ringworm !!!

miuccia
Novice

May 16, 2007, 3:14 AM

Post #1 of 2 (931 views)
Shortcut
ringworm !!! Can't Post

Hello,
today I took my 2month old puppy to the vet for his first vaccination and deworming, also I asked for a general check up, cos when he arrived from his breeder two weeks ago, he had some skin disease from stop weaning as the breeder said to usUnsure, I've washed him with a special shampoo as she suggested, but we noticed that he had more spots in his skin than before.
Today I've found out that he's got an infection, FUNGUS: ringworm (I think!). The vet just want to see him every week for a medical wash so I think maybe it isn't so bad, but she said that the ringworm is contagious for other animal and for human, so now I don't know what to do with my little one, I can't give him anymore hugs or kissesFrownFrown.

Do you know this desease, can you suggest me something to do, can I still play with my puppy like before?Frown

Thanks for your help, this forum is amazing!!!Frown

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

May 19, 2007, 6:35 PM

Post #2 of 2 (920 views)
Shortcut
Re: [miuccia] ringworm !!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You almost got it right, Miuccia!

Contrary to its name 'ringworm' is not a worm at all but a fungus that live on the skin. The fungi live on the surface of the skin. True, they can, however, infect other animals or humans.

Shampoos are normally okay but some shampoos are too overpowering. One more thing..did you dry his coat properly 2 weeks ago? Maybe he has sensitive skin. The fungus love damp and wet areas on dog's skin that sensitive. I think that is why he develops more spots and it becomes an infection.

Go to the treatment as your vet suggested and in the meantime what you could do at home is to clean the bedding and his crate (if you have one). Wash any cloth or pillow and shampoo the carpet with hot water/disinfectant liquid too. Confine him to one room/area of the house and clean every single thing he goes or sits. Dont let him roam outside in the bushes or soil. It could slow down the fungal from being mutated and reproduced. Thus, he will recover from it quickly!

Goodluck.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on May 19, 2007, 6:38 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my