DOG KEEPING : INDOOR OR OUTDOOR??

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wls2948
Novice

Oct 2, 2007, 5:43 AM

Post #1 of 30 (2648 views)
Shortcut
DOG KEEPING : INDOOR OR OUTDOOR?? Can't Post

I am thinking of getting a dog but can't decide whether to keep it indoor or outdoor:

the Pros of keeping it indoor:

better security for my family and the dog (no one can poison it)

less chances of ticks and fleas from the garden

it won't get chilled or scared esp when lightning and storms

the Pros of keeping it outdoor:

it will mean the house will be cleaner

it will do its poo pee outside

it will not be disturbing guests who comes to the house...

hope to hear some input from everyone who cares to advise...thanks

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2007, 7:19 PM

Post #2 of 30 (2631 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wls2948] DOG KEEPING : INDOOR OR OUTDOOR?? [In reply to] Can't Post

pro indoor - less likely of the dog being stolen... mind u, dognapping is on the rise these days, so do practice caution... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

(This post was edited by ai_ney on Oct 2, 2007, 7:20 PM)

Old Man
Dog Kichi

Oct 3, 2007, 6:47 AM

Post #3 of 30 (2612 views)
Shortcut

i think it should depend on what breed you are talking about. say you are buying a rottweiler, do you tink you going to keep indoor? in another way, if you are buying a chihuahua will you keep it out door?
A Old Man That Always Look Young and His Young But Old looking Pitbull

fartu
Dog Kichi

Oct 3, 2007, 8:16 AM

Post #4 of 30 (2608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Old Man] DOG KEEPING : INDOOR OR OUTDOOR?? [In reply to] Can't Post

i think it is better to let the dog choose, why decide for them? if they like to stay indoor let them stay lah. there must be a reason for it.

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Oct 3, 2007, 6:57 PM

Post #5 of 30 (2602 views)
Shortcut

yup yup agree with all....

See the breed lor. If meant to guard house like GSD and rotties, takkan u wanna turn them to couch potatoes?

If small chis, takkan u expect them to scare away pencuri. Crazy Give ppl curi got lah.

My dogs are indoors because:

1. I don wan them to roll on the grass and later come and jump on my bed and roll on it too.

2. Don wan to bring home ticks and fleas even though got frontline.

3. Don wan ppl to dog-napped them/poison them cos they are not guard dogs but slaves for food.

4. Both hates the sun and wet grass. So they choose to be indoors when it's hot or wet out there. They only go out to pee/poo and then run back in and laze on the marble floor.

Oh oh oh....one thing bad....

ACS=long fur=Shedding=Fur everywhere=lots of vacuuming/dusting and mopping to do.

2 ACS double all that. Hahahahahahaah

So if u're a super neat freak which hates seeing even a spec of dust on the TV, then having them indoor may not be ur option.

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

(This post was edited by steffy1811 on Oct 3, 2007, 6:59 PM)

wls2948
Novice

Oct 3, 2007, 9:52 PM

Post #6 of 30 (2585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] DOG KEEPING : INDOOR OR OUTDOOR?? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for all your inputs and sharing. Much appreciated

Just one more thing...how does the doggie goes out to pee/poo? do i need to keep the front door open all the time? what about night time?

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Oct 3, 2007, 10:14 PM

Post #7 of 30 (2581 views)
Shortcut

Train lor..... My dogs only pee/poo in the morning before 7AM and in the evening after 6PM.

That's when I let them out. If not, they tahan until the next pee/poo session.

for puppy, if he cannot tahan, he knows how to go into the toilet and do his business there.

Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

wls2948
Novice

Oct 3, 2007, 11:04 PM

Post #8 of 30 (2575 views)
Shortcut

wah, your dog so discipline can tahan poo/pee from 7am to 6pm.....

how do u train it? do u refrain from giving it food and water in between?

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Oct 4, 2007, 6:48 PM

Post #9 of 30 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Hahaha it's hardwork lor at least with the first dog. Crazy Luckily still student last time. So got a lot of time to jaga him like an eagle! If I got class, sure got housemate at home to eye on him. Have to literally eye on him 24/7 lor. If he strays out of sight, have to see what he is up to. If he seems tak betul, too restless, sniff too much, straight put him on leash and take out. Once he does his business out there, reward kau kau. Waste so much money on treats mannn cos so bodoh bodoh follow exactly what the americans say mah "positive reinforcement". Crazy

Actually the shelter staff got advise me to reinforced his training on ringing the bell. They say he knows how to ring the bell whenever he needs a toilet break. But I malas and never follow thru. Wahh if he ring the bell at 3AM means i have to take him out ah? Crazy So I do it my way lor. Tongue

Initially, for first few weeks I got restrict his water intake after 10PM. I wont let him drink till the next morning to avoid late night accidents. Somehow he does all his big business before he eats. He wont eat till he shit first. I didnt train him that way, when I took him from the shelter he was already like that.

