Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Fleas & Ticks Problem

wekkie
New User

May 26, 2007, 10:59 PM

Post #1 of 12 (2931 views)
Shortcut
Fleas & Ticks Problem Can't Post

Hello, my dog (mongrel type) seems to be breeding ticks!! I always clean him once a week but in the one week period he can go from zero ticks on his body to full of them! The worse part is the ticks are now coming into the house!!MadMadMadMad

I've tried a dog spray but it doesnt seem to work. Only way is to physically kill them which takes quite alot of time. Any advice?

chrisong
Doggyman

May 27, 2007, 12:44 AM

Post #2 of 12 (2922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wekkie] Fleas & Ticks Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Frontline spray will solve your problem. But you also need to keep your dog sleeping area clean all the time and don;t let your mongrel mix with dog infected with ticks & flea.

If you keep your dog clean & dry all the time. I don't think ticks & fleas will come back.

supermutts
K9 Senior

May 27, 2007, 9:52 AM

Post #3 of 12 (2916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wekkie] Fleas & Ticks Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

frontline is effective and safer to use than other tick spray, others the poison is kinda same class as the ridsect baygon etc.

i advice u to get frontline 'spot on' instead of the spray, unless there is really a lot of ticks on the dog.
i wouldn't want my dog to lick frontline, altho they say its ok.

its a bit pricey tho, but worth it.

http://frontline.us.merial.com/home/index.asp

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 1, 2007, 3:04 AM

Post #4 of 12 (2870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] Fleas & Ticks Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree. Frontline Spot on is the best. It has kept my dogs tick free for 2 years now even though my dog actually goes into fields alot.

Jac&Ning
Novice

Jun 5, 2007, 1:05 AM

Post #5 of 12 (2835 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janthk] Fleas & Ticks Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi All,

I just got my Yorkies 3 days ago. I found out they have ticks, is it suitable to use frontline on them as they are only 8 weeks. It is safe to lick? becos i have 2 of them, i afraid that they will lick each other.....pls advise as i feel very pity to see them scratching...they r so tiny and gentle.

supermutts
K9 Senior

Jun 5, 2007, 1:32 AM

Post #6 of 12 (2833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jac&Ning] Fleas & Ticks Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

if u can see it, catch it.... Sly

initially i wana say use alcohol to dap n' use tweezer to pull,
tht's wht i do , after reading it somewhere, but the alcohol
doesn't really make the tick release the grip, so can do without it.

but i've found this interesting method on the net, have a look n' try it, i really want to,
but there's no more ticks on my mutts.....Mad

http://www.instructables.com/id/ELEIMN3JLBEXCFJ631/

Don't Lost your dogs!!

(This post was edited by supermutts on Jun 5, 2007, 1:56 AM)

Jac&Ning
Novice

Jun 5, 2007, 5:16 PM

Post #7 of 12 (2818 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Supermutts for your respond.

I tried to pull but as you know yorkies r so small and very hairy therefore it is very difficult to check the whole body. And the puppies won't allow me too, when i manage to pull one then they will try to avoid me.

I am looking for anything that is ok to apply on them like frontline but i think they r too small and young to take frontline rite?

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 5, 2007, 5:46 PM

Post #8 of 12 (2814 views)
Shortcut

Hi there!

Really pity your puppies. Here are the instruction and precautions outlined if you are interested to use Frontline. This is taken from the Frontline webpage. Hopefully it will answer any questions which you may have. Before you treat

Before you use FRONTLINE® Spot On, there are a few things you need to know. You should check the suitability of the product for your pet by asking yourself the questions contained in our simple Step-by-Step Guide. Click on the ‘Step-by-Step Guide’ sub-section in the left hand menu and you’ll be able to download a copy.

Also, before treating your cat or dog, please make sure that you're familiar with the following points about using FRONTLINE® Spot On:
  • FRONTLINE® Spot On is for the treatment of cats and dogs only and for external use only
  • Veterinary advice should be sought prior to using FRONTLINE® Spot On if there is any sign of skin irritation or if the pet is unwell
  • FRONTLINE® Spot On is safe to use in breeding, pregnant and lactating bitches and queens
  • Do not use on sick or convalescent animals
  • Do not use on kittens weighing less than 1kg or puppies weighing less than 2kg
  • Minimum treatment interval 4 weeks
  • Do not use on puppies or kittens less than 8 weeks of age
  • Do not overdose
  • Pets with a known hypersensitivity to insecticides or alcohol should also avoid contact with FRONTLINE® Spot On
  • Avoid contact with the animal’s eyes
  • The product should not be used on rabbits as adverse reactions and even death could occur.
  • It is important to apply the dose to an area where the animal cannot lick it off. If licking occurs, a brief period of hypersalivation may occur, due mainly to the nature of the carrier.

Precautions when applying FRONTLINE® Spot On
  • FRONTLINE® Spot On can cause mucous membrane and eye irritation, so avoid any contact with the mouth or eyes. After accidental contact with eyes, rinse carefully with plain water
  • Do not smoke, eat or drink during application
  • Keep out of reach of children
  • Do not handle treated pets until the application site is dry
  • Avoid the contents of the pipette coming into contact with the fingers, and wash hands with soap and water after use
  • Owners with a known hypersensitivity to insecticides or alcohol should also avoid contact with FRONTLINE® Spot On
  • Fipronil may adversely affect aquatic organisms
  • Do not contaminate ponds, waterways and ditches with the product or empty containers
  • Dispose of empty packaging and any remaining product in the household refuse
  • Store in original packaging in a dry place. Do not store above 30º C
  • The alcohol carrier may have adverse effects on painted, varnished or other household surfaces or furnishings

Jac&Ning
Novice

Jun 5, 2007, 6:27 PM

Post #9 of 12 (2810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janthk] Fleas & Ticks Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Janthk,

That's why i think Jac & Ning r definitely can't use Frontline Spot on as they r sure under 2 kg in weight...i think i just have to check their body and pull the ticks...pity them but don't know whatelse i can do.

supermutts
K9 Senior

Jun 5, 2007, 7:07 PM

Post #10 of 12 (2808 views)
Shortcut

try the rubbing in circles method and let us know if it works??. Sly

i know the pups are still young and won't stay put for u to inspect,
the ticks will like to hide at the paws between the 'toes'
and most pups won't let u inspect the paws, u'll need help to hold them
while u inspect and pull the ticks out.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 6, 2007, 12:28 AM

Post #11 of 12 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Yeah I think you will have to use the manual method for the time being. After that as soon as you can, then start them on Frontline. In the meantime, you can use bayticol and spray their sleeping area and main area of your house where they go to. This will help ensure that their environment is tick free.

Good luck.

Jac&Ning
Novice

Jun 6, 2007, 11:03 PM

Post #12 of 12 (2787 views)
Shortcut

I think the rubbing ticks in circle method is very difficult to apply on hairy puppy like yorkies as they r small and very hairy, they won't stay still so i found very difficult to expose the ticks totally. I just have to use my nail to scratch scratch the ticks and fall off. The puppies r ok when i scratch the small ticks.

and yeah, i have to spay bayticol on their sleeping place. Thank you guys for the advices.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my