Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Dew Claw

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Apr 23, 2007, 9:32 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1551 views)
Shortcut
Dew Claw Can't Post

Hey guys, just need some opinions, how many of you left the dew claws on your furkid and how many of you removed it?

My older ACS, Rascal does not have dew claws as I believed the Americans probably have it removed to try and keep him as close to what ACS should be. The current puppy Gizmo still has his 2 dew claws attached. I do not know if I should leave it as it is to grow beneath his thick layer of fur later on or to have it removed while he is still young? How much bigger would the dew claw grow to be?

Any vet to recommend that might perform such procedure because the current vet that I see no longer perfom such tasks (i.e: tail-docking, ear clipping, dew claw removing) and roughly how much would that be?

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 24, 2007, 12:21 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] Dew Claw [In reply to] Can't Post

Removing Declaws & Docking Tail is done when the pup is around 3 days old. It is not advisible to do this on adult dog.

I am not sure how much the vet are charging now. As 2 years ago the price for 1 pup is RM45 to remove declaws & docking tail.

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Apr 24, 2007, 12:55 AM

Post #3 of 7 (1544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Dew Claw [In reply to] Can't Post

chris kor ah...not doing on adult dog...but gizmo....

His tail already docked wor so i just need to remove the dew claw if i want to lah. Was thinking of doing it when I take him to be castrated later on. So one shot, under 1 GA cut everything lor......

Still thinking lah if i should remove it or not.......

Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 24, 2007, 5:10 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1535 views)
Shortcut

Oh.....you spaying Gizmo then 1 time do all lor.

If purposely just go remove declaws than its not advisible lah.

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Apr 24, 2007, 8:16 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1524 views)
Shortcut

yes yes...will definitely get gizmo neutered but when he gets older....so i'll do all in a go then.......

but should i remove the dew claw or not? Need stitches one ah? Then the fella sure cannot stand for a few days already lah after removing it....how ah? they just use a giant nail-clipper like thing and clip away the dew claw or how? hahhaah really curious how they do it.......hahahaha

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 24, 2007, 8:27 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1523 views)
Shortcut

Adult dog don't know what the vet will use to cut the declaw lahUnsure Better ask the vet for advise.

As for puppy they use cutter look like nail clipper but biggerShocked. The vet will sew up the wound after few day it will heal. No bleeding at all.

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Apr 24, 2007, 9:25 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1516 views)
Shortcut

ohh ok ok...yah lah now i gotta look for a reputable vet to do that lor....the vet i'm seeing no longer does all this...he only do neutering but no removal of dew claws. He doesnt encourage it at all...Crazy Weird lah.....my bigger dog no dew claw then wait this other one pulak got dew claw. yea lah, these fellas all no longer retrieve shot down birds and hence no chance of getting themselves hurt....but i takut Rascal and Gizmo play until gila later on and scared Gizmo run run run and no brake wait hurt his dew claw pulak. That's why i also wanna know how much bigger will they get......not necessary must retrieve birds only can get injured mah right, in 21st century environment also can get injured what......Laugh

so i gotta look for another reputable vet to neuter as well as remove the dew claw on Gizmo when he is slightly older. Say a few more months down the road. Should have more than enough hormones running in his blood then but still too lil to show off his machoness to rascal. hahahaha

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my