Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
is every dog behave like that?? help.....urgent!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

allan85
New User

Sep 11, 2007, 8:07 PM

Post #1 of 37 (13717 views)
Shortcut
is every dog behave like that?? help.....urgent!! Can't Post

hi all, i am a new member here...

recently my friend pass to me a 2 years old female dog which overprotective on the food she ate. yesterday when i came back from work she still seems ok but later then after went out to have a walk with her,(she is a kind of manja dog which love ppl to touch her) i treat her and she dont want to eat. then i thought she will eat later. when i came down from upstair i saw her food was still there. when i walk towards her to touch her, she bark and growling at me. she was protecting her food from everybody no matter my housemates just passby she will bark fiercely. then i left her alone think that she will calm down tomorrow morning. when tomorrow morning, it still the same case. she din eat and the worse thing is she vomit out the things that i gave her yesterday morning. when i wanted to go near her to clean the mess she still protecting the things that she vomit. i just feed her bread as her last master feed her use to feed her too. i dont know whether is it a normal behavior or i did anything wrong. how can i make her calm down and let her know that i am not trying to 'stealing' her food. what can i do??? please...

2 things to worry:-

1) she had not eat her food.

2) she barking and growling at my housemate everytime when they closed to her.

i will be very appreciate for the comment that you give. thanks

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 5, 2008, 10:48 AM

Post #2 of 37 (13499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [allan85] is every dog behave like that?? help.....urgent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The best option is to put her down. Sounds harsh right? Well, it's either you get one of your fingers bitten off or other people attacked or you put her down. I'm guessing it's a mongrel right? Sorry case for this dog...

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 12, 2008, 7:47 PM

Post #3 of 37 (13480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] is every dog behave like that?? help.....urgent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely not the best option. I dun think you will put a human down if they behave like that. Every behaviour has a way to solve it and this is definitely one of the minor problems and can be solved easily. I know of a GR who behaves like like that. Definitely did not put the dog down and behaviour corrected after a while by experienced dog handlers not those who believe putting down will solve everything.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

myzanordin
ALPHA

Feb 12, 2008, 8:31 PM

Post #4 of 37 (13472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [allan85] is every dog behave like that?? help.....urgent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do some research on the net or grab hold of cesar milan's dvd or book...try some other methods before deciding on something too harsh....

U must try to understand your dog first. He/she would probably was an abused stray before, and protecting food is just her instict for survival....only now, she need to understand that such display is not required anymore...just be patience....u have to have a big heart and time..to do that...just dont give up, k???

its actually not a big deal, not that it has killed someone or what ......

zephyros
Canine Addict

Feb 12, 2008, 9:41 PM

Post #5 of 37 (13465 views)
Shortcut

ah don't worry don't worry. don't have to put the dog down. i had worst times to worry about. it's just a small thing hehe. you did mention it's a two year old dog right? maybe she hasn't got used to you or your housemates yet. so it'll take time, and could be your friend did not interact with her during feeding times, thus the overprotectiveness.

first, you need to earn her trust. not easy for a 2 year old but does not mean impossible. If i can bring strays to the vet and not get my head chewed off (knock on wood), i'm sure u can easily earn a dog that had an owner before.

firstly patience. secondly FOOD :D best way to earn a dog's trust is food lol. since u mentioned it's protective of her food, then you'll need to find her absolutely FAVOURITE treat! could range from anything hanging in pet shops to a simple hard boiled egg.

third: don't overwhelm her. being taken away from her home to a new place will take some getting use to. puppy will only miss the brother and sis and mom, but a 2 year old, that's like a HOME to her. so give her time. i'd suggest getting some Nutri-Cal just in case. reason why she might vomit is because of two things, ate somethign wrong, or in what i experienced, being too hungry and eating a lot. if she keeps avoiding food or vomiting she might get hypoglycemia which is low glucose in the blood, so having some nutri-cal around will be handy.

fourth: do not show you are afraid of her. only shows she's more dominent over you. BUT that does not mean treat her harshly and stuff. she barks or growls at you, stand your ground. stop approaching her or whatever you are doing. just stay put look into her eyes with a gentle smile. BODY LANGUAGE! it matters believe it or not. if she's laying down, then slowly squad down and be patient. sooner or later her growling will stop. when she does, praise her (avoid petting if it aggrevates her). THEN walk away. this will in-turn tune her instints that you are friendly and not there to take her food away thus slowly earning her trust. you have to be very patient with this. this is crucial. the moment you walk away when she snarls at you, you'll have to start all over again with the conditioning.

fifth: patience and consistency.

if u need more help feel free to put your comments here and i'm sure the forum members would be more than delighted to assist you. by the way where do you live?

ps: i'm not too sure how aggresive she is but tell your housemates to be patient with her, and avoid approaching her for the time being especially if food is concerned. she still needs time to adapt to her new environment and should be given just that.

