Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
i stay alone, but I want to have a puppy

cheese7179
Novice

Apr 11, 2007, 10:16 PM

Post #1 of 15 (1672 views)
Shortcut
i stay alone, but I want to have a puppy Can't Post

Hi, I am new here. I had dogs more than 10 years ago and never have dogs till now. I work and stay alone. I want to have a puppy. Appreciate the forumers here advice me which type of puppy is suitable for me. The most important is they are easy to maintain. I saw a post under adoption posted by Irene, and I am very keen to it, they are kind of mix mongrel with doberman.Please advice. Thank you

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 11, 2007, 10:40 PM

Post #2 of 15 (1671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cheese7179] i stay alone, but I want to have a puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

MinPin, Pug & MS will be idea for you.

Just a suggestion.

YanYan
Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2007, 2:58 AM

Post #3 of 15 (1655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cheese7179] i stay alone, but I want to have a puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

cheese7179

Well, you can always choose to adopt a puppy rather than purchase it at pet shops.

There are lots of homeless puppies that need a caring owner and a good home. Please consider about this.

As for me pure breed and mix breed is the same,as long as you have the willingness to take care of the pup is already

very goodSmile

cheese7179
Novice

Apr 12, 2007, 7:18 PM

Post #4 of 15 (1637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [YanYan] i stay alone, but I want to have a puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you. I think i will choose to adopt.

However, my concern is - how to take care of it in when I am at work. I cant bring my puppy to office

But i really want to have one ...

Can I allocate a room for it with window open and close the door . So it has more space to walk around as compare to put in the cage?

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 13, 2007, 12:18 AM

Post #5 of 15 (1628 views)
Shortcut

hi, when u r working and staying alone, keeping a dog really needs patience and understanding... it may take weeks or even months for the dog to get used to your routine... u must be ready to come home from work, no matter how tired you are, to clean up any mess that your dog may have done... and then u must dedicate some of your time to play with the dog, walk the dog, talk to the dog...

the first few days or weeks when u just took the dog home, the dog may be scared being left alone, so he may cry, whine, bark... so it'll be good if u can hv a few days from work, take the dog home during a weekend and maybe take 1 or 2 days off... train the dog that it's ok when u leave him home alone... start with, say, 10 minutes, and increase the separation time gradually...

personally i prefer to allocate a room for the dog if u hv the space... instead of closing the door, maybe u could buy a gate designed to confine kids... costs less than rm100... and yes, make sure the room is well ventilated... place water, towels and toys in the room...

a puppy will require more work as compared to an adult dog... an adult dog will be able to control his bladder better, so you may take him out once in the morning before u go to work, and once when u get home from work... a puppy needs to be taken out to do his business more often...

the above are all my personal experiences... i adopted an adult dog almost 4 years ago and the beginning was really hard work... there was a time when i even want to give up but i didn't and now my dog is my life... can't imagine life without her... i am now also fostering a puppy and yes, you must have more patience and energy with them as they are really like little kids...

so do think and plan carefully before getting a dog... if you really love dogs, go for it coz they are the best thing that u could have... u'll not regret all the hard work and pee/ poo cleaning... they are worth everything...

all the best! Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

cheese7179
Novice

Apr 13, 2007, 1:14 AM

Post #6 of 15 (1621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] i stay alone, but I want to have a puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Ainey,

Thank you for sharing your experience and suggestion.

I always want to keep a dog with me. But for the past , I stayed with my family and i was not allow to keep one.

And Now, I finally have my own home. I stay alone and I want to have a dog with me. One worry is I am afraid that I I didnt provide it a sufficient time.

After reading your comment, I think I could have one and I should ready for any "" mess "" in my house ..and "dont spend too much time in the office.Sly

For getting a adult dog, I am not sure how long it would take to get used with me ? since if I only be at home around 6 pm ( the earliest ) ?

Do you have any problem getting along with your dog that you adopted some years ago?

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 13, 2007, 1:52 AM

Post #7 of 15 (1617 views)
Shortcut

sometimes i feel guilty too and unfair to the dog becoz i work more than 8 hrs a day... but i also tell myself this - at least the dog now has a good home and owner who loves her very very much n not end up in a shelter, on the street or being put to sleep coz no one wants her...

after i had my dog, i sacrificed my girls night out, mamak, movie time just to be with my dog... since i do not hv much time to be with her on weekdays, i try to stay home as much as i can to accompany her... some say it's silly, but that's just me... my dog is my everything...

my dog has the whole house to run around from the beginning, i never confine her... it took quite a long time for her to know where to do her business, so last time i always came home from work looking at pee n poo on the floor... no choice but to clean up lo... and every night she sleeps with me in my room, not on my bed, but on her own bed on the floor besides my bed...

no problem getting along at all, except the first few weeks when she was not used to being left alone... when u put in a lot of effort, time and love in making it happen, the dog will know that he is being loved...

