Home: Mixed Breed: Mixed Breed and Mongrels:
Hybrid Breeding Program

zhung

May 22, 2007, 1:43 AM

Post #1 of 24 (5489 views)
Shortcut
Hybrid Breeding Program Can't Post

Hi,

I'm just feel curious is there any breeder out there who like to hybrid the breed or what we call mix or cross breed of the dog. Just a lil of my oppinion, there's alot of health condition in a pedigree dogs but there's some health breed pedigree dog too. If we mix it around, is this will cover some of the sickness of the pedigree dogs?

an example: Toy Poodle is a non sheddy dog & Pekingese an average shedder. If we mix both breed that create a cute lil tiny dog that have Pekingese facial with non-sheddy hair plus some curly curly, it looks so cute but I prefer Yorkie-Poo (Yorkie + Toy Poodle).

Please give some comment on you idea of mix breed, it is a designer breed.

goofydip
Veteran

May 22, 2007, 6:52 PM

Post #2 of 24 (5480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zhung] Hybrid Breeding Program [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow..Seems interesting..You are right..mixing like that might overcome those problems..Good idea huh

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

supermutts
K9 Senior

May 23, 2007, 5:52 PM

Post #3 of 24 (5465 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

an example: Toy Poodle is a non sheddy dog & Pekingese an average shedder. If we mix both breed that create a cute lil tiny dog that have Pekingese facial with non-sheddy hair plus some curly curly, it looks so cute but I prefer Yorkie-Poo (Yorkie + Toy Poodle).

whoa......

i don't think its as easy as just cross breed and u'll get the results u want....

read this....

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/designerdogs.htm

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

janthk
Canine Addict

May 23, 2007, 9:38 PM

Post #4 of 24 (5454 views)
Shortcut

You know what?? That is actually a fantastic idea. I have been considering and thinking alot about breeding my dog lately. I am interested in creating a new breed. My dog Scruffy is a Cockzer (Cocker Spaniel + Schnauzer) Scruffy is a male and I would like to find a female Cocker in order to breed with Scruffy. My search has been fruitless thus far however, I am not giving up hope yet.

So if anyone of you know of a female cockzer, please do let me know. PM me or email me at janthk .

zhung

May 24, 2007, 2:40 AM

Post #5 of 24 (5447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] Hybrid Breeding Program [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi supermutts,

I know it's not an easy thing to cross the breed & the website you had provided to me I had been go through before I post this topic. That's the reason I post to get some idea & for those who experienced might share or we can discuss under this post.

I'm not a breeder but just owned 1 doggie. There's lot of pedigree dogs or people keep on discussed about purebreed, but why can't we discuss about mix breed & the beautiful of mix breed. Although this is under Mixed Breed and Mongrels threats.

There's a few progress to mix the breed until meet your requirement.

F1 (pure breed + pure breed)

F1-B (mix breed + pure breed) either 1 side.

F2 (mix breed + mix breed)

F3 (mix breed + mix breed) so on. It depends how many generation you mix.

zhung

May 24, 2007, 2:51 AM

Post #6 of 24 (5446 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janthk] Hybrid Breeding Program [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello janthk,

Scuffy are very cute. Btw it is hard to get someone that have F1 (c.spaniel + Shnauzer) but if you really keen to try, why not just try F1-B find either a c.spaniel or shnauzer female to mate them but I don't think there's someone willing to mate with a mix breed because everyone just prefer to have a pure breed.

Actually now alots of people starting to accept mix breed & I saw some of the pet shop sell mix breed too with a good price, still have buyer. An example mix breed Shih tzu + Pekingese. The price is cheaper than a purebreed pekingese but the price is higher than shih tzu.

Min pin + Chihuahua is also very common these days. Spitz is the breed that mix all around. Seldom see purebreed spitz in the market but just pomeranian only. Spitz purebreed is so rare in Malaysia these days.

supermutts
K9 Senior

May 24, 2007, 6:29 AM

Post #7 of 24 (5439 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

There's lot of pedigree dogs or people keep on discussed about purebreed, but why can't we discuss about mix breed & the beautiful of mix breed. Although this is under Mixed Breed and Mongrels threats.

