Basic Guidelines to Train a Pup

kyels_k
Dog Kichi

Oct 5, 2007, 8:39 PM

Post #1 of 14 (3764 views)
Shortcut
Basic Guidelines to Train a Pup Can't Post

Hi all,

I just need some basic guidelines to train my 7 week old pup. For example, those simple commands (sit, stay, sit stay ... et cetera). She's still playful and sometimes, wouldn't listen but pretends to be busy with her toys.

Help would be appreciated.

Smile

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace. (Milan Kundera)

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 6, 2007, 5:15 PM

Post #2 of 14 (3746 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kyels_k] Basic Guidelines to Train a Pup [In reply to] Can't Post

So young you want to train your pup liaoCrazy

Just let him enjoy his puppy hood first lah.

shekel
Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2007, 4:03 AM

Post #3 of 14 (3731 views)
Shortcut

hehehe! too young for her. best way is talk to her every day. when she get use with your expression it will be easier for future.
Shekel

perth
Novice

Oct 8, 2007, 5:41 AM

Post #4 of 14 (3713 views)
Shortcut

kyels

maybe u use the wrong language or dialect, have u tried bahasa? DUDUK!! TINGGAL (STAY?) MARI. DUDUKTINGGAL!! or Chortai, Mouyuk!! Korlei (come)...
just not everydog is good in english.

janthk
Canine Addict

Oct 9, 2007, 4:31 AM

Post #5 of 14 (3691 views)
Shortcut

Hi Kyels,

At this stage, your dog is not ready for any formal training yet. However, you can start preparing your dog for training.

The basic to all trainings is to get and hold the dog's attention. So at this puppy stage, you can start training this. Dont expect to get long period of attention span from the pup yet. So start short.

Tell your dog "Watch". The moment your dog makes eye contact with you, immediately reward with treats or toy depending on what drives your dog. Start out by rewarding at the slightest eye contact. Eventually when you dog knows that watch means eye contact, drag it longer and make your dog hold eye contact with you for longer periods of time before rewarding. Start off with rewarding after 2 seconds of eye contact and eventually drag it to 30 seconds and then to 60 seconds. Train only for short period of time like 15 minute session but you can do a couple of sessions per day. Make it fun for your dog and always end your training sessions with lotsa rewards and praise. This will make your dog like and look forward to training sessions.

Also at puppy stage, play often with your dog. Build on his play drive. You will find that this will help later in life when you want to start formal training. A dog's obsession with an object or food makes training so much more easier. I learn this from experience because I have 2 dogs. One of them has only one obsession and that's to be near me. This makes him quite difficult to train. The other one is obsess with both food and ball and I find it so much more easier to train her.

Good luck in your training.

shekel
Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2007, 5:01 AM

Post #6 of 14 (3670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [perth] Basic Guidelines to Train a Pup [In reply to] Can't Post

this is so funny... if you bring up your furkid when they are very young age they can understand your laguage. but if over 1 year old then maybe should try other language.Wink

i use english and hokkien with my boyTongue. so far he understand. but again they won't understand every words we say but our body language is most importand that's what i think.

my boy when he don't understand what i'm saying he'll frown or his head turn aside

Janthk she's right listen to her
Shekel

(This post was edited by shekel on Oct 10, 2007, 5:05 AM)

kyels_k
Dog Kichi

Oct 11, 2007, 6:24 PM

Post #7 of 14 (3635 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shekel] Basic Guidelines to Train a Pup [In reply to] Can't Post

Guys,

It's not that I don't want to let her enjoy the puppyhood, it's just that sometimes she gets on my nerves by doing things while I am not looking. I cannot just sit there and be a watch dog and tend to her like a mother. I too, have deadlines to meet and of course, I play with her.

I want her to be obedient, that's all because my patience is running low. I use English most of the time and my late dog came to me when it was one plus, he understood English as well. Usually I don't use other dialects.

