Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
umbilical hernia in M.Schnauzer

tkahhean

Jul 7, 2007, 9:55 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1604 views)
Shortcut
umbilical hernia in M.Schnauzer Can't Post

hi Dog lovers,

I'll like to seek advice/ opinion as whether should i proceed with surgical removal of a umbilical hernia found in my dog, a 2 yrs old Female M.Schnauzer. I just realized she got this growth in the middle of the lower torso abt a week + ago. Went to seek a vet today, and he recommended to cut it off since the lump is not soft. The cost is RM450+/- 100 just to remove it, and on top of spaying is abt RM250, because the location of the surgery for an umbilical hernia is very close to the location in which an incision is made in the body wall for a “spay” procedure in a female. For this reason, most all umbilical hernias, regardless of size, may be repaired at the same time as the spay in female pets. The Vet also mentioned that the risk is low, however, there're still certain % that some dogs might not even wake up after the Anesthetics effect. I'm worried. Any one has any experience in this before? If chose not to remove it, will my dog life span be shorter? coz she doesnt seem to get bothered by that "belly button" for now, still as active and playful as usual. Meanwhile, I'll try to seek more medical advice from other Vet in Penang, before i make any decision. Any good place to recommend? thanks all!

Tan

tkahhean,
I love dogs and love dogs' lover too~!
Hope i'll have a puppy as soon as i wish~!

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Jul 8, 2007, 12:22 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1599 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tkahhean] umbilical hernia in M.Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

aiya no worries lah....my puppy also has it. Just come out from hospital because of broken leg (refer to Gizmo is Warded thread).

I've asked the vets there and they also say can remove together when go for neutering/spaying. They say don remove also nvm. Wont bother them and wont cause them harm. Just that in certain situations like the way they sit or when eat too much, the bump will come out again. That's cos of the fat is the belly area is 'escaping' thru the hole. But after some time it will subside again.

I'll seek the advice of a different vet sometime this coming week cos my other dog is due for booster! So see what he says lor.

Bout dogs not waking up from anasthetic effects, well there's always a % some of them will die from it. But like the vet said it's RARE! What makes u think that we humans go under GA, it's a 100% we will wake up and eat our next meal? In humans also there's a risk some of us might never wake up from a GA mah. And the risk increases with age! So same thing for dogs lah. 2 years old should be ok lor.

My 5 months old puppy just kena go under GA so that they can put his leg in a cast without him struggling around. He is back now with me, healthy as ever, and even with that cast on him, he is still BULLYING my other dog! Crazy

But do bear in mind the risk is always there. You never know if ur dog is somehow allergic to the GA gasses used or not. It all also depends on the experience on the vet. Same like humans, it all depends on the anasthesiologist. Too much, you'll suffer brain damage and sayonara. Too little, you'll DIE from the pain itself. So how?

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

supermutts
K9 Senior

Jul 8, 2007, 12:51 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] umbilical hernia in M.Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

yep agree the above,
and if u do intend to spay ur dog, then might as well do something to the hernia.

but whoa, y is the vet in penang charge so much??

very advance hospital like AMC??

if u could recommend this vet, since he is using gas in penang, cos i saw one member 'entwash' frm penang,
who is considering spaying an aged female, and looking for a vet who uses gas. u can read the topic below.

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

tkahhean

Jul 27, 2007, 6:35 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] umbilical hernia in M.Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

hi guys,
at last my dog had her hernia removed today... together with spaying... she is extremely tired and been sleeping whole day since i got her back in the evening... i hope she will recover fast and back to her normal active and hyper temperament... i cant bear to see her suffer like this, not eating, no energy etc... pls tell me this is normal once after the surgery, probably the anesthetic effect is still there... im just worried.. :(

tkahhean,
I love dogs and love dogs' lover too~!
Hope i'll have a puppy as soon as i wish~!

supermutts
K9 Senior

Jul 27, 2007, 9:42 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1495 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tkahhean] umbilical hernia in M.Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

wish ur dog a speedy recovery. Smile

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my