IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
How to train my babe poodle

tanmoon

Apr 6, 2007, 12:23 AM

Post #1 of 11 (2197 views)
Shortcut
How to train my babe poodle Can't Post

I just get a little poodle and right now i want to train her how to do her business at the toilet. The problem is I don't know where and how to train her. Anybody can help me to solve my problem. Right now she just pee everywhere inside the house and i just keeping cleaning the floor. HELP ME before my sister coming back in a one month time.Crazy I try to train her before but maybe my toilet was too far from the living room so she cannot locate it. Another thing is only when i bring her to the toilet she will pee and poo at there but if i not bring her she will do it anywhere. I just want to learn the proper way to train a dog to toilet.

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Apr 6, 2007, 9:27 PM

Post #2 of 11 (2183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tanmoon] How to train my babe poodle [In reply to] Can't Post

first of all, if you've searched hard enough through this section alone, i'm sure you could have gotten some guidelines to help you with your problem. Once you've read thru every single post in this Pee and Poo Problem section alone and still the problem persist, then only you should start a new thread.

Your problem is faced by many new furkid owners and it has been repeated again and again and again in this section alone. So it will be great if you could have done a little research on your side.

The thing you need to do now, is put ur puppy in the toilet after feeding her lah. Dont let her/him out until that fella is done with its business. If it's doing at a forbidden place, SCOLD kau kau and use a squirt bottle and squirt water on its face if you do not want to smack backside. The key in all this routine, PERSISTENCY. You have to be persistent. No point today, tomorrow and the day after you eye on the fella like an eagle, trying to catch every single mistake it makes and then subsequent days, on and off only scold. Habis lah like that. Have to repeat Step 1 all over again.

Good luck ok. Be patient, be persistent and be stern!

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

tanmoon

Apr 7, 2007, 6:07 PM

Post #3 of 11 (2170 views)
Shortcut
Babe [In reply to] Can't Post

I have go through every single work in this forum. Right now i put a newspaper in the toilet and whenever my babe finish her meal i will bring her to toilet and she will pee and poo at there. And it success to train her cos i saw her went to the toilet a few times by herself. But the problem is from morning till afternoon there's nobody at home sometimes she will pee and poo at other places inside the house instead of the toilet. Everytime i come home from work i will check the whole house to make sure there no pee and poo everywhere. But unlucky sometimes i found it at the living room and sometimes at the toilet too. Is my way of the training occured any mistake. For your information babe has been one week with me and everytime she do in the wrong place i will scold and hit the floor in fiercely way to warn her. But she still didn't get it She just keep playing and jumping around my hand when i do that. aiyoh how leh??? Somemore if i rotan her my husband will scold me and said her born was so tiny and u want to broke her born ar.

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Apr 9, 2007, 8:19 PM

Post #4 of 11 (2160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tanmoon] Babe [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmmmm when u scold her and hit the floor fiercely and she is still jumping around you.....that means wrong already lor...when you scold her, she is suppose to go into submissive mode, sit quietly, lie down and stare at you with an innocent look. Not jumping around and trying to get you to play with her. Crazy

Maybe ur tone of voice is wrong, maybe hitting the floor don work. So change method lor. Different dogs react differently to different training method. Some are scared of noise but looks like urs is not. So you have to try another way. Try getting a squirt bottle or water pistol and water jet its face lah. Most dogs do not like getting their face wet. Don target directly at its eyes and nose lah, but kena a bit never mind one lah. They are not that fragile ok. They will run before you can even break a bone on them lah. Its call ANIMAL INSTINCT.

The next time you find a pressie at its wrong spot, drag ur lil princess to the crime scene, grab hold of her neck like how a bitch would carry her puppies, and scold her lor. Smack her face a lil, smack her backside a lil, hit her thigh part lah, no one ask u to hit her ribs. Find the fleshiest part and smack only. My dog whack his butt whack until kebal already. The minute i lift my hands wanna smack his backside, he slowly put his ass down so the momentum is reduced. You have to make ur dog respect you. Know when to play with you and when to behave! She has to see you as a leader and not as something of her level. But here you scold scold scold, there ur husband sayang sayang, aiyoo habis lah.....the poor fella will get confused. So you gotta work it out with ur husband first, when you scold, he also gotta show anger lah..then only the fella will be scared mah.

So GL ok....keep us updated.

Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

tanmoon

Apr 12, 2007, 5:26 PM

Post #5 of 11 (2140 views)
Shortcut
it work [In reply to] Can't Post

hey buddy u know what? my babe right now mostly pee & poo at the toilet. Got one or two times only she do her business in the wrong place. I just follow your instruction. I grab her to the scene and punish her. And of course i whack her pet pet also and a squirt some water to her face. But i think she not scared of the waterUnsure Cos everytime i squirt the water to her face she will sit down there and look at me unless when i whack her she only will runaway. But she only with me for two weeks and i happy that she can do her business already in the toilet althought sometimes in the wrong place. When i was not at home and go to work i not need to worry somemore cos there's no crime scene in my house and i found it in the toilet only. But sometimes i got puzzle also why she won't do it at the toilet. Did she want us to pay more attention to her? What u think?

tanmoon

Apr 21, 2007, 5:53 PM

Post #6 of 11 (2117 views)
Shortcut
terrible [In reply to] Can't Post

oh terrible!!!!! Since my sister come home for two days my babe just pee and poo everywhere inside the house. What happening?? Is my sister keep playing with her too much??? I need to retrain her all over again

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Apr 22, 2007, 5:41 PM

Post #7 of 11 (2105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tanmoon] terrible [In reply to] Can't Post

excited kua....my pup at home also like that...when too excited will simply pee and poo anywhere and everywhere....but when he realises it, he will auto go to toilet or on newspaper or wait till go out to garden. But lately he has been doing his business whenever i let them out in the garden.

Just be patient and still continue to train lor...but don expect the pup to tahan pee and poo like an adult dog ok....i think i took almost half a year to be 99% sure my big dog would not do his business indoors and only outdoors. As for the puppy in my househouse now...if out of 5 times he poos/pees, 3 of those is done either in the toilet or outdoors, considered very good liao lor... the other 2, i'll be lucky if he doesnt do it on the carpet or rugs. Wink

So just be patient lah...and try not to get the puppy to overly excited lor. if the puppy is too excited, just ignore the fella...they will learn not be too excited with time and hence no more uncontrolled pee pee or poo poo lor....hahahah

Gambatei!!!

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Apr 23, 2007, 11:51 AM

Post #8 of 11 (2093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tanmoon] How to train my babe poodle [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I just get a little poodle and right now i want to train her how to do her business at the toilet. The problem is I don't know where and how to train her. Anybody can help me to solve my problem. Right now she just pee everywhere inside the house and i just keeping cleaning the floor. HELP ME before my sister coming back in a one month time.Crazy I try to train her before but maybe my toilet was too far from the living room so she cannot locate it. Another thing is only when i bring her to the toilet she will pee and poo at there but if i not bring her she will do it anywhere. I just want to learn the proper way to train a dog to toilet.

Establishing a routine with your dog is essential to good training. Your routine should include feeding times, bathroom breaks, playtimes, training and timeouts.

Having a young pup is just like having a small child when it comes to potty training. Young pups, just like young children have very underdeveloped bladders. A young child does not necessarily know when they need to go to the bathroom until they are doing it. The same thing applies to your young pup. If only it was as easy to control your pups peeing on the floor as it is to control your child’s peeing on the floor. Your child generally wears a diaper if they are not potty trained, but putting a diaper on your pup is very impractical and darn near impossible. How long do you think a diaper would actually last on your pup’s backside before it is ripped off and shredded? If your pup is anything like mine, about 30 seconds. There is an easy way to know when your pup may need to go to the bathroom. Depending on your pup’s water intake, and amount of exercise, this chart can help you keep your floors and carpets protected from your pets bathroom habits.

Approximate age to hours your pup is able to hold their bladders starting at 8 weeks of age, (General time your pup will enter your home to begin your lives together.) 8 -12 weeks of age (2 - 3 months of age) = 30 mins 12 - 16 weeks of age (3 - 4 months of age) = 45 mins to 1 hour 16 - 24 weeks of age (4 - 6 months of age) = 11/2 to 3 hours 24 - 36 weeks of age (6 - 9 months of age) = 31/2 to 6 hours 36 + weeks of age (9 months to 1 year+) = 6 to 10 hours.

These times may vary with your dog. Different breeds mature at different times in their life. A small breed dog matures faster than a large breed dog, so your large breed dog may need more frequent ‘bathroom-breaks’. It is always a good practice to take your pup out every 30mins to 1hour when you are home, even when they are older. Repeatedly letting your dog out will solidify your training efforts. When training your pup to go to the bathroom outside it is good to establish a routine as well as some familiar words to coach your pup into the right behavior. Every time you take your pup outside to go to the bathroom use the same spot as much as possible. The familiar smell of their urine will help them recognize that this is the spot to ‘go’. When you take your pup outside to 'go', say to your pup, "Go pee." or some other similar phrase over and over again until they actually start to go.

With using this phrase over and over again the dog comes to realize that this word means to 'go pee' and you will have a dog that will pee almost on command. When they start to 'go' use the phrase again with a 'good dog' added. Give your pup lots of praise when they are done and possibly a treat. Praise is one of the most useful training tools you can use. Dogs respond better to praise than yelling. Just like us, dogs like to be praised for something they do right and strive to achieve praise.

With established potty times, using the 'go pee' words and lots of praise your pup will come to understand where it is acceptable to 'go pee' and where it is not. This will make your life a lot easier and your bond between you and your dog will grow stronger. You should never give your pup the full run of the house, even when you are home, and never when your not home.

