Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
How to make dog get along with cat??

min69jie
Dog Kichi

Sep 5, 2007, 9:05 PM

Post #1 of 10 (4513 views)
Shortcut
How to make dog get along with cat?? Can't Post

hi all, i juz adopted an english cocker spaniel, n i hav a cat as well. they both can get along, my dog will chase n search for the cat. once they get near, my cat will make sound to her, n my dog barks on her. couldnt they get along??
anyone keeping dogs and cats together, pls giv me some advice.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 6, 2007, 4:09 AM

Post #2 of 10 (4503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [min69jie] How to make dog get along with cat?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm... If they are both small might be easier.. There is a way which a fren of mine use but it is not guaranteed to work wan. But no harm trying la..Might sound funny though When I gave my puppy of 1 yr old to my fren she hates cats a lot and my fren has 2 cats at home. So she made my dog sit down and hold the cat like how u carry a baby under their arms and swing around my dog's head 3 times in circles. Suprisingly after that my dog can get along with the 2 cats at her home but will still chase other cats. I dunno wat kind of theory is this. If you do try pls let me know if it is effective or not.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

min69jie
Dog Kichi

Sep 7, 2007, 7:27 PM

Post #3 of 10 (4487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] How to make dog get along with cat?? [In reply to] Can't Post

reli sounds funny, but i'll try. my dog is cocker spaniel. mayb bcoz difren sizes they can accept. but sometimes i cant understand my dog's behavior,coz she makes the crying sound n wag her tail wanting to get near the cat. so i duno whether shes too excited or want to get rid off the cat.

myzanordin
ALPHA

Sep 7, 2007, 9:40 PM

Post #4 of 10 (4480 views)
Shortcut

I think your dog is just getting friendly lahhh. That's y he cry for attention. Cat's nature they are a bit 'berlagak'. Dnt beliveve me, try introduce another cat to to your cat. He will start hissing and donno wat lah..it takes them a while to break the ice.

I have 2 cats. My dogs will ignore Thumby. But at times bark at him like mad for him to react. Thumby just couldnt care less and mind his own business. On the other hand, Muffy always kena bully from the dogs. The moment they see him, they will chase after him. One pull the ear, one pull tail and one will pull his stomach. Muffy will just meow loudly....and let it be..

Now, if its soo...inconvenient for Muffy, why he just 'tampar' them like how Thumby did (leave me alone sign)...i think Muffy also love the attention ! Funny Crazy

In your case, i think its similar to the dogs and Thumby...the cat want the dog to leave him alone. But the dog still dont get it lor......Sly

min69jie
Dog Kichi

Sep 8, 2007, 1:02 AM

Post #5 of 10 (4467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] How to make dog get along with cat?? [In reply to] Can't Post

u mean let it be for them to fight? coz last time my housemate's shitzu got slap by my cat, kiki juz walk by n then go near n slam the shitzu. making others to know that shes the king here.

the dog juz came for 6days, i think stil long to go for them to adapt. now wen my dog with me in room, my cat will go down to ground free n easy, n my bf will arrange to play with her. juz to balance for both fellas.

and one thing, my dog only pee n pee outside, she tahan for all day. how to train her to go toilet? normali we take her out twice a day, but last nite the head of guard warn us not to take dogs out coz ppl here complain bout it. but im worry she mig hav problem if she tahan like this. any advice?

myzanordin
ALPHA

Sep 8, 2007, 1:15 AM

Post #6 of 10 (4465 views)
Shortcut

Aiyo ! Poor thing.Cant help you lah. Never experience that. But, maybe I can suggest putting newspaper in toilet first...lor. Normally, dogs are attracted to it..

How big is your dog? The weight I mean? If its small enuff,get a carrier to smuggle it out lor...otherwise, use the stair cairs...last resort, ask the residents to go to hell !!...urrgghh..m sooo stress with this dog issue in condo...Not that we let our doggie poo in the stairway, or walk in their corridor..they hardly bark too ..Unsure

M definately moving out as soon as I get my buyer....

min69jie
Dog Kichi

Sep 8, 2007, 2:12 AM

Post #7 of 10 (4464 views)
Shortcut

she even fear of goin into toilet. i tried to company her inside after her meal, she will sit ther n then lie down pulak. i was thinkg to try newspaper then dn bring her out to relief for 2days. c how it goes. pity her.

my dog is around 15kg.medium size. she dn even bark,not at all. n we brought her to peepoo at those reli remote area, where the residents impossible to step on.

we hope to get to buy a terrace house once we end the tenant contract here by nex year. coz i hav another shitzu coming. my sis is babysitting my rottie. they reli need space.

min69jie
Dog Kichi

Sep 11, 2007, 9:27 PM

Post #8 of 10 (4372 views)
Shortcut

i was away for few hours this morning n left my dog home.but she barked until my neighbor knock n complain, my housemate told me. then wen i came home 2 guards came to warn me, coz the stupid neighbor cal up office n ask them to warn me.

do your dog barks wen ur away?wat can i do?

myzanordin
ALPHA

Sep 11, 2007, 9:56 PM

Post #9 of 10 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Have no problem with that. They have been taught, since, puppy that I don't condone with unnecesary barking. Give them a stern NO. NO BARK or i just hold the hanger and ketuk the wall and they know I dont like their behaviour lor.

So far, they only bark when they got excited that I am home. Other than that, my neighbour told me...peaceful ...Maybe, your dog feel insecure or bored.. Give him lots of toy..Do you cage it when u r not home? Maybe dia tak suka lah..

min69jie
Dog Kichi

Sep 11, 2007, 11:36 PM

Post #10 of 10 (4363 views)
Shortcut

shes free and easy at all in the house.shes too manja n always following me.last nite i tried to let her slept outside our room,i wanted to train her b abit independent,but then she knocked the door like goin to crack it.at last also let her sleep inside with me.another shitzu is coming to my house nex wek i guess,a fren migrated oversea cant take along it,i hope they can get along so tat at least she got teman at home,wont b so boring.coz i cant take her out evrytime.

i'll try some toys for her,but shes not active kind,always sleep at home.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my