IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
My poodle bite all my room things while i'm sleeping

tanmoon

Aug 3, 2007, 11:42 PM

Post #1 of 9 (4436 views)
Shortcut
My poodle bite all my room things while i'm sleeping Can't Post

Anyone can help me. I got a toy poodle and she is up to 6 months already. She sleep together with me and my husband. When she small she will sleep quitely but right now in the middle nite time she will wake up and go to bite my room things. Yesterday she jumped up to my computer table and bite my husband wallet. Luckily the money didn't hancur just the small paper and namecard only get her bite.Last week she bite my h/p and of course my husband h/p too.Luckily only the cover get calar only. Sometimes she will look at the dustbin and she love to bite the tissue. So right now i have to put my dustbin on the chair. But one things is my poodle is a good jumper. She can jump very high and fast so i still scare cos at the day time nobody at home. I heard some people say it because her gigi gatal so she find something to chew. Is that true???Crazy

chrisong
Doggyman

Aug 6, 2007, 7:36 PM

Post #2 of 9 (4426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tanmoon] My poodle bite all my room things while i'm sleeping [In reply to] Can't Post

I think she is boring being alone. But no all pup will have this problem. Pup with this kind of problem usually not easy to teach them stop bitting. Even they learn & know can't bite your house things but once in awhile their bad behaviour still will come back and tear off your favourite thing.

Sorry, can't help you on your pup bitting problem. Hope someone can help you on this.

goofydip
Veteran

Aug 7, 2007, 9:16 PM

Post #3 of 9 (4407 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tanmoon] My poodle bite all my room things while i'm sleeping [In reply to] Can't Post

You buy some dog toys, give those toys to her only at night when u go to sleep.I'm not sure this works, but try lo..hehehe...coz my dog bites things that is reachable to him too... I bought lots of toys to him. Once I start work, I'll give all the toys to him, he'll occupied himself busy with those toys and he won't be free to bite other things then...

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

karenliew
Novice

Aug 27, 2007, 6:02 AM

Post #4 of 9 (3909 views)
Shortcut

Frown hello tanmoon,

i believe every dag will get somethings to bit in this age , same problem with my beagle too . i bough my beagle 1 month ago , she was 6 months old that time . now she very familiar with us and getting very naugthy now . she like to bit anythings on the floor , shoes was her favourite , specially there a litter ball or flower on the shoes , she will just tear off all the decoration and leave your shoes , till no more actracting for her to bit , she will tear the leather inside shoes but not outside , so you wont notice about it , very headache right !! ofcouse i very sayang her and not dare to hit her , but she getting like to bit a lot , so i have no choice but to slap her specially on her face . you have to slap her when you saw she/he bit you staff , it will make her know she doing wrong . i try this , it work for some . when i saw she bit my sandar , i'll scored her and use my sandar slap her face ( ofcouse lighty , wont hurt her )but this only work for my sandar , then she change target bit other shoes Unsure so , guess i still have long way fight with her . or maybe you can try get her smethings healthy to bit on .

Cao de Fila
Novice

Aug 27, 2007, 5:37 PM

Post #5 of 9 (3895 views)
Shortcut

Do you have a crate? put the crate in your room and crate her during night time should solve your problem.

potter

Sep 26, 2007, 2:03 PM

Post #6 of 9 (3379 views)
Shortcut

Crating won't just solve the problem if she needs to chew or if she is teething or if she is bored. You can't crate your dog more than a few hours a day. If she is already bored to begin with, crating will only cause more problem if the root cause is not being treated.

That being said, maybe you can try to buy more natural chew toys for her like bullysticks (cow tendons), flossies, avoid rawhide as it can cause choking in smaller breeds. Praise her when she chews the right things like her toys.

The next thing is to buy Bitter Apple Spray that you can spray on whatever you do not want her to chew i.e. electrical chords, furniture, etc etc. If you can't find the spray, deodorant works too (yes, I am talkign about human deodorant).

Last thing you need to do is walk her, exercise her. Depending on your dog's age, the walk should be 20-45 minutes daily. Walk fast paced/ even better jog a little. You will see the change.

One more thing, poodles are very smart dogs. They rank second most intelligent breed behind the Border Collie so they do need lots of stimuli in order to not feel bored. Maybe try bringing her to friend's house during the weekend or just out for a car ride or a play with a friend's dog. If you don't have the time to walk her, sending her to a doggie day care where there are other small dogs to play with can tire her out just as much. Some dogs chew more than others but with some training and extra stimuli, it will at least help curb it.
potter

www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=410379

zephyros
Canine Addict

Oct 24, 2007, 10:41 PM

Post #7 of 9 (3308 views)
Shortcut

your dog could still be teething. so got the need to bite things. try getting a chew toy or those greenies for your pup. your pup isn't really the problem, but it's you and your husband Laugh

you mentioned that he climbed up and got to your wallets, your h/p and other stuff. they are within reach of your puppy. it's like leaving a freshly cook tasty roasted chicken on the table. what your puppy sees is what your puppy will use. he doesn't know what is OK and what is NOT. everything is ok untill you teach it's not. so why take the trouble to teach is not, when you can encourage your dog to chew on the things you want him to chew?

when he is about to start chewing something, replace it with something u want him to chew. if you're asleep, crate your dog, or at least a play-pen. limit the access. prevention is better than cure.

smokey774
Novice

Nov 18, 2007, 7:18 PM

Post #8 of 9 (3249 views)
Shortcut

you need to crate train your pup..she is running your household during the night!!!!

this may be hard but if you read my other posts it tells hoe to trasin them and its quite important. also she needs an alternative to chewing on your things. when you catch her takeit away and sternly say no or bad and give her a nice rawhide or something that will last her a while.

but i strongly suggest you do not continue to let her wander the room while you sleep. just cus she is little doesnt mean she can get away with it. this behavior can get much worse you need to stop it now before it gets worse.

hope this helps!!!

zephyros
Canine Addict

Nov 29, 2007, 1:55 AM

Post #9 of 9 (3220 views)
Shortcut

how's your poodle doing?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my