Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
8 weeks puppy to travel from KL to JB

wynce_ng
Novice

Jun 1, 2007, 9:52 PM

Post #1 of 24 (5016 views)
Shortcut
8 weeks puppy to travel from KL to JB Can't Post

Please help me with this. I would like to bring bck a toy poodle puppy from kl to jb. Is that ok for the puppy to travel in car for 4 hours journey? I do plan to stop over for some rest...

kindly share ur experience n advice to me~

Thanks for all the guidance n help!

Milosevic
Novice

Jun 2, 2007, 9:29 AM

Post #2 of 24 (4999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wynce_ng] 8 weeks puppy to travel from KL to JB [In reply to] Can't Post

It is absolutely good idea to travel with your pup in a car and make few stops! ..because it could help your pup to be familiar with the movement of the car (most pups do not like vibration and sound).

I suggest you let your pup in the car a few times and break it into a few session before traveling- without the car doing anywhere. Wait till your pup settle down inside and give treats. Dont give treats before your pup settle. Put it on the floor and provide your pup with toy/bed too.

A crate is a good idea for this. Next, just try driving to the end of the street and come back. Gradually increase the distance length and hopefully your pup will fall into sleep eventually!
woof woof

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 2, 2007, 10:48 AM

Post #3 of 24 (4995 views)
Shortcut

The pup only 8 weeks old. Definity is OK bringing the pup from KL back to JB.

Make sure the pup didn't eat about 3-4hour before the trip. Your puppy definity will vomit during the journey, you can't avoid this. So, do bring a couple of old cloth inside the car. While traveling with the pup place him/her inside a box for you to hold on it.

You will expect the pup going to vomit about 2 to 3 times during the journey from KL to JB non-stop.

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jun 4, 2007, 7:34 PM

Post #4 of 24 (4968 views)
Shortcut

car sickness varies from pups to pups, do as milosevic suggested, start bringin ur pup in car at a stagnant location. gradually increase time & distance for pup in the car. with all preps hopefully, ur pup wont be a vommiter... Laugh zeus has nvr vomitted in car before. he can tolerate journey from pg~kl only with one stop.

btw...nvr leave ur pup in car if ur car is not started. if ur leavin him in the car with the engine runnin, remember to wind down all windows at least 2~3 inches. nvr park ur car under the hot sun with ur pup in it. always hold ur pup steadily before openin door as pup may rush out towards the road.

well i think that's abt all that i can think of for now...will give u more tips when i can think of em, good luck

ezekiel 25:17

loolick

Jun 5, 2007, 6:56 PM

Post #5 of 24 (4955 views)
Shortcut

yeap, as other said, bring yr pup for a few runs ard your area in the car to famliar your pup travel in the car. i remember the 1st time i have my pup in the car, after 40mins, he vomit. 2nd time also, 40mins vomit. then slowly i drive him ard for 10-15 mins. gradually increase the time, then now he is totally fine. but havent really try for long distance yet. the longest is ard 1 hour.

"btw...nvr leave ur pup in car if ur car is not started. if ur leavin him in the car with the engine runnin, remember to wind down all windows at least 2~3 inches. nvr park ur car under the hot sun with ur pup in it. always hold ur pup steadily before openin door as pup may rush out towards the road. "<=totally agree!!!

wynce_ng
Novice

Jun 5, 2007, 11:15 PM

Post #6 of 24 (4944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [loolick] 8 weeks puppy to travel from KL to JB [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for all of the advice~ I m so excited n looking fwd to bring my puppy home tis coming saturday~

Let's pray for my puppy ~

I have not got a crate for him now....only hv a plastic box to carry him in the car...with a towel n some toy..of cos with drinking bottle....

i also just bought a toy ball, collar, leash for him as well!!

umm..watelse do i need to prepare in order to pick him home with us?

I have also purchased a bag of puppy food name 'blackwood' small bite..is tat ok for toy poodle? any comments on tis food?

loolick

Jun 6, 2007, 12:39 AM

Post #7 of 24 (4936 views)
Shortcut

u r most welcome!

if your furkid is not used to the car, they will be quite scare n sits there all journey n migh vomit half way through the journey. so dun really worry abt the toys. leash him when u stop over for pee/poo.

food wise, it depends on what u normally fee him. as mentioned by chrisong, try not to feed him few hours before the trip.