And because he is caged trained by them, so if u got no time to monitor him, just put him in the cage and he'll sleep. He wont pee or poo in there. As long as u keep him in the cage, he'll stay out of trouble. If he wants to do his business, he'll whine and be really restless. If he whines and not restless means he just wants attention. If he dirties his cage up, he'll bark and howl. Either he cirit birit in there or vomitted in there.

Lucky also that this big fella, if he wants to pee/poo and already showed u signs and u ignore him, he'll purposely come right in front of you and poo/pee. Unlike some dogs where they will quietly do their business in a corner hoping u'll never find out. Rascal isnt like that, He really give u show to see if u ignore him. Wink

wls2948
Novice

Oct 4, 2007, 8:14 PM

Post #10 of 30 (2556 views)
Shortcut

sounds like your doggie really got character.........i can imagine it coming right in front of u and poo/pee....hee hee. thanks for the advice and sharing

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Oct 4, 2007, 8:43 PM

Post #11 of 30 (2548 views)
Shortcut

no prob.....

yeah imagine how shocked I was when he really came infront of me, block my TV view and started squatting while staring at me. I was watching TV then and it was about time to take him out. I wanted to watch the whole thing finish before taking him out which has about 30minutes more to go. Wink

My housemate noticed he was walking up and down the apt and especially circling around the main door area but we all thought he was just being kepo lah..... next thing we know, he came right in front of us and squatted right there and then! Pirate

We yelled and he ran to hide under the dinner table. Tongue

wls2948
Novice

Oct 4, 2007, 9:46 PM

Post #12 of 30 (2541 views)
Shortcut

wah, you managed to keep your dog in an apartment......my friend did that once too...it wasn't easy cos her pee/poo all done at the toilet area......

if i have a dog, ito train it where and when to pee/poo...wah, i think not a simple task after hearing from u and others....Tongue

i am thinking of adopting a mongrel from spca or paws....now, the next issue is, should i get a male or a female and should i get a puppy or adult?

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Oct 5, 2007, 12:21 AM

Post #13 of 30 (2536 views)
Shortcut

Yeah apt....but that was in US Wink. US not so gila like here lah. even though my apt contract states in black and white no pets allowed except pets that are kept in confinement. Like fishes and hammies lah........but so many ppl still keep cats and dogs and management just close both eyes. As long as no one complains smelly or noisy, and no properties destroyed, they wont come banging ur doors asking u to dump ur pets lah. They do that, PETA will come after them. Tongue Aiya....the management themselves feed wild birds right in front of the office! Tongue

Apt below me got this HUGEEEEEEEE white persian cat......the cat always sit at the balcony like a queen and watch the world pass by. Aiya.... my block got 24 units and out of 24 units, I think 20units got pets. Tongue

Toilet-train is one thing, house-break is another thing. It's hard if that will be the 1st dog in ur household. But it's not impossible lah.....just tedious. Be patient lor and consistent.

Adopting one from shelter really depends on ur luck liao. If u get one that has been previously owned, chances are good that they already know some basics. Like my dog, the workers there said he was a stray. A passer-by spotted him and brought him to the shelther when he was about 3months old. They held him for 1 month hoping his owner will come get him cos they believe he must have strayed from his litter. According to them also they were pretty sure he had an owner because he seems to be partially caged train when they got him. As in he knows how to make noise when he wants to do his business or hungry. They also realised that if he pee/poos in his cage, he will sleep furthest away from his own droppings. He doesnt dirty himself stepping all over pee and poo like in most stray cases that they have seen.

So after 1 month of advertising in the local daily, no one came forward to claim him. So they put him up for adoption.

Aiya....u just go to the shelter and look-see-look-see. See which one touches you. Be it a male or female, adult or puppy, since u already intend to adopt one, if possible keep ur options open. U never know which may actually be just the right one for u.

wls2948
Novice

Oct 5, 2007, 4:18 AM

Post #14 of 30 (2522 views)
Shortcut

i don't mind adopting a mongrel as long as it is healthy, teachable, friendly to kids and not cranky.....

i heard mongrel does not require much money to maintain unlike pure breeds...pure breeds tends to have more health problems right? i scare my family members will complain if i get a dog which is "high maintenance"

(This post was edited by wls2948 on Oct 5, 2007, 4:19 AM)

