Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Licking and wetting his paws.

sandy&dexter
Novice

May 23, 2003, 3:00 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2161 views)
Shortcut
Licking and wetting his paws. Can't Post

My Shih Tzu (Dexter) likes to bite and lick his paws. That annoys me very much coz after bathing (which he would be clean & dry), he would start licking and sometimes biting his paws in no time. That would cause him to become smelly again because of his sliver.
I don't think he has ticks coz I kept him indoor (no other dogs nearby). ???

Khoobg
Webmaster / Moderator

May 23, 2003, 7:12 AM

Post #2 of 7 (2156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandy&dexter] Licking and wetting his paws. [In reply to] Can't Post

Many dogs will start to lick their paws when they are bored. One of my dog also has the same problem. Whenever seeing the dog licking his paw, we just say a firm NO to tell him that we dislike his behaviour of licking his paw. When we are not around, we leave a lot of toy to keep him busy. All this should be able to reduce the licking habbit.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

comet
Dog Kichi

May 23, 2003, 6:38 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Licking and wetting his paws. [In reply to] Can't Post

my 3 yr old golder licks his toes, legs... everytime after a shower. Is this considered a bad habit? Anyways, I don't think it's bad... I think he hates the smell of the shampoo so licking prolly helps reduce the smell... :)

jasonnnnn
New User

May 24, 2003, 10:12 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2129 views)
Shortcut
Re: [comet] Licking and wetting his paws. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink Hey there, My little Shih Tzu is also named Dexter~!! What a coincidence eh.. Smile

Btw, my doggie also licks his own paws.. guess they're cleaning themselves... just like how we wash our hands.. Smile

(This post was edited by jasonnnnn on May 24, 2003, 10:14 AM)

sandy&dexter
Novice

May 25, 2003, 3:12 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Licking and wetting his paws. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dexter used to play with his toys when he was younger. He seldom does that now. He's always scratching, licking his paws and sleeping. Does that mean he's bored all the time and should I play with him more often? I find that hard as I'm working during the day time.
Of course he'll be very excited everytime I come home, but after a while, he would settle down and continue his usual habit.
Yeah, Jasonnnn, what a coincidence. Did u watch Dexter's Laboratory b4 u named him? As for me, I searched through the net for pet's name. I've even thought of Casper, but decided to name him Dexter instead as it's more special.

jasonnnnn
New User

May 25, 2003, 11:01 AM

Post #6 of 7 (2112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandy&dexter] Licking and wetting his paws. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why don't you try buying him some new toys?? My furkid will get bored of his old toys and he's always looking forward for new toys, especially soft toys like teddy bears.. Wink then the old ones he wouldn't wanna play with it anymore. I also think that shih tzu always wants attention, and also sometimes quite "keppo" like everything also wanna knoe, wanna be there..etc etc..

Well, i didn't get his name by watching dexter's lab although i knew about that cartoon. After numerous attempt to search for a name for him through the net, furthermore i read somewhere that it will be better if their names like got 2 tones, like..dex-ter or to-by..etc etc..

sandy&dexter
Novice

May 26, 2003, 2:57 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jasonnnnn] Licking and wetting his paws. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your advice, Jasonnnn. I think I'll try buying him some new toys when I have time. I agree with the "keppo" thing as he is truly one NOSY Shih Tzu. Whatever u do, he would try to keep up his pace with u and sometimes blocking your way...and yet, he does not know what's actually going on. Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my