Good Luck

(This post was edited by zephyros on Feb 12, 2008, 9:50 PM)

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 12, 2008, 9:53 PM

Post #6 of 37 (13460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] is every dog behave like that?? help.....urgent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In America, straight away they will put any dog down that is very dangerous to the public. I don't care if a Golden Retriever also. I will straight away put it down becoz it is dangerous. If no one can handle it, not even the owner can touch it, what else can we do? Sometimes, we have to be cruel to be kind. That's the way it is! Well, if the human goes to jail & get hung for murdering or raping a person, then why can't a dog be punished too? Isn't fair right if the human gets it & the dog doesn't. We cannot keep on saying oh, it's an animal. What does it know? It's not the dog's fault. Well, we bottle fed a 4 week old mongrel puppy till it grew up. Been adopted by a wonderful caring family who fed him good food, gave him shelter. brought him for training & then one day, he attacked his owners for no reason. I try to sayang him, he snap at me. What did the owners do? Put him down. Was it the owner's fault? No. It's the dog's...Sometimes, we cannot always say the dog was abused by the previous owner & that's why it's behaving badly. But what the puppy we rescued & took care & carried it & fed it in our arms? The puppy didn't have an abusive life nor did its mother taught it bad habits. It's in the pup's genes & that's why it turned out nuts. So pedigree or not, I will straight away put it down especially those who even attack their own owners who cares & loved them. This is what I call dogs who don't appreciate what their owners are giving them. A home, food, water, shelter & love.

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Feb 12, 2008, 10:03 PM)

yun
Novice

Feb 13, 2008, 4:46 AM

Post #7 of 37 (13446 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] is every dog behave like that?? help.....urgent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You should really get hold of the Cesar Millan book or DVD to have a look. It doesn't mean that because you are giving shelter and food to the dog, it will respect and appreciate you. You are trying to compare humans to dogs, but unfortunately they are not the same. Dogs, which have ancestral roots from wolves, are used to living in packs, and they have hierarchies in these packs. If you do not get control over the dogs, they would view themselves as the alpha dog, and you as just a follower that provides love, food, water, shelter on his demands. Do you think they will listen to a follower or allow them to touch their food? You have not seen the dog for yourself, how it reacts when someone tries to take away its food; the dog is only food possessive and you are advising to put it down.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 13, 2008, 8:27 AM

Post #8 of 37 (13429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yun] is every dog behave like that?? help.....urgent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

So you're saying that it shouldn't be punished nor be put down becoz it's a dog? Doesn't matter if it doesn't appreciate what you're giving it well becoz, it's a dog. Dogs don't know anything, they're not humans. For your info, they do know believe me, they're not dumb. Well, this is my advise. If you don't agree with me, then you don't agree with me. Everybody will be disagreeing with anybody, so what can I do. I'm only giving her/him my advice, that's all. This is my advice. I don't know yours. Why not you give her/him your advise instead of disagreeing or agreeing with other's. Let her/him choose which one's best for his/her dog. o Leave it to the owner's decision. OB training will not help at all. It does not correct the dog's bad behavior especially when it comes to food/toy possessiveness. If there are experience trainers out there who KNOW & who CAN help fix this problem, then great! But if there's none & we ourselves are not sure what to do & simply do what Cesar Millan does, then we're dumb. Becoz we are NOT Cesar Millan remember that. In his videos & his books, he already mentioned, do NOT try his methods if you don't know what you're doing becoz either you or the dog will get seriously hurt. Yes, go ahead watch his videos. He's very good on what he's doing, he's been doing it for years but can you do exactly what he does? No right? So...How now??? We can take his advice & listen to what he's gotta say but he's not here to help us. We're just watching his videos & reading his books! If this has already been going on for months & years, I tell you, it'll be very very very hard to break. This dog is already considered dangerous even if it's just food possessive. Come on, the owner is not even touching its bowl for goodness sakes. The 4 month old puppy I was talking about, was food possessive too. It bit his owner who is only 12 years old many times till her fingers bled badly. And nobody taught it to be that way. Why does it want to bite its owner? What for??? Training did not help it at all & that's why it was put down. It even attacked my dogs when all they did was just to sniff him. Well, I don't want to have some hard talk (debate) here. Not into it for your info...I'll leave it to the owner's decision. You just give her/him your advice & let her/him do the rest of the thinking & job.