great tht u have done research Frown

but i hope u don't go ahead n' breed dogs, just adopt from the shelter. Frown

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

janthk
Canine Addict

May 29, 2007, 2:58 AM

Post #8 of 24 (5420 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the compliment on Scruffy's look. Smile I think he is just living up to his nameWink Yeah I know. Dont think I can breed Scruffy anytime soon because i am still living in a condo. Have to wait till I get my house first. Smile

zhung

May 29, 2007, 6:53 AM

Post #9 of 24 (5409 views)
Shortcut

Hi janthk

Hey is it on Sunday you do brought scuffy to the Dog Olympic 2007? I saw Molly too wearing pink napkin right?

janthk
Canine Addict

May 29, 2007, 6:12 PM

Post #10 of 24 (5399 views)
Shortcut

Hello! Yes Scruffy and I was at the Dog Olympic Day. He won Champion in the Dog Olympic Day and we brought home a big trophy SmileSmile So proud of him. I have another dog and her name is Ginger. She is a dalmation mix. I brought her too. My friend was helping me handle her while I handled Scruffy who is very close to me and he cant be away from me or else he would bark his head off. We you there too? I didnt see you. Hope you had fun. Wink

zhung

May 30, 2007, 12:43 AM

Post #11 of 24 (5396 views)
Shortcut

Hi janthk,

Yes I was there that day, scuffy do a great job, hey the dalmation mix is it with a black patch on left eye you mentioned is it ur dog?

I saw Amanda's dog too, obviously can recognize both of ur dog easily hehehe.

janthk
Canine Addict

May 30, 2007, 2:42 AM

Post #12 of 24 (5391 views)
Shortcut

Hahahah!! Yeah Amanda and I are both the black dog gangWink Pacco was there too and I am sure you wont miss her. She is the only slim black doggy who can jump forever and ever. WinkWink

Yeah Ginger is the dalmation mix with the black patch over her left eye. She was wearing a pink scarf on that day. I have just adopted her 2 months back so didnt have chance to really train her yet. At the moment, Scruffy is the one doing all the work to earn a living. Hhehe!!TongueTongue Soon when I have time to train Ginger, hopefully she can earn her own living too Tongue

What does your dog look like? Cant recognise you cause you dont have avartar with your doggy pic.

zhung

May 30, 2007, 6:33 PM

Post #13 of 24 (5386 views)
Shortcut

Ohh yeah I saw Pacco he jump very well. Hey how many times this kind of event conduct each year? January they have 1 time. Mid of the year like last Sunday they have another it means 2 times. Is it this coming end of the year maybe on October will conduct another event? Sorry for so many question because I'm new here, just started rear dog since last year October.

Ohhh that new doggie named Ginger is another of your dog. I thought he is Molly because both of them have the same black patch on the eye but dunno left or right side. Hey Since you scuffy win the prize, do you feed scuffy with that treats & kibble? because I heard alots of bad things about Purina, I don't dare to try this brand because my doggie is sensitive & allergic. She just recover from her skin problem recently because I heard someone in the forum said feed boiled eggs can improve the skin & coat. The vet told me she totally cannot take chicken or beef & she is allergic to higher protein. I had tried few kibble brand like Euka, Nutro & etc it's won't help to recover until the vet recommended me eagle pack Holistic lamb. From there I see the improvement.

Hey btw, u r staying in a condo, r u serious that u rear 2 doggie? I'm planning to get another doggie but need to budget also because my doggie already eat alots somemore a picky eater. I feed her kibble eagle pack holistic lamb + canned foods addiction possum & vege + some yogurt. It taste great but my wallet very painful.

My doggie now suspose to be 10 months, she is just a pet quality french bulldog. That's the reason bulldog cannot simply eat something that bring allergic easily. That day I didn't bring my frenchie there because afraid the hot weather easily to get heat stroke but I saw a guy brought a very nice frenchie there, I still remember the doggie named LEO it's consider a show quality french bulldog with big head, big bone & short body. Somemore it's look stocky build so cute, I really fancy about that look but too bad been neutered cannot breed.

janthk
Canine Addict

May 30, 2007, 8:26 PM

Post #14 of 24 (5384 views)
Shortcut

Oh didnt know you were new here. puppy.com has this kind of events 3 times a year. The other one in gonna be in September if I am not mistaken. And then nearer to the end of the year, there will be a trip to A Farmosa. But I heard this year they are planning a different location. It might be in Cherating. So you will get to go for a holiday with your dog. It is normally a 2 days 1 night thingy over the weekend. Look out at the events part of the forum it will normally be announced there. On 12 August, there is also a doggy event coming up. This one is organised by UPM Vetenary students and it will be held at the UPM grounds. Do attend this one. It is really fun.

