Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Caring for a puppy in an apartment environment?

cherwith
Novice

May 17, 2007, 12:35 AM

Post #1 of 21 (4823 views)
Shortcut
Caring for a puppy in an apartment environment? Can't Post

I'm currently living in an apartment. I volunteered for SPCA at one point and at time decided to get a dog but due to the fact t hat I share an apartment with two other house mates who do not fancy dogs its impossible. So when I was looking for property I decided to get a landed property but since Penang property is so expensive in the end I opted for another apartment. I will be moving in to my own place by the end of next year. I know its still early but I want to plan earlier before I bring the puppy to my place.As I will be living alone, i for see no problem internally, I worry about the apt regulations as it is a new apartment and there are no rules set at the moment but it is the laws that apartments do not allow pets. So anyway how do I go around the laws and keep a pet. I will probably get a mix breed. How do I care for them? Books?Websites that can help. How do I learn how to train my puppy? I have previously had 3 dogs back in my hometown and raised them from puppies but in a landed area. Would like to know where I can take my pup for walks or exercise in Penang. I will be living near Greenlane/Farlim Area. Please advise.Frown

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

May 17, 2007, 7:58 PM

Post #2 of 21 (4817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherwith] Caring for a puppy in an apartment environment? [In reply to] Can't Post

Since you are ready for the commitment, then the next step would be to find a pet that best suits your lifestyle. You have to talk to the management of the condo regarding this. Some condos in Penang allow small- breed. Let me warn you, it's not easy to find an apartment which accepts dogs in Penang totally. I wish you luck in negotiating with the management.

Being a responsible pet owner involves more than just providing water, food, shelter and affection. It is also about being mindful of other people who don’t share your love for dogs. It is OK to have a dog in your apartment as long as your neighbors don't get troubled more than you. The only concern you may encounter that might pertain to your neighbors is if your dog develop separation anxiety (when the dog whines and barks for very long periods of time when you go to work and being alone). Moreover, all dogs need exercise on a regular basis too. It helps to curb boredom and tense behavior. You need an upkeep on potty training (pee and poo on the newspaper) for a start and the way to de-bark your dog. Dogs are sensitive to noise and be prepared. Above all you need the RIGHT method, routine or timetable and follow it through to make your life easy with your dog in an apartment.

The larger breeds are actually WONDERFUL too but not in the apartments if you ask me. They aren't wanderers but need more exercise (like Lab or Shepard) than their smaller breeds (poodle or terrier) to calm down. Smaller dogs do yapping and try to learn your breed characterictics. My opinion: I think it would be fine as long as you walk your dog at least once a day or make sure he/she gets good exercise, obedience training especially in the common areas like in the lobby, elevator and playground. (We all can't live in houses with backyards).

Contact www.agility-penang.com and ask the person there where can you find the proper place to walk your dog, obedience training if you need it and etc. You can find any books based on your dog's breed or search in the Internet.

Remember this formula/hierachy:- Exercise+ Leadership+ Rules (discipline, routine, timetable) + Affection = balanced dog.

Goodluck.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on May 17, 2007, 8:05 PM)

cherwith
Novice

May 17, 2007, 9:10 PM

Post #3 of 21 (4807 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] Caring for a puppy in an apartment environment? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks a lot for your pointers, it will be very useful. But I do worry about the dog, is it ok for them to live in such an environment as previously I've always had land for them to run. As I will be living alone, I can always let them roam the house I guess.
Well about the management, prior to buying a place I asked the guy about keeping pets. He said in the agreement in any apartment pets are not allowed.But he said most of the time they keep satu mata tutup policy when it comes to owners wanting to keep pets. As long, as the pets do not create problems or gain complaints from other neighbors so he said ultimately depends on how you discipline your dog and how your immediate neighbors react. So I guess it depends on me. My uncle breeds dogs, mixed breeds. He has this house with loads of doggies on the outskirts of a town in Perak and people look at his home as a shelter. So those who do not want their dogs anymore gives him theirs. At times they are mongrels or even pedigree. So, I probably get a mix breed from him. He trains the dogs to a certain extent but I guess I will have to familiarize the dog with the apartment. As for leaving the apartment, I do not go out for such long hours as I teach on a one to one or group basis. I only spent about 3 hours away from home , with accumulation of 6 hours each week.Once my classes start in USM, I will be away for an additional 4 hours a week. If I go on long break or holidays I will bring my dog to my home town where I have another 3 adult dogs. Otherwise, I'm constantly at home minus trips to the doc, grocery shopping etc.
My main concern is the well-being of the puppy in term of exercise etc. I have a local vet back at my hometown I'm familiar with and I know SPCA penang has a visiting vet. I will check the agility training thing you told me about . Oh ya I almost forget what do you mean by De-bark?ThanksFrown

