Train Mature Dog - Shih Tzu & Frenchie

Aaron Kong
New User

Jun 27, 2007, 6:13 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1903 views)
Shortcut
Train Mature Dog - Shih Tzu & Frenchie Can't Post

Hello dear forumers,

I got a 2 yr 3 months old Shih Tzu and another 18 months old Frenchie.

When they were younger, they were let to roam free in and out of the house, but when they about 3 to 4 months old, we weren't able to teach it to drop and pee properly, my father decided to cage them and put them outside.

It's been about a year now since we've been caging our dogs, and i feel pitiful for them and only recently discovered this forum.

I would like to know if it's possible to train dogs that old, especially my really blur case Frenchie. Would really appreciate it if could provide me with tips as well.

Currently living in a intermediate terrace house but will soon shift to a bungalow where there're land that they could roam around.

I'd really love to see my dogs as obedient and loving pets. Thank you all [:)]

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 27, 2007, 5:56 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aaron Kong] Train Mature Dog - Shih Tzu & Frenchie [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there! I believe all dogs can be trained no matter the age. Come and join us at Taman Desa every Sunday and you will get to observe how the dogs are being trained. Always use positive reinforcement such as food or toys as reward when the dogs does something right. By doing that it will signal to them that is the behaviour you are looking for.

As for potty training them, there is a kind of spray which you can actually buy from pet shops. Spray it where you want to dog to do it's business and the dogs will most of the time do it there. Or else you can try using newspaper. Ask them to pee and poo on the newspaper. Keep reiterating the fact. If they pee and poo somewhere else, bring them back to the newspaper and say here.

Keep this in mind, the more you train, the easier it becomes for the doggy to learn. If you dont attempt to train at all, then the doggies wont even know what learning is. Training also strengthen the bond between human and dog. So yeah by all means train your dog! Hope to see you at Taman Desa.

Aaron Kong
New User

Jun 27, 2007, 10:02 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1891 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janthk] Train Mature Dog - Shih Tzu & Frenchie [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, i actually attend a church in Taman Desa, it's located above Vitya Curry house, first floor, below the dance school.

Which of the times stated in the Home page of the forum should i attend?

Regarding the puppy trainer spray, it didnt seem to work, that was the main reason my dad caged them. But i suppose u made your point, more determination is required to train doggies.

Thanks alot!!!

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 28, 2007, 7:40 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aaron Kong] Train Mature Dog - Shih Tzu & Frenchie [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand sometimes with our busy schedule, it is easier to keep the doggies caged up or tied up. That is the easiest way to keep the house clean if we do not have the time to train. I am so glad that you have it in your heart to think about your dog's comfort and have the intention to train them. Once you start training I am sure you will feel the stronger bond and you will also suddenly realize that you are able to communicate with your dogs so much better. You will understand them and they will also be able to understand you when you speak to them. Some times no words are needed. Just a glance or a twist of your body and your doggy will know what you want him or her to do. It is really cool! Trust me. SmileSmile

Well if you are not really sure about joining the training classes in the beginning, why dont you come with your doggies and just have fun and observe first. You can decide later if you want to join us. I am normally there from 8.30am till about 12 noon. I have 2 doggies so they are in different classes. My Sundays belongs to my dogs. Heheh!! The best time is to be there from 9.30am to about 11.00am because most classes are within those time. You will then have more different levels of classes to observe. You will see how the new students struggle with their dogs but having fun at the same time.

So see you there soon I hope!Wink

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my