Westie Owners United

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

pennywise
Novice

Sep 10, 2007, 2:41 AM

Post #1 of 67 (38348 views)
Shortcut
Westie Owners United Can't Post

I know Westie is considered a rare breed in Malaysia but I believe they are easier to find than it was last year.

I am not much of a dog person until a few years ago where I grew very attached to my girlfriend's Japanese Spitz. From then on, I read a lot about dogs, visited almost every pet store in Wilayah and Selangor. I come to the conclusion that the breed for me are Westies - because I love small white doggies, rather than big ones or brown/black ones. Possibly because white makes them look clean and Westies always has that 'ahpek' look that make them look so cute and adorable!

I remember around Oct / Nov 2006, I had came to register in this forum looking for a Westie. I had little to no luck until I saw a newspaper advertisement one day and called up the breeder. He live just across my girlfriend's house.

On 1st of Jan, 2007, I brought home a Westie to surprise everyone at home. Dad, mom, little sister welcomed him. He was skinny weighing around only 3kg, small, scared.

Over the past ~10 months, he has grown up to be a strong, healthy, intelligent and playful doggy. His name is Casper. I am an active member of the Pets Wonderland forum at Lowyat.net. I know ihawk98 as he's the helpful guy who recommended me where to bring Casper for grooming in Malaysia. Thank you, ihawk98.

Right now, I am looking for a female Westie for Casper, preferably 2 months old. I am not in a rush as I want to slowly look for a suitable one because I am moving to a bungalow next year - I will have more space for the doggies to run about. Over time, my dream is to populate my house with a few more before they stop (*spay or whatever, decide later).

I am a responsible owner. I am sure many out there are also like myself. I have seen ihawk98, ern, irenekang's westie. They are all very lovable and cute. May I know how do I post up picts of Casper?

Here is his first video I recently took and posted it up at Youtube. Please visit.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct9MLDlczrY

ERN
K9 Maniac

Sep 14, 2007, 2:50 AM

Post #2 of 67 (38308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pennywise] Westie Owners United [In reply to] Can't Post

you are really expert in training you westie.

good work.

Frown

View my photo album

last update, ZEUS & Shiki's 2nd off springs, 16/09/2008. Yes 9.16!

http://s56.photobucket.com/...%20Zeus%20N%20Shiki/

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g192/ERN2/Dogs

ihawk98
Novice

Nov 19, 2007, 12:49 AM

Post #3 of 67 (38201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pennywise] Westie Owners United [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm glad you like the groomer at SS2.

anyone can recommend other groomers that can do a good westie cut?

also, my Sparky likes to lick his hind legs a lot...lick until not on discoloration happens but no hair growing on the inside of his hind legs. we've seen the vet and tested him for fungus and other things but all negative. the food he has been eating is Royal Canin and he's eaten it his whole life so it can't really be a food allergy. anyone knows what could be going on?

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Nov 24, 2007, 1:12 AM

Post #4 of 67 (38163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ihawk98] Westie Owners United [In reply to] Can't Post

Where are you located? I can groom your Westie for you if you would like if you are around PJ. I would hand strip your Westie. I have a Westie of my own.

Let me know.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

ihawk98
Novice

Nov 24, 2007, 3:20 AM

Post #5 of 67 (38159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus-Gus] Westie Owners United [In reply to] Can't Post

hi gus gus, where are you in pj? i am living at setia eco-park (shah alam on nkve side).

