Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
solution added to drinking water to lessen pee/poo smell?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

J-J
Dog Kichi

Aug 13, 2007, 10:54 PM

Post #1 of 36 (3247 views)
Shortcut
solution added to drinking water to lessen pee/poo smell? Can't Post

Ask u all sumting ah… I came across dis product in ikano’s pet safari last nite. it’s a clear bottle of solution (sorry ah, forgot d brand n cannot check cos I’m posting from ofis) that is supposed to b added to our doggies’ drinking water. Continual use suppose to lessen d smell of their pee / poo and in longer term, will improve their dental health. Has anyone used this n does it work? It’s about rm30 per bottle, made in Canada.

supermutts
K9 Senior

Aug 13, 2007, 11:39 PM

Post #2 of 36 (3239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [J-J] solution added to drinking water to lessen pee/poo smell? [In reply to] Can't Post

yes i know which one u r talking about,
cos my mutts are drinking this now back home,

i use this after reviewed a few products in the market, which claims
to prevent plaque build up.

actually i dun agree in adding these stuffs into the water to let the dog
drink, cos sometimes i doubt its ingredients, etc.

i use this out of desperation,,, sigh.....

cos when i am at home i will brush the mutts teeth everyday,

but now i am away from home for a month!

and no one at home would volunteer to brush the mutts teeth.

i have to teach my bro to do it for me, and he can only brush abit
once in 2 days.

when i brush i'd make sure that all the teeth surface has been brushed.
its not a easy job, but im used to it.
for my bro, its not easy cos he don't handle the mutts.

started to use this since last year, i found it in pets lover in SG
bought a bottle, and only add to the water when im overseas.

then i ask the pet safari in KL to bring this product over, they took
half a year to do so.
the price here is a bit cheaper than in SG.
the 1st 2 bottles have been snapped up by duno who.

and i cepat gasak 2 bottles last month, before i leave.
i ve stocked 5 bottles at home , for this trip.
the other 3 is frm SG.

now they have stock again. cool.

there are a few products out there, ive bought 2 other brands before
i found this.

one is a blue colour liquid, but the content is like soap, i stopped
using it after just once, and still have the full bottle.
the other one is a small bottle by nutripet i think.

but this one, i think it works.
cos my mutts have dental problems, they have recessive gums on
a few tooth, so if i din't brush teeth after 2 days i could smell it.

i mean i really open their mouth and stuck my nose inside.

when they drink water added with this, there is no smell.

i din really smell the poo tho, cos tht is not my purpose of using this
product.

one thing i wana remind u is, this is not a long term solution
to clean ur dogs teeth. and i wouldn't even use it long term.

they will stop drinking this once i got back home.
normally i will be away for a week, but hell this trip is longest...

i can post some pics but its late here, need to sleep liao.

ps

anthium dioxide is the active ingredient,
if anyone here has fren or is a chemist, do check out this stuff
whether its harmfull in the long run.....

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

(This post was edited by supermutts on Aug 13, 2007, 11:47 PM)

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Aug 13, 2007, 11:47 PM

Post #3 of 36 (3236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [J-J] solution added to drinking water to lessen pee/poo smell? [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked ohh looks like they got a new brand now. In ikano somemore. Last year when I asked them for such product, they look at me as if i'm some crazy woman just landed from Mars like that. Aik this year they bring in pulak.

Yes the other alternative brand that is made locally is called Oxyfresh. It's colorless like water. Some brand have it in blue or orange looking solution. Directions is to put a certain amount into 1 quart of water. SOmething like that.

Usually in 3-5 days u'll notice the difference in the pee and poo smell. But uhave to be rajin and continuosly put into their drinking water. Don today put,tomorrow put and the next 2 days never put. Of cos no difference lah like that.

I have been using it for more than a year now. They pee and poo of cos still got smell lah but not so strong lor. My dogs pee and poo on the same spot every day and my garden doesnt smell like pee or poo at all.

