isn't an obedient dog suppose to sit when d command is given regardless of whether they are in the errr... correct 'mode' (for the lack of a better word) or not?

an example from the trainer: if a dog is properly trained, and runs out on the street, shouting 'down!' might save the dog's life. so if the dog is in a play 'mode' that's not going to work rite?

i DO feel confused with the concepts and subsequently what i'm suppose to aim for or expect to achieve.

J-J
Dog Kichi

Nov 16, 2007, 3:05 AM

Post #5 of 17 (4801 views)
Shortcut

hmmm... u've got a point there. when my dog is under training (ie. in obedience class) he does what he's told to do, more often than at other times anyway. and yea, coming to think about it probably cos i'm not giving out obvious enough signals whether its play time or serious stuff time.

but when it comes to discipline and obedience, isn't an obedient dog suppose to obey when the command is given regardless of whether they are in the errr... correct 'mode' (for the lack of a better word) or not?

an example from the trainer: if a dog is properly trained, and runs out on the street, shouting 'down!' might save the dog's life. so if the dog is in a play 'mode' that's not going to work rite? or u mean if our posture/tone is correct, then regardless of whether the dog is in the right 'mode' or not, we should expect instant correct response when a command is given?

i DO feel confused with the concepts and subsequently what i'm suppose to aim for or expect to achieve.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Nov 16, 2007, 3:43 AM

Post #6 of 17 (4797 views)
Shortcut

It is rather difficult to explain if you wish give me a call at 603 7845-8048

J-J
Dog Kichi

Nov 16, 2007, 5:46 PM

Post #7 of 17 (4783 views)
Shortcut

thanks! Smile will do so in the evenings (in case you're out working during office hours).

zephyros
Canine Addict

Nov 24, 2007, 12:30 AM

Post #8 of 17 (4718 views)
Shortcut

any updates? :D

i got this issue with my maltese but can't really complain actually. he rarely gets to play with other dogs, so when he does, his "reponse" are kinda delayed/lagging lol, takes him a while to think, "master called i should go to him.....or should i....hmmm" kinda a thing lol but at other times he will come. unless he did something wrong and he knows. he'll take FOREVER to come. when he does and i just lift my finger he'll scream like i hit him with an iron rod or something...drama king...then mummy comes running out and i kena scolding pulak lol

J-J
Dog Kichi

Dec 9, 2007, 11:14 AM

Post #9 of 17 (4669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] how obedient is yr dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

zephy, sorry for d late reply! year end is hectic time at d ofis, so i haven't been online for d longest time. and i've completely forgotten to call PSY... Blush

would be great if PSY can explain here, since there are 2 confused persons now... hahaha.

btw, ur maltese really VERY drama la... very farnee!!! my maltese not like that, so i didn't know got dogs so drama one. when my maltese does something wrong, he hides. usually BEFORE i know he did anything wrong. he goes missing before we find d evidence of his wrongdoing. lol. then when we scold him he will take it like a man (for a lack of a better term!) - face very serious, ears flat backwards, tail between his legs. he will look very sorry and very pitiful - but chances is he will do it again sometime soon. jialat...hahaha...

zephyros
Canine Addict

Dec 10, 2007, 12:27 AM

Post #10 of 17 (4661 views)
Shortcut

oic oic hehe okok that's good:D

rayter
Dog Kichi

Dec 26, 2007, 6:30 PM

Post #11 of 17 (4549 views)
Shortcut

my dogs are such spoiled brats. i always a hard time making them stay in their dog beds. they love to play around the house, that sometimes gives me headache. but i still love them

Frown
"A dog is a heart beat, at my feet."
Pet Articles | Bark Collars | Bark Control Collar
Training Collar | Pet Supplies | Dog Supply

PSY
K9 Kaki

Dec 26, 2007, 10:42 PM

Post #12 of 17 (4540 views)
Shortcut

Do apologise but I have not been paying much attention to this topic lately. Anyway, the issue here (dramatic) in most cases is in the breeding, it sounds like the dog is a very timid, there is not much you can do but build up it's confidence, for instance use a different tone in your voice when you reprimand it. You can also try calling it with treats and you retreating so to get it running towards you and when it gets to you do not pat it too hard more like stroking it gently, it may help. From time to time I have always mentionned, try to get your puppy from a breeder and my difinition of a breeder is one that only breeds one breed of dog plus it would be best if the pedigree has show bloodlines.

J-J
Dog Kichi

Dec 30, 2007, 10:30 AM

Post #13 of 17 (4524 views)
Shortcut

PSY: but regarding obedience, is it reasonable for us owners to, for example, expect our dogs to come when they are called? bcos try as i might in establishing myself as top dog ala cesar millan, it sure isn't working! haha. don't get me wrong, he is a fairly obedient dog, but not all the time. if he's in play, and i say come, he should obey rite? i bet a million bucks i will be sorely ignored if a give a command when he's fully distracted with something fun...

by the way, thanks for all the info so far. i had no idea this drama behaviour in dogs is correlated to timidness. my maltese is the OPPOSITE of timid, friends with everyone at 1st sight. no wonder he's not a drama dog. drama dogs are comical... they're so cute. haha.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Dec 31, 2007, 12:38 AM

Post #14 of 17 (4507 views)
Shortcut

As mentioned, you have my contact give me a call, it would be better and easier to explain.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Dec 31, 2007, 1:18 AM

Post #15 of 17 (4504 views)
Shortcut

if u wanna hv a superdog...then u also need a super-trainer...

how old is your dog....?

in your case whereby u mentioned that your dog only obeys when he feels like it.....then maybe he just need to more time to get mature and learn to ignore distraction from the surrounding

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

J-J
Dog Kichi

Dec 31, 2007, 8:38 AM

Post #16 of 17 (4499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] how obedient is yr dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

lol, amanda. yea, super trainer definitely needed. reading books and watching videos on d topic and self practise ain't working for me. oh, my maltese is a male, 11 months old. almost out of puppyhood. at about 4 months, he attended and passed basic obedience class. maybe that's y he's KIND OF obedient. hahaha...

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 2, 2008, 8:15 PM

Post #17 of 17 (4431 views)
Shortcut

every dog is different. ways of training them is also different. The advice given by forumers here are what works for their dog but it is not guaranteed that it will work for your dog. You have to cater the training to your dog. That is what trainers are for if not everyone can just learn from books n videos. Be sure to find a reputable trainer not those who attend OB classes then go around telling everyone they are qualified.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my