First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Beanie82
Novice

Apr 18, 2007, 1:45 AM

Post #1 of 29 (23766 views)
Shortcut
Best way to potty train Can't Post

Hi everyone! Smile

I just got a 3 month old Bichon Frise last weekend. Am confused as to how to potty train her because I am away at work from 8am to 7pm.

Right now I have her in the crate with her toys all day. I only let her out in the morning before I go to work and at night after I come back. Even then, I limit the areas she can access otherwise she will do her business everywhere.

I thought of putting her in the toilet instead of the crate during the day, place some newspapers there so hopefully she can be potty trained that way. All I am afraid is that she will mess the whole place up while I'm gone.

Really need some advice some all the experienced people here as I am a first time dog owner... Thanks in advance! Smile

YanYan
Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2007, 2:55 AM

Post #2 of 29 (23762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beanie82] Best way to potty train [In reply to] Can't Post

FrownBeanie82

Do you have anyone at home that can take care of

your pup when you are away to work? You should have

thought about this before your get your pup earlier on.

Pup is not encouraged to put in the crate for a long

time,max is 4 hours. It won't be good to her as

she will have separation anxiety. Toys won't be

enough for her though. For now she is still new at your

home,so try to spend more time with her as this will

help her to adapt to her new home.Smile Hmm..putting

her in the toilet for the whole day is not a good option.

She might think that you are punishing her to put her

in the toilet. She will get confused. Mostly pup will have

some "accidents". What I mean is they will pee and

poo at the places where you don't want them to.

So,now let her do her business in her crate with the

newspaper underneath it should be okay.

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 18, 2007, 4:57 AM

Post #3 of 29 (23757 views)
Shortcut

Get a playpen & lay some newspaper inside the playpen. Leave a place without newspaper, that place will be her sleeping/rest area. Dog never dirty on their sleeping/rest place. She have no choice but to pee & poo on the newspaper but your pup will also play & bite the newspaper "it normal for a playful & curious puppy". The playing & bitting will stop once she is mature enough. But now you need to introduce her that she only can pee & poo on the newspaper.

Once she get the idea newspaper is pee & poo area. Prepare a tray & the place you would like her to pee & poo and lay down newspaper on the tray. Let her out & observe her. Once she wanted to pee & poo quickly take her to the newspaper. Praise her once she done.

Consistant in your training & be patient.

You need to spend more time with your pup & You also need to cancel all your shopping/holiday plan!!! LOL

Early puppy is very important.

(This post was edited by chrisong on Apr 18, 2007, 5:08 AM)

Beanie82
Novice

Apr 18, 2007, 6:48 PM

Post #4 of 29 (23738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [YanYan] Best way to potty train [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi YanYan!

Well, my mother is at home but she is afraid of dogs so I cannot expect her to help out. Unsure She just acts as a visual stimulation to Joo Joo during the day... Initially she was nagging me about getting a dog but seems like now she is submitting and even portraying signs of caring for Joo Joo's welfare. Wink

If I do put her in the toilet, at least I can toilet train her there with a litter box. Also, I plan to buy a puppy gate instead of using the toilet door to close her in so she doesn't feel so alone. Smile Is that still not a very good idea?

Beanie82
Novice

Apr 18, 2007, 6:57 PM

Post #5 of 29 (23737 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Best way to potty train [In reply to] Can't Post

Chrisong,

Some of my friends suggested to put the crate within a playpen. Is that a good idea? I am really afraid she will mess the whole place up and then my mother will really have something to say. Crazy

Right now I take her out to the porch to pee and poo before and after work. She does it diligently most of the time... Smile Especially this morning, she was a real angel. Poo twice and pee once, both times also on the porch. I did not use newspapers though... Should I?

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 18, 2007, 7:10 PM

Post #6 of 29 (23736 views)
Shortcut

Yes. You should train her using newspaper if you intend to keep her inside the house.

YanYan
Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2007, 2:12 AM

Post #7 of 29 (23727 views)
Shortcut

Frown Beanie82

Oh,at least there are someone at home,although she

might not be helping but at least to make sure that your

pup is safe lor.Smile Hehe,mostly parents will nag at 1st

later on only change their mindset one. HahaLaugh

Hmm..about the toilet-train thing you can give it a try.