She likes playing ball and I play with her, kept on saying "fetch" and "give me" when she brings the ball back. I just want her to grow up ... =|

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace. (Milan Kundera)

janthk
Canine Addict

Oct 12, 2007, 12:39 AM

Post #8 of 14 (3623 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

Please enjoy the puppyhood. That's what having a puppy is all about. They will grow up all too soon. You'll see.

shekel
Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2007, 6:50 AM

Post #9 of 14 (3617 views)
Shortcut

having a puppy is just like having a baby. they need attention and love. just need 2 more months if he's a fast learner. PATIENCETongue
Shekel

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 16, 2007, 5:01 PM

Post #10 of 14 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Well then you should have got an older puppy of at least 4-5 months old where you can straight send for professional training. You can't expect a one yr old kid to not misbehave. That's y i will ask new owners on their schedule and commitment before giving them a puppy. Feel free to call me if you wanna put the dog up for adoption i will make sure that the pup go to an owner who has time for the dog.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

PSY
K9 Kaki

Oct 18, 2007, 2:24 AM

Post #11 of 14 (3501 views)
Shortcut

Hi, first of all you should have taken your pup back when it is 8 to 9 weeks old. Training can start but your criteria is incorrect, teach your dog "heel" work first then the rest. When I let pups to their new home, they were all 10 to 12 weeks old and all can do reasonable heel work. Actually, they call this puppy training which most training centre do not teach.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Nov 24, 2007, 12:43 AM

Post #12 of 14 (3336 views)
Shortcut

haha don't worry kyles, it's never too young to train your puppy. what other forum members said is kinda true BUT you can still enjoy the puppy hood. i'm enjoying mine but my puppy knows how to sit and wait for his food and not jump.

you can teach yours table manners as starters ;)

1) say please = sit down and wait for the food. jumping = wait longer. puppies will literally drop their butt to sit. so this is easy, you can check my blog, i've posted mine there.

2) make training a game. if your puppy can sit, your puppy can stay! as your puppy waits for you, slowly move away. as soon as your puppy moves from the sit position, do a odd noise or something (not NO or scolding tone, something different that would get the puppy's attention without making your puppy come). make your puppy stay again, move away to the point you know roughly when your puppy will get up, then call the name and "Come". when your pup comes, pet, cuddle kiss, treats.

3) from sit to lay down -> use a treat and slowly from the nose, go down to the floor. let the pup follow you. when done correctly, give the treat. easy right? :D

training can be fun, all depends on how you interprete and do it. my puppy is about your puppy's age and he's doing fine. he's one heck of a puppy. sits, lay down, get up, stand, and stay. BUT he still acts like a puppy, at a different level...he recently moved his bed from his "home" to the living room near the balcony...lol he even steals the nylabone from my 1.5 year old maltese right from his mouth and runs away with it. so training doesn't really ruin the puppyhood. it makes it much more fun and "bearable" lol what happens when your pup knows sit, down and stand? practise it during meal time! he'll sit when i'm preparing the food. as soon as i step close to him he's so used to the routine he'll automatically down, sit, stand etc. before i even ask lol seeing him do all those makes me proud of him and it's also funny seeing him guess which one is the correct one to get food lol.

train your puppy like you're playing with it and it'll be fine. puppies will terrorize you when they have lots of energy. so teaching them new tricks is a way to burn those energy. don't take it like "training" but more towards, nurturing the need to learn

(This post was edited by zephyros on Nov 24, 2007, 12:51 AM)

zephyros
Canine Addict

Nov 24, 2007, 12:53 AM

Post #13 of 14 (3332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shekel] Basic Guidelines to Train a Pup [In reply to] Can't Post

so when we want our dog to sit, we move our butts up and down? LOL jkjkjk i think i got too much sugar intake today, very hyper lol

tomncp
New User

Dec 21, 2007, 11:25 PM

Post #14 of 14 (3230 views)
Shortcut

hey I am very happy to tell you.. to learn all these I visited a site basicsdogtraining.com

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my