As for the helping with dental care, that has yet to prove itself lah. tartar still collects on my dog's teeth even though I've added that to their drinking water. I still have to brush teeth for them every week.

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

supermutts
K9 Senior

Aug 13, 2007, 11:51 PM

Post #4 of 36 (3232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] solution added to drinking water to lessen pee/poo smell? [In reply to] Can't Post

steff wht product r u using?

oxyfresh?

oxyfresh the ingredient is not the same as this one.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

(This post was edited by supermutts on Aug 13, 2007, 11:53 PM)

J-J
Dog Kichi

Aug 13, 2007, 11:57 PM

Post #5 of 36 (3230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] solution added to drinking water to lessen pee/poo smell? [In reply to] Can't Post

ya, i oso feel abit uncomfortable with d ingredients - yucca (sp?) extract? but gave it benefit of doubt since it's from canada where i presume FDA regulations are stricter than in say, china. bought a bottle, diluted 1.5 caps of it into my maltese's 1 litre/36 oz water bottle last nite. am also wondering if he can taste the difference in the water n if he will be ok with it. need to check how much he drank when i get home today.

good to hear that it helps with d bad breath! read somewhere that bad breath is sometimes an indication of d state of d dog's dental health, so i guess this thing works to some extent. thanks for recommending dis to pet safari, supermutt.

i brush the lil fella teeth, but not on a daily basis yet. each teeth brushing session is still a struggle - he chews my fingers, licks the poultry flavoured toothpaste, cannot sit still etc - end up half brushed, half not, that sort of thing. den last weekend smelled something not so pleasant in his mouth n though no harm trying this product whilst still working on technique to brushing his teeth rite! d lessening of pee/poo smell would be a great bonus. Cool

p/s i bought d 2nd last bottle - there's 1 more on d shelf at pet safari for now.

supermutts
K9 Senior

Aug 14, 2007, 12:05 AM

Post #6 of 36 (3227 views)
Shortcut

how old is ur dog,

if u smell something not pleasant, then u have to carefully
check his teeth again for tartar.

tartar won't be removed by brushing, no matter wht it will be there.
and if it smells, its not good.

some vets they duno how to look at a dogs teeth.

u have to look at it yourself, carefully with a torch or at bright day light.

use this website as a guide,

http://www.dentalvet.com

both my mutts teeth have been scaled and have tooth extracted,

when ur dogs teeth have been properly cleaned by a ultrasonic
scaling instrument by the vet, then u can properly
start a dental care program at home.

dog has to be under GA tho....
price is not cheap, and few vets have this machine.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

J-J
Dog Kichi

Aug 14, 2007, 12:12 AM

Post #7 of 36 (3224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] solution added to drinking water to lessen pee/poo smell? [In reply to] Can't Post

steffy, dis brand's one oso colourless, but got slight smell. hence was wondering if doggie can taste it in d water since their taste bud much > sensitive den us human's. cool dat it works n ur doggies' pee/poo dun smell so much anymore. i live in a condo, so hor, altho i thoroughly wash his 'toilet' everyday, a certain 'smell' greets me everyday when i open d door coming home from work (when out we close all d windows somemore in case heavy rain so u imagine lor... hahaha).

ah... yes, atrium dioxide. i hv no idea what in d world is that as well... that n d yucca extract (sounds organic) is d 2 main ingredients mentioned. wld b great is someone can shed some light on whether these stuff is safe for doggie's long term consumption. i hv no clue...

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Aug 14, 2007, 12:27 AM

Post #8 of 36 (3222 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] solution added to drinking water to lessen pee/poo smell? [In reply to] Can't Post

yea lah oxyfresh lah. I know it's different than the one I was using before. But I got no choice mah last time. Donnu where to get the one I brought back from US. The previous one apparently controls plague build-up and helps freshen breath. This Oxyfresh is different but it's the closest thing I can find here wor. Now u say ikano got, I'll go and see later lor.