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

May 18, 2007, 9:07 AM

Post #4 of 21 (4794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherwith] Caring for a puppy in an apartment environment? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thanks a lot for your pointers, it will be very useful. But I do worry about the dog, is it ok for them to live in such an environment as previously I've always had land for them to run. As I will be living alone, I can always let them roam the house I guess.
Well about the management, prior to buying a place I asked the guy about keeping pets. He said in the agreement in any apartment pets are not allowed.But he said most of the time they keep satu mata tutup policy when it comes to owners wanting to keep pets. As long, as the pets do not create problems or gain complaints from other neighbors so he said ultimately depends on how you discipline your dog and how your immediate neighbors react. So I guess it depends on me. My uncle breeds dogs, mixed breeds. He has this house with loads of doggies on the outskirts of a town in Perak and people look at his home as a shelter. So those who do not want their dogs anymore gives him theirs. At times they are mongrels or even pedigree. So, I probably get a mix breed from him. He trains the dogs to a certain extent but I guess I will have to familiarize the dog with the apartment. As for leaving the apartment, I do not go out for such long hours as I teach on a one to one or group basis. I only spent about 3 hours away from home , with accumulation of 6 hours each week.Once my classes start in USM, I will be away for an additional 4 hours a week. If I go on long break or holidays I will bring my dog to my home town where I have another 3 adult dogs. Otherwise, I'm constantly at home minus trips to the doc, grocery shopping etc.
My main concern is the well-being of the puppy in term of exercise etc. I have a local vet back at my hometown I'm familiar with and I know SPCA penang has a visiting vet. I will check the agility training thing you told me about . Oh ya I almost forget what do you mean by De-bark?ThanksFrown

Yes, normally the management will be lenient about small- breed dogs kept in the apartment. Therefore, it is your job as a dog owner to ensure your dog will be well-behaved. Your uncle could not be more right. There is a saying- a dog reflects his/her owner. People judge a dog based on the owner!

De-bark is the term or technique to discourage a dog's excessive or inappropriate barking. Some people use electric device, water spray and stern voice to keep their dog from barking to sound and sight. Many dog owners find themselves at odds with neighbors because of night-time barking or excessive barking during minor events. This training is useful for you since you want to live in the apartment and around neighbors soon.

May I take this opportunity by sharing with you what I have learned in the past too. A good dog is a tired dog! Remember this. Like you mentioned above, yes you could let the dogs roam in the apartment. I used to think like that too. However, I finally realize that dogs love to walk at least 15- 30 minutes everyday. If you have no time, 3-4 times a week. Exercise/walking or fetching is not the same with roaming. Just take your dog around the apartment and neighborhood 1st. Remember this, fishes suppose to swim, birds suppose to fly and dogs suppose to walk. Dogs react good to different smells in the air and walking is good to stimulate their senses. For dogs to walk and sniff the ground is like.. us humans be able to watch our fav tv program from a Plasma TV. It is a real treat for them. You should try it and you could see the different immediately. Plus, walking is good and much easier to train a dog after exercising too. Lack of exercise will create a 'cabin fever' known for - aggressiveness, barking, nervousness and frustration.

Personally, I think you would do fine and do not hesitate to invest your time and a little bit of money in raising your dog. Joint a group training, dog club, obedience class or even buying books about dogs are useful if you encounter problems with your pet. Your intention to adopt a dog from SPCA should be praised. It is a full-time job and it is like having a kid at home. Bravo!

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on May 18, 2007, 9:13 AM)

PangurBan
Old Kaki

May 18, 2007, 4:47 PM

Post #5 of 21 (4787 views)
Shortcut

I don't see any problem as long as you either:

1 Get a breed with low exercise requirement and one that is less active;

or

2 Make sure the dog gets lots of exercise as outlined by Lady Eloise. Just bear in mind that it can be difficult to deal with a hyperactive dog in a flat, but with training, and if you give him enough exercise, this need not be a problem at all.

In the case of 1, you can get away with keeping the dog indoors most of the time (he should still get some exercise for him to be healthy) and your neighbours and the building management might not even know you have a dog if you can train him to be quiet. Most complaints by neighbours I imagine would be from the noise, so I would look for a breed which is not known to be yappy. Again, there are always exceptions. The Miniature Schnauzer is known to be yappy, but mine hardly ever barks. Again, you can train a yappy dog to minimize his barking.

If you get a mixed breed, it can be difficult to tell what personality the dog is going to have when it grows up, but since your uncle sounds like an experienced dog keeper, his instincts might be good enough to pick a suitable puppy for you.

The fact that you're going to spend a lot of time at home with the dog will already cover for many of the disadvantages or problems associated with flat dogs, since many behavioural problems stem from dogs which are bored and anxious due to being left alone for long periods of time.

Good luck.

loolick

May 21, 2007, 11:22 PM

Post #6 of 21 (4745 views)
Shortcut

Yes yes, totally agree with Lady Eloise & PangurBan!

There are lots of owner ard Malaysia that keep their dog in their apartment and they found no problem at all. But it would be great if you can check out with your neighbours if there are okie if you have a dog in your house. They might not like it with the noise, smell and they might scare of dogs too.

