House training undone :(

pix
Dog Kichi

Mar 24, 2007, 8:30 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1165 views)
Shortcut
House training undone :( Can't Post

Hello,

My lil Eden came home to me during CNY holidays, when I could spend the week housetraining her to pee/poo in the garden. She did it pretty well for that week and the following week, but after that things started to go downhill when I'd go off to work... I don't know why it seems that she's now developed this distaste for the damp grass in the garden! When I coax her to come in the garden (and even using the toilet training spray), she will gingerly jump around... sniff the spray.... then leave the grass and go right at the EDGE of the garden to pee, not touching the grass. Sigh ><

What should I do... and she has also started to poo at this specific corner of the porch. I clean up the poo, then bring it to the garden and make her sniff it there and praise her... but... she still doesn't remember to poo in the garden. Perhaps it's because I'm working (mum home to keep her company, but she's more hands-off when it comes to training the dog heh) and not around to reinforce the lessons? Any tips from working people when it comes to housetraining?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this topic's been covered before ><

(This post was edited by pix on Mar 24, 2007, 8:31 PM)

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 25, 2007, 8:55 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pix] House training undone :( [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hello,

My lil Eden came home to me during CNY holidays, when I could spend the week housetraining her to pee/poo in the garden. She did it pretty well for that week and the following week, but after that things started to go downhill when I'd go off to work... I don't know why it seems that she's now developed this distaste for the damp grass in the garden! When I coax her to come in the garden (and even using the toilet training spray), she will gingerly jump around... sniff the spray.... then leave the grass and go right at the EDGE of the garden to pee, not touching the grass. Sigh ><

What should I do... and she has also started to poo at this specific corner of the porch. I clean up the poo, then bring it to the garden and make her sniff it there and praise her... but... she still doesn't remember to poo in the garden. Perhaps it's because I'm working (mum home to keep her company, but she's more hands-off when it comes to training the dog heh) and not around to reinforce the lessons? Any tips from working people when it comes to housetraining?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this topic's been covered before ><

Pix,

Your puppy is relapsed but no..she is not done! If I were you, I will re-train her again with close supervision and find more effective solutions. You might have to consider consistency and timetable in her training, too.

If you dont believe in crate-training, you can create a small (confinement) area with a baby gate outside. Make sure you provide inside the area with water, bed and toys. Give ample space just right enough for her to move around preferably in the shade. Dogs normally wont go potty in the area where they eat, play and sleep. By doing this, it will not only create a discipline but you can avoid accidents like peeing around and chewing things like wire, sofa, table and etc.

You can try this too. Every time after she finishes her meal, take her to the desired spot right away. If she refuses, be patient and wait after 5-10 minutes. In the meantime, dont let her manipulate you by playing and jumping around. Make her go inside or make her stay there. After 5-10 minutes bring or ask her again to the desired spot. Make sure you show her a treat by luring to her face and say- You want? Then ..Go potty. Dont give up or get frustrated even you have to bring her in and out few times. Keep the treat and keep luring her to the right spot.

Once she does her business at your desired spot/area make sure you give her reward/treat immediately then praise her. Then you can let her jump and being silly do whatever after that! Follow through this process and be consistent. Hopefully, she will get the idea and understand your motive to her.

Good luck.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Mar 25, 2007, 9:04 AM)

pix
Dog Kichi

Apr 11, 2007, 2:40 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] House training undone :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Lady Eloise,

Hey thanks for the tips...sorry it took me a while to reply! I've been trying to be more consistent like in the ways you suggested. She's getting better, but I think it's going to take a while more, because during the day I'm not around... though I do try to come back for lunch and return early so I can spend time training her. Wish us luck ><

Thanks again.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my