Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
what shampoo?

J-J
Dog Kichi

Oct 2, 2007, 11:58 PM

Post #1 of 11 (6824 views)
Shortcut
what shampoo? Can't Post

hey guys... was juz wondering what price range shampoo do you use for your doggies?

i notice d price can range quite abit for the average sized botol (means not counting those big 'tong' type):- it goes anywhere from the reasonable RM10-20 per bottle to above RM30 (which i consider pricey).

i'm a relatively new dog owner, and at the moment can't see much advantage in the pricey-er ones. at the same time am abit wary of the local ones - which usually form the 'cheap' range of RM20 and under. can't shake the mentality that if it's too cheap, means something not rite! haha. LaughBlush so i'm currently using the medium range, Hertz from U.S., RM28 for the average sized botol.

any idea if there is any difference between the expensive and cheap ones? any real justification for switching to an expensive brand or any reason why we shouldn't just go for cheap local produced brand like MCM? wld appreciate any feedback. tq much much!

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Oct 3, 2007, 6:37 PM

Post #2 of 11 (6814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [J-J] what shampoo? [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL JJ.....hahahah let me share with u my experience...Tongue

Expensive doesnt mean good and cheap doesnt necessarily means not good too. Tongue I've tried super expensive SPA ranges in the US which cost like USD20+ per small lil bottle I think about 12oz or less only. The result....so so lah. Nothing fantastic. Waste money only. Konon lah got lavender which is suppose to calm them down, lantak lah...bath already also hyper like crazy. So defeats the whole SPA purpose. Crazy

Then next, I tried something cheaper <USD15 for a bottle of 16oz, Smell of the shampoo superb. Really good. But after using on it on my dog, the smell is horrid. Ok lah...me no like it. So I guess, chemically that shampoo dont work too well with my dog's body odour. Oh the brand is 8 in 1 something like that. Sometimes I see it sold in Safari.

Then came back to Malaysia, not much choices. So my friend recommended this Taiwanese brand. Big bottle with a pump punya only <RM30. So far so good. Tried the Rose and Peach. Still like the Rose. Ok don ask me what brand, got sell. Got chinese characters on it punya. Clear see-thru bottle with color color liquid. Hahahahaahah aiya not many shampoo comes with the pump like out bath shampoo lah. Only downside, the coat pretty dry after using it. Smell wise, good with dog and last quite a while.

Then puppy, used Espree cos dog came with Espree for puppy. I hate baby powder smell. Bottle about RM35+. Also pretty dry. But shampoo thicker than the taiwanese brand. So don have to use too much. But use only lor don have to buy.

Even tried something called Bark 2 Basic. This one have to dilute with water and use. Result, I feel coat is softer without creme rinse. But not much scrubbing lor cos not foamy enough. Rascal don like it. Everytime I used it, it;s like he's giving me the impression "That's It? No scrubbing session?" Crazy

Now planning to try Biogroom. Also above RM30.

I personally do not like shampoos that have to dilute with water and use. I prefer put straight on them and scrub my way thru.

But I definitely use Creme Rinse on them to soften their coat.

Some prefer human grade shampoo which I've also tried. Hahah didnt know I must dilute with water. So I went to put straight on them. Result, waste a lot of water washing it off!!!!! Crazy Sometimes run out of Creme Rinse, i just use Dove Conditioner Mild. Works equally well but have to use more water to wash off lor. Creme rinse no need to wash off.

I'm quite wary of shampoo after the horrible experience with 8 in 1. Aiyooo the green apple smell was good in the bottle. After put on dog, the longer u scrub, the smell turns horrid lah. Smells like damp clothes. Pirate donnu if its the apple or not. So now, I avoid all apple smelling based shampoo.

Anyway try and error lor. My dogs are ACSes. So maybe what works best for mine may not be for u. That's just my experience lah.

