IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
How to become a good Pet Groomer??

JustineBiBi

Jul 30, 2007, 2:05 AM

Post #1 of 8 (3355 views)
Shortcut
How to become a good Pet Groomer?? Can't Post

since last 2 years, when i have my 1st dog, shih tzu.... i have a dream to become a pet groomer. most of the time, i groom my shih tzu myself (basic grooming). i have read a lot of books regarding grooming n learn from books or magazine or even ask dog lovers around me... sometimes, even the my dog groomer (if he got the time to talk to me)

since then, i have tried to search around my area for the dog grooming course... but, not even a training school in JB. in KL or Spore, there r a lot of training schools. BUT, WHICH IS THE BEST? as all of us know, the dog grooming course is not a a course that everyone can afford to... coz it is really costly. though the fees is expensive, i still hope that i can complete the course one day in the future.

the question is... HOW TO BECOME A GOOD PET GROOMER??? anyone can tell me?

janthk
Canine Addict

Jul 30, 2007, 4:15 AM

Post #2 of 8 (3352 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JustineBiBi] How to become a good Pet Groomer?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Justine,

I have the same interest as you and I have done some research online. As far as I can tell, the best option in KL is being offered by this grooming academy in KL. Check out the website below:-

http://www.houseofgroomers.com/groomingschool.htm

Aside from that, there are also a few correspondence courses being offered. However, I am not sure how effective this is because there are no hands on work. Here is the website for you to check out. There are a few schools being mentioned here.

http://www.petgroomer.com/...oming_home_study.htm

Good luck in your pursuit!

JustineBiBi

Jul 30, 2007, 6:18 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janthk] How to become a good Pet Groomer?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Janthk,

Thanks for providing me the websites. Are planning to take the course? By the way, where u from?

As far as I know, the Home Study does not provide us the practical training for the dog grooming. But they need us to groom different breed of dogs and record the grooming process and then send to them when Exam. Is this effective? Where can we get so many different breeds of dogs?

janthk
Canine Addict

Jul 31, 2007, 6:10 AM

Post #4 of 8 (3329 views)
Shortcut

Dear Justine,

Yes I totally agree with you about the home grooming course. That's why I am thinking twice about it. I am just curious how it works. And do people really learn anything from it? Like you said, there is no practical grooming.

Yeah I am thinking about taking up the grooming course with HOG. But I need to save up in order to do that. What about you? Are you considering too?

I am from Penang but am now living in KL. What about you?

JustineBiBi

Jul 31, 2007, 6:34 AM

Post #5 of 8 (3326 views)
Shortcut

Besides HOG, are you considering other grooming school as well? How about The Pet Family? (www.thepetfamily.com) They also offer grooming course too. The grooming equipments are included and the duration is shorter compare to HOG.

When are you going to go for the course? I am planning to take the course but not now as I am pregnant now. Need to wait till next year. But, need to financially plan properly... :) As all of us know, the course fee is costly.

I am from JB. My family all in JB too. Besides the financial, I need to consider my family too. That's why need to make my decision properly...

HOG and The Pet Family are good as well after read their website. Do not know how to choose if going to take the course...

janthk
Canine Addict

Aug 2, 2007, 5:18 AM

Post #6 of 8 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Hi Justine,

If you and your family are staying in JB, how are you gonna attend the classes? Are you planning to move down to KL soon?

I am planning to visit HOG on Saturday. Hopefully can get some more information which I shall share with you once I have it. In all honesty, HOG looks more professional. However, of course the duration is longer. For me, getting sufficient knowledge and knowing the right and professional way of grooming is important because I intend to have a business of my own someday. So this is the groundwork and foundation therefore I need a strong one.

I think in order to train grooming, one needs to have a master groomer's certificate. I dont see that programme being offered by Pet's Family. Therefore if I do the programme at Pets Family, I wont be able to continue to master groomer.

Anyways, I will visit and research both and let you know the outcome.

By the way, there is also another grooming centre which is teaching classes and that is at somewhere near Jalan Pudu. Probably will check that one out too.

JustineBiBi

Aug 21, 2007, 12:00 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2988 views)
Shortcut

hi janthk,

sorry for the late reply.

how was your visit to HOG? can share with me some of the info you got from there?

as for your info, my whole family is here in jb. if i need to take the course, then i'll have to go to kl. ya, the duration from HOG is longer (about 1/2 year). as like you, someday later, if i'm given an opportunity, i intend to have my own business in dog grooming too. but, from what i know, in jb here not as in kl, the grooming industry in kl is much more better than in jb. just worry... later on... is the grooming industry will keep booming???

JustineBiBi

Sep 13, 2007, 12:25 AM

Post #8 of 8 (2768 views)
Shortcut

I got some info from HOG and read through the booklet provided. The courses offered are explain in details.

Anyone from here is taking grroming course? In HOG? Kindly provide more info...

Thanks.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my