Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
CRATE training at night, good or not good??

jennifer82
Novice

Jun 19, 2007, 10:49 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2936 views)
Shortcut
CRATE training at night, good or not good?? Can't Post

Hi...i used to put Chester (4 months old CKCS) in a play pen since i have him as a pet, now it has been 2 months already... he zzz there n play there.... but every morning n everytime i come back from work ... i can see his pee n poo everywhere inside the play pen..... i tried to toilet train him... but he prefers to do around the play pen area..... guess he already used to it.... that is y i am having a headache bout his toilet training.....

therefore i have bought a crate recently.... he didnt pee inside the cage when i check in the early morning.... ... we normally went to bed at 10.30pm ... and the 1st thing i do is bring him to the toilet after i woke up..around 6.30am.... but i am worried that he 'tahan' his pee for too long (8 hours straight) ... will this affect his bladder or health ? ? ? ... i know that for human.... it is not good ...

Thanks..

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jun 20, 2007, 6:12 PM

Post #2 of 8 (2928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jennifer82] CRATE training at night, good or not good?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

it's okay for crate training..in fact i think this is a good way to toilet trained them.

don worry of the 'tahan pee' part. as he grows older, his ability to tahan will be better. since this is working for you..continue to do this until he is toilet-trained. after that, u won need to crate him at nite anymore...

all my furkids are trained that way too..i will crate train them. n i will only let them sleep wherever they want when they are about 4-5 months old. by that time, i don hv to worry d coz they know that they are supposed to do their business in the toilet d...

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Jun 20, 2007, 11:10 PM

Post #3 of 8 (2920 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jennifer82] CRATE training at night, good or not good?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Should be ok lah......maybe it's bad lor that's why crazy americans told me to walk my dog FIVE times a day!!! Crazy FIVE freaking times take him out to do his business....maybe good also lah cos i think that's how he learnt outdoor means pee pee and poo poo. But after doing that for like 2 days, I got lazy and straight cut down to 3 times only. At 8-9 months old, my then puppy can hold his pee from 11pm till 8am the next day. But now, already 15 months old, last pee pee and poo poo would be between 6-7pm and have to tahan until 7AM before he can pee pee again. But poo poo once a day only.

Now small puppy, 4 months old, i don expect him to tahan so long, but i also do not have the choice to walk him 3 times a day anymore as I'm, working already. So I let him pee and poo in the morning before off to work and throw him in the cage with the bigger one. Of cos he will pee and poo in the cage lor but at least now he doesnt get himself dirty. Then evening once again pee and poo with the big one. Then no more already until i believe midnight sure pee and poo again in the toilet then no more until morning lor. But if excited ah, sure pee pee everywhere one. Crazy

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

jennifer82
Novice

Jun 20, 2007, 11:46 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] CRATE training at night, good or not good?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi... thanks for the reply....Wink

well..guess that make me relief a bit lor....

Crate training has solve chester problem at nite time..but until know i still no idea how wat do to when i left him in the play pen from 8 till 7 cos i need to work n nobody at home.... he pee pee everywhere n this make him dirty if he accidently step on it...Unsure futhermore ...whenever i left him out to roam freely inside the house...he always go pee near his play pen.... guess he think that is his "TOILET"....

should i train him to pee on a home made 'wizdog' n put it inside his play pen?? i had read your previous tread on how to make it...... n i think it is a good idea.... but how do u coax ur gals to pee on it?? i dont like to put lead on chester cos he like to bite it .. n wont pee as his is busy playing with the lead..

jennifer82
Novice

Jun 21, 2007, 12:11 AM

Post #5 of 8 (2915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] CRATE training at night, good or not good?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Steffy....

wah.. u dog can really tahan lor.. from 7pm to 7am....

So you put ur doggie inside a big cage when u go to work?? And when u at home ..u sure let him walk freely inside your house rite... if that so..then will your doggie go inside the big cage n pee by himself when he got the urge to pee??

Really would like to find the best solution ... i am tired of mopping the floor everyday... n he always like to pee a bit here...a bit there... haiyo... headache.... futhermore..the whole house got urine smell liao....

P/s... ya.. .my chester also pee pee when he is excited... esp when i jz reach home from work....

take care!!

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jun 21, 2007, 6:26 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2903 views)
Shortcut

i think dats becoz chester is still very young..so he cant hold his bladder for too long. dats why if you crate him whole day, he will definitely peepoo there as he has no place to go.

yup. a cleaner and better alternative is to keep him in a playpen. u can put a homemade wizdog in a corner and his bed at another corner. in this way, he will definitely has to peepoo on the 'wizdog' if he doesn;t wan to dirty his sleeping area.

but before u keep him there, train him to peepoo on the wizdog first. else you might face a problem if he considers the wizdog as the sleeping area and the bed as toiletPirate

to make him peepoo on the wizdog, juz guide him there whenever he wants to do his business. if you crate him when u r at home, then the moment you let him out, guide him to the wizdog first. after dat, praise him and treat him. same rule applies no matter which area u wan it to be his toilet place.