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

J-J
Dog Kichi

Oct 3, 2007, 7:35 PM

Post #3 of 11 (6806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] what shampoo? [In reply to] Can't Post

waaaa... steffy. very thorough explanation! tq tq!

so hor, the conclusion is: good or not depends on the brand, not the price, hor? in which case, i will start experimenting from the cheaper local brands upwards la. as long as milo wun mati from poisoning (i know, i exaggerate. akakaka), or it wun render frontline spot-on less effective or other undesirable effects like that. i'm still staying clear of the thai/china ones tho. scary... msian/spore ones ok kwa...

petshop guy says milo gotta use shampoo with coat whitener cos milo is a white white maltese. i oso dunno if got any material effect since i've nvr used 'normal' shampoo before. but since price oso same same nvrmind lor. SmileWink

note: typo in earlier post. the shampoo brand i'm using on milo is HARTZ, not hertz (which is a car rental company! lol).

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Oct 3, 2007, 8:53 PM

Post #4 of 11 (6797 views)
Shortcut

hmmmm yeah lah best to avoid thai and china made ones. If it's under a big giant company but made in china, then it's ok. But if it;s all in chinese, better dont lor. Hahahahaha Tongue

So far, nothing affected the frontline. U'll notice the difference in the texture of the coat lah. Some very very dry, like after bathing, u touch the body like can get the sound of clean dishes washed in Axion. Hahahahahaha Tongue some, after bathing, coat still soft like never washed off the shampoo like that.

Usually all those color enhancing shampoo sure got some active ingredient in it lah....like to make dogs whiter, how? Sure bleaching agent lor..... to make brown dogs more copper like looking or black dogs more black, sure some color enhacing agent in it lah. Like human hair lah, u wanna dye super blonde, sure have to bleach mah, u wan to make ur white clothes whiter, sure have to use chlorox. Even if u wan to make ur teeth whiter, also use bleaching agent mah. Should be ok lah......just avoid eyes and nose lor. No one told u to leave the shampoo on the fur for 1/2day mah.

Hahah my housemate suggested getting the whitening one for my dog cos Gizmo is alittle too brown. So they figured if we keep using whitening shampoo on him, he'll get fairer. Hahahaahaha Tongue

U wan to use human shampoo also can.........hahahahahah be prepared to use more water lor. But I cannot deny the fact that with Dove body wash ah, the fur super duper zuper soft like teddy bears mannn...... hahahahahahahah but bath him until my backbone can break lor... Crazy

Aiya don try donnu mah. My friend even tried using dish washing liquid to bath his dogs before also. hahahahahahahaha his dad so blur blur go and grab the dish washing liquid and bath his 2 GSDs. Result, the fur when u touch, hahahahahahahha super clean mannn.......totally stripped off all the coat oil. They were totally grease-free for days! Tongue

I think dog shampoo is harmless to them even if they lick it or even if kena their eyes and nose. But with human shampoo, u gotta make sure they don lick it lor. But lantak lah....can use lah. Hahahaha I specially bought a Dove Mild conditioner for them ok. Sometimes lazy to go and buy the creme rinse, use Dove nia lah. Cheaper somemore. One creme rinse can buy 2 big dove liao lor.

Have fun trying out brands lor. I prefer fruity smelling ones except apple. Havent tried those special Oat formulated ones.

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 4, 2007, 5:36 AM

Post #5 of 11 (6784 views)
Shortcut

There don't have one brand of Shampoo & Conditioner suited for all breed. You need to experiment and try it out each and every brand of Shampoo & Conditioner available in the market and see the result yourself.

Currently I using Spa Shampoo & Conditioner (for human) for my Silkys. One bottle cost me RM150+. I got it from Shine.