To tell you the truth, I got really lucky with both my doggies. Since they are both designer dogs (mixed) they have quite good imune system and are not prone to the diseases which prominent in pure breeds. So they can eat anything and not have skin problems or anything. When I first got Ginger, she was not as healthy though. Was having flue and diahorea. However, after a few visits to the vet, she is better now. Still has a little running nose now and then but not bad ones. She is a dalmation mix after all and dalmations are generally a little bit like princesses and needs lots of attention.

So the Hooligan really is Scruffy. He is built like a tank. Sometimes he runs into the furniture and I can hear a loud bang but he does not even whimper like not pain at all. Ask anybody who knows him and they will tell you Scruffy the Mafia. hahah!! Cause he is like that. He acts like he owns the whole place and has a mind of his own. At first, I find it really hard to train him OB. But thanks to the instructor who was really patient with him, he is now quite good at it. But only if he is in the mood. I still cant trust him 100% off leash. From the day I bought Scruffy until now (2 years now) I bought dog food for him only once. He kind of earns his own food at doggy events when he wins. Like the last win, it will probably be enough to last him for the rest of this year. Wink But I still spend alot on him buying him treats, and sometimes can food as treat for him and to encourage him to want to keep training. The treats I use as rewards for training. So far I dont see anything wrong with Purina. Scruffy has been on Purina for 2 years now. The salmon one is really good and Scruffy loves it too.

Yeah as far as budget is concern, it can be really expensive. I spend about RM250 on Scruffy in a month. Spend on things like treats, Front Line, Heart Guard, Chew bone, Toys, Grooming etc.. Now with Ginger will probably go up to about RM300 a month I think. Will make her share some of Scruffy's things.

I really do live in a condo with the 2 dogs. They are really good. They dont bark or make alot of noise. So it is possible for me to keep them plus the condo has lotsa Chinese so they are not bothered witht he dogs. I have seen some Shit Tsu, A Husky and a Silky in the condo. There are lotsa people in the condo with dogs. However, now I am looking around for houses. I need the space for training. I cant train agility in the small space of the condo. So still searching for the right house to buy.

If you are planning to get another dog, do try to adopt from SPCA or PAWS. I was at PAWS about 2 months ago and saw lotsa doggies there. Even pure breeds. Felt very sad. Just wish I can adopt them all. So good luck in your quest to find your 2nd dog. They really do bring joy and cheer. Smile

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 30, 2007, 9:06 PM

Post #15 of 24 (5382 views)
Shortcut

is surprised tat wit so many food being earn each time, u still spend so much on him...

recently....pacco's expenditure is RM0 per month....Cool

n can u show me a pic of ur trophy.....so damn nice...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

janthk
Canine Addict

May 31, 2007, 3:40 AM

Post #16 of 24 (5374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Hybrid Breeding Program [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah lah. Scruffy is actually a spoilt brat you know. I buy all kinds of treats for him all the time cause scared he gets bored if he has the same stuff all the time. Then I am really lazy. I dont like to bathe them. So every weekend I send them to the groomers. Not to get their hair cut or anything but just for bathing. Hehehe!!TongueTongue Oh and his toys!! You should see. The whole house is full of toys. And now with Ginger, she is a real destroyer. She loves to chew on the toys and break it. So many of Scruffy's soft toys got torn apart. All the intestines of the soft toys come flying out already. She even chew on the wire of my lap top charger the other day until the wire putus. Sigh! Cost me another RM300 there to get new charger. But I really cant blame them. They spend like 10 hours on their own. Considering the time they spend on their own, they have been really good already. That's why I am very happy to have found Ginger. She and Scruffy get along so well. At least they can keep each other company.

I make it up during the weekends to them. I refuse to go anywhere without them during the weekends until now my friends also fed up and dont wanna ask me out anymore. Hehehe!! My weekends are spent training them and bringing them out for run and playing with them lah.

Eh by the way, are we going jungle trackking this Saturday? It is a public holiday so I can go loh. heheh!!

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jun 1, 2007, 5:32 PM

Post #17 of 24 (5347 views)
Shortcut

sure....hope 2 c ur ginger on trek debut...Wink

pacco oso spend most of d time on her own when i'm @ sch...but 2 prevent accident n unfortunate events frm happening, i juz lock her up...

n she dun like expensive toys...she usually plays wit stones that she found in d garden....cheap dog likes cheap toys...Laugh

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 2, 2007, 1:47 AM

Post #18 of 24 (5339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Hybrid Breeding Program [In reply to] Can't Post

hey I didnt pay anything for Ginger and only very minimum for Scruffy too. Scruffy has earned back I think like a hundred times the money which I dished out to pay for him. Hehe!!