Happy Journey!!!

wynce_ng
Novice

Jun 6, 2007, 1:36 AM

Post #8 of 24 (4932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [loolick] 8 weeks puppy to travel from KL to JB [In reply to] Can't Post

hehe...hopefuly my puppy wont vomite in the car~ i heard ppl saying tat some small puppy kenot tahan long journey n eventually wil die in car..so i m kinda worry~

must pray hard for my furkid!!

goofydip
Veteran

Jun 6, 2007, 3:26 AM

Post #9 of 24 (4925 views)
Shortcut

oh...u must be very excited bout ur pup's arrival to ur life!! this is the most exciting moment...

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 6, 2007, 4:41 AM

Post #10 of 24 (4923 views)
Shortcut

No worry. Most puppy will sleep thru out the journey.

Reach the breeder place earlier. Let the pup play and tired the pup out. At the sametime you can chat with your breeder about how to take care the pup & etcs. Make sure no food before the journey.

Bring extra cloths as I mention earlier. You will need it.

I think that it.

I am sure you can't wait to bring her backCool

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jun 9, 2007, 2:02 AM

Post #11 of 24 (4888 views)
Shortcut

hi,

as other have said, bring ur pup for a few short car rides before the actual travelling day. this will reduce the chances of car sickness.

besides that, arrange your travelling schedule properly i.e preferably to start travel early morning or evening when the weather is cooler. this will help to reduce car sickness as well.

oh, btw, are u travelling alone with your pup or there's someone there to look after the pup as well? better put your pup in a crate or safe box.

as for blackwood for toy poodle...i think it's good. i used to feed my poodles with blackwood as well.

all the best and enjoy your journey!

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

wynce_ng
Novice

Jun 11, 2007, 4:32 PM

Post #12 of 24 (4850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] 8 weeks puppy to travel from KL to JB [In reply to] Can't Post

my puppy is back home with me..in car vry obidient n guai..will sit still and sleep only... when go home..is vry active..

but i think he is sick... :( he vomite tis morning!! n also yesterday morning..... not alot...he always vomite after he poo n pee in da morning b4 eat...

i m vry worry..wat happen to him...somebody pls help!! i plan to send him to vet later

YanYan
Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2007, 5:05 PM

Post #13 of 24 (4847 views)
Shortcut

Frownwynce_ng

Congrats to you that you had your puppy safely back homeSmile Hmm..did he eat anything unusual in there few days? The best solution is to check him to the vet as soon as possible.

(This post was edited by YanYan on Jun 11, 2007, 5:08 PM)

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Jun 11, 2007, 5:44 PM

Post #14 of 24 (4838 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
my puppy is back home with me..in car vry obidient n guai..will sit still and sleep only... when go home..is vry active..

but i think he is sick... :( he vomite tis morning!! n also yesterday morning..... not alot...he always vomite after he poo n pee in da morning b4 eat...

i m vry worry..wat happen to him...somebody pls help!! i plan to send him to vet later

Hmmm, 'yellow' mess means something he is eating is not being digested well. You need to try to do a test on your dog and figure out what food/brand your dog is allergic to.

Do you give him dry food for his meal? Puppy also cannot eat very hard or chalky dog food. Give him a mix of semi-soft solid food. Or add water to his dry food. What kind of treat you feeding him?

If may also be heat related as well. Some dogs have problems digesting in very hot tempreture. Protect your puppy from playing too long in the sun, instead keep him in the room temperature or shade in the day time.

Finally, it could be nerves. If you leave your dog alone at some point at night, it could just be that the act of waking up reminds you that you are leaving him too long or he is nervous about you leaving and does not want you to go to work etc.

But in my opinion I think it is about his food.