Mixed breed is an option, but as PangurBan mentioned, it is very hard to understand their personality where you will have trouble trainning them.

With proper training and excercise, I am sure everything will be fine. I am staying alone and I can leave my dog alone for more than 12 hours (once in a while - due to work), where he will have quite a big place to run around and lots of water.

Anyway!good luck and hope that u can have 1 of your furkid soon!

cherwith
Novice

May 23, 2007, 9:38 AM

Post #7 of 21 (4725 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Caring for a puppy in an apartment environment? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey thanks a lot..I shall keep that all in mind....when I get my lil pup..Thanks yaa...:) Will let you guys know what dog I get..still a long time more, for now I'm trying to see what to do about keeping dog's in apartments legally....know its still pretty much unheard off and probably not viable...but hell...I ll try don't want some idiot to come take the dog away from me when i keep it in my apt...Have 3 at my parents house at the moment....hhhehe thanks again.

PangurBan
Old Kaki

May 23, 2007, 3:27 PM

Post #8 of 21 (4719 views)
Shortcut

I think you want to choose your flat, not your dog, properly.

aura
Novice

Jul 22, 2007, 5:59 AM

Post #9 of 21 (4570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Caring for a puppy in an apartment environment? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the case of 1, you can get away with keeping the dog indoors most of the time (he should still get some exercise for him to be healthy) and your neighbours and the building management might not even know you have a dog if you can train him to be quiet. Most complaints by neighbours I imagine would be from the noise, so I would look for a breed which is not known to be yappy. Again, there are always exceptions. The Miniature Schnauzer is known to be yappy, but mine hardly ever barks. Again, you can train a yappy dog to minimize his barking.

how do you train a dog to minimize his barking?

In Reply To

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Jul 24, 2007, 4:33 AM

Post #10 of 21 (4553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aura] Caring for a puppy in an apartment environment? [In reply to] Can't Post

1 scold him and say no firmly when he barks unnecessarily

2 ignore him if he barks to get your attention because if you go to him, he will get the idea that if he barks long enough, you will go to him

3 distract his attention when he barks with for example a tin can filled with pebbles which you shake vigorously

4 make sure you spend enough time with him and give him enough exercise. if he has had enough exercise and is tired and happy and is secure and confident, he is less likely to bark. Persistent barking is often a sign of insecurity, boredom, and too much pent up energy.

cherwith
Novice

Mar 10, 2008, 8:59 AM

Post #11 of 21 (3910 views)
Shortcut

I've finally got my own furkid!! Im so happy!!!

cherwith
Novice

Mar 10, 2008, 9:00 AM

Post #12 of 21 (3910 views)
Shortcut

I've finally got my own furkid!! Im so happy!!!

mum2jude
Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2008, 5:54 PM

Post #13 of 21 (3901 views)
Shortcut

Frown Happy for you!!

Have fun and enjoy your new little darling... Smile
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 19, 2008, 7:12 PM

Post #14 of 21 (3748 views)
Shortcut

there are gatherings held monthly by jessy. do keep a look out for it. it's held in penang. hope you and your pup can join us^^

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

Mar 19, 2008, 7:34 PM

Post #15 of 21 (3747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] Caring for a puppy in an apartment environment? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm..i see my name here..dun promote me lar..i need to step down soon liao in order to prepare for my own big occasion this year..that's why need you to be chairman leh to organise the dog gatherings..

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 19, 2008, 7:38 PM

Post #16 of 21 (3745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessyca_loh] Caring for a puppy in an apartment environment? [In reply to] Can't Post

your big even this year? hhaha you're not the only one ler :P

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

Mar 19, 2008, 7:46 PM

Post #17 of 21 (3744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] Caring for a puppy in an apartment environment? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh u2 ah ? that day u intro ur wife, i tot u oledi married mar. Tongue

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 20, 2008, 3:57 PM

Post #18 of 21 (3729 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessyca_loh] Caring for a puppy in an apartment environment? [In reply to] Can't Post

hold it together la.. then i no need go back penang 2 times Laugh but my pocket sure big hole give 2 angpaus..Pirate

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

Mar 21, 2008, 12:46 AM

Post #19 of 21 (3714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Caring for a puppy in an apartment environment? [In reply to] Can't Post

Eh cannot, Zephy's wedding will be held in KL, mine is in Penang / Bworth....erm yeah many ppl seems to be getting married this year, i already have like 2-3 colleagues also planning to get married this year..

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 21, 2008, 8:47 PM

Post #20 of 21 (3688 views)
Shortcut

Ya la.. get married at 8/08/2008 is a good day ma.. Chinese belief.. But me definitely not gonna get married yet.. Wink

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

Mar 22, 2008, 11:48 PM

Post #21 of 21 (3652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Caring for a puppy in an apartment environment? [In reply to] Can't Post

haha, yah 'fatt fat fatt' is no doubt a good date, i doubt tat i can find any restaurants on that day, some ppl book like 1 year ahead one..anyway better get back to topic b4 admin banned us Tongue

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my