Joo Joo is your pup so you are her owner who decide

on where she will pee and poo lor.Wink If you plan to

let her stay indoor most all the time you should paper-

training her instead of housebreaking. It will make you

and her more convinient. Stick to one of the option,

choose both will make her confused.

Beanie82
Novice

Apr 20, 2007, 6:27 PM

Post #8 of 29 (23710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Best way to potty train [In reply to] Can't Post

Chrisong,

How do I train her using newspaper? As in how do I get her to go the the newspaper and do her business there?

She does it now everytime I take her out of her crate (the the porch or wherever, she just does it as long as she's out of her crate) but she doesn't do it in newspapers. She pick random spots.

Beanie82
Novice

Apr 20, 2007, 6:29 PM

Post #9 of 29 (23709 views)
Shortcut

Yan Yan,

I will be moving in to my own place soon with my hubbie... Then she will be all alone at home. But it's good now that she is younger and has my mother around. At least if anything also my mother can notify me... Rather than I worry and worry and worry. Tongue

Any advice on how to paper train?

YanYan
Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2007, 4:24 AM

Post #10 of 29 (23703 views)
Shortcut

Beanie82

Oh,is good to hear that you are moving outSmile But at least try not to let her to be alone in the

house for a long time ya! Oh,paper-training is good for indoor dog. Put some newspaper on the

place where you want her to pee and poo. At 1st she won't pee and poo on the newspaper right?

If you get to caught her in the act when she poo elsewhere then tell her "NO" firmly,then

you take her poo to the newspaper then take her there and tell her that she must poo on the

newspaper. Let her see it,not to touch it. Do this repeatly everyday until she learned it. Same goes

pee pee,after she pee(not on the newspaper) clean it with some cloth then bring her to smell it.

And repeat the same thing, put some of her pee on the newspaper she will recognizes her smell then

slowly she will get used of doing it on the newspaper. This training will take times,its vary for every

dogs. If got any problem,please don't hesitate to ask aroundWink Anyway,good luck

Beanie82
Novice

Apr 23, 2007, 7:39 PM

Post #11 of 29 (23686 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Yan Yan... Smile

About the peeing part, you mean clean the pee with a cloth and then bring her to smell what? The cloth?

I think my training is really taking time. I put her on the newspaper but she walks off and does it like few inches away. I wonder why?!

YanYan
Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2007, 5:39 PM

Post #12 of 29 (23669 views)
Shortcut

You are welcomeSmile

I think you better soak a bit of her pee pee with newspaper and let her smell it.

Coz if you do it on the cloth,next time she whenever she saw cloth or even worse is your clothes on the floor,she will pee on it.

So stick to the newspaper lor. I put her on the newspaper but she walks off and does it like few inches away. Ya,last time

my dog also like that,guess she is still new to the environment. Whenever you caught her do that,scold her straight away.

This kind of training surely will takes time,be patience yaWink Wish you luck

Beanie82
Novice

Apr 25, 2007, 5:46 PM

Post #13 of 29 (23665 views)
Shortcut

Yan Yan,

Once she pee wrong place, I say NO, pick her up and put her on the newspaper, then say GO PEE. Will that work? Then I'll swap a bit of her urine on the newspaper for her to recognise next time she pee.

If poo I can stop on time because poo takes time to come out. So I immediately carry her to the newspaper and keep saying GO POO. After she does, I'll give her treat as if she went to the correct place on her own.

Oh my... Looks like we have similar doggie traits! Tongue How long did it take to train your doggie? And what breed is it?

YanYan
Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2007, 5:57 PM

Post #14 of 29 (23663 views)
Shortcut

Beanie82

Once she pee wrong place, I say NO, pick her up and put her on the newspaper, then say GO PEE. Will that work? Then I'll swap a bit of her urine on the newspaper for her to recognise next time she pee.

If poo I can stop on time because poo takes time to come out. So I immediately carry her to the newspaper and keep saying GO POO. After she does, I'll give her treat as if she went to the correct place on her own.

Good job You learned faster than her. HeheTongue Keep repeating the same thing,at times she will know the rules in your house.Smile

Oh my... Looks like we have similar doggie traits! Tongue How long did it take to train your doggie? And what breed is it?