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Oct 5, 2007, 6:11 PM

Post #15 of 30 (2511 views)
Shortcut

hmm healthy most probably they are lah..... teachable...i guess they all are, just how stuborn they are only....hahahahaha and friendly to kids....hmmm that u gotta observe for urself when u go and see the dogs. Bring ur kids along. See how the dogs react to them. If waggy waggy tail to u and the kids, means ok lor. But if very wary of the kids, then better not lor. But that doesnt mean they cant be trained. They still will warm up to kids, just will take time. Wink

Mongrels are definitely slightly lower maintenance than pedigrees. Less genetic problems as most of them are tougher with better immunity. But that doesnt mean u should deprive it of its vaccinations and heartworm prevention too. Sly

But at least u can save a whole chunk on grooming! Pirate

I believe all dogs are teachable....its whether u have the patience to do it or not. Some dogs learn faster than others. SOme dogs are eager to gain knowledge while others have the tidak-apa attitude. But all dogs will work for treats. They will die for treats! Hahahahahaha like my dogs lah.....they will do everything they know under the sun just to please the person with food in their hands...

Aiya no worries lah.....the most important thing, find one that just clicks right there and then. And everything will flow from there.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 5, 2007, 8:08 PM

Post #16 of 30 (2506 views)
Shortcut

why so difficult.... i vote for both...

u can't put ur dog indorr juz becoz u afraid of ticks n fleas... dogs need to have freedom to run at the garden too....

but u can't choose outdoor juz beside u wan them to pee n poo outside.... coz indoor dogs can also be trained to pee n poo on grass....

set a specific time in d day to let ur indoor dog to go out to pee and poo n also playing around the garden

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

wls2948
Novice

Oct 5, 2007, 8:33 PM

Post #17 of 30 (2502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] DOG KEEPING : INDOOR OR OUTDOOR?? [In reply to] Can't Post

the reason i want to decide one way or the other is because if i let it be outdoor, i would prefer it be outdoor all the time. if outside it will run all over the garden, it will get dirty, how then to let it roll over on the sofa or carpet inside the house?

since my house got kids, it would not be so hygienic...unless i give it a bath everyday before it comes into the house...

janthk
Canine Addict

Oct 9, 2007, 4:09 AM

Post #18 of 30 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Please dont bathe your dog everyday. That will kill your dog!!

wls2948
Novice

Oct 9, 2007, 6:59 PM

Post #19 of 30 (2423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janthk] DOG KEEPING : INDOOR OR OUTDOOR?? [In reply to] Can't Post

can u please tell how bathing it would kill it? i saw in movies some dogs they go swimming in the river everyday....

janthk
Canine Addict

Oct 9, 2007, 11:09 PM

Post #20 of 30 (2410 views)
Shortcut

Do not bathe your dog too often because that will dry out the skin, deplete healthy oils from the coat and skin, and lead to scratching and irritation. Frequency is largely dependent on the breed and activities of the dog. Dogs who spend a lot of time outside or engage in outdoor activities that expose them to dirt, bugs and/or debris typically require more bathing, perhaps every 6 weeks or more frequently. Some groomers recommend bathing double-coated breeds only about 3 times a year and suggest that smooth-coated dogs can go a lot longer between baths than can curly-coated breeds such as poodles. Too frequent bathing can cause the coat to soften and reduce its insulating qualities. With reduce insulating qualities, the dog can suffer from when the coldness seeps into it's bones. Some smaller breeds can actually succumb to pneumonia and death.

Those are just advice. As it is, in this modern day and age, we are already bathing our dogs more than recommended. I bathe mine once a week which is already 6 times more frequent than recommended.

wls2948
Novice

Oct 9, 2007, 11:40 PM

Post #21 of 30 (2409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janthk] DOG KEEPING : INDOOR OR OUTDOOR?? [In reply to] Can't Post

why yours bath once a week...do u let it run around in the park? my friend's dog bathe once every 2 or 3 days, still ockay...my friend's mom cannot stand dirty dogs...

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Oct 11, 2007, 1:15 AM

Post #22 of 30 (2352 views)
Shortcut

lol once a week is what I try my very best to practice....hahahahahaha

my older dog rascal....lol i've tried strecthing to 3 weeks before!! That was not because he is clean, but because I was lazy! hahahaha Wink

My puppy, everyday bath also tried before. Now once a week. If he can keep himself clean, then try to stretch to 10 days. But so far have not succeded. 1 week the most...and when bath after 1 week, the water literally is grey color! Crazy

Really up to u lah......u gotta see and feel for urself lah how the coat is. If the coat is getting too dry, then stop bathing lor....if u think still ok, then go ahead lah. U know ur dog best. What works for others may not work for u and vice versa.

