Staffordshire terrier

ryro
Novice

Mar 25, 2007, 4:47 PM

Post #1 of 14 (1824 views)
Shortcut
Staffordshire terrier Can't Post

Hi,

Am very interested in this puppy(Stanffordshire terrier) in Kota kinabalu.About 2 months old,without any cert,asking 2500.Is this very expensive for a puppy without a cert? Is a cert important?I'm not thinking of breeding or reselling it.Saw the pup's parents,both look fantastic.Breeder with MKA

Thanks for any help

(This post was edited by ryro on Mar 25, 2007, 4:57 PM)

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 25, 2007, 8:30 PM

Post #2 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ryro] Staffordshire terrier [In reply to] Can't Post

I tell everyone this... do not buy the puppy if they do not have the litter papers in your hands especially RM 2500. Even as a pet not for the purpose of breeding, you need to ensure it's worth that much. Here are a couple of "Red Flags" you should look for that are practices of bad breeders:

•SELLS MALES FOR LESS MONEY THAN FEMALES. This is because a premium is placed on females by other "wannabe" breeders to start their own backyard breeding program.
•SELLS "BEST QUALITY" WHILE THEY NEVER BEST THEMSELVES. How can you know? Markings? That only represents about 10% of what makes up a "show quality" dog.
•SELLS ANY PUPPY WITH FULL REGISTRATION for more money, regardless of the quality or health of the pup.
•BREEDING STOCK WHICH HAS COME FROM THE OLD IRON CURTAIN EASTERN EUROPEAN COUNTRIES, like Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, Russia, etc. There are a few good kennels, but most of the puppy mill dogs are imported from these countries, and we have NO health history on these dogs.
•GRANDPARENTS PUPS FROM EASTERN EUROPEAN PUPPY MILLS. These import brokers simply buy direct from the same Eastern European puppy mills and then turn around and sell to the ignorant buyer. NO good breeder sells to a broker.
•DOES NOT HAVE VERIFIABLE HEALTH CLEARANCES on hips AND elbows of at least MOST of the dogs on the pups pedigree. If you are told "our vet said they are healthy" this is a BIG red flag.
•BREEDING STOCK COMES FROM HEALTHY LINES” If you are told this, DEMAND PROOF.
•HEALTHIER EUROPEAN LINES.” Don’t believe it. There are healthy and unhealthy lines in all countries. This is just another sales tactic.
•DOGS WHICH ARE BRED BEFORE TWO YEARS OF AGE AND/OR ARE BRED EVERY HEAT CYCLE.
•BOTH PARENTS ON PREMISES.” Good breeders go out and find the stud dog that best compliments their *****. Breeders who tend to be in it "for the money" only, don't want to pay a stud fee, so they just get a boy and a girl, and whatever they produce, they produce. Also, if they own several females on only one male. This tells me they are just pumping out puppies - high volume - high sales - more money in the seller's pocket (this is not an absolute. Some good breeders DO have the stud dog, but this is not always the case).
•BREEDER DOESN'T FOLLOW UP ON PREVIOUS LITTERS to assure the pups they have produced are healthy. This is especially important if the puppy seller touts "healthy dogs." If they haven't bothered to follow up on previous litters, how can they make this claim????
•NO "HEALTH GUARANTEE"!
•BREEDER HAS NO LICENSE. This almost guarantees you are dealing with a mass production puppy factory.
•MKA MEMBER.” Every breeder who breeds MKA registered dogs is subject to inspection. This means nothing (your potential pup is MKA Registered!)
•BREEDER DISCOURAGES YOU VISITING THEIR FACILITIES, or “suggests” you meet somewhere to get your pup. This is often offered as a convenience to you. It is really because the breeder doesn’t want you to see their kennel.
•PRETTY WEBSITES with lot of cute pictures and flowery language like “Farm raised with love,” or “we just love our fur babies.” Provides little or no useful information such as pedigrees of parents, health clearances, breeding philosophy, etc. This is a very crafty and effective way to bamboozle you as the buyer.
•REQUIRES MONEY UP FRONT before any paperwork such as pedigree info, contract into, etc) is provided.
•REQUIRES DEPOSITS (USUALLY NON-REFUNDABLE) BEFORE THEIR ***** IS BRED OR THE LITTER IS WHELPED.
•SELLS WITHOUT A CONTRACT!!!!!
•PUPPIES REGISTERED WITH OTHER THAN MKA REGISTRY. While MKA registration does not assure a good breeder, NO responsible breeder uses any other registry. The puppy mill industry has created many bogus registries to trick buyers and commercial puppy factory.
•DOESN’T ASK YOU ANY QUESTIONS. In an effort to confuse you into thinking they are a responsible breeder, you may be asked to complete a questionnaire, but you won’t be asked any follow up questions.
(HAS A PAYPAL OR CREDIT CARD SYSTEM SET UP FOR PAYMENT
• JUST BREED NICE PUPPIES FOR NICE PEOPLE.” This is the hallmark of a bad breeder. You are a nice person, and you want a nice puppy, but not from this breeder. What this REALLY means is, “I am breeding whatever dogs I can get my hands on, and I am selling them to anyone who comes up with the cash.”
•BREEDS MULTIPLE BREEDS. Some good breeders may breed one or possibly two other breeds, but anyone who has more than 4 or 5 different breeds of dogs is making a business out of pumping out puppies. There is no way this many dogs can be given the attention and care that they need. This is a puppy factory.
•CHAMPION BLOODLINES.” This could mean one dog in a 64 dog pedigree has attained a championship. This also implies that the parents aren’t champions. This is just another trick to fool you.
•DOES NOT HAVE A LIFETIME RETURN POLICY FOR DOGS OF THEIR BREEDING. Do not concern themselves with rescue, and take no responsibility for the dogs they have produced once the sale is done and money has changed hands. These breeders represent a large part of the mess that purebred rescue groups have to clean up.
•JUST IN TIME- These are examples of what is done by those who don't care about whether they are breeding physically/orthopedically or temperamentally sound dogs. They just want to cash in on the breed’s popularity and pocket your money. If your puppy winds up crippled by hip or elbow Dysplasia, or dies of cancer at 2 or 3 years old, or has a vicious, aggressive temperament, they really don't care.