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Feb 13, 2008, 8:48 AM)

yun
Novice

Feb 13, 2008, 3:44 PM

Post #9 of 37 (13415 views)
Shortcut

Sorry if I sounded personal in my previous post, don't want this to turn into a flame thread. What I mean by reading Cesar's books and watching his videos, and that's my advice, is not to replicate his methods. It is to be learn and understand how the animal world works, and how the owner might be able to find examples of what he might be doing wrong to cause this behaviour from the dog and try to correct himself. Yes, we are not Cesar, that's why we are here to learn from each other. I do know dogs are not dumb, and they know we are giving them food, shelter and love, but it appreciating what we have to give him doesn't mean that it would not protect its food. I am also not saying that dogs should not be punished, and I do believe they should if they have done wrong. However, as we all, I assume, have not seen the dog for ourselves. The impression I get from your posts is that once you hear food aggression, equals put it down because OB training cannot work. That's even before Allan85 ever mentioned that he ever tried solving the problem. He did mention that he only got the dog from a friend recently, but nothing about how long this has been going on, whether it behaved the same way when it was at his friend's, and how it behaved when he took it for a walk. Might be because it is still new to Allan85 and do not trust him yet, we do not know. My main point is this, it is very difficult to judge a dog's behaviour online from just the words of the owner, as most of us here, I believe, might panic a little when it comes to our little loved ones having problems we are unsure about, and could be blowing things up a little. So without having seen the dog, I believe that telling the owner to put it down seems too extreme. Smile

P.S. A side question, the puppy was put down at 4 months?

fartu
Dog Kichi

Feb 14, 2008, 3:24 AM

Post #10 of 37 (13396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yun] is every dog behave like that?? help.....urgent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

a fren of mine has a dog shelter, almost hundred of dogs, a few workers, the thing abt putting attack dog to sleep, if practised, would have reduced the number of dogs by half by now. getting minor attack by animal who are not in the mood or not feeling well or feeling insecure, if can be a guide for good practise, then the person who embrace this concept should kill their boyfren, galfren, siblings or even kids, i have always seen the kid attack their parent for not buying the particular toy for them, and the response of the parent? apologetic and smiling. infact this happen to my nephew, should i advise my auntie to put him down?
almost all owners who report their dog attack left out the important details. all would said we didnt do anything to deserve it we take good care and love etc etc. btw, if the kid, or wife, or husband, in the absent of witness, abused the dog to let out his/her frustration. do u think he will admit it and stop the put down? so before one jump into conclusion, isnt there a need to to give a benefit of doubt to the dog? puppy? human we can go to high court, then court of appeal, where do they go? dont be a self appointed judge for the puppy!
put aside cesar's stuff, we can also think using commonsense.

i m amazed to hear ppl quote "In America...bla bla.." blablabla blo blo".is America really such a highly successful country? that we should take them as a role model without using our own brain? they have all the right systems right practise? does anyone know what is Subprime Crisis that is exporting to all over the world now and causing recession fear everywhere?

(This post was edited by fartu on Feb 14, 2008, 3:33 AM)

