Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
am a complete dummy on dog-owning; kindly help yarr? ;D

naddie
Novice

Apr 16, 2007, 3:41 AM

Post #1 of 23 (2087 views)
Shortcut
am a complete dummy on dog-owning; kindly help yarr? ;D Can't Post

hye. i'm posting since i'm in desperate need of some help. i've fallen in love with golden retrievers. and i understand how big they can get. and i actually prefer big dogs anyway. but i wonder if keeping a puppy in a studio apartment is alright.

i've read that goldens can be a handful since they need constant exercise. i can assure you that i can provide that for my dog since i'm a jog-aholic (if that's even a word). but i'm currently working with digi so i work on shifts. the inconsistent hours may stress my future dog. i wonder if they can adapt? please help.

i really want a golden retriever. can anyone give me tips on how to take care of one from the first day until forever? thank you :)

YanYan
Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2007, 5:40 AM

Post #2 of 23 (2081 views)
Shortcut
Re: [naddie] am a complete dummy on dog-owning; kindly help yarr? ;D [In reply to] Can't Post

naddie

Hmm..I don't know whether you can keep a pup in the studio apartment or not. Is

there any notice that stated that 'pets are not allowed' in that apartment? When GR is still a pup,it

might be okay to let it stay there but you also have to consider when GR grows up later on,it

will need lots of space to roam around. Usually puppies will tend to need lots of attention and

patience. The most important thing you have to think now is,will you be able to feed the pup

on time everyday? Since you are working on shifts,you can try to arrange your time that suit

your future GR pup best. Wish you luck

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Apr 16, 2007, 5:40 AM

Post #3 of 23 (2079 views)
Shortcut
Re: [naddie] am a complete dummy on dog-owning; kindly help yarr? ;D [In reply to] Can't Post

Three reasons why you shouldn't get a dog:

1) The stress of being constantly on your guard because you're breaking a by-law, unless your property is absolutely dog-friendly. Many people live with this of course or just couldn't be bothered by-law or no by-law (see below).

2) Unless you live with someone who can be at home more than you are, then it's probably not fair on the dog - they thrive on company; the irregular hours of course don't help at all since dogs are creatures of habit. The GR is a very intelligent dog, and they need a lot of stimulation, and I don't think leaving one of them alone for hours on end in a studio apartment is good.

3) Don't underestimate the awkwardness of keeping a big dog in a small space esp a flat. Owners of small breeds might get away with keeping a small dog in a flat, and fellow residents might flinch slightly when they run into you and your small dog or say o how cute. Many of these dogs remain in the flat all day and when they get out at all, they're smuggled out in a bag or taken straight down to the basement car park. But can you imagine what will happen if a makcik steps into the lift with her shopping while you're in it with your fully grown GR?

That said, I've read about people who keep Great Danes in a flat in the city centre - the owner of course makes sure the dog gets plenty of exercise outside the flat.

(This post was edited by PangurBan on Apr 16, 2007, 5:44 AM)

naddie
Novice

Apr 16, 2007, 3:21 PM

Post #4 of 23 (2070 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] am a complete dummy on dog-owning; kindly help yarr? ;D [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks yanyan and pangurban.

i was also thinking that space would be a problem. cuz my friend's GR is huge and he actually just turned one year old yesterday. i know a dog is a lifetime commitment. i used to own persians before. change of taste i guess.

well it may be true about it not supposed to be there. some neighbors may complain about me having a dog. i'm actually still looking around for a place to stay. i'm moving out from my parents' house and i wanted a dog for company. i'll actually be living with my boyfriend. and he'll be studying. so he'll have a consistent schedule.

but maybe GRs aren't for me. they're too big i guess. maybe i should choose a toy dog. but i don't really like shih tzus. beagles are kinda cute. are they active and playful like GRs? any other breed suggestions?

and actually i'm a malay. omg please don't judge me on wanting to have a dog Frown

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Apr 16, 2007, 3:56 PM

Post #5 of 23 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Nothing wrong with malays keeping dogs. The vet I take my doggie to is Malay and I believe he keeps dogs. Unfortunately, there is a phobia amongst the Malay community towards dogs because of some strict interpretation of the hadith or qur'an, and you might have to live with ugly looks from other Malays.

Get a small breed - doesn't have to be a toy dog. The beagle, for one, isn't a toy dog. It might be a good idea to start with a small breed dog first, to match your living space and lifestyle, then, when you have the space, and you are already an experienced dog owner, get yourself a GR.

Try this website. It might help you identify a suitable breed: www.dogbreedinfo.org/

(This post was edited by PangurBan on Apr 17, 2007, 2:24 AM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 16, 2007, 4:58 PM

Post #6 of 23 (2065 views)
Shortcut

You also need to consider your families, malay friends & neighbours when you want to keep a dog. Can you handle all the rejections & complains from them?

I have malay friend that kept dog later gave up to due to this problem.