Last time ask donnu how many pet shops I went to ask, they look at me as I'm mad ok. Somemore I brought the one I was using to show to them that such product do exist. Crazy hahaha somemore remembered showing them the rawhide with real pork and beef stuffed into in-between their folds and asked them to bring it in cos sure to sell like hot cakes. hahahahaahah Tongue

Ok this other product, what is called and only Ikano can find ah? If yes, I shall rush there after work today. hahahaha yeah call it Kiasu syndrome. Tongue

Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

J-J
Dog Kichi

Aug 14, 2007, 12:29 AM

Post #9 of 36 (3221 views)
Shortcut

milo, my maltese, is about 6 mths ol. small fella oni. got his teeth not too long ago so dun think there can b any hardened plaque etc.. more possibly rotten food stuck somewhere in his mouth (which will later turn into plaque) or he ate something yucky from d flower pots at d balcony. tried 2 brush n gv him some oral bones (d dark green coloured ones from pet safari) but still got smell - altho lesser. so hor, thought adding dis to his water might b a good idea if it helps with dental health. mayb i'm juz plain paranoid n kiasi!

v got him 2 mths ago, when he was about 4 mths old. v brought him to vet in tmn tun dr ismail d same week v brought him home. d vet did check-check his teeth but i think it was more to see what teeth has grown den for plaque etc..

hey d website has good stuff - thanks! din really kno how plaque is spose to look like. Blush

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Aug 14, 2007, 12:36 AM

Post #10 of 36 (3220 views)
Shortcut

eh mutt ah, where u go for the scaling ah? AMC ah? Only AMC can do it? Any other private solo vets that can do it in PJ area?

AMC price estimated to be around RM240++ leh....Pirate I brought rascal in a few weeks back and asked their opinion is his teeth bad enough that he needs scaling done ASAP. They told me to just continually brush his teeth everyday and it should do the trick as the plague buildup is only superficial. So no need to put him under GA yet. But if I continue to be lazy, then in 2 or 3 years down the road, I have to check him in for scaling liao. Crazy

Btw, u job requires u to travel a lot ah?

J-J
Dog Kichi

Aug 14, 2007, 12:42 AM

Post #11 of 36 (3220 views)
Shortcut

sorri ler stef, can't remember whats d brand. it's at home n i'm at ofis now, so can't check. mayb supermutt can help. or if u r going ikano today, 1 bottle shld still b there. u know where they keep the sanitary napkins for dogs? same shelf, right on top. only 1 brand there so u can't go wrong kwa.

eh got such thing as raw hide with yummy stuff inside ka? can find in kl? d closest i've gotten to such a thing is by stuffing his treats into those rubber egg like thingis that are hollow inside. he loves it. think he wld b crazy bout raw hides wif real pork/beef!

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Aug 14, 2007, 12:57 AM

Post #12 of 36 (3216 views)
Shortcut

got got...but i've already search high and low for it here. Cannot find ler. Even my mum is helping me track it down in S'pore. Also no luck. Maybe now got already that i donnu lah.

Yes yes, some got cheese somemore. Hahahahaha now I have wait once a year for my friends to come back from US and they will buy it for me. Wait 1 year for the thing and they finish it in 1/2 a day! Pirate really sakit hati mann....but what to do. it's for them, takkan I wanna frame it up right? Hahahahahaha can really see chunks of dried chicken meat and beef inside the rawhide one ah. I see also I wan to eat.

J-J
Dog Kichi

Aug 14, 2007, 1:17 AM

Post #13 of 36 (3212 views)
Shortcut

cheh... here dun haf. v sad hor. alot of things either dun haf or v expensive. mayb australia got... i'll b heading dat way later dis yr so i'll go n check it out. now milo will juz hv to make do wif his stuffed hollow rubber egg lor. he hasnt tire of it - yet! Cool

supermutts
K9 Senior

Aug 15, 2007, 1:10 PM

Post #14 of 36 (3179 views)
Shortcut

so did u get it at ikano?

wht is the name of the product u got from US? don't tell me u forgot Laugh

Don't Lost your dogs!!