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 14, 2008, 5:59 AM

Post #11 of 37 (13379 views)
Shortcut

No no, it's okay. Good to have debates sometimes but I'm not the type who likes having debates. I have my own opinion, my own advices & you have you own. Who's wrong who's right? I don't know! It depends on every person on what they think. From the owner's description, I can already picture what the dog is like. I have encountered quite a few who are quite dangerous & not so dangerous but this owner's dog sounds like it needs serious rehabilitation. This dog has some demons in its head & it needs to e sorted out. If I'm not mistaken, this dog is not a puppy so that means it has already been behaving like this for months or maybe years. The puppy I was mentioning, was not 4mths old when we rescued it, forgive me. I typed it wrongly. It was 4 weeks old. Still a tiny puppy & was still suckling that time. It was put down when it was a year old. It was a male & its behavior was pretty bad. He was a danger to his family & to everyone else who came close to him. Infact, nobody could touch him especially his face & his bowl. His owners tried their best & I even tried breaking his habit & it couldn't be done. It's a worth a try for this dog's owner to try & break it's bad habit but I would NOT encourage them to do it on their own becoz this dog can attack them anytime. It's an animal & no animals can be trusted... If Cesar was here, he would know what to do but I have now heard any trainers here or infact anybody here in Malaysia who can fix this problem. If there was, I would have told this dog's owner about him but there's none! When the dog's already food possessive, you don't know how it's gonna be later. This is only the 1st stage of its aggressiveness. So, it's the time to break it but like I already said in my previous reply, it's gonna be very very very hard to fix this problem. I know this dog is not a puppy. It's already an adult. I don't know why the owner's not replying & not giving anymore info about her/his dog. So again like I said, my advice to this dog's owner is, if cannot be broken then sorry. It has to go...

fartu
Dog Kichi

Feb 14, 2008, 8:05 PM

Post #12 of 37 (13357 views)
Shortcut

hi amber,

how old are you? how many years experience you have in handling dogs? i was told that you are still a teenager.....dont you think you may change your mind when you are more mature later in life?? anything for that matter.

haha.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 14, 2008, 8:47 PM

Post #13 of 37 (13351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fartu] is every dog behave like that?? help.....urgent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there Fartu!

You're absolutely right! I'm a teen but what does my age matter? Does it mean becoz I'm a teen, I know nothing about dogs & simply giving out advices to people & being cocky like "I know everything about everything"? If I know nothing about dogs, dog behavior & training, then why am I an OB trainer? Why is my Amber in Intermediate? Why my Amber & my other dogs can do this & do that? Hmmm...I may change my mind next time but on the other hand, maybe not. Let me tell you more about myself. I have successfully OB trained & also break dogs' bad habits before. For example, the very timid Labrador two years ago. This was when I wasn't a trainer yet. He was so terrified that he couldn't even walk. I trained the fella & the owner for about 1 months & today, he's no longer timid. Then the Dobermann who unfortunately, just passed away due to cancer. He know nuts when he 1st boarded with us for 3 mths. But 2 mths later, I trained him & he got 2nd place in Pre-Novice exam. I just entered him for fun... Then just recently a puppy Golden Retriever. He couldn't do certain commands & even heel off-leash. But just after a week, he was able to do & his owners were very happy with the results. So, does my age matters to you? You'll be surprise that I know dogs just as much as older people... I have big interest in dogs as you can see & I'm willing to learn new things from other people & trainers. Anything else you would like to know about me? Please ask as I'm an open book! *smiles* Would you like to introduce & explain about yourself too? I'm curious to know more about you coz I see you don't have any dogs. What experience do you have with dogs Fartu?

fartu
Dog Kichi

Feb 15, 2008, 1:15 AM

Post #14 of 37 (13338 views)
Shortcut

dear amber,
"I have big interest in dogs as you can see & I'm willing to learn new things from other people & trainers"

good one!

the fact that you still open to learning, means you know you have not known all. and may change, Age does matter. ie. do you think you r more experience in life than your mother? ofcourse not.

happy learning and exploring life and its meanings.

FrownFrownFrownFrown

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 15, 2008, 4:13 AM

Post #15 of 37 (13330 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fartu] is every dog behave like that?? help.....urgent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh thank you! You keep on learning new stuff too aight? Have a nice day fartu! Oh & by the way, who's the one who told you that I'm a teen? Must be someone who knows me...I'm so curious to know. I still want to hear what experience you have with dogs or other animals, fartu. Do you even have a dog? Have a nice day!

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Feb 15, 2008, 4:28 AM)

fartu
Dog Kichi

Feb 15, 2008, 4:59 AM

Post #16 of 37 (13320 views)
Shortcut

dear amber,

for your info, i am a dog, a mongruel, dog has 6th sense so i know you are a teen. actually have been impressed by your contributions to dogs.

keep up the good one...

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 15, 2008, 7:05 AM

Post #17 of 37 (13306 views)
Shortcut

Ooooooooh, a mongrel? No wonder... You need training. Alright, have a nice day!