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Apr 16, 2007, 7:53 PM

Post #7 of 23 (2053 views)
Shortcut

ur beliefs does not require others to believe...

good luck

ezekiel 25:17

naddie
Novice

Apr 17, 2007, 4:01 AM

Post #8 of 23 (2041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] am a complete dummy on dog-owning; kindly help yarr? ;D [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks pangurban. i'm checking the website out at the moment. i don't really think i can handle a toy dog that well. they come as too delicate. i'm scared i'll accidentally sit on them or something clumsy like that. *shivers*

my friends also advise me to get a small breed first. one of them said a beagle isn't a bad idea. i'll have to scope out some other choices too. i also like the cavalier king charles spaniel. but i wonder whether there are malaysian breeders.

that's a good point chris. by the way did you get my email on GR breeders? first of all, my parents have no idea whatsoever. and they're not gonna be happy if they find out anyway. but i'm not exactly the best daughter in the world. yea, we kinda have too many arguments. my friends on the other hand actually can't wait for me to get a puppy. honestly, i don't have many malay friends. and if they are malay, they're kinda open about these things. on neighbors, well i can't do anything about that. and i look chinese anyway so yea ;D

thanks vino for supporting me. it's true, i can never force others to understand my beliefs. if i believe in what i do then why not yarr?

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 17, 2007, 4:08 AM

Post #9 of 23 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Already send you a email this morningShocked

Maybe I send again now

naddie
Novice

Apr 17, 2007, 4:35 AM

Post #10 of 23 (2036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] am a complete dummy on dog-owning; kindly help yarr? ;D [In reply to] Can't Post

chris, i got the email. wow you reply pretty fast. i'm considering small and medium sized dogs. i was eyeing the beagle. do you have any other recommendations?

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 17, 2007, 4:40 AM

Post #11 of 23 (2034 views)
Shortcut

Beagle ar....Hmmmm........No idea who are reliable.

But you can try post up your enquiry at Hound Group Section. There are quite a few active beagle owners there. Maybe they can help you.

or you can give MKA a call to check or ask them to recommend you a good breeder. Their contact can be reach here http://www.mka.org.my/contact.htm

Good LuckWink

naddie
Novice

Apr 17, 2007, 4:51 AM

Post #12 of 23 (2029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] am a complete dummy on dog-owning; kindly help yarr? ;D [In reply to] Can't Post

chris, you are a huge help. thank you so much. i'll call them first thing tomorrow. i'm still considering on what breed to get. i'm not in a rush to get one actually. i just want one that will have fun living with me for the next 10years or so. but they're all so adorable. i can't choose.

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 17, 2007, 4:58 AM

Post #13 of 23 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Why not go to bookstore and buy some doggie encyclopedia and read the different breeds behaviours first.

On month of June there have a International & Local dog show organise by MKA. Do check out the Dog Show Championship Thread in the forum for more information. There you get to look at the real dogs and also meet the breeder there and talk to them.

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Apr 17, 2007, 4:59 AM

Post #14 of 23 (2025 views)
Shortcut

The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel might be a spaniel and therefore in theory a gundog like the GR, but I'm afraid it's classified as a toy dog, and really when you look at it ... ooops better not say more.

Given the limitations of your living space, I would advise you to get a dog that has a calm temperament and will not zip around the flat at top speed and knock everything down within seconds and a dog that is not generally yappy, so as not to rouse the ire of the neighbours and land you with a bucketful of complaints. Unfortunately for you, this does point to some of the toy dogs.

However the beagle might be a good choice for you. It's a hunting dog and therefore not too far removed from gundogs like the GR. The beagles I've seen look placid enough and I believe they only make a lot of noise when they're in a pack chasing a fox.

You might also consider the English or American Cocker Spaniels, both gundogs like the GR, or the Pembroke Welsh Corgi, although this one can bark quite a bit.

Some of the other breeds you might consider are the terriers like the Westie and the Australian Silky or the Jack Russell esp if you want a jogging partner. But terriers are all high-spirited and can be potentially destructive running around in a small flat and they can all be yappy. But it all depends on your luck. I've got a miniature schnauzer. They're known to be yappy, but mine hardly ever barks.

If you've got a lot of money, import a basenji. They don't bark at all, and their coat requires minimal care. Or if you know some Orang Asli near Raub, try and get hold of one their puppies - some Americans brought breeding stock of the Semai hunting dog back home with them and established a purebred standard there which they call the Telomian.

naddie
Novice

Apr 17, 2007, 5:13 AM

Post #15 of 23 (2023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] am a complete dummy on dog-owning; kindly help yarr? ;D [In reply to] Can't Post

chris, that's also a good idea. at least i can see all the breeds up close. you know, i was planning to get a book to read up on dogs. i was planning to do that this weekend. my motto is, you can never read too much on a subject you're not familiar with. i've been reading like crazy from sunday. now my head is spinning at all the dog breeds. it's a new thing for me because i was so used to cat breeds which apparently are lesser than dogs.