Good luck.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Jun 11, 2007, 5:52 PM)

wynce_ng
Novice

Jun 11, 2007, 6:08 PM

Post #15 of 24 (4832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] 8 weeks puppy to travel from KL to JB [In reply to] Can't Post

I feed him on blackwood puppy small bite..he eats stil ok...i add some water for the kibbles b4 giving.....bt yesterday dinner time he eat it dry....i hvnt add in water he already start eating..

i also feed him on nutro puppy biscuit...i leave him at home alone when day time n nite time in cage sleeping alone...i worry he b alone lo...

ltr i wil go consult vet during my lunch...so worry...

sob sob...

wynce_ng
Novice

Jun 11, 2007, 10:58 PM

Post #16 of 24 (4825 views)
Shortcut

i jst got bck from vet....check temperature n ear .....he said all is fine...nothing show abnormal....n he nvr lausai..so meaning the food stil ok....morning vomite mayb due to emthy stomach for too long..so mayb midnite need to feed him abit

still need to monitor for 2 more weeks to see his progress..but he now stil eat n poo n pee n ply as normal...

YanYan
Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2007, 1:47 AM

Post #17 of 24 (4816 views)
Shortcut

Glad to hear that everything is fineSmile By the way,how many times you feed him each day? Dogs will vomit due to empty stomach for too long. Do keep us update about him yaFrown

wynce_ng
Novice

Jun 12, 2007, 6:14 PM

Post #18 of 24 (4796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [YanYan] 8 weeks puppy to travel from KL to JB [In reply to] Can't Post

I feed him once in the morning b4 going to work...7.45am...then once in the afternoon around 12+pm..n once when we got bck..around 6+ pm

but after vomite he dun realy eat the food given..yesterday nite i put some for him to eat during nite time..bt he only eat abit..

his poo quite sticky n smelly...i duno whether it is normal onot..bt the smell realy strong even though he was feed on blackwood..

every morning let out from cage sure he pee n poo....bt he duno the place yet..always poo at wrong place..

today morning b4 going to work..i see he nvr vomite..hopefuly later go bck n check he wil b stil fine.

he wil keep make noise when in cage at midnite..hw to overcome tis?

wynce_ng
Novice

Jun 12, 2007, 9:31 PM

Post #19 of 24 (4791 views)
Shortcut

jst now went bck n check on him, he never eat in the morning... is tat the food he dun like? or wat cause he lost appetite?

kinda worry if he continue not eating....

YanYan
Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007, 3:27 PM

Post #20 of 24 (4783 views)
Shortcut

You can start training him to pee and poo at home whenever you free. Usually where you put the cage? Try to put it in your room if you don't mind,mayhe he is afraid to be alone at night since he is new to your house surroundings. Hmm..last time before you brought him back do you know what kind of dog food he consumed? Maybe suddenly changing of kibbles upset his stomach. Try to monitor him closely in these few days lor. Hopefully he will recover quicklySmile

wynce_ng
Novice

Jun 13, 2007, 4:20 PM

Post #21 of 24 (4780 views)
Shortcut

my momo yesterday afternoon finaly finish the kibbles tat i gave..then...nite time feed him quite alot also finish all..but midnite he poo in the cage..i think kenot control..

one problem is tat, he dun realy like to drink water..i put in bottle..also stay untouch...put in bowl..he try to ply..n all the legs wet n the newspaper also go wet. How can i overcome tis problem?

Pirate

YanYan
Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007, 7:35 PM

Post #22 of 24 (4771 views)
Shortcut

Since you are feeding him 3 times per day,try to be consistent in each amount of food you feed him. Not too much nor too little. Mostly puppies cannot control his/her pee and poo at a longer time. So there will be frequent "accidents" around. If you get to caught your momo on act playing with his water bowl,say NO firmly. This kind of habits have to be train slowly. He assumed that the drinking bowl is his toys. Did he have any toys to play on?Since the day he came into your house he started doesn't like to drink water or just happened recently after his vomit incident?

(This post was edited by YanYan on Jun 13, 2007, 7:36 PM)

wynce_ng
Novice

Jun 18, 2007, 7:31 PM

Post #23 of 24 (4685 views)
Shortcut

he is ok right now..hope he will be good in the future..after 1 weeks of training for pee n poo..finaly now he can do it at almost the right place for poo.

as for pee wise..he jst like to pee everywhr..selfom at the newpaper area..

I will give more time n patient to train him! wish me good luck guys!

YanYan
Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2007, 11:21 PM

Post #24 of 24 (4659 views)
Shortcut

Glad to hear that he is fineSmile Happy pup-parentingFrown
Good luckFrown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my