Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
HELP! Toy poodle screeching when kept in cage!

cindy_pebbles

Apr 13, 2007, 6:25 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2860 views)
Shortcut
HELP! Toy poodle screeching when kept in cage! Can't Post

Hi guys! I have just bought a female 2mths old toy poodle, Jessie and she is very cute, manja, active and brave! She could even climb up the stairs to look for me (Benji, my MS could only do it when he was 4 months old and that was with lotsa training and guidance! :p). However, I have one BIG problem with her... I can't lock her in her crate (when she wasn't sleepy) coz she kept screaming (sounded like a baby's cry) and screeching (which was SOOOOOOO loud that Benji also can't tahan her!).. How like that? I thought that maybe she has separation anxiety like Benji and bring her cage with me to sleep but she won't unless I was sitting beside her cage. If I sleep on my bed, she starts screaming again! Off the lights, screaming again! Goodness... man, not enuf sleep these days... anyone can help me out? Coz she is not toilet-trained yet so i think it's not advisable to let her roam freely right? But she is sooooooo loud and I am afraid of disturbing my neighbours!! I thought Benji was noisy with his howling when he was a puppy but once he was in the same room with me, he kept quiet and sleep until I woke up. Keke.. Now i see Benji in a whole new light...tada!Frown
Anyone with this experience, can teach me how?
PS: Am afraid they might now like each other or that Benji will get jealous. But he seemed to sayang her alot... :)

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Apr 13, 2007, 8:31 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] HELP! Toy poodle screeching when kept in cage! [In reply to] Can't Post

u can try keepin both benji & jessie in the same crate for a few mins. gradually increase the time inside...treat both if both are good, treat benji if he's good...treat jessie if she's good...actually jessie should be learnin from benji in no time...she'l be lookin up on benji as the alpha

cheers

ezekiel 25:17

cindy_pebbles

Apr 14, 2007, 12:28 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] HELP! Toy poodle screeching when kept in cage! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, i tried it yesterday. Benji just kept quiet and look at her. She will be trying to get out of the crate, climbing here and there... and screeching sooo loud that i also almost pekak! Haha..yeah, maybe will try with the treats and all... :)
I m afraid Jessie will be the alpha instead! Haha.. is it possible? Benji seemed soo..mild mannered... very proud of him that he can take it so well... :)
Lucky tomorrow is sat...at least can train her more...

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Apr 16, 2007, 10:15 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] HELP! Toy poodle screeching when kept in cage! [In reply to] Can't Post

it doesnt matter which one is gonna be the alpha, as long as u let both know that ur in charge...be persistent & good luck

ezekiel 25:17

zephyros
Canine Addict

Oct 24, 2007, 9:51 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2639 views)
Shortcut

if u recently brought the pup back it's normal. it's a new environment for it. have not adapted to it yet. my pup took a good 2 days to get used to it. he cried like it was the end of the world every 2 hours. not really separation anxiety, more towards loneliness for now. he was born with a litter + mom. then he's alone. assuming u got your pup from a shop there are other dogs there, maybe ur pup got used to the noise and now it's so quiet so he's just afraid. in another post of yours, maybe u can try the kong toy/food with ur pup.alternative what i did was, wear the puppy out..tire him. pups need lots of rest. another way if u intend to put both ur dogs together in the future, u can start putting them together now actually. my pup does well with the maltese. night time they sleep together, day time i separate them. but this will change slowly, they will be separated even night time soon. as the pup grows more confident, he'll start to learn being by himself. be firm...but also be mindful of your neighbours. avoid letting your pup learn the wrong things, then correcting them. what they don't learn, they can't use against you. so prevent all the wrong behaviours by adapting to their right behaviours. make them do the right thing the first time.

potter

Oct 25, 2007, 4:08 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2634 views)
Shortcut

I think some pups just doesn't like and refused to be crated especially with more intelligent breeds such as the poodles who can figure things out themselves. Some say to crate them and let them cry and whine and ignore them and they will learn that your not giving in. Personally, my puppy were used to being crated and a few months later he never want to be crated anymore even for a few seconds/minutes but in my case, I know I can trust him with his "business" and he never chew anything else but his chew toys even when he was young so he gets a free run of the house even when I go out of course with the exception that garbage, medicine are out of reach and electrical cords are sprayed with bitter apple spray which he totally hates. Sorry I can't be of much help just sharing my experience.

Edited to add: Also, my doggie can never be crated anyways. He is a world class jumper and jumps over his puppy gate like its a toy.
potter

www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=410379

(This post was edited by potter on Oct 25, 2007, 4:10 PM)

smokey774
Novice

Nov 18, 2007, 7:12 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2582 views)
Shortcut

i actuallly have had the same problem..ecexpt my howling pup is a large howling pup!! lol but what i told another memeber is praising your pup when she is in her crate and yes it is normal for her to whine cus she will be a little lonely but it is important for her to have that crate and its not cruel.

place her in the crate and praise her and say good girl go to bed or some opther phrase for bed. do this continuously and when its time for bed throw some treats in there for her. when training throw treats in and when she goes in to retrieve them praise her and say something like "good girl bed!" and keep oing this..you can also try giving her meals in her crate. so when she gets used to that try closing the door and then opening it and giving her a treat, with each session leave the door closed longer. she should begin to associate her crate with fun and good memories. and dogs live by repitition so if you keep teachiong the same way she should learn pretty quickly. as for her whining during the night, the above should help a lot (it will also help her not be spoiled) you can try putting a blanket over the crate: if she cant see anything, there is nothing to bark at! totally worked for me actually just tried it for the first time today. osmosis whines and whines but i put the bblanket over it and hadnt heard a peep out of him the whole time. see dogs cant quite understand that if the blanket is on, the rest of the world is still going. he hears my voice but for some reason cus he cant see me, its like there is nothing for him to bark at cus he sees to one to give him the attention. be careful however, my pup ozzie tears when he is anxious adn he did pull somer opf the stuffing from the blanket out and ripped it up (he pulled part of it into his crate) so if she does that make sure its an old blanket.

i am fairly confident that this will work for you! the most importsnt thing to remember is that dogs are really simple minded:

. using treats can help a dog overcome anything

. if they cant see whats going on oputside the crate, they wont bark at it

hope this helps!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my