Yalor,she is a Miniature Schnauzer. But she is not belongs to me now. Get adopted by another good owner already coz my

grandma is allergic to dogsFrown Hopefully I got chance to move out when I get to work later on. Would like to have a dog again

Beanie82
Novice

Apr 25, 2007, 9:34 PM

Post #15 of 29 (23658 views)
Shortcut

Don't worry, you will definitely have your own doggie again someday. It is just a matter of time, be patient! Wink

Hopefully this works out... Otherwise I am really out of ideas. Thought of buying those urine drops. Smile Any good ones to recommend?

goofydip
Veteran

Apr 25, 2007, 10:22 PM

Post #16 of 29 (23657 views)
Shortcut

hi

urine drop? u mean the housebreaking training aid (spray)? i used that before, but doesn't work ler...i dunno whether it doesn't work to my Goofy only or wat..just a comment la..Tongue

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

YanYan
Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2007, 7:56 PM

Post #17 of 29 (23649 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Don't worry, you will definitely have your own doggie again someday. It is just a matter of time, be patient! Wink

Hopefully this works out... Otherwise I am really out of ideas. Thought of buying those urine drops. Smile Any good ones to recommend?

I hope so,anyway thanks yaSmile

Oh,I think you do not need to buy those urine drops as a proper training will be enough for her. Hmm..and what makes you

thought of buying that? Any of your friends is using it?

Beanie82
Novice

Apr 27, 2007, 5:01 PM

Post #18 of 29 (23636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goofydip] Best way to potty train [In reply to] Can't Post

Goofy,

Yeah the spray thing... I think it only works on some doggies, not all. That is why I am rather reluctant to try it but I will when I get desperate. Wink

Beanie82
Novice

Apr 27, 2007, 5:11 PM

Post #19 of 29 (23635 views)
Shortcut

Yan Yan,

Some of my friends do use the urine drops. Some say it works and some say it does not. Tongue I really wonder how long it is going to take to train my lil fella up!

YanYan
Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2007, 4:32 AM

Post #20 of 29 (23629 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yan Yan,

Some of my friends do use the urine drops. Some say it works and some say it does not. Tongue I really wonder how long it is going to take to train my lil fella up!

Beanie82

Yah,not all dogs works using this urine drops but you can give it a try if you want. Will it be costly? How much usually it will cost?

She is your dog,you are the one who decide what suit her best. We are just giving opinionsWink

Beanie82
Novice

Apr 30, 2007, 4:49 PM

Post #21 of 29 (23602 views)
Shortcut

Yan Yan,

I have no idea how much it costs... But I will use it only when I get really desperate. Right now I am still alright and patient with her. Smile

Beanie82
Novice

May 2, 2007, 11:10 PM

Post #22 of 29 (23561 views)
Shortcut

An update on Joo Joo's potty training:

For the past 2 days, she is now going on the newspapers without fail each time she pees!!! However, the newspapers can only be placed at ONE certain spot or else she won't go to it. Should this be the way or should I be training her to be versatile, i.e. look for the newspapers no matter where they are located?

Oh and I think she doesn't like peeing and pooing at the same newspapers... She seems to do her pooing a little further off the newspapers. I don't know why!

Please help... Frown

YanYan
Enthusiast

May 3, 2007, 9:04 PM

Post #23 of 29 (23558 views)
Shortcut

Frown Beanie82

Is good to hear that she learned some of the rule,

although she haven't fully master it yet. Good work!

Only placed the newspaper on one certain spot to prevent

her to wander around doing her business. Hmm..the dog

I adopted last time but end up giving away now she

pee pee on the newspaper already,no more inches

away from the newspaper. Her owner told me so Smile

But it takes months for her to master it. So try to give

her more time,as I believe she will get to learn it one

day.

Beanie82
Novice

May 4, 2007, 12:27 AM

Post #24 of 29 (23552 views)
Shortcut

Yan Yan,

I read somewhere that some dogs do not like to pee and poo on the same newspapers. Maybe I should put 2 spots for her, one to pee and one to poo. What do you think? It is space consuming though...

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

May 5, 2007, 7:31 PM

Post #25 of 29 (23535 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I placed 2 newspaper spots for my 5mth old Poodle, cos if one spot is soiled, she wont go do her business there already..so i placed one in the toilet n another in my room where she spends mosts of her time..but remember to keep changing the newspaper sheet lor..

My Nana will use one spot to wee and another spot to poo..if both spot also soiled n nobody change the sheets, she will pee next the newspaper..Unsure

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my