My advice don't go for cheap & local made Shampoo & Conditioner. Few brand I suggest you try it out:-

1. #1 All Systems

2. Biogroom

3. Shampoo & Conditioner for Human (Pantene, Charlton(Spa), SunSilk)

J-J
Dog Kichi

Oct 5, 2007, 11:47 PM

Post #6 of 11 (6759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] what shampoo? [In reply to] Can't Post

ya hor… true. if no bleaching agent den how to make coat whiter rite. aiks, whenever i bathe him, sure a bit (mostly during rinsing) will get into his eyes cos he moves around quite abit. even when his four paws are firmly planted on d ground, his head will still move here n there. Crazy n i do think it irritates his eyes, as to be expected as d whitening shampoos are not d tearless type. After bath sure abit red-red oo. so ‘charm’… which was d reason i was considering switching to tearless instead of whitening.

huh, steffy u wanna whiten gizmo ah? lol…!!! dun think d effect so keng chow, cos i’ve been using whitening shampoo on milo since day 1. until now he’s still off-white wan la. kakakakaka.

chris, thanks for d suggestions! i remember seeing biogroom around. not so cheap hor? more expensive than d hartz brand i’m u sing rite now. i oso feel not entirely comfy with local brands, but it’s more of general stereotyping (i admit! hahahah) rather than a founded prejudice. juz wondering hor, any particular reason u dun like local brands ah, chris?

chewec
Novice

Nov 28, 2007, 9:46 PM

Post #7 of 11 (6593 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
ya hor… true. if no bleaching agent den how to make coat whiter rite. aiks, whenever i bathe him, sure a bit (mostly during rinsing) will get into his eyes cos he moves around quite abit. even when his four paws are firmly planted on d ground, his head will still move here n there. Crazy n i do think it irritates his eyes, as to be expected as d whitening shampoos are not d tearless type. After bath sure abit red-red oo. so ‘charm’… which was d reason i was considering switching to tearless instead of whitening.

huh, steffy u wanna whiten gizmo ah? lol…!!! dun think d effect so keng chow, cos i’ve been using whitening shampoo on milo since day 1. until now he’s still off-white wan la. kakakakaka.

chris, thanks for d suggestions! i remember seeing biogroom around. not so cheap hor? more expensive than d hartz brand i’m u sing rite now. i oso feel not entirely comfy with local brands, but it’s more of general stereotyping (i admit! hahahah) rather than a founded prejudice. juz wondering hor, any particular reason u dun like local brands ah, chris?

There is one brand of shampoo which does not contain breach agent to whiten the white fur, it contains optical brightener, not bleach! the result is fantastic after few baths, furthermore, it enhances the color part too! The Brand of the product is PURE PAWS and there are from USA, Not cheap but very good!

You can log on to their website to have a look at the products www.purepaws.net

J-J
Dog Kichi

Dec 9, 2007, 9:59 AM

Post #8 of 11 (6538 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chewec] what shampoo? [In reply to] Can't Post

chew, thanks for d info. will look out for pure paws next time i'm in a pet shop (which is every weekend anyway, haha). i've recently bought biogroom whitening & tearless, but d botol so small, dun think will last long. and sorry for d late reply, hv not been online much - end of d yr is busy time at d office!

rayter
Dog Kichi

Dec 16, 2007, 9:17 PM

Post #9 of 11 (6470 views)
Shortcut

i use flea and tick shampoo and conditioner, making my dog bug-free.

hehe.

FrownFrownFrown
"A dog is a heart beat, at my feet."
Pet Articles | Bark Collars | Bark Control Collar
Training Collar | Pet Supplies | Dog Supply

chewec
Novice

Jan 8, 2008, 5:08 AM

Post #10 of 11 (6282 views)
Shortcut

No problem, if you can't find the product in any of the pet shop visited, i know the dealer in Malaysia, if you need can contact me at 012-2822148. As i know the price is quite similar to those range of shampoo you mentioned but the volume is much larger in 500ml bottle!

exlish

May 18, 2008, 7:30 AM

Post #11 of 11 (5672 views)
Shortcut

hi...

just to share my opp....ive tried MCM(apple flavour)....not that its not good but it does not last....ive a mongrel,toy poodle n a silky terrier...bathing time the smell was ok but the afta bath smell was quite bad...then when they were dried it was fine but my doggies are super hyper so in two days time they start having bad odour which they never had when using SALON DETAILS....

the moral is the MCM shampoo is very mild...doesn really leaves the coat fluffy n clean for long...my poodle looks great for the 1st two days but fur was flat on the 3rd day...hope it helps...:)

regards,

exlish

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my