It's all about trial and error!

khengteik
ALPHA

Oct 12, 2007, 6:55 PM

Post #23 of 30 (2307 views)
Shortcut

first things first... i'm not exactly an expert about dogs... i just know alot of people who are more experience then me. i also try to read more about dogs and by watching astro (imagine the amount of information that you can get through that "stupid box" now).

Anyway, this is my argument. Indoors or outdoors.
To me by bringing back a pet, let it be a cat or dog (of any size), there MUST be alot of changes that is to be done. please do understand that bringing in a pet is not as simple as deciding weather to put it indoors or outdoors. before getting a dog, there are a few basic lifestyle changes that needs to be done.
1. making sure all your garbage bins are out of reach from your dogs. if possible, do not put any rubbish bins on the floor of your house. just one small bin near your sink and make sure that it is emptied once it is almost full. you can have one big garbage bin outside the compound of your house or in most cases now there is this compartment at the gate that you can actually put the garbage bin. this is to ensure that your dogs do not rummage for food in the garbage bin whenever they have the urge to eat, etc etc etc
2. making sure there are no soap, liquid soap, detergent, clorox or poisonous substances on the floor in the toilet, kitchen, or anywhere around your house. let it be inside or outside.
3. making sure your house and especially your compound is clean. even if your dog is indoors, there are still chances that there will be ticks. especially if there is grass in your compound. one way to solve this problem is to remove all the grass, put a layer of sand and put pebbles on top. if you are afraid that it would be hot, just put some patches of grass.

Back to the argument of keeping a dog indoors or outdoors, it is solely up to the owners to put them wherever they want. but do understand that not all big dogs are better of outside. let it be pedigree, mix-breeds or mongrels. all dogs love the attention from their owners and to me it is not really fair to them if we are to leave them outside.

Labrador for example needs human attention and therefore it is not really suitable to keep them outside. Chao-chao, huskies and malamutes and alot more other breeds of dogs needs cool/cold environment and therefore is also not suitable to be kept outside the house... not forgetting other mix-breeds or mongrels. some of them do prefer to be indoors rather then outdoors even though they are quite big.

And if the dog is properly trained and house broken, they will know just where to pee/poo and that will require alot of work during the beginning stages. but as long as there is a fixed time for them to do anything eg. time to eat, when to pee/poo.. etc etc.... wherever you put your pet is the same.

Now to the argument of choosing the dogs weather it is a pedigree, mix-breed or mongrel. you might not believe it but when some people say that the dogs will choose their owners, that is very very true. i've had experience about that and i know best. therefore if you go to SPCA or PAWs or to any independent pet rescuers and a dog suddenly comes up to you and manja-manja with you, there is a possibility that dog is the best for you. even if it looks dirty, shaggy or ugly, with the right combination of nutrition and love, they will be the most beautiful and loyal pet to you.

oh and one more thing, please only feed your pets with kibbles... even though it is a mongrel... because good food = good health.

I guess thats all i have to share... feel free to "shoot" me back if there is anything that i've said is wrong...

PeaceFrown

A dog is a man's most loyal friend.

(This post was edited by khengteik on Oct 12, 2007, 6:58 PM)

wls2948
Novice

Oct 13, 2007, 4:01 PM

Post #24 of 30 (2288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khengteik] DOG KEEPING : INDOOR OR OUTDOOR?? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for your sharing. yeah, i agree with u a lot of things to consider when having a dog in the house. i shall keep it in mind.

about dog picking us, sometimes yeah it may be "yuen fan"....i have heard of people who has a dog who comes from nowhere, just appear in front of their house and they like it and decided to keep it...

personally, if i were to keep a dog, i would prefer to keep in indoors... though it would mean more work keeping the house clean!

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Oct 13, 2007, 6:32 PM

Post #25 of 30 (2285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khengteik] DOG KEEPING : INDOOR OR OUTDOOR?? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Some dogs choose its owners".....................wahhh so well said..... true true true!!!

Rascal chosed me and I ended up burning a big hole in my pocket to fly him home when I could have used that money and bought myself a 60GB ipod video + a PSP too + tonnes of clothes!!! Wink

I also agree that there are a lot to consider before bringing the dog home. Ok I didnt learn that way ... i knew nothing when I took rascal home. Just knew that i gotta bring him home that day. Didnt care if my parents will freaked out or not if I were to fly him home. But thanks to numerous support and guidance from my friends, the first few days was manageable. So I learnt along the way. Learnt not to leave things around, not to give him this and that and only feed him this and that. Eventually the sole responsibility of handling him alone was slowly passed on to me.

I have to admit, we both learnt a lot along the way. We both learnt about each other. He knows what he can do and what I will allow him to do. He stays away from things that he knows I wont allow him to do. So it was a pretty lucky match. Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my