Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
pedigree is wad? and wad is cert for?

simweiken
Novice

Sep 10, 2007, 8:37 PM

Post #1 of 12 (1298 views)
Shortcut
pedigree is wad? and wad is cert for? Can't Post

Hi guys..What is the diff between a pedigree and a cert...what is the defination in the 1st place...I dun understand it cos when the breeder told me it has pedigree and got cert..So is more expensive...HelPSsss..Thx..

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 11, 2007, 1:28 AM

Post #2 of 12 (1289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simweiken] pedigree is wad? and wad is cert for? [In reply to] Can't Post

pure breeds mean pedigree.... ie...golden retriver, shih tzu......mixed dog are called mongrel...ie. my dog

when u flip through the dog breed books, those dogs in there are called pedigree....

but due to some irresponsible breeding, there are some mix breed around that might looks like a pure breed, hence they won't had cert...(unless u got conned)

so when the breeders told u the puppy had cert, means that the pup is a pedigree...

but got cert or no cert not much different, unless u intend to breed your dog with other ppl n make some money by selling the puppies...

so then puppies you breed can get cert, n then u can sell for higher price too...

this is the concept nowadays....hehehe

if u juz wan to get a cute pup....u can choose those without cert n cheaper price...save your money n use them to buy food n vaccination instead

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Sep 11, 2007, 1:36 AM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 11, 2007, 6:06 PM

Post #3 of 12 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] pedigree is wad? and wad is cert for? [In reply to] Can't Post

Amanda, the way you say is like ppl owning pedigree dog is only good at selling puppy at higher price.UnsureUnsureUnsure

There are few benifits in owning a pedigree dog register with local kennel club.

- A Pedigree is the family tree of the dog. This will show the parents, grand parents, and great grandparents, up to 4 generations back. Pedigrees are used to decide what breedings will produce the best results based on the background of each dog.

- When participating in the shows the titles of "Champion" "Grand Champion" to different degrees can be achieved. These will appear on Registration certificates and Pedigrees as Ch, Gr Ch, & etc.

Purebreds or mixed breeds. The only significant difference between the two is that purebreds, because their parents and other ancestors are all members of the same breed, generally conform to a specific "breed standard." This means that you have a good chance of knowing what general physical and behavioral characteristics a puppy of that breed is likely to have.

Some people think that when they purchase a purebred, they're purchasing a guarantee of health and temperament. This is simply not true. In fact, the only thing the "papers" from purebred dog registry organizations certify is that the recording registry maintains information regarding the reported lineage and identity of the animal.

Mixed breeds, on the other hand, offer several advantages that prospective pet owners may fail to consider. For example, when you adopt a mixed breed, you get the benefit of two or more different breeds in one animal. You also get a pet who is less prone to genetic defects common to certain purebred dogs.

Purebred or mixed breed, it's important to make sure your favorite type of dog breed fits with your lifestyle. So first become knowledgeable about what kind of dog breed you want and about what it takes to be a responsible owner.

Lastly, Buy your puppy from a responsible and well-respected breeder. Responsible breeders are concerned with the betterment of the breed. For example, they work on breeding healthier dogs with the appropriate temperament for their breed. Once you select a breeder, screen the breeder. Ask to see at least one of the parents (the dam or the sire) of your puppy. See how the dogs in your breeder's home interact with your breeder. Are they friendly and outgoing or do they shy away? The responsible breeder will be screening you, too, looking for the best home for each puppy.

Good Luck

(This post was edited by chrisong on Sep 11, 2007, 6:09 PM)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 11, 2007, 7:16 PM

Post #4 of 12 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] pedigree is wad? and wad is cert for? [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry la...coz my friend who owns pedigree with cert also got lotsa health problem, especially genetic inherited problem n etc...

n 'some' ppl who join dog show also aim to breed their dog with other champion line and sell their dogs for higher prices....

since the paper doesn't guaranteee anything, why spend so much on getting puppies with 'paper'...

hahaha....plz don't vomit any blood here...

i know i'm being typicalLaugh

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

simweiken
Novice

Sep 11, 2007, 9:15 PM

Post #5 of 12 (1250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] pedigree is wad? and wad is cert for? [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay..Thx guys..Cos i'm buying a Husky from singapore..in my area(JB) hard to find breeder of husky...And i dun wan to buy from pet shops(puppy mill)..So have to look for it in sg..I've found 1...The puppy is great..Both parent from australia...Cos me 1k sing dollar...Pirate hahax..now 4 wks only..wait till 8 wks i will bring him home...cant wait...so excited..Laugh

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 11, 2007, 10:04 PM

Post #6 of 12 (1243 views)
Shortcut

oh..husky izit? then sure got cert n must have also, since u paying such a bomb!

husky is still consider a relatively new popular breed in our region, that's y all of them here hv cert

wait till few years later.....sure like shih tzu n labrador...(lotsa r without cert nowadays)

Pacco de Mongrel

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 12, 2007, 12:42 AM

Post #7 of 12 (1238 views)
Shortcut

Why Husky?

