Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Shiver=Cold?

goofydip
Veteran

Jul 30, 2007, 11:46 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1418 views)
Shortcut
Shiver=Cold? Can't Post

Is it everytime a dog shiver, means cold? I see that Goofy shivers a lot this few whiles... Not always, but mostly when I'm in the living room with him, he suddenly shivers a lot. Even after I put him on with his sweater also he shivers.

Anyone knows this?

Thanks

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

dowk2301
Dog Kichi

Jul 31, 2007, 5:21 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goofydip] Shiver=Cold? [In reply to] Can't Post

I read a lot about Chis before I got one. Some of the reasons they shiver is because they have high metabolism rate and they shiver to keep themselves warm. They also shiver when they are excited or stress. In your case, I believe she is just trying to keep herself warm. It is quite normal for Chi to shiver. Is your Chi sleeping in your air-cond room? I heard that we should avoid that if possible as they need higher room temperature compared to humans.

I have also a problem with my Chi yesterday. Suddenly, I got a call from my wife saying the our Chi lost appetite and not active. She just want to sleep and walk also slumber one. So, called the vet and he advised to give glucose and probably it's one of the mood swings. So, we gave glucose and 1" in Nutrical which she resisted. After about 15 mins, she got active and started eating her food again and seems normal. After an hour, she vomitted twice and started to purge. She lilterally purge the whole night cause she vomitted all the food she ate. Her purge was only water from the glucose she was drinking. Though she doesn't seem very weak but very concern due to the purging. No solid but just water - maybe from the glucose that she is drinking and no solid food in her. Did this happen to you before? Dunno why she lost appetite lah. When she purge, she shoots out water just like we human when we purge. Wah lau .... like water pistol. Any advise?

goofydip
Veteran

Jul 31, 2007, 6:10 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1407 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dowk2301] Shiver=Cold? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still not sure why Goofy shiver like this. But thanks for your advice. We are not sleeping in air-con room coz we are staying in Cameron Highlands..hehehehTongue... Most of the nights, I'll get him to wear his thicker clothes. But these few days he really shiver more than normal days... tats y i'm a bit worry.

For me, if Goofy is having Chelsea's problem(touchwood), I'll give him the pills 1st. Bcoz I'm staying in Cameron Highlands, no vet here..I couldn't run to Ipoh for that, so I got some emergency pills from my vet. If not, I'll bring him to the vet straight, coz I never had this experience before and I'm really got panic if this kind of things happened...

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

myzanordin
ALPHA

Jul 31, 2007, 6:46 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dowk2301] Shiver=Cold? [In reply to] Can't Post

I suggest you take your Chi to the vet. Any type of purging, be it watery, or otherwise, is not common. The body tend to dehydrate very fast. And it requires replenishment. Being a puppy/baby your Chi is prone to sickness,as the imune system is very very weak.

mizeakira

Aug 1, 2007, 4:01 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1383 views)
Shortcut

Hey, I own a chi and she shivers sometimes. When she is scared or cold she will shiver. So I think its normal for them to shiver once in a while as they are small dogs. However, if it shiver all the time and lost appetite, I think is best to consult a vet.
FrownmizeakiraFrown

goofydip
Veteran

Aug 2, 2007, 2:57 AM

Post #6 of 10 (1365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mizeakira] Shiver=Cold? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks.. I'm not sure, but till today I think normal gua, bcoz he still eat like usual. Still naughty as usual!Tongue I was real worry at first bcoz he shivers more than normal days. And more than those cold days..

mizeakira

Aug 2, 2007, 5:17 AM

Post #7 of 10 (1364 views)
Shortcut

No worries. If he eat normal and is as naughty as usual, I think he is fine. Just need to get use to their shivering body.. Laugh It can be your personal massager.
FrownmizeakiraFrown

supermutts
K9 Senior

Aug 2, 2007, 2:33 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1361 views)
Shortcut

chihuahua.... not much meat or fat to protect from cold, somemore in CH, sure sejuk ler.... haha....

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

kien29
Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007, 7:57 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1353 views)
Shortcut

Hi Goofy..

hope goofy is feeling ok today... yeah, i think he shiver mayb because of cold or scared... since he can eat and play.. i think shouldn't be any problem.. just a baby needs mom attention..

Take care..

Love
Kien n Rossi

** kien **

Frown Welcome to Rossi's blog Frown

goofydip
Veteran

Aug 4, 2007, 1:20 AM

Post #10 of 10 (1338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [all] Shiver=Cold? [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah, i think he getting my attention nia... Coz once I hug him in arms, he stop shiver liao... Crazy

supermutts,
but he mix wor...chihuahua mix pinscher...hehehe... but sometimes even more cold also he don't shiver wor...dunno la, maybe really like what you all said, getting attention gua...

he really did got appetite like usual, so, no worries lo, hor?

Thanx for everyone's advice...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my