Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Attitude girl

princessmisha
Novice

Apr 14, 2007, 1:28 AM

Post #1 of 9 (2766 views)
Shortcut
Attitude girl Can't Post

...... my girl has got a major attitude problem... she doesnt come to us whenever we call her name. She will just look at us and turn her back on us. she will only come to us when we have food in our hands or she knows we are taking her out for a walk or car ride otherwise..... she just cant be bothered!

what can i do? Frown

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Apr 21, 2007, 7:01 PM

Post #2 of 9 (2731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [princessmisha] Attitude girl [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...... my girl has got a major attitude problem... she doesnt come to us whenever we call her name. She will just look at us and turn her back on us. she will only come to us when we have food in our hands or she knows we are taking her out for a walk or car ride otherwise..... she just cant be bothered!

what can i do? Frown

Try hand- feed her meals. Dogs often will have a 'master' and they will often choose it themselves especially someone who give them food. Do a 'come' command training before meals for few days. Make sure your dog is really hungry while doing it. Don't over feed your dog beforehand. In a dog's world, they normally search for food. In my family, my my husband as 'master' and I come in second, if he's around.

Make feeding her your job and yours alone. If you are the only one to feed her, you will soon be her fav person. Give her the best kibble/treat/toys and lure it piece by piece, and talk nicely.

Goodluck and be patient.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Apr 24, 2007, 8:14 PM

Post #3 of 9 (2721 views)
Shortcut

since u mentioned that she will come when ur holding some food...

try calling her at odd times or when she least expected it....everytime u call her, give her a pat or hug, b4 giving out the treats...

then after few days, try calling her, but hide ur treats in d pocket....if she come towards to u without noticing d treats, give her a pat n then rewards her wit food...

after prolonges period.....try calling but decrease the food offeing...

i bet next time, whenever u call her name, she will rush to u, thinking that there might be food offeing...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Apr 24, 2007, 8:15 PM)

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Apr 26, 2007, 11:43 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Is she a young puppy? Coz from the vavigator pic, she looks like a pup to me. Well, my dog Amber was like too when we first adopted her. No matter what we do, clap our hands, stomp our feet or call her name, there was no use. She would never come to us. But you mentioned that she will come to you if you have food in your hands right?

Well, start using the food & treats to good use. Use it as a reward. Call her name, do what ever you can & show her the food in your hands. The moment she comes toward you praise her like crazy like you've never seen her for months! Do it for five repetitions then give her a break. Do this many times a day UNTILL she learns the command come.

Remember, if you teach her the COME command, it's gotta be exciting! She must know that every time you ask her to come to you, she's gonna get something real delicious. Oh and one more thing you must know is, when you want to scold her for something she's does wrong, never I repeat NEVER use the word come & then beat her or scold her. The come word is always for something that's rewarding not punishment. If you want to scold her or whatever, just go towards her & do so NOT call her to come to you & then you scold her. I hope I've made myself very clear here...

Oh yes and, since she's still a young pup & you just got her a weeks ago & maybe a month ago, she still won't know her name. Some dogs learn their name fast some slow just like my Amber. But now ofcourse she's 1 year plus now & she knows her name even if I just saw Ber, she turns around & looks at me.

Okay, just some tips from me. Hope it'll work out with you & your dog! Good luck & tell me how it goes yah? Tata!

Cheers!

princessmisha
Novice

May 4, 2007, 10:50 PM

Post #5 of 9 (2644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] Attitude girl [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, thank you so much for the advise. Actually that is what we have been doing all this while but probably not totally the right way. I dunno, i feel she has got a mind of its own. She will only come when she wants to come and not that she needs to. Well i guess i have to keep on trying... thanks again.