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Nov 24, 2007, 6:14 AM

Post #6 of 67 (38154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ihawk98] Westie Owners United [In reply to] Can't Post

i live in SS1 but if you'd like i can come over and groom your westie for you. sms me at 012 213 8233 if you're interested.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

Senseless
Novice

Nov 29, 2007, 5:27 PM

Post #7 of 67 (38129 views)
Shortcut

Hi, I stay in SS2 and my 3month westie will need a grooming soon. How much is your charges for full grooming? May SMS me at 012-220 5877

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Nov 30, 2007, 6:07 PM

Post #8 of 67 (38100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Senseless] Westie Owners United [In reply to] Can't Post

hi to all the westies owners here.

i'll be bringing my westie puppy home 3 weeks later, which is b4 christmas, im confusing about which shampoo should i buy...

all westie experts here pls suggest and give some idea to me, which whitening shampoo should i buy?

pls suggest both cheap and expensive 1, but i hope i can found those effective 1...

some even suggest me to use whitening powder when the time i didnt bath him....

any idea all experts here? hope u guys u can give some clue, so that upon the time my little westie arrive my home, i dun need to rush in looking for the whitening shampoo.

thanks all on behald of my westie boy...Smile

Senseless
Novice

Nov 30, 2007, 7:21 PM

Post #9 of 67 (38092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [daniel_wong99] Westie Owners United [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I too having a 3 months old Westie. It is not necessary to bath your puppy during the first 1-2 weeks when you just bring him back. You can buy those grooming powder and apply on him, not only for the initial stage, but also when your furkid grows up. As Westie are white, so maintenance is also alot of hard work.

For whitening shampoo, you have to check with the pet shop if it is suitable for puppy as some are very strong and may irritate the puppy skin. I have bought the John Paul Mitchel whitening shampoo (RM40+) from Pets More and for conditioner I'm using USA#1 (RM75) from Pet Supplies SS2.

I have brought him for basic grooming 1 week after I have brought him home, then I bought the shampoo and bath him another week later myself.

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Dec 1, 2007, 12:46 AM

Post #10 of 67 (38081 views)
Shortcut

hi thanks for the reply.

yes, im thinking of buying the whitening powder too...can use it to clean him when he is not feeling well or after vacinn.Sly

when the time i bringing him home,the breeder promised will groom him and bath him the day b4, so its easier, i still have some time to look for the shampoo around after i seek the opinion from the breeder, see which whitening shampoo he suggest...thinking of getting as much suggestions as possible b4 buying.

where r u from Senseless? perhaps we can have a meet up during the coming up dog event.

Senseless
Novice

Dec 1, 2007, 1:14 AM

Post #11 of 67 (38077 views)
Shortcut

I'm in PJ/SS2. Occassionally I'll bring my westie to 1-Utama Central Park there to let him run around on sunday morning. There are other owners who bring there furkid there as well. But I think your groomer will advice you not to bring the puppy out until he has got the 2nd vaccination done.

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Dec 1, 2007, 1:22 AM

Post #12 of 67 (38074 views)
Shortcut

oh great, im thinking of bringing him to central park during sunday morning too sometimes later, maybe after he done all 3 vacinns, play safe always.Blush

im not dare to free him and run around, scared later he run away....any tips for me ar how to make sure he wont run away from me??Blush

Senseless, mind to give me ur email add? easier to contact in future.Smile

Senseless
Novice

Dec 1, 2007, 1:28 AM

Post #13 of 67 (38071 views)
Shortcut

As they are still young, so the moment you free them, they will run around and will not regonize you no matter how loud and hard you shout at them. Unsure But when they are older and more familar with you, they will stay beside you. But I free my boy for a while and run around with him, cos they will not be able to out run you. Wink

Can m sn me at eric_lim1976@ h o t mail. com

(This post was edited by Senseless on Dec 1, 2007, 2:11 AM)

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Dec 1, 2007, 1:55 AM

Post #14 of 67 (38067 views)
Shortcut

haha, i used to keep a boxer last time, happened 1 time b4 that the my hand slippy accidently let go the leash and he ran away from me, when i walk towards him, he thought im playing with him and he ran even further, luckily few minutes later he walked back to my house and sit outside the gate waiting for me to open the gate for him....Blush

since then, i never even dare to think of off leash him, perhaps by the time my puppy ready to go outside, i need some more tips from u.Tongue

i've saved ur email...thanks.

