Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
Agressive Dog and new puppy - Help needed

goshmy
New User

Jul 28, 2007, 6:54 PM

Post #1 of 7 (6074 views)
Shortcut
Agressive Dog and new puppy - Help needed Can't Post

Hi, I need some advice. I have got a 8 years old Rottweiler. He is not trained in anyway and we dont seemed to be able to control him. Recently we bought a labrador puppy. How can I get him to get use to the puppy. The moment he sees the puppy he grows mad. At various occasions i have managed to get them to touch noses (obviously with the rottie in the kennel) but that didnt help.
Please help..thanks in anticipation.

Cao de Fila
Novice

Sep 10, 2007, 6:46 PM

Post #2 of 7 (4928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goshmy] Agressive Dog and new puppy - Help needed [In reply to] Can't Post

may i know how long you have the rottweiler for? is he acting aggressive towards other dogs?

since you are unable to control the rottweiler, i would advise you never leave them out together. just one snap from the rottweiler could be fatal to the pup.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 10, 2007, 7:18 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cao de Fila] Agressive Dog and new puppy - Help needed [In reply to] Can't Post

Best is to send your new dog to training also.. As am sure it will turn like your rottweiller soon also.. This proves that pedigrees are hard to train also as opposed to what majoritiy of the public think and have always been asking for pedigree pups..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

FoxTrot2
Novice

Sep 23, 2007, 8:08 AM

Post #4 of 7 (4830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Agressive Dog and new puppy - Help needed [In reply to] Can't Post

This proves nothing but there was neither obedience training nor manners thought to the rott. You just assumed that it has a pedigree. There are well bred dogs without pedigree, reason being these breeders don't bother. Pedigree or not, obedience is obedience and manners are manners. A pedigree doesn't prove anything but what is on the pedigree...that, can also be faked.

Goshmy,

I agree that your puppy needs obedience training, not necessarily "send you new dog for training". I prefer to train obedience and manners with my dog instead of sending him to somebody else. Reprimand your pup if he starts to behave aggressively to other dogs. This is one thing that you shouldn't allow your pup to develop.

As for your Rottie, does he/she have any respect for any member of your family? If he/she does, ask that family member to teach your Rottie that any display/act of aggression to any family member (incl. your new pup) is not acceptable. Personally, I would prefer a person who has the respect of the dog to teach this to make things 'easier' which is a very very very general statement in a comparatively sense, a Rottie is a powerful dog, so do becareful. It's difficult to explain online. I don't believe in keyboard training as well. If you have any friends that are familiar/experienced with big working dogs, best to get their feedback and get them to show you how if needs be.

And yes, don't ever put them together unsupervised, in fact not even when they're supervised until you get this dog aggression issue sorted out...which is going to be long, painful and maybe unsuccessful. Nonetheless, all the best!

And to Cao de Fila's question, does he display this aggression to any other dogs?

Regards
FoxTrot2

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Sep 23, 2007, 4:23 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4823 views)
Shortcut

Sad to tell you your dog need to be rehabilitated.

You can try but 8 years old, your dog needs extra effort. With the right technique and system, your dog will be balanced again. Dont wait because you have a puppy. To have calm dogs, both of them need to behave. I am afraid the puppy will eventually become unbalance too. In the meantime, like someone suggested above, separate them 2 and if you want to socialize them, make sure under close supervision.

Try asking your vet or call the professional to show you how. If you want to do it yourself, do your research in the Net or buy a book, do exactly what the book says and follow through. It also requires you some tight regime and disciplines.

You can buy a DVD from Cesar Millan. Goole it or buy at amazon.com. The technique is easy yet fast result.

Good luck.

goshmy
New User

Oct 3, 2007, 7:22 AM

Post #6 of 7 (4739 views)
Shortcut
Re: Agressive Dog and new puppy - Help needed [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for not replying all of you as i havent been checking this site for quite a while.
Anyway thanks for all your replies.

Had the rottie when he was a pup...didnt really train him..really wished i had then. he does not exhibit real aggression towards us family members unless of course we try to take food away from him or give him an injection etc.

As for the aggression, it seemed to have toned down a bit as my rottie does not bark at the lab anymore. I also took quite a bit of time in trying to train the lab as I think it is impossible to train the rottie at his age. I have managed to get the lab to sit, stay and lie down. Do you think I should send the lab for training as I am afraid she will turn up like the rottie? At the moment the lab keeps jumping on me and biting my legs and hands.. I cant seem to be able to get her to stop biting and jumping on me. What should I do?

Also do you think i should now let out the rottie and lab together? There was once the lab ran out when the rottie was around. The rottie seemed irritated as the lab kept jumping on the rottie...am just worried it will provoke the rottie to bite the lab...

PSY
K9 Kaki

Oct 25, 2007, 7:18 PM

Post #7 of 7 (4286 views)
Shortcut

Hi, suggestion is derive from what is written in your posting. First, breeding has a lot to do with the outcome of your dog. A rule of thumb, most puppies from good temperment parents are usually good irrespective of pedigree or breed.
As you have mentioned, taking food away can get your dog to growl, this is due to bad training on your part as when it was a puppy you should have started taking food away at anytime and giving it back plus reprimanding it when it does growl. You also mentioned by chance the lab got out and was prancing around the rottie and there was some commotion and irrtational growl, I think it is ok as it is warning to the pup to go away. If your rottie was to bite and kill, it would have done so then. As advise to let them both out together, well I do not know and no one in their right mind would give an advise of that nature. At the end of the day you have to decide.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my