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Aug 15, 2007, 7:39 PM

Post #15 of 36 (3162 views)
Shortcut

aiyooo 1 year ago lei brother Crazy....but the bottle still in Melaka lah. hahahahah I'm in KL now. It's a smaller bottle as compared to Oxyfresh, but same style. Just that got 2 cute doggies on it. Hopefully my mum didnt throw it away while packing my stuff up. Hehe...

Wait wait....here this is the one I brought back: *oops...a dog and a cat, not 2 doggies*

I've tried this before too, sample courtesy of my friend there:

If I'm not wrong, I think I saw this in Midvalley once. Somehow I preferred the earlier one.

P/S: No I didnt get it from Ikano because I did not get off work exactly at 5PM. Blardy hell, only left office close to 6PM mannn.......and if u're around PJ area, u know how bad the traffic is on LDP at that time. In the end I reached home almost 7PM mannnn......normally takes me 20minutes to get home if I leave cun cun at 5PM. Delayed for 45minutes and this is what I get lah.

supermutts
K9 Senior

Aug 15, 2007, 8:01 PM

Post #16 of 36 (3157 views)
Shortcut

JJ, ur milo , has changed teeth already? still a young puppy.

its good to start him early in brushing teeth. after some time he will
get used to it. u have to be firm, just like training.

good to get someone to hold him, while u brush the teeth.

keep it up.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

supermutts
K9 Senior

Aug 15, 2007, 8:09 PM

Post #17 of 36 (3155 views)
Shortcut

steff,

yea i noe AMC can do it but i din send my dog there for scaling.

now there should be more vets getting this scaling instrument,
i heard that the price is like a kancil's.....

my mutts has done scaling at Dr yeoh's (tmn megah) and also
Dr Prem's.

i heard that now UVH has the machine already, if so the charge might
be cheaper there? im not sure , u have to call around n' ask.

yeah its that expensive, and they decide the price on the weight of
the animal cos of the GA.

my job?

no i don't have to travel alot, i dun like to leave my mutts at home :)
but if lucky, have to travel maybe once a year.

heard tht u r looking for a job, good luck man.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Aug 15, 2007, 8:50 PM

Post #18 of 36 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Shocked Dr Yeoh..... ohhh...ok ok me will drop by there one of these days to check out the price. I was there a few weeks back to check out the price of proheart for Rascal.

UVH is where? UPM's vet school ah?

yeah yeah....me scouting around for a job. Tired of this job liao. Everyday also have to work. 7 days a week mannnn.....like this week. One month I think I can only get 2 days off. The rest all claim money cos there is no one to cover me. Any reccomendations? Hahahahaha Sly

J-J
Dog Kichi

Aug 16, 2007, 12:16 AM

Post #19 of 36 (3138 views)
Shortcut

mutt ah, according to the vet 1.5 months ago hor (when milo was 4.5 months ol), some of his adult gigi has come out. so hor, some of his teeth are permanent. juz last weekend, while I was brushing his teeth, a small gigi fell out oo… I presume that was his baby teeth. otherwise, I dunno how to tell which teeth is baby, which is not.

my dog expert cousin was reminding me from d day we brought milo home, d importance of getting milo used to hving his teeth brushed from young. she said it doesn’t matter whether he needs it now or not wor, but if dun start young, next time when d need arises, it will b very hard cos he’s ol oredi. so hor, even tho some of his teeth are baby teeth, I wanna get him used to it so still brush every once in few days lor. den now got this solution to add to drinking water summore even betta...

stef, checked d brand at home oredi. it’s called triple pet – plague off fresh breath. n after using 2 days nia, notice significant reduction in his pee n poo smell oo (don’t pengsan anymore when reach home after long work day). So hor, dis stuff quite good leh. can’t say much for the dental health thingi as that is more of a long term thing.