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Dec 1, 2007, 6:35 PM

Post #15 of 67 (38050 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
hi to all the westies owners here.

i'll be bringing my westie puppy home 3 weeks later, which is b4 christmas, im confusing about which shampoo should i buy...

all westie experts here pls suggest and give some idea to me, which whitening shampoo should i buy?

pls suggest both cheap and expensive 1, but i hope i can found those effective 1...

some even suggest me to use whitening powder when the time i didnt bath him....

any idea all experts here? hope u guys u can give some clue, so that upon the time my little westie arrive my home, i dun need to rush in looking for the whitening shampoo.

thanks all on behald of my westie boy...Smile

Hi. Except for when my westie needs a medicated bath - as prescribed by the vet - he gets bathed in Johnsons Baby Shampoo. I have been using Baby Shampoo on my Westies for 17 years now. It is gentle - which is very important for westies which can have sensitive skin - and the No Tears formula means that I can really give their heads a good shampoo without worrying about getting shampoo into their eyes and hurting them.

It is NOT recommended to bathe your Westie too often - again because of their sensitive skin. It is far more important to give your westie a good brush out once or twice a week and only bathe your westie when he gets dirty - like rolling in something smelly. Brushing your Westie's hair regularly will stimulate his natural coat oils which will increase the natural waterproof qualities of his coat, protecting his coat against dirt. Too often shampooing will dry out his coat and irritate his skin which once irritated can take a very long time to heal. After a good brush out, your Westie's coat will gleam - shimmering white. There is no need to use dry shampoos either as this will leave powder residue on the coat which can irritate the skin.

Also, please ensure that you hand strip your Westie's coat instead of using clippers for grooming because clippers will spoil your Westie's coat and cause problems for their sensitive skin.

What you really need to get in preparation of your westie's arrival is a baisc grooming kit consisting of a brush and a comb, some ear cleaning solution and cotton wool. Do not use cotton buds. You can add to it later after you have gauged his grooming needs from experience. When you apply the ear cleaning solution, the gunk in the ear will "float up". Get a small ball of cotton to wipe the gunk as it comes up - don't use a cotton bud and stick it down his ear as he may struggle and get hurt by the cotton bud. Safer to stick to using the cotton ball even if it is slower.

Westies are actually fairly low maintenance dogs. The only thing you should do daily is to wipe your westie's muzzle with a damp towel after every meals to remove excess saliva on his muzzle area. This will help keep his muzzle from getting discoloured. Don't worry - after a while, your Westie will wipe his mouth himself if you leave a towel on the floor for him!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Westies.

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Dec 3, 2007, 6:26 PM

Post #16 of 67 (38029 views)
Shortcut

hi GusGus, yes, actually i've ready a johnsons baby shampoo, its the orange shampoo, not the yellow 1. but b4 that i dunno whether its suitable for westie or not, luckily u r using the same shampoo on ur westie,

actually if just using the johnsons baby shampoo, wont the fur getting yellowish bcoz didnt using the whitening shampoo? dilema now, went across many pet shop, they all suggesting me different different brand of whitening shampoo, and i have no idea on which brand should i go for. price range from RM20++-RM50++...no idea...Crazy

actually after every meal and after a walk, if i use damp towel to wipe his muzzle and paws, if keep this habit consistant, will this few spots still getting yellowish? (by using the Johnsons baby shampoo, not whitening shampoo)

and ya, i planning to knife stripping my westie, will that be ok? hand stripping only need to repeat few times since his puppyhood rite? after the coat getting hard then go for knife stripping, is that ok? i definately wont clip my westie, bcoz i dislike the clip style, somemore its not good for westie as what u explained.

thanks for the precious tips ya, so useful info...thanks to u on behalf of my westie puppy..Wink

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Dec 3, 2007, 8:27 PM

Post #17 of 67 (38024 views)
Shortcut

There really isn't any special need for whitening shampoo. They can be very harsh on the skin. It's also not recommended to wash your dog's face with whitening shampoo in case it irritates his eyes. You should be using baby shampoo for his face.