The things you should look for. Pick up the puppy, check its ears , eyes, does the puppy have a runny nose. See if you can lay the puppy on its back while holding him and a rub his belly. Does he lay there content. Watch how they act towards the owner when she is around. Do they seem happy to see her? Make sure the puppy is 8 weeks old. Look to see what the place look like where they were whelped. Take note in how many she is breeding. If she is breeding many different dogs a red light should go off if she is. Make sure you get the Vet paper on the shots and worming for your puppy. The puppies should have been examined by a vet at least once. Just take them all in before you buy a puppy. Oh she should be willing to answer any of your questions you may have.

Just ask yourself... is this the kind of person you would like to buy a pup from? There is no excuse a breeder can't get the litter papers to them in time of sale of their puppies for that price. Your dog will likely live 10 + years, so it’s well worth investing some time, energy and money now to be sure you’re buying from a reputable breeder who breeds healthy, happy dogs. You can find reputable breeders by asking for referrals from your veterinarian, MKA, trusted dog owners, contacting local breed clubs, visiting dog shows or surfing the Net more.

Good luck.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Mar 25, 2007, 8:49 PM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 26, 2007, 5:13 AM

Post #3 of 14 (1791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] Staffordshire terrier [In reply to] Can't Post

Well Said

ah_biii
Novice

Mar 26, 2007, 6:34 AM

Post #4 of 14 (1784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] Staffordshire terrier [In reply to] Can't Post

lady Eloise, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us... learn a lot form your simple and short but full with essence message. thanks

Kevin Chuan
ALPHA

Mar 26, 2007, 6:35 AM

Post #5 of 14 (1784 views)
Shortcut

Hi Brother,

I would suggest you to visit the breeder, take the sire and dam's photo also the pups photo, email to me or post it at the forum. I shall be able to tell you whether this pup is American Staffordshire Terrier, American Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pitbull Terrier, or Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Also Known as British Staffordshire Terrier).

Cheer...

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Mar 27, 2007, 8:49 AM

Post #6 of 14 (1763 views)
Shortcut

If you're offered a Staffordshire (British or American) with a cert, then it's probably fake (the cert or the dog or both). The Am & British Staffordshires and the Pit Bull are on the list of banned breeds - which means they can't be imported legally, therefore no papers. I don't think MKA would give out certificates of pedigree to locally bred staffies either. If the conformation is good and very importantly, if the temperament is ok, and if you can get get to see the sire and dam and both are tip top and of decent stock, then RM2500 is not too much. You also need to take into consideration whether the ears have been cropped, because the vet bill for that can come up to RM200.

ryro
Novice

Mar 28, 2007, 12:44 AM

Post #7 of 14 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Staffordshire terrier [In reply to] Can't Post

This site is a big help.Thanks to everyone esp Kevin and Teoh.After going through the net and talking to a couple of guys here, i realised that there is no cert for such pups.

Sorry i cant post any of the photos here,didnt bring my camera there the last time.But from what i saw the pup's father is very well bred,good skin colour,big head and broad shoulder,a very healthy dog.I like the colour too.The mum is ok,white and brown in colour.Looking at the size and from what the breeder says it's American staffie.Talking about the ears,i thought that a preference is for uncropped ears.If need to crop when is this done(how old)? I have also now a choice of 5 puppies to choose from,all females the male taken.The breeder's advise is for me to take the pup with the biggest head and broadest shoulder.The colour is brown and white.The one i like is the tiger stripped black.So now a choice of colour comes to play too.