only concern is whether there are any side effects on long term consumption…

J-J
Dog Kichi

Aug 16, 2007, 12:25 AM

Post #20 of 36 (3136 views)
Shortcut

stef ah, what industry u in ah? u wanna join bank or not? Tongue

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Aug 16, 2007, 12:36 AM

Post #21 of 36 (3134 views)
Shortcut

hahahah ok i know it sounds bad but as they always say, if no one tries, no one knows lor. Tongue

Ohh triple pet is it? I think I've seen it before. Cap orangy color one right. Got pictures of real dogs one right? HAHAHAH the reason I didnt pick this in the US because the other brand got cuter packaging. Hahahahahaha Tongue

Looks like now I got no choice liao lah. But last time saw Midvalley sell the blue ones before lah. Now they close down liao, and the 1U one doesnt have it.

Any idea if the midvally one close down for good or for reno only?

J-J
Dog Kichi

Aug 16, 2007, 12:50 AM

Post #22 of 36 (3132 views)
Shortcut

ya got pics of real dog, budden think d cap is green ler... my memory is v bad. hahaha. Blush mayb dey change d botol, dunno leh.

no idea on mid val's pet wonderland. i haven't been to mid val in like a gadzillion yrs ler. d traffic on weekends is v bad! got some awful experiences trying to find a car park. Crazy now scared to go there oredi.

supermutts
K9 Senior

Aug 16, 2007, 8:12 AM

Post #23 of 36 (3124 views)
Shortcut

wah ... really less smell in pee n' poo...??

my mutts shit outside, so i din bother to smell it...
since u live in condo , so i guess u can smell it better...

jj wht brush r u using to brush teeth? finger brush?

the dog will use its tounge to kacau n' lick when u do it rite?
so u need to find a way to stick one of ur fingers (the other hand)
into his mouth to prevent its tounge from moving out.
need to practise... since u got a small dog there, mouth is small as well.

the pet wonderland in MV is back after reno, but there is nothing
there la, no need to go there to check.

green cap? i think mine is all orange, unless they changed.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

(This post was edited by supermutts on Aug 16, 2007, 8:12 AM)

J-J
Dog Kichi

Aug 16, 2007, 5:43 PM

Post #24 of 36 (3116 views)
Shortcut

ya wor... noticably less pee poo smell. d oth occupant in d house aka hubby oso commented it doesnt smell so much now. mom drops by often oso said she doesnt smell anything! quite keng chow la dis product.

wat i use to brush ah - everything oso try b4. hahaha. i very hero, started straight away wit human tooth brush for baby (small small one lo). den realise not a good idea cos he ended up chewing on it, can hardly get any brushing done. so hor, i ended up buying a finger brush, oso tak jalan cos he's so small dat d brush dat covers my finger is practically d length of his mouth, so end up he chews oso. so now, i'm going back to using my finger to rub rub. he doesn't chew my finger as much so at least can get most of d surfaces. den later slowly intro back toothbrush. aiks, d oth thing is d toothpaste too tasty i think, he licks it all up before it can even make contact wit his teeth ler... jialat. hahaha. n yea, hard to put the other finger in cos his mouth so small. lol.

sorry ah... after checking again when i got home yterday, d cap is BLUE. the label is blue and GREEN with pics of real dog and cat. mayb dey change d packaging kwa? hmmm...

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Aug 16, 2007, 6:42 PM

Post #25 of 36 (3111 views)
Shortcut

my dogs also pee and poo outside. But always poo and pee on the same spot scared got smell lor. Besides my neighborhood all that kind of ppl lah. The house in front of me got like dozens of cats and kittens which I'm planning to get rid off one of these days if I catch them dumping in my garden again! I pick my dog's poo and I know which poo are theirs and which is not. If they still cant keep their bunch of cats OFF my area, I will head to hardware store in SS2 and Giant in KJ and get the necessary stuff.

MV petshop is ready already? So fast? Still nothing? Wah....how they do business like that. Actually the 1U one right, is it suppose to look like that ah? Or will they undergo some form of make-over too. Now it looks like it's half-baked somewhere. Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my