Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Need to change dog food occasionally?

bejamie
Novice

Jun 24, 2007, 7:34 AM

Post #1 of 5 (590 views)
Shortcut
Need to change dog food occasionally? Can't Post

Hi. When I just got my dog, the vet recommended Eukanuba, and he seems to love his food very much. He always finish his food when I feed him. We had recently moved from Australia to Malaysia. I bought the same Eukanuba for my lab, but he doesn't like his food anymore. Most of the time he is not even eating the morning meal. When I try to make him eat dinner by staying next to him and keep asking him to eat, then only he finishes his meal. Most of the time he will sniff his food and walk away. Is this because he doesn't like his food anymore and I should change the brand, or is just he is not used to the heat here? But if I add some cooked meat or vege soup then he will finished everything immediately. Please advise me what is wrong with my dog's appetite...

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 24, 2007, 9:55 PM

Post #2 of 5 (586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bejamie] Need to change dog food occasionally? [In reply to] Can't Post

If he is doing fine with the current food just stick to it no point changing it.

The result will still be the same after sometime of consuming the new dog food. You end up changing dog food brand all the time.

bejamie
Novice

Jun 25, 2007, 5:32 AM

Post #3 of 5 (573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Need to change dog food occasionally? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your reply. So does it means I should just ignore him and when he is hungry he will still eat the same food? But most time now he doesnt eat at all unless I add something else in his food like shredded meat or soup.

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 25, 2007, 7:24 PM

Post #4 of 5 (562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bejamie] Need to change dog food occasionally? [In reply to] Can't Post

For me I will ignore him. That how I train my dogs and all my dogs will finish eating their food once I place down the dog food.

They don't choose what they like to eat, they eat what we gave them. Remember reduce feeding meat, canned food or table scrup to your dog this is the causes that your dog is choosy in their food.

Once I put down the dog food for them, they either finish eating it or they have to wait for their next meal in hunger. I usually wait about a minute, if they don't eat or touch the dog food I will take it away.

Anyway, hope this help.

bejamie
Novice

Jun 25, 2007, 10:52 PM

Post #5 of 5 (553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Need to change dog food occasionally? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for that. He used to finish his meal when I feed him. But only after we move here he is starting to show some attitude. I do not feed him scraps or canned meat, even snacks can only be fed if he earns it... I learnt about the method you suggested but I could not follow it before as I work long lours. I am reducing his amount of food now, thinking the lack of exercise here may be one of the reason. Thanks again for your advise.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my