Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
Housetraining

Kii
Novice

Apr 3, 2007, 8:00 AM

Post #1 of 3 (856 views)
Shortcut
Housetraining Can't Post

Me and my parents are getting the headache to housetrain Nici. We'd read through the internet and asked some dog trainer expert. We know there's this paper training method but there's some difficulty that we are facing:

1. We placed a stack of newspaper in the toilet and tried to pujuk her to pee and poo in the toilet but she refuse to do so. Only successfully pee and poo a few times....I think 20% only. -_- and then the rest pee and poo everywhere around the house.

2. When she pooed, she tend to sniff her own poo and then ate them back....ewwwww....I scolded her and spank her little butt but she still did this a few times. I really can pengsan lar liddat. So kotor...

3. Nici only 1.5months old. She still don't really understand when we scold her or when we said 'NO'. She's oso not afraid of the rotan, coz my dad only hit the floor beside her to scare her. But no use lar. Nici really naughty...>_<

Please, need all your expert advise. Nici is a shih-tzu/maltese mix. Should be clever ger ma....T_T

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Apr 3, 2007, 11:01 PM

Post #2 of 3 (848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kii] Housetraining [In reply to] Can't Post

Get the Squirt bottle or water pistol. Must be powerful jet-like stream and not those misty ones. Do something wrong, squirt its face. Aims at its head. It's harmless cos it's water and most dogs hates it when their face is wet. That was my teaching tool for a very long time till the day my dog realises he can challenge the squirt bottle. So upgrade to newspapers.

Whenever she does it right on the newspaper, PRAISE her kaukau, give her nice treats like Beggin' Strips (my dog loves that), belly rubs and kisses lor. Dont just pat her head and say Good Girl. Cheh....so pah-liah....my dog also wont do anything for me if i just pat his head and say Good Boy. Wink Whe she does it at the wrong spot, squirt water at her face and at the same time SCOLD scold scold scold. Dont touch her, dont layan her at all. Better still, whole family scold. Its useless if you scold kau kau and there goes one person kesian the fella and sayang the fella. Habis lah like that. Pirate Ang mohs believe in correcting them red-handed. Once it's done and past, forget it wor. Pirate

My way , if it's done and past, I'll drag him to the crime scene which he will most probably try to bury his legs into the ground and glue his whole body down as to not let me drag his ass to the crime scene, let him see, smell whatever mess he left there and scold him. Now that he is older, fatter and bigger size, I smack his ass too. Of cos please don even lay a finger on a dog as small as a shi-tzu or maltese ok.

as for the poo eating habit, i've read a lot places and most say they do that initially out of stress and later will become a bad habit if uncorrected. I'll try getting her a chew toy or some chewy stuff. Everytime she does her business give her a treat or that chewy stuff. Replace stool eating with real snack. And pick her poo ASAP lor. Don give her a chance to get to it. Hopefully in time to come, she'll forget about the poo and looks forward to tastier treats.

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

Amanda85
Doggyman

Apr 4, 2007, 3:11 AM

Post #3 of 3 (843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kii] Housetraining [In reply to] Can't Post

i think it would be easier if u use crate training method...n spread out ur stack of newspaper tto about half ur bathroom size...this can prevent her from doing d wrong thing again...

most puppy will choose not to wet their own crate....so whenever u bring her out after the specific time frame, d 1st thing that come to her mind will be 'i wan to pee'....so directly bring her to d bathroom n dun let her out until she do it...

if ur dog got d ultimate freedom of roaming around d house all d time, then accidently can easily occur if she hd not been trained properly

n during this crucial learning stage, d more mistake she did, d more she learn this bad habit

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my