If your dog has his muzzle wiped after meals, his muzzle should stay relatively stainless. I had a westie who wiped his mouth after every meal and his muzzle stayed white and stainless for his whole life without the use of whitening shampoos.

The term used for removing excess hair to maintain the hard coat of your Westie is hand stripping. There are various stripping tools available in the market which are generically called stripping knives. At what ever age, your westie would be had stripped using a stripping knive to make a the job easier. It is possible to hand strip your westie using just your fingers but it is not just time consuming, it is also very painful on the fingers.

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Dec 3, 2007, 11:41 PM

Post #18 of 67 (38019 views)
Shortcut

oic, thanks for the useful info, i'll try out just using 'no more tears' baby shampoo, and wipe his muzzle everytime after meal, hopefully i do not need to buy whitening shampoo which can irritates his eyes.

i plan to buy stripping knife to strip his coat, as u said, to make the job easier coz im beginner in keeping westie. about hand stripping, luckily the breeder promised will show me how to hand stripping when the time i bring my puppy home, hopefully i can learn the skill from him.

still have 2 weeks plus to go my puppy will arrive my home....longing for the day to come...

proud to be an owner of westie..

Senseless
Novice

Dec 6, 2007, 8:15 PM

Post #19 of 67 (37981 views)
Shortcut

Is once a week consider often for bathing? And what is hand stripping? Crazy

windwind
New User

Jan 6, 2008, 10:41 PM

Post #20 of 67 (37847 views)
Shortcut

Hi all, I have westie also... it's a girl.

pennywise, you train your westie very well leh. My westie sometime very nauty and don't want listen to me Unsure

Senseless, do you still bring your westie to Central Park? If yes then maybe next time will my girl girl go too Wink.

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Jan 9, 2008, 8:54 PM

Post #21 of 67 (37745 views)
Shortcut

my westie finally was with me for more than 3 weeks now, such a notty boy who like to bite my hand and leg.

anyone here can pls give me some tips how to calm him down b4 i can train him some basic command? really exhausted with this feller, hyper active boy.Unsure

Senseless
Novice

Jan 15, 2008, 9:38 PM

Post #22 of 67 (37588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windwind] Westie Owners United [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I do bring my westie to Central Park. Sunday morning is a good time to see many dog owners and their furkid there.

kevycc
Novice

Mar 21, 2008, 8:39 PM

Post #23 of 67 (37115 views)
Shortcut

Hi guys Frown, nice to meet all the owners of westie here. I had a westie too named Snowie and she is 2 years old now.

You guys bring your westie to the morning walk at sunday in 1u park? or the k-9 event? Lets have a small gathering then. hehe...Wink

2 find out more about Snowie? I had created a blog for her at cutewestie.blogspot.com. Feel free to check it out.

Kevin

-------------------------------------
My Snowie the Westie's Blog ;-)

cutewestie.blogspot.com

Senseless
Novice

Mar 21, 2008, 11:56 PM

Post #24 of 67 (37108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kevycc] Westie Owners United [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like most of the Westie owner are guys, wonder any lady owner around? Tongue

My westie will be going to the K-9 event in Midvalley on 29th March. Frown His god-mum will bring him there.

kevycc
Novice

Mar 22, 2008, 3:56 AM

Post #25 of 67 (37100 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Looks like most of the Westie owner are guys, wonder any lady owner around? Tongue

My westie will be going to the K-9 event in Midvalley on 29th March. Frown His god-mum will bring him there.

Ya. I am wondering too. Shocked

What is all about the coming K-9 event at Mid Valley? Never heard of also. Anything to refer? Thanks

-------------------------------------
My Snowie the Westie's Blog ;-)

cutewestie.blogspot.com

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my