Set up a medium to large crate for your pup in your house. If you don’t have a crate, a bathroom or laundry room will do, any place in the house that has easy to clean floors. Place towels or blankets, food and water bowls, a few toys and newspaper or absorbent ‘doggy’ pads in your dogs space. This area should be warm and inviting to your dog. Just like us, your dog needs its own area to relax. Giving them this space gives your dog a place to go when things become stressful for them, like when you have company over that may be to loud for them. This will also restrict the area your pup has to make a mess. It is against a dog’s nature to urinate or defecate in the same area they sleep in. Give your dog a big enough space so that they can ‘do their business’ away from their sleeping area. Some people take their pups out for long walks to tire them out before they leave them home alone.

Extra exercise requires extra water intake, which will increase your pups urination and accidents in the home when left alone. If you feel the need to exercise your pup before you go out, do this a good hour and a half to two hours before you plan to leave. Let your pup out a few times before you leave to make sure they have emptied their bladder as much as possible.

Remember your pup will have accidents, but with a little time and effort you will have a happy new addition to your family and a clean comfortable home.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Apr 23, 2007, 11:55 AM)

cindy_pebbles

Apr 27, 2007, 5:30 PM

Post #9 of 11 (2064 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] terrible [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, need your advise over here. I have a 2.5months old toy poodle, a female. The thing is, when she wanna pee, she doesn't show any "symptom" and it all happens very fast! Even her pee is like..um..50 cents coin size only, sometimes just a few drops. Hehe. Not enough time for me to bring her to the toilet. I tried bringing her to the toilet and actually waited like 30 minutes in the hot and stuffy toilet, kept saying "Peepee" but she just sat there, looking at me, and then dozed off! The second I let her out, she terus pee in front of the toilet door! Yicks!
The last time when I trained Benji (my male MS), he showed a lot of warning, like sniffing and turning around so I can quickly grab him and put him in the toilet. ALso, somehow his pee is more so even while he is pee-ing halfway, I can still grab him to the toilet for him to continue. For Jessie (toy poodle), it's kinda hard for me. How? Any idea? For poo-ing, she is ok coz she does turn around and sniffing and running very fast around the house before she poo.
Is it different between female and male when they wanna pee?
Also, can you help me out with this. After we got JEssie, Benji kept having pee smell around his nose n moustaches! I m not sure what he did..like smelling her private part or smelling his own pee (or soaking in them) coz these days, he stinks! His body and head are all nice, just his nose part. Can you please help me coz I think this is disgusting and I don't like to hug him with all this smell. I tried wiping with those baby wipes or even washing with water but the smell will still be there. Unless, I bath him which i tried to limit to once a week. Any idea?
PS: I used to lock Benji up in the crate before we got Jessie. But now, i let him run free in the room with an attached bathroom. Maybe he got nothing to do and go smelling his pee as a hobby?

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

May 1, 2007, 5:48 PM

Post #10 of 11 (2036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] terrible [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL....gizmo also like that. I just scold and squirt water at his face. Drag him to the pee pee spot and squirt squirt squirt somemore lah. Now, everytime he does his business at the wrong place and know he did something wrong, just grab hold of him only, not yet scold, not yet squirt sudah kua kua ciao already. Like the whole world is crumbling down on him. Belum lagi scold tau. Repeat a few times, the last 2 days, i've noticed he either does his business in the cage on newspaper or toilet or outdoors. Must be stern lah....they cry or whine or yelp, dont bother. They'll learn after a while.

Male or female pee got difference one meh? Besides the stance, i think if in terms of volume, male should have more pee than female lor....aiya...humans also like that what. Guys got more pee than girls one, somehow bigger bladder mah....

Could be Benji is sniffing out Jessie's pee and her private areas. Somemore MS got misai, sure basah lor. So everytime he tries to sniff her, whack him, scold him, squirt squirt squirt.....after a few times, he wont bother liao. Rascal also like that at first, the minute i catch him sniffing gizmo's pee or his private area, he is for deep shit. Now he doesnt bother what the small ones does. As long as it doesnt get him into trouble. Sly

I'll say it's not a hobby but if not controlled now will become a bad habit. He's just curious. Usually he is alone mah, the only pee and poo he smell is his very own one. Now comes another dog, FEMALE lagi, different hormone smell, so he curious lor. Sniff more lor....but better rectify it before it becomes a habit.

wibbly
Dog Kichi

Jun 18, 2007, 11:06 PM

Post #11 of 11 (1843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tanmoon] terrible [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!

Dun wori. It's like that with puppies. Sometimes will relapse to old habit, then u gotta retrain again. It also took many, many months before my puppy really could be trusted to be left on her own advances without any accidents. :)

I use newspaper on a tray which i have now moved to the toilet. Actually i started off by placing the tray in the living room n slowly moved it to the back where the toilet is. Now wherever the tray is, she will go there to do her business, even in places other than my house.

Now having toilet training headache again with my new doggy. He's older (7 months already) n previous owner never train at all. So it's back to cleaning poo n pee all over the house again. Crazy

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my