i didn't plan on getting a pug and didn't know their personality until after i got her home... i was lucky that i adopted a pug because she fits my lifestyle perfectly... if u plan on adopting a pure breed, take some time to research on the breed's characteristics and personality... if it's a mixed breed/ mongrel that u plan to adopt, it's hard to tell so u must spend some time with the dog and get to know him/ more details from the current owner/ fosterer... in any case, i strongly suggest that u adopt n not buy... there are just too many homeless animals around so why not save a life? Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

janthk
Canine Addict

Apr 21, 2007, 7:39 AM

Post #8 of 15 (1561 views)
Shortcut

Hi! I am the same as you. I work at least 12 hours a day and I stay alone too. 2 years ago, I decided to get myself a dog and to this day, there has never even been a single ounce of regret. He is my life now and I cant imagine life without him. When I first got him, I took 3 days off work just for him to get use to me and the apartment. Yes I live in an apartment by the way. Tongue During the 3 days, I leave the house for short time periods just so that he can get use to being on his own at home. After that, all was smooth sailing all the way.

However, my weekends belongs to my dog. We go makan together, go for classes together, jungle trackking together and sometimes we even go for swims together (Although this happens only when I go back to Penang). He goes whereever I go most of the time during weekends.

I believe if there is a will there is always a way. Just make sure your love for dogs is real and you wont mind having to make sacrifices for them.

Good luck in your quest!!

mbless
K9 Kaki

Apr 22, 2007, 4:17 AM

Post #9 of 15 (1548 views)
Shortcut

Hi... currently I have a 5 mths pup... fully vacinated and neut. He is crate trained, toilet trained and a good dog. He is a mixed breed, jet black colour. He needs a good home and a gentle owner. No need hard and strong voice to reprimand him... just a soft no no. He is one our best fostered pup. His name is Jasper. If you know you can give him a good home please call me at 012 6775627. He is very special. He is a rescue pup.

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Apr 23, 2007, 12:06 PM

Post #10 of 15 (1530 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi, I am new here. I had dogs more than 10 years ago and never have dogs till now. I work and stay alone. I want to have a puppy. Appreciate the forumers here advice me which type of puppy is suitable for me. The most important is they are easy to maintain. I saw a post under adoption posted by Irene, and I am very keen to it, they are kind of mix mongrel with doberman.Please advice. Thank you

Wanting to get a puppy is very tempting....they are just so darn cute. BUT you have to be willing to take care of them...they are a lot of work. If you do decide to get one though, the breed or size would depend on the type of environment you have to keep them in. I have a Choc Lab and he the sweetest animals in the world. But then again, mixed bred is just as good. Adopt one from a shelter. They're usually the best kinds to have! They are normally abused or abandoned dogs who desperately need someone to love them and give them a home.

So pretty much, I guess it would just depend on the time, money, and space your have to put up with, keep, and spend on the dog.

I hope you find my input helpful. Good luck!!

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Apr 23, 2007, 12:07 PM)

cheese7179
Novice

Apr 23, 2007, 5:47 PM

Post #11 of 15 (1522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mbless] i stay alone, but I want to have a puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi... currently I have a 5 mths pup... fully vacinated and neut. He is crate trained, toilet trained and a good dog. He is a mixed breed, jet black colour. He needs a good home and a gentle owner. No need hard and strong voice to reprimand him... just a soft no no. He is one our best fostered pup. His name is Jasper. If you know you can give him a good home please call me at 012 6775627. He is very special. He is a rescue pup.

thank you Mbless... it would be good if you reply earlier. I already adopted one a week ago from rescue. She is 4 mths + and still very manja.. naughty...I really have to scold and bit with newspaper ( my last choice !! ) she still not scared!!! she only scare the person who take care of her previously from rescue..I really have hard time with her .. and I am learning to displine her.

she likes to go out .. she ran away few times... but i found her back... then... and last choice again ..tied her up..

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Apr 23, 2007, 7:37 PM

Post #12 of 15 (1514 views)
Shortcut

it's like that lor....just have to be extra patient lor cos of the puppy's previous history. Such rescued dogs usually needs a lot of rehabilitiation.

But GOOD LUCK!! Gambatei!!!

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

cheese7179
Novice

Apr 23, 2007, 8:00 PM

Post #13 of 15 (1510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] i stay alone, but I want to have a puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all,

Thanks for the courage and advice...

hehe.. i was actually given one week try to the pup.. but now... i think it;s their strategy lah... after one week... no matter how naughty girl she is ... i will still keep her.. ..

dont know lah.. she looks kind of pity and innocent... and I just feel so sayang to let her back and change owner .again... ..so I decided to keep her ...and displine her hopefully..one day very soon she will really listen to me and behave well.

mbless
K9 Kaki

Apr 25, 2007, 3:00 AM

Post #14 of 15 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Hey not a problem... Jasper will be going to his new home this weekend. I still have the sister and another rescue pup. Please pass word around for me. We also have an adult male, great temperament. All mongrels but they are lovely dogs.
Enjoy your pup. Be patient, they will turn out fine.

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Apr 30, 2007, 6:50 PM

Post #15 of 15 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Just have to be patient any dog can be a good dog.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my