IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Need advise regarding shampoo!!!

zhung

Mar 10, 2007, 1:59 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2776 views)
Shortcut
Need advise regarding shampoo!!! Can't Post

Can anyone help me regarding medicated shampoo for allergy skin problem?

The vet recommended me Sebolyse medicated shampoo. I'm using it about 2 months but I can't see any improvement.

What about malaseb?

Before that I heard from the vet said that they have a stronger medicated shampoo & it's stronger than Sebolyse, the stronger shampoo she mentioned is it malaseb? That time my puppy is still young that's why the vet not recommend me to take the strong medicated shampoo instead Sebolyse.

Is there any better medicated shampoo can helps to cure skin problem & allergy?

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 13, 2007, 3:03 AM

Post #2 of 7 (2762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zhung] Need advise regarding shampoo!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

First you need to identify what causes your dog to have skin allergy. Example like dog food, shampoo, the dog sleeping environment & ticks/fleas bite. Without knowing the cause of it, just by using the most strongest medicated shampoo it will not help cure your dog skin problem. The problem will occur back once you stop the medication.

The strongest medicated shampoo name Sebazole from virbac.

1. Keep your dog sleeping place as clean as possible

2. Keep your dog as clean & dry everyday

3. Check whether your dog have ticks/fleas. If yes spray frontline to solve this problem.

4. Try change te shampoo & condition brand to a better one. Remember rinse well.

5. Lastly, try change the current dog food brand. You might need to try out this few brand:-

-Nutro Lamb & Rice

-California Natural Adult

-Blackwood 5000

-Eagle Pack Lamb & Rice

frenchie
Novice

Mar 24, 2007, 8:18 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2723 views)
Shortcut

Dear Zhung,

Agreed with Chris. Different types of shampoo have different function. You need to first identified the cause of the skin problem. Perhaps a picture to show the skin condition?

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 25, 2007, 11:09 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [frenchie] Need advise regarding shampoo!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Dear Zhung,

Agreed with Chris. Different types of shampoo have different function. You need to first identified the cause of the skin problem. Perhaps a picture to show the skin condition?

True and also, a dog's skin has different Ph level than that of a human.
Good shampoos for dogs are formulated not to strip away the beneficial and natural oils that keep their skin and coat healthy. Choose a gentle deodorizing too and conditioning that wont dry out. Unless your dog have parasites but he/she doesn't need flea- control ones. I recommend something contains oatmeal because it is not too over-powering and it does smell good.

You also might need to check out where your dog likes to play. Poison ivy plant is bad for a dog to play near it. Apart from shampoo that cause skin problems make sure your dog doesn't expose to pollens, dusks, molds and wools too much. Finally, you may need a trial diet (food and treat) like someone suggested by trying different brands - one or two then decide which one to stick?

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Mar 25, 2007, 11:21 AM)

zhung

Mar 27, 2007, 6:43 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] Need advise regarding shampoo!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thx dude

Really thank you for the information & advised. Actually I'm using Sebolyse medicated shampoo that recommended by the vet, but it doesn't help to cure the odour of the body. Yeah I founded a good kibble brand that suit my puppy. It is Eagle Pack Holistic Select (Lamb & Rice). That recommended by a vet too. Actually there's a kibble very expensive that named Addiction, they have kangaroo meat & vegetable. I plan to get the vegetable kibble to mix with the lamb & rice kibble. Is it OK? I'm afraid of side effect.

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 27, 2007, 9:02 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2677 views)
Shortcut

If your dog have no problem in EaglePack then better stick to this brand.

daniel.woo
Novice

Apr 4, 2007, 9:30 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2629 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Need advise regarding shampoo!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Noted your comments on the need to change diet if allergy persists. I have a 19 month male GSD. Of late, he is scratching himself all over. I suspect it has to do with his kibbles. Currently, I'm using Blackwood 2000 and Royal Canine Maxim. I believe the wheat content and the high protein content (26%) may be the cause.

I'm thinking of changing to either Eagle Holistic Lamb & Rice or Blackwood 3000 Lamb & Rice. Both do not contain wheat. I intend to mix either of it with Royal Canine. Do you think this would help?

Thanks;

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my