I dont believe it is how much money you paid for your dog that matters. I think it is more a case of how much time are we willing to spend with them to train them that matters.Tongue

zhung

Jun 2, 2007, 4:59 AM

Post #19 of 24 (5335 views)
Shortcut

janthk,

Yeah u r really correct mix breed hav better immune system compare to pedigree pure breed doggie. That's why I come out this topic discussed regarding mix breed. It's proud to have a doggie that can earn for their living because it's really help save alots. I had a very sensitive doggie that burst up my wallet but I still sayang her alots coz my first doggie mah.

Since Ginger is a female & Scuffy is a male, do you think of breeding them in the future? or if not how you prevent they mate? I handle 1 doggie already feel tired, you want to handle 2 doggie hahaha it's not easy. Actually I'm planning to get 2nd doggie but I pull back first because I still don't know how to handle much with doggie. Planning to spayed my female girl, but don't know what to concern & I feel dillemma don't know really one or not because I afraid regreat. Wah spending RM 250 - RM 300 per month is very costly, my frenchie eat alots a month average also cost me around RM 200 only, 15kg kibble 4 months finished Pirate she is just only a small breed 10 months old. Actually she been spoilt by me. What to do sayang her so much.

SPCA & PAWS they have lots of adult & medium to large breed of puppy, I just prefer small breed miniature size doggie. I'm also pity them but what to do we are human have limit.

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 2, 2007, 11:08 AM

Post #20 of 24 (5328 views)
Shortcut

RM250-RM300 for a dog are really expensive.

For me, 4 Silkies only cost me average RM200 a month (include dog food, heartworm, deworm, injection & treats).

MayHMF
Dog Kichi

Jun 3, 2007, 4:58 AM

Post #21 of 24 (5317 views)
Shortcut

Hi Janthk

Do you remember your Scruffy's twin , my dog Scruffy? Remember we were supposed to take part in the look alike contest but tak jadi? I wonder if they still look alike! My Scruffy's less "scruffy" now because I trimmed his fur . Congrats to you on your dog's achievements. Wish I have your kind of patience to train your dogs. Hope to meet you and Scruffy again sometime soon.

Bye,

May

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 4, 2007, 11:36 PM

Post #22 of 24 (5308 views)
Shortcut

Hi there!

I dont plan to breed Scruffy and Ginger. I think the puppy will look really weird. Scruffy has long coat while Ginger has short coat like a dalmation's. Hmmm... Besides with the 2 I am already really really occupied. Therefore I am having Ginger spayed so no puppies.

Yeah I agree. It is really costly when we sayang the doggies so much and would buy anything for them. Have you seen those Japanese treats which they have in the pet-shops? Those are a real killer. About RM20 over for a small packet which last Scruffy 2 days only. Phew! Pocket really sakit loh.

Anyways, good luck in choosing your 2nd dog. Smile

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 4, 2007, 11:58 PM

Post #23 of 24 (5305 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MayHMF] Hybrid Breeding Program [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi May,

Great to hear from you. Smile

Of course I remember that contest. Wonder how we would have fared if we had really taken part.

My Scruffy is still as Scruffy as ever. Hehe!! Even after grooming, he still looks scruffy. Guess it is his trade mark and will not go away. Sometimes I spend hours combing his fur and all he needs to do is give it a good shake and walah! 1 Scruffy looking dog coming up! Wink

I love training Scruffy and Ginger. The satisfaction comes when you see the result. You should try training your Scruffy. Training is something which grows on you. The more you train the more result you will see and the more you will be motivated to train. You just need to get started that's all. You will also notice later on that you will be able to communicate with your dog better after you have spend some time to train them. It is like they can read your mind or something. Most of the time they know what you want. You can also train them to do house chores. I am trying to train Scruffy to clear up his own toys. Heheh!! Key word here is trying. Wink But seriously you can really communicate with them better. Have a go at it lah. Dont have to spend alot of time training. Try 3 sessions of 15 minutes a day.

Have a go at it. It's really fun

zhung

Jun 7, 2007, 1:32 AM

Post #24 of 24 (5286 views)
Shortcut

Ohhh you are planning to spay Ginger, then she won't get unwanted babies. Btw I heard that you train scuffy & ginger alots, do you bring them to Dog Obidience Training class?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my