princessmisha
Novice

May 4, 2007, 10:55 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Attitude girl [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there. Thank you so much for sharing. You will not believe how stubborn my girl is. We have done all that you have mentioned. Yes, she comes to us..... only when she wants to come to us and not that she needs to! It makes me really mad but what the heck.... i guessed i have to continue trying until one day some miracle happens. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

princessmisha
Novice

May 4, 2007, 11:11 PM

Post #7 of 9 (2642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Attitude girl [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there, misha is oredi 1 year 3 months old today. when we first brought her to the vet (when misha was only 2 months old), we were told that she has an attitude. In actual words, the vet said "your girls has a mind of its own. b careful how u deal wif her". Misha is a fun, affectionate and adorable girl except for the attitude issues. Like my earlier message, 1) she doesnt answer/come to us 2) show us she is not happy by doing her dirty business everywhere around the house and chewing things up. Anyway, i have noted your advise and by the way thanks for highlighting that we shouldnt scold or whack her and at the same time use the word 'COME'. I believe we have used it one too many times. Is it too late to train her as per your advise? She may be confused with the word 'COME' now.

By the way, misha is up to something else these days. We just moved to a 2 storey terrace house (previously stayed in a condo). She has got two huge cages (one upstairs and one downstairs) where she does her business. The great thing is she STILL does her business in the cage but the BAD thing is she doesnt empty her tank. She will walked around the house and leave trails of her SHEE SHEE everywhere...... i really lost count of the amount of hours i spent a day cleaning up. Makes me so tired and angryMad. She just walks around like nothing. Gosh...... Even when we lock her up in the cage for 10 minutes every time she SHEE SHEE hoping that she will empty her tank but the moment we release her.... she will start to leak! HELP HELP HELP

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

May 6, 2007, 5:11 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2615 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm... what a big big mistake! It's okay, you can retrain her to come towards you happily without feeling scared or unsure. Go back to basic! Don't be afraid to go back to basic! Use treats to make her come towards you & just praise & throw her ball/toy or maybe pop a treat in her mouth. After a while, you'll see her come towards you when you ask her to without any hesitation you know...? Just bare this in mind yah, never use the word COME to scold or correct her for sumthing she has done wrong. She must associate the word COME as something exciting & rewarding. I've mentioned this in my previous post. But if you're a first time dog owner, it's okay to make mistakes once in awhile. I was like you when I first got my 1st Golden, Amber. 1st dog ever in my life! She got really terrified of me & would just run into the study room. And when I come towards her to make her come out, she would just tuck her tail between her legs, with her ears back. So please, don't make the same mistake as I did before.

Now, as for the peeing problem in the house, hmmm... I can't help much with that coz my dog's were never like that from the day we adopted them. I mean, they did make a few mistakes in the house but that's about it. The rest of the time, they would just pee in the porch & of course grass too when we bring them out for their daily walks. Well, the only thing I can think of is your dog's either very excited being in the house that she can't control her bladder or she's marking. Some female dogs do mark too... I don't really know how to help you with this. Hopefully someone here can. But I hope the COME thingy will help you... Just go back to step one. Don't worry! She will learn the command real fast BUT you mustn't go into the habit of calling her & scolding/punishing her. Break that habit!

Cheers

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on May 6, 2007, 5:14 AM)

zephyros
Canine Addict

Oct 24, 2007, 10:01 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2319 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
By the way, misha is up to something else these days. We just moved to a 2 storey terrace house (previously stayed in a condo). She has got two huge cages (one upstairs and one downstairs) where she does her business. The great thing is she STILL does her business in the cage but the BAD thing is she doesnt empty her tank. She will walked around the house and leave trails of her SHEE SHEE everywhere...... i really lost count of the amount of hours i spent a day cleaning up. Makes me so tired and angryMad. She just walks around like nothing. Gosh...... Even when we lock her up in the cage for 10 minutes every time she SHEE SHEE hoping that she will empty her tank but the moment we release her.... she will start to leak! HELP HELP HELP

ok maybe she got the wrong message somewhere along the line. when she drips, how far does she drip? also when u clean her drips what do you use? please check there are no ammonia in your detergent. if her drips are not that far, try putting a weepad outside her cage. so when she comes out she drips onto the weepad instead. not the best solution but might help with your problem. one more way is that she needs to learn that if she leaks = lock down. but advisably not do this as she might hate the crate. at the same time she will might learn that if she leaks = lock down. maybe u can try alternative to her crate since the crate is supposed to be your dog's sanctuary

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my