I like them so much that i'm thinking of getting two of the pups.What is the general opinion?

Once again thanks for the response

(This post was edited by ryro on Mar 28, 2007, 12:51 AM)

Kevin Chuan
ALPHA

Mar 28, 2007, 3:05 AM

Post #8 of 14 (1726 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
This site is a big help.Thanks to everyone esp Kevin and Teoh.After going through the net and talking to a couple of guys here, i realised that there is no cert for such pups.

Sorry i cant post any of the photos here,didnt bring my camera there the last time.But from what i saw the pup's father is very well bred,good skin colour,big head and broad shoulder,a very healthy dog.I like the colour too.The mum is ok,white and brown in colour.Looking at the size and from what the breeder says it's American staffie.Talking about the ears,i thought that a preference is for uncropped ears.If need to crop when is this done(how old)? I have also now a choice of 5 puppies to choose from,all females the male taken.The breeder's advise is for me to take the pup with the biggest head and broadest shoulder.The colour is brown and white.The one i like is the tiger stripped black.So now a choice of colour comes to play too.

I like them so much that i'm thinking of getting two of the pups.What is the general opinion?

Once again thanks for the response

Hi brother,
Please please do not mentioned that, we just do our part as a AmStaff Lover and to assist and help the members who just into this breed. Please do not hesitate to email me or post you question here, and we will be more than happy to help you.
Are you going to breed them? If you do, why you taking 2 pups from the same sibiling? Just curious...
Now we have one member from KK liao...Frown

ryro
Novice

Apr 20, 2007, 5:30 AM

Post #9 of 14 (1650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kevin Chuan] Staffordshire terrier [In reply to] Can't Post

hi

Finally manage to get some photos for the pup ,sire and dame.Will try to attach it here.Have not collected the pup yet as was too busy.Sire is blue and dame red/white.

feeding question?Breeder recommended DRY food(commercial dog food).The sire and dame and the pups are all fed DRY food only.Any problem with that?Looking at the sire,with DRY feeding only dont think it lack any nourishment with the bulk and size that it is,for that matter the dame too.Most probably the cost?

Will most probably crop the ear too.Since the pup is a female ,i m seriously thinking about spaying it too.

(This post was edited by ryro on Apr 20, 2007, 5:41 AM)
Attachments: P4190053.jpg (183 KB)

ryro
Novice

Apr 20, 2007, 5:58 AM

Post #10 of 14 (1644 views)
Shortcut

the dame
Attachments: P4190046.jpg (216 KB)

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Apr 20, 2007, 5:22 PM

Post #11 of 14 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Very nice lah. I would advise you not to feed them just kibble. Give them also fresh food, freshly cooked meat and grains and vegetables/ raw meaty bones/ maybe some supplements like flaxseed oil. This is not a toy dog, but a real working dog, and you want to build up the muscles properly. This is also good for the overall health of the dog, not just for show.

Kevin Chuan
ALPHA

Apr 25, 2007, 10:20 PM

Post #12 of 14 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Hi Brother,

The photo of the Sire was not so clear, but by looking at the photo of the dam and pups, RM2500 is extremely expensive. You can get 2 pups with that amount here in KL. See attachment, a quality female only selling at RM1200.00
Attachments: female 2.jpg (22.6 KB)

ryro
Novice

Apr 26, 2007, 2:09 AM

Post #13 of 14 (1605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kevin Chuan] Staffordshire terrier [In reply to] Can't Post

There seems to be light bite marks from playfull litters,is this normal?Also mosquito bites on the ear and head

Dont mind forgoing my deposit of 300 but it's the only steffie available in Kota Kinabalu.I like this one too.
Kevin that female pup going for 1200,where from?Penang
Sabah,being part of Malaysia i still have to quarantine the pup for one month and do all documents too.Not much of a choice

(This post was edited by ryro on Apr 26, 2007, 5:02 AM)

Kevin Chuan
ALPHA

Apr 26, 2007, 8:13 AM

Post #14 of 14 (1589 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
There seems to be light bite marks from playfull litters,is this normal?Also mosquito bites on the ear and head
Reply this is very normal for a staffy and APBT

Dont mind forgoing my deposit of 300 but it's the only steffie available in Kota Kinabalu.I like this one too.
Kevin that female pup going for 1200,where from?Penang
Reply No its from Perlis

Sabah,being part of Malaysia i still have to quarantine the pup for one month and do all documents too.Not much of a choice

Reply In this case... no choice lor... but I believe you still can get from Philliphine if you want to...Wink

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my