Do you know what is the procedure to bring dog from Sing into Mal?

simweiken
Novice

Sep 12, 2007, 7:25 PM

Post #8 of 12 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] pedigree is wad? and wad is cert for? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ya..I roughly know the procedure to import dog for sing...Found it from a website..Need Permit all that...Then have to send form to KL petaling there to request for the permit...Now finding whether anyone got any experience of importing dog anot...Hahax...Thx for the concern btw...Smile

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Sep 13, 2007, 7:08 PM

Post #9 of 12 (1205 views)
Shortcut

the dog coming in thru air or land or sea?

yeah u need to get the import permit. I think u know how lah. The import permit only valid for 30days. RM5 only but a bit leceh lah, cos last year they don accept cheques or cards. Only cash or postal orders. This year I donnu. Assuming no advancement, then u need to come to KL lor. Go to the veterinary office either in Putrajaya or I think there is a branch in KL but not sure where. Then make payment and they will give u the permit.

With the permit, only u can bring the dog in. They would need to see the proof of vaccinations especially rabbies. Vaccinations have to be updated. I cannot remember the time frame. I donnu bout singapore side. But last time US, on the US side, they need proof that the dog is fit to travel for so long. So they need a vet's certification at least 1 week before travel date and I need to get USDA to sign and chop on it. Without that, i cannot take the dog out of US. *sigh* see how well they treat their animals. Amazing right? Wink At every transit, as long as I need to change planes, they need to see all the certificates again and again and again.

I think dogs coming in from singapore no need quarantine right if u can proof rabbies vaccination? Quarantine u gotta check with them lor. Some countries like Japan and UK i think no need quarantine if rabbies vaccination is valid. But US, kena quarantine 1 week even though all vaccinations are valid.

If betul betul kena quarantine, i donnu if JB got quarantine centre or not. If not, then sure KLIA liao. But the quarantine centre is quite well kept. So no worries on that. Just that they wont bath ur dog for u and u have to supply food for that period of time lor.

But singapore so near, should be ok lah. At least U don have to worry about ur dog being locked up in the cargo area for 16 hours straight!

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

simweiken
Novice

Sep 13, 2007, 11:32 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] pedigree is wad? and wad is cert for? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just for the 5 dollar need to get all the way down to KL!? Walaox...Mati la like this..If cannot give cheque or card den really a problem liao..I cant get down to KL..Tho i have a car..But..Just 5 dollar..I heard the permit u request by mail..They will send the mail back to ur address..Just that the money..Oh gosh..Hope can pay thru mail..I put inside the envelope bah...HAHA...Hope they accept...I wan my husky..! Cos i've been studying in sg for quite some long time..since i'm primary one..until now..poly life..abt 12 yrs le..So i know quite alot of thing in sing...And breeder in sg is more trust worthy..Who ask JB no breeder..Mad Hehex...

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Sep 14, 2007, 7:24 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1176 views)
Shortcut

yeah lah...wah lau right? Just for RM5, my friend has to fill the form up and mail it to them with the RM5. But still have to go there and collect as they wont mail it back to you maybe because I was in US lah. So she got a local courier service to pick it up for another RM5 and had it courier over to me in the US for RM70+ because I needed the thing URGENTLY and so she took the 2 days service to US. In the end, for a piece of photostated paper with a blue chop and sign, I paid about RM100. I needed it before boarding the flight there as they in the US wants to see everything and make sure the dog will arrive safe and sound. Then of cos i reached malaysia on a saturday, so i needed the import permit to be with me upon arrival. Must be original, fax copy all cannot. U can try to attach a return envelope siap with stamps lor. Then keep calling them and see what they tell u lor. Make sure u get down the name of the person u spoke too who says can be done. So that next time if u call up, another person answers and say cannot, then u can tembak balik and say so and so said can!

So it's troublesome lah....very extremely troublesome....thats why ppl charge a few thousands to do it for u. Try ur luck lah and keep us updated. If no need quarantine then u're lucky lah. If not, another big headache! Tongue

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

simweiken
Novice

Sep 14, 2007, 8:00 PM

Post #12 of 12 (1174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] pedigree is wad? and wad is cert for? [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hate doing all these paper work...Since i was in secondary school i didn't bothe to file up my file oradi..Hhahax..Actually my father say can bring it in without much prob..As he knew someone from the custom..So can bring in...As long as inform his fren be4 coming in...But scare nx time the person come my dad shop anyhow take things...my father cannot charge him any money..Cos last time is like this..So i have to go thru all these permit thingy...Sian..I'll keep u guys updated..My husky is coming soon...=)) 6 wks liao...2 more wks..wakAKkaak..Thx for sharing ur experience...Wink

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my