Dalmation drank soap water from drain!

gexegal
Novice

Mar 12, 2007, 10:58 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Dalmation drank soap water from drain! Can't Post

Hi all,
I cage my doggie & let him out for occasional exercise around my house compound. Problem is i caught him drinking from the backyard drain a few times. I chased him away but he still does that when i'm not around to watch over him.

Last week, after locking him up, i noticed he started vomiting. I suspect he drank from the drain again while i was doing dishes at the kitchen.

Please advise on how to help my poor doggie from vomiting? He has skipped his dinner due to upset stomach but i gave him some biscuits & plenty of fresh drinking water which helps a bit.

I promise to becareful the next time i let him out!! My poor baby. Btw, he is 3 yrs old.

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Mar 12, 2007, 11:16 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gexegal] Dalmation drank soap water from drain! [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy I think you gotta be stern with him when you catch him in the act. Grab hold of him and get a roll of newspaper and whack the floor just beside him real hard as to create a really loud noise to scare the hell out of him. Or you just have to find something which scares him lor. But for the next few days or weeks, everytime you let him out, you gotta be on watch. Cannot leave him out of ur sight if you wan to rectify this problem ASAP. It's gonna be a tedious process but what to do? It's not advisable to scold him AFTER he has done his act. You gotta catch him red-handed. Good Luck then.

If I ever catch my dog, Rascal doing this, I'll give him a good smack on his ass. Yeah yeah.....ppl say, dont hit ur dog with the hand that feeds him cos then he'll be afraid of it. With Rascal, he forgets everything the minute he sees FOOD....so it doesnt matter if i whack him or not. Just grab a cookie after 5 minutes, he'll forgets that, that was the hands that smack him.

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

gexegal
Novice

Mar 12, 2007, 11:32 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] Dalmation drank soap water from drain! [In reply to] Can't Post

I once shouted at him when he was about to crouch down the drain to take a sip. He immediately bolted away, which he owes does, when he saw me coming to scold him. But i cant stand there for 2 hours to watch over him cos my mum will scold me for lazying around & not helping her do housework. & when i'm not letting my doggie out, my mum will scold me for being cruel! sometimes its my dad who lets my doggie out & he oso don bother to monitor my doggie. my dad just told me that my doggie has bitten a toad, which i suspect that makes him vomit too. Sigh!

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 12, 2007, 11:55 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1014 views)
Shortcut

measure ur drain size, go to a hardware store & ask for a metal drainage cover. it a little costly but will solve ur problem as long as u stay in the same house

cheers

ezekiel 25:17

gexegal
Novice

Mar 13, 2007, 12:03 AM

Post #5 of 10 (1008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] Dalmation drank soap water from drain! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be moving to my new home in Nov. I guess Spottie was plain thirsty but unwilling to drink from his bowl in the cage for fear that i'll cage him up! Poor boy. I guess thats part of a caged dog dilemma. I tried to train him to go into his cage a few times but still fail. For a 3 yr old doggie...can he still learns it? I sometimes let Spottie drinks from a running hose. He loves it but that is if he goes to the front yard, where his cage is!

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Mar 13, 2007, 12:25 AM

Post #6 of 10 (1005 views)
Shortcut

Smile i think thats Spottie's fear. He rather drink drain water than being caged up. Seems to me, he is seeing his cage as a punishment centre and not his den.

He can still learn but the process is slightly more tedious lor.....Dont expect him to learn it in a few days lah.....have to be very consistent. If you still wanna feed him in his cage, you gotta change his perception of the cage already. Teach him to treat it like his den and not as a punishment centre. Give him lots of treats when he is in there and when he drinks from the bowl in his cage, praise him kau kau lah.....hopefully he wont be so fearful of the idea of getting locked up again.

I donnu bout others here, I believe in cage-training. The minute they learn to love their den, it makes live so much easier. They dont suffer, you no heartache.

Or of cos ur easy way out, get those drain covers suggested by vino lor.....but bear in mind that, you cover the drain, he'll find somewhere else to drink from.

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 13, 2007, 12:27 AM

Post #7 of 10 (1005 views)
Shortcut

yes there are new tricks for old doggies. but yet again, its difficult to train spottie to drink from a particular water source as i assume there are other available water sources in ur hse compound??? jz use a temporary cover to deter spottie from drinkin from the drain. when u move to the new place in nov, doggie proof all bad water source & u'l be able to train spottie to drink whr he's supposed to

cheers

gexegal
Novice

Mar 13, 2007, 5:34 PM

Post #8 of 10 (997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] Dalmation drank soap water from drain! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea, i owes do praise him a lot when less force is needed to get him into d cage. If not, normally, its like chasing a chicken around d house b4 i can get him into d cage. I give him a good pat, scratch on d chin, treats etc when he is in his cage! Sometimes its just plain inconvenient for me to let Spottie out whenever my family member wan to open the gate. I worry he might run out to the road again...the last time he ran out, my dad nearly had an heart attack, as he fear Spottie might get hit by a car.
Yup, I'll get those drains covered soon...

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 13, 2007, 5:57 PM

Post #9 of 10 (995 views)
Shortcut

gettin a doggie to luv its own crate is a thing u needed implement to it since young. if u believe in crate trainin, u must nvr use the crate for punishment. it must be as a safe den for it to be comfortable in. the den is the mutual area whr if its in it, u must nvr disturb it as it require its rest. jz like human, doggies need alone time too, not as much as us but they do enjoy the time whr u jz ignore em

good luck & keep us updated ya

cheers

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Mar 13, 2007, 7:25 PM

Post #10 of 10 (991 views)
Shortcut

hi,

if he drinks from the drain out of thirst, mayb u should take the bowl out to somewhere visible each time u bring him out...in dat way, he will be able to drink in his own bowl without fearing that u will lock him up so soon....

but of course, like steffy say, it'l be good to cage trained him so dat he will look at the cage as his rest n private place....

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my