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Feb 15, 2008, 7:09 AM)

myzanordin
ALPHA

Feb 15, 2008, 7:26 PM

Post #18 of 37 (13283 views)
Shortcut

Hei Fartu,

I remember u. Its been a while since u visited PPC. U r d one, who helped many homeless doggies especially mongrels, footing medical bills, contributing dog food and all....

Good to have u back ......thanks for your contribution to the needy doggies.... God bless !

(This post was edited by myzanordin on Feb 15, 2008, 7:31 PM)

fartu
Dog Kichi

Feb 16, 2008, 3:45 AM

Post #19 of 37 (13260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] is every dog behave like that?? help.....urgent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hei Myza,

thanks n how r u doing? we mongrel are losing support fr human being bcos of trend and fashion, remember our grandgrand father days when all dogs are equal...we guard the house and protect our owners from harm and danger...now human favour estatic appearance and brands rather than our substance......."Owwww, ow, ow, owwwww!"

Meshster77
New User

Feb 18, 2008, 7:27 PM

Post #20 of 37 (13203 views)
Shortcut

Dude,

My direct answer to your question would be "No. Not every dog behaves like that". What you have is a 2 year old dog which has been having her way throughout. Probably her old owner has let her have it her way. I would not at all even suggest to you on putting her down. What you need to do is spend loads of time with her. You don't have to worry about her attacking someone. All you need to do is overcome the "food protecting" problem and you've made a breakthrough.

For starters you have to spend lots of time with your dog. Get to know her and her limits better. To start of with, I would ask you to get a pair of fire proof gloves and instead of putting the food in her bowl; hand feed her instead. Repeat this for a bout a week. Progress will be made.

Week 2 : While doing this, try petting her with the other hand. Not on her legs or body, but on her head. Try it slowly. if she reacts, dont push it further. Talk to her in a sooting voice.

If you achieve these two, your instinct will tell you what you can and cant do next.

Best of luck.

By the way, what breed is she ?

In Reply To

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 19, 2008, 7:06 PM

Post #21 of 37 (13166 views)
Shortcut

i'm shocked to read that u suggested the owner to put the dog down... shocked becoz i understand u train dogs n has been advocating on dog training... don't u think that dogs who are food agressive could be trained to be otherwise?

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 20, 2008, 4:13 AM

Post #22 of 37 (13142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] is every dog behave like that?? help.....urgent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sigh... There ARE ways to correct dog's bad behavior but at that time of answering the post, I don't even know why I just told the owner to put it down without even trying. I was a bit stressed that time & tired too when I answered her post. Forgive me... There actually are ways to break these habits but the owner will need a good trainer for that. The owner requires to understand why the dog is behaving like that. There's a reason just like some dogs. Some Goldens can't stand Goldens, but don't mind other dogs. Or some dogs want to fight with bigger dogs but are okay with smaller dogs. And these dogs require a correction that is stronger than the demons in their heads. The correction has got to be so strong that they will remember for the rest of their lives & then they will not do it again. There are other corrections too but I'd prefer if an experienced trainer who has corrected these kind of dogs before to give her an advice instead of me...

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 21, 2008, 12:13 AM

Post #23 of 37 (13105 views)
Shortcut

from yr 1st reply to subsequent replies to this thread, u have been very firm in yr opinion that the food agressive dog should be put down... why a sudden change of heart? u're only contradicting urself... anyway, this will be the end from me for this thread...

p/s: next time when u feel stressed n tired, may i suggest that u stay away from replying posts in the forum until u feel better, otherwise u may simply give advice to someone only to say later that u did not mean wat u posted earlier... this could cost a dog his/ her life.

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Feb 21, 2008, 1:16 AM

Post #24 of 37 (13094 views)
Shortcut

hi allan, how's your dog progressing?

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 21, 2008, 7:12 AM

Post #25 of 37 (13079 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] is every dog behave like that?? help.....urgent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone makes mistakes. No one is perfect not even 40 years experienced trainers. This was my mistake & I apologize to the owner but I don't see that the owner is all that serious about it. If he was, he would have been replying us a long time ago. I don't think he even knows what putting down means & most people will not listen to people's advice especially when they tell owners to put their dogs down. So owner's decision. Like I said, the owner does the thinking, solution & the job. This is my last reply to this post too so no point replying me. I hope the owner will be able to fix the problem. He'll do what's best for his dog...

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Feb 21, 2008, 7:18 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my