Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
Shredding Newspapers, Biting

kyels_k
Dog Kichi

Oct 5, 2007, 7:13 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2698 views)
Shortcut
Shredding Newspapers, Biting Can't Post

My Silky Terrier (name's Shay) came to me three days ago and she is only 7 weeks old and she loves to shred the newspapers I've laid down on the floor (elimination area) into pieces. I've told and warned her not to do so. She listens; whenever I'm around but I have to attend lectures two days in a week so I'm pretty much worried that she'll step on her pee and stools all over my room. The disadvantage is that I'm living in a condominium and I chose not to let her out to the hall.

I wouldn't want to go to the extent of caging her because Shay may yelp/whine if I am not around. I don't leash her too. She roams around freely in my room. Also, she cannot stop biting my fingers and toes. I gave her toys, played with her yet she does the same thing. I warned her but she'd only listen to it for a while.

So, how do I got about for these problems? I need a solution before I could officially bring her home and present it to my parents. My late toy poodle was very obedient and does not bite things. But Shay's different. Perhaps it's because she's still a 7 weeks old pup?

Crazy

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace. (Milan Kundera)

(This post was edited by kyels_k on Oct 5, 2007, 7:20 PM)

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Oct 5, 2007, 9:07 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kyels_k] Shredding Newspapers, Biting [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmm just be consistent with ur training lor.... of cos u don expect her to learn what u want her to do and what not to do overnight mah....I can safely say, it took my puppy 6 whole months to learn the all the dos and donts in the house. Initially of cos have to deal with lots of shredded paper and poo picking and pee cleaning all over the house lor but they'll learn.Crazy

You just have to be more stern and strict with them. Strike a little fear in them. Hahahahah yeah controversial method, but heck, my dogs learnt better that way. They have associated "WOIIIIII" and "HAAAAHHH" as "Ok, let's get away before she whacks us"

I think it's better if u get a play pen and restrict the space that she can roam freely. Like that U wont have to break ur back cleaning the whole room every single day. They are puppies, they need to be discplined but giving them total freedom is also not the way to go especially if u wan to housebreak it.

I'm very supportive of cage training them. It makes life easier for you as the handler. Cage training doesnt mean pee/poo in the cage. In fact, its the other way round. When they are in the cage, they don pee and poo but they see their cage as their safe haven. When they get smack, they run to their cages to hide, when they are tired, they sleep in them. And because they see their cage as their den, they are very willing to let u cage them. They wont whine, yelp, bark or anything like that, They just play and sleep whenever they are in there. Most importantly they dont see the cage as a punishment. Most ppl like to cage the dogs whenever they have done something wrong. That makes the dog fear the cage. My dogs, if they do something wrong and I cage them, they are more than willing to get into the cage themselves cos to them, that means they wont get smack. Tongue

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

kyels_k
Dog Kichi

Oct 6, 2007, 12:38 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] Shredding Newspapers, Biting [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Steffy,

Thank you for the advices, I truly appreciate. I was thinking of caging her too but I am worried she will yelp/whine when I am not around and she is alone in the cage within the vicinity of my room. I have power packed classes for two days in a week and will only come home in the evening, so worried she might whine and that it will attract attention. I'm living in a condominium by the way. Hence, I gave it a second thought.

But from what you've said, it sounds typically good just that my main concern is the yelping/whining part.

(:

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace. (Milan Kundera)

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 6, 2007, 4:47 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2674 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kyels_k] Shredding Newspapers, Biting [In reply to] Can't Post

Caging your pup will not help solve the problem. It will make your dog more motivated to bite things once you let him out from JAIL

Just say "No'" when you catch him shredding newspaper. He will soon learn & bore of shredding newspaper.

You problem only can be fully solve when he reach about 7-8 month old. This is usually his teeth already fully grown out adult teeth.

(This post was edited by chrisong on Oct 6, 2007, 4:48 PM)

kyels_k
Dog Kichi

Oct 6, 2007, 7:13 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Shredding Newspapers, Biting [In reply to] Can't Post

Hence when I got her, I decided not to cage her. But if I do build and pen to keep her in there so that she could learn how to eliminate properly, do you think it will work?

(:

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my