HAVE FUN

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Jun 21, 2007, 9:09 PM

Post #7 of 8 (2896 views)
Shortcut

yealah...train lor....when he was younger (Rascal), i malas wan to walk him 5 times a day mah...so at about 11pm i'll take him below my apt to pee only, after that straight away bring him up and lift his water bowl, don let him drink. No drink, no pee lor until next morning only let him drink and eat. Ya ya...some ppl call it torture cos i'm depriving a 6 months old puppy from having water, but that was not for long. After i've had 100% confidence that he wont do his business indoor then he gets the luxury of having access to his water bowl anytime of the day lor. I'm currently doing that with my younger puppy (gizmo). After he pee the last time say about 10PM, i'll lift the water bowl. It kinda works a little cos in the morning when i get up, at least i don find 3 or more different pool of pee everywhere near the toilet except in the toilet. This morning totally no pee pool anywhere out of the toilet. Untill I have 100% confidence Gizmo wont pee outside the toilet anymore then only shall he get his access to the water bowl anytime he wants. Till then, i'll decide when they get to drink and when they dont. Tongue

Yes, when i go to work, i dump them in a big cage...... a cage big enough to fit a GR in it comfortably. hahaha yeah i was crazy to get such a big cage, i went hunting the whole of KL trying to get the exact same cage that i was using in the US. Finally manage to find it in 1U, model slightly different but same manufacturer. So burnt about RM350 on that cage lor. Then when i get back from work, I let the sliding door open wide, and both of them know how to automaticall run outside and get on the grass patch to pee and poo. Rascal is cage trained so he will NEVER EVER do his business in his cage. Gizmo is learning that from rascal but i don expect him to master it till he is older and have better control over his bowels and bladder. But so far he is doing good lah, at least he poo and pee on the paper and push the whole bunch of paper into a corner, then he'll go and stick to bigger brother. But surprisingly yesterday, he didnt poo in the cage, just pee only. So i praise him like crazy lah....hoping today when i go back, i don have to pick more black gold from the cage. Crazy

Wahh u mop everyday ahh....i only mop once a week. If he pees on the floor, just wipe with kitchen towels and squirt some dettol on the spot only lah and wipe. Kuasa lah mop everyday!! wahhh my back also give to them already everyday mop. Crazy If room smells of pee pee or poo poo there's always Ambi Pur to help out or febreze. I have like 2 of those auto timer spray thing placed in the room and living room where the 2 fellas spend most of their time. So that helps eliminate the odor a little for those who are sensitive to it. If pee and poo very extremely smelly, there's a solution u can try, it's called OxyFresh, just add a capful of the solution to a bowl of their drinking water. That will help neutralises the smell of their urine. My dogs pee on the same spot everyday and my neighbors never complain. They even ask me,eh how come my dog's pee no smell one even though pee on the same spot everyday, it's the wonder solution lah...cant be food mah cos Rascal is on EVO, that should give smelly pee and poo mann cos high protein.

Aiya whoever that comes to my house or want to come to my house, me or my housemates always warn them first, I got 2 dogs at home and one of them pees everywhere when he is excited. They are the kings of the house and we're their maids. So they run free in the house when one of us is home. So if they still want to come, they better prepare themselves lah. Dont step into my house already and start complaining Smelly lah, Dirty lah, Fur everywhere lah, bla bla bla, i'll give them a piece of my mind then. I've already warn them. If you're sensitive to dog's fur or if dog's fur can give u an asthma attack and cause u death, then dont step anywhere close to 10feet into my house compound. If you're utterly terrified of dogs, better still, you're not welcome in. You can stand at the gate and wait for one of us. As long as i'm home or any of my housemates are home, we're not gonna cage our dogs just because ONE guests is terrified of them jumping on her/him.

As for the pee when excited, just ignore them lor. DOn get them excited then u'll reduce the chances of getting pee all over. But bear with it lah. It's a phase all puppies will go thru. I'm sure we as toddlers also pee everywhere when excited if we didnt wear diapers right?

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

rayter
Dog Kichi

Dec 23, 2007, 9:20 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2245 views)
Shortcut

I suggest you read this article on crate training:

www.dogcrates-4less.com/crate-training-guidelines.html

Good luck.

Frown
"A dog is a heart beat, at my feet."
Pet Articles | Bark Collars | Bark Control Collar
Training Collar | Pet Supplies | Dog Supply

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my