Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Regurgitation

kyels_k
Dog Kichi

Oct 9, 2007, 7:17 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1314 views)
Shortcut
Regurgitation Can't Post

I've been sitting down at my desk doing my revision when I first heard Shay coughing. I'm not too sure whether she's choking or coughing but I think it's the latter because she was sleeping soundly when it happened.

When she coughed, it was as if she was trying regurgitate. Is this normal and I checked her body; she was not shivering neither having an abnormal temperature.

Any advices?

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace. (Milan Kundera)

staceymay
Novice

Oct 16, 2007, 2:59 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kyels_k] Regurgitation [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there.

Dogs have skeletal muscle in the upper part of their esophagus, this means that they can somehow control the muscle and regurgitate if they wished to. But, dogs don't just regurgitate for no reasons. Maybe your doggie choke on something while you were not looking? Or was he actually trying to vomit?

What happen after that?

I hope it's not serious, if it occurs again, it's better to consult a vet asap oh!

Stacey-CW

CEDRICSIN
Novice

Oct 18, 2007, 9:04 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [staceymay] Regurgitation [In reply to] Can't Post

wow.... are u sure??????? i heard only cows and other 4-stomach animals can regurgitate if they want to because of the skeletal muscle of the upper digestive system.. i didnt know that dog can do that also.......but i do agree partly on doggie regurgitate because of certain diseaseS, ask your vet maybe they can explain in detail

J-J
Dog Kichi

Oct 18, 2007, 10:32 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kyels_k] Regurgitation [In reply to] Can't Post

hey kyels... i know how u muz feel cos i was pretty shocked when i heard it d 1st time. lol. milo, my maltese, not only makes sounds like he's gagging, sometimes (although rarely) some liquid-ish yellow-ie stuff actually comes up with it. aside from that, he honks fairly regularly as well (i will hear it at least once in two days or so).

i've checked with d vet. turns out, it's a pretty common thing, especially for dogs with short nozzles, usually toy dogs. d honking (which your dog doesn't have) is known as a collapsing trachea. vet says if it doesn't occur too often (once a day or so is fine) and there's no change in frequency or appetite or energy levels etc, then there's no need to worry. Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my