pangurban, i was looking at the cavalier king charles spaniel and i noticed how cute they are. then i saw the flat face and i wonder whether is it that cute. gosh it reminds me of my persians but with a stuck up nose. omg i'm so mean. hey it's just my opinion. i think you're right. i've fallen in love with the american cocker spaniel. sheesh i'm making it harder for myself to choose a breed. that's what i know about terriers. and i don't think relying on luck is good enough to get a quiet dog. it's a lifetime commitment yarr? i don't mind playful and active dogs. but please no hyperactive ones. also the noisy ones like shih tzus mostly. living in an apartment would make things tough. i'll try to look up the corgi. sounds like a cool name. by the way, i did look up the australian silky and i'm like "omg how am i supposed to keep that coat shiny?". i mean that's a little too much hair on a dog right? haha don't mind me i'm just having fun. about the basenji and telomian, those are good facts for me to read up. i mean obviously not a basenji as my first dog. but the name does sound exotic. now i'm in desperate need of a dog encyclopedia o.O

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Apr 17, 2007, 6:56 PM

Post #16 of 23 (2001 views)
Shortcut

hi hi hi....i owned 2 ACS...well 1 for sure and the other still pending owndership. Hahah but that fella is still with me. So still consider I own for now lah..... Wink

Puppy look like this:

Big already look like this:

Size wise ah....aiya I cannot give u a comparison lah since my adult ACS is direct import from its original country. So like ang-moh vs asians, he is a lot bigger too. Locally bred ACS tend to be a little smaller from what i've noticed lor.

As for apt life, should be ok kua. They just like to run around, very playful and extremely greedy. But i've heard ppl telling me that most spaniels's personality will take after the owner's personality. So if you're a quiet more laid back person, ur spaniel also would be more laidback one. If you're hyper, then your spaniel also very hyper wor....i donnu how true is that lah.

My only sole problem with ACS is they shed like there is no tomorrow. If you have a sensitive nose or not into house-cleaning everyday, you might wanna reconsider them. As for me, i'm lazy enough to only vacuum up the whole house once a week. If only Rascal's fur is worth money, i'll be rich by now. Hahahaha Tongue. But I have a friend who is a ballerina and she has informed me to keep all of rascal's fur for her. Apparently she wants to use to lace her shoes up so when she stands on her toe, it doesnt hurt. And apparently dog's fur are the best support as compared to cotton.

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Apr 18, 2007, 1:25 AM

Post #17 of 23 (1989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] am a complete dummy on dog-owning; kindly help yarr? ;D [In reply to] Can't Post

Alamak, pending ownership? How come laidet wan?

naddie
Novice

Apr 18, 2007, 5:12 AM

Post #18 of 23 (1981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] am a complete dummy on dog-owning; kindly help yarr? ;D [In reply to] Can't Post

omg the fella is so keeyute. if those eyes stare at me i'd go "walawei"... hahaha. i don't really mind fur everywhere. i'm used to persians shedding like there's no tomorrow as well haha. but it might make me rethink of getting an acs. i was also considering a westie and a beagle. so any reviews on those breeds?

btw steffy, what do you mean by a pending ownership. got like that one ah?

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Apr 19, 2007, 12:07 AM

Post #19 of 23 (1968 views)
Shortcut

HAHAHHAHA...got got...aiya...i've told this grandma story somewhere before lah...but anyway...

Gizmo actually belonged (48hours ownership only so far) a friend of mine who happens to be working off-shore now. He got Gizmo from a family friend who happens to have 2 ACS and they never had the intention of being breeders. So accidental birth lah...if i'm not wrong, the female ACS is still quite young that's why they never took it for spaying earlier. Cos some vets apparently believes in letting the hormones work wonders in their growing years. So the original owners gave up all the pups lor to family and friends. All puppies apparently certified lah... so my 'smart' friend took the pup lor since it was offered mah......i think his thinking is to sell the pup cos got cert......but he didnt even spend more than 48hours with Gizmo, kena go on call off-shore. So dump the fella on me lah. Crazy

Now, waiting for my friend to come back to KL and talk talk talk. But the last phone call he kinda sounded ok giving me the pup cos I know he loves rascal and I keep telling him Rascal is falling in love with Gizmo and bla bla bla and he needs a playmate. Sly Hahahahahaha............aiya i know that fella DONT NEED the money from the pup one. He just wants the extra cash so he can get his PS3!

Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 19, 2007, 4:46 AM

Post #20 of 23 (1959 views)
Shortcut

How much the PS3 selling now? LOL Out of topic

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Apr 19, 2007, 8:14 PM

Post #21 of 23 (1953 views)
Shortcut

Hahaha RM1.8k i think for the 20GB model...aiya less than RM2k already lah...but sad part...no MO* Chip yet for the PS3. So if u get one now, means play Original games ok. Hahahahaha

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 20, 2007, 6:43 AM

Post #22 of 23 (1941 views)
Shortcut

Then wait it drop price then get one lah.

naddie
Novice

Apr 21, 2007, 7:19 AM

Post #23 of 23 (1924 views)
Shortcut

haha a ps3 is so off topic. but i think it's a complete waste to spend on ori games. i have a 360 but i only bought it because it has ciplak games. ceyh...

lorx pending ah. but i really hope your friend gives it off to you. i understand how you can get attached to a puppy. by the way, if i'm getting a puppy, what are the basic items that i must have? and don't use weird languages, i'm a noob in dogs.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my