Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
need sifus advise here.

dave1323
New User

Mar 7, 2007, 7:31 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1122 views)
Shortcut
need sifus advise here. Can't Post

hi guys newbie here........am thinking of having a guard dog for my family. been reading alot of article recently, still cant made up my mind yet on having a rott or dobe. at 1st thinking of having a gsd but after reading article seems that gsd grooming need to pay more attention, so now decided to target for rott or dobe. but seems to me that these 2 dog only loyal to one master only isit? thats making me worried cause my family has 2 old folks and my wife is so small in size afraid that someday or one day it might do something bad to my family. is there anyone here can give some advice? and currently had a russel fellow at home did rott or dobe get along with this small little fellow in future? would like to know from all the sifu's opinion here on what type of dog suites me? currently my house got compound that i think is big enough for either dobe or rott. anyone here can give any suggestion? thanks guys.

YanYan
Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2007, 3:41 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dave1323] need sifus advise here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello

Welcome to the forumSmile

but seems to me that these 2 dog only loyal to one master only isit?root and dobe. Not just this two types

will be loyal to its master.Any other breed will do,as long you give them enough training. My uncle is keeping

a rott,and my grandparents is staying with him. So far there are no prob coz he has been trained.

and currently had a russel fellow at home did rott or dobe get along with this small little fellow in future? Well,

in the beginning the new dog need to adapt to its environment and the people around him/her. Have to depends on the

situaton,can't predict that your russel won't or will get along with your new dog at 1st. Give them some time,surely they

will get along after period of time. Good luck~!

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 7, 2007, 6:19 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1115 views)
Shortcut

get more info in the workin group threads...ask more fr the forumers thr, they can give u better understandin.

for ur jrt, best is to introduce it to the new doggie on neutral ground...meaning somewhr outside of ur hse & ur jrt wont be so protective

cheers

ezekiel 25:17

dave1323
New User

Mar 8, 2007, 3:43 AM

Post #4 of 9 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [YanYan] need sifus advise here. [In reply to] Can't Post

i also dunno which dog to choose also. and dunno how to choose a good breed as well. any idea where to find breeders of these 2 dog? and after reading some article about these 2 breed seems to me each of it have their own disease isit?

YanYan
Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2007, 6:48 AM

Post #5 of 9 (1094 views)
Shortcut

Hello dave

Actually it is all depends on your choices. Can't help you to decide but I'll try to let you

know more of both dogs' details so that you can make comparison on which suits you and your household

best. Like what vino had said "it would take a little of spark to select the dog u really want"Wink

When you mentioned about guard dog,do you mean that you want the dog that will bite on command

if the situation call for it OR a watch dog that bark to frighten the strangers/burglar away? Although

both is almost the same but there are differences between it.

Just try not to get it from the petshop,ya.

They might selling a sick dog/pup(puppymills) any idea where to find breeders of these 2 dog? I'm sorry I don't have any

rott&dobe breeders' contacts.You can try to ask around the members in the "working group" column.

Yes,every pure breed will have their own genetic diseases. For rottweiler; is a common disease called hip dysplasia, which is a

painful, progressive and disabilitating disease, for which there is no cure. The best way to determine the potential

for hip dysplasia is for your vet to take X-rays. While for doberman,there are few disease such as; CARDIOMYOPATHY is

genetically predisposed disease of the heart muscle. In essence, it is the inability of the heart muscle to contract normally.

HIP DYSPLASIA is not as huge a problem in Dobermans as some other breeds. However, it is still a concern.

Give you some of the info,hopefully it can help you somehowSmile

Good day

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 9, 2007, 12:46 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1082 views)
Shortcut

rott n dobe r for serious owner...without good training they r really hard to control....rotti r a bit clumsy, they might easily knock down ur old ppl...

still i would think gsd is easier to handle that rotti or dobe....n he had a better and calmer temperament....

as for d grooming.....u juz need to gv a occasional brush.....

don't worried whether d new dog ur getting will had any prob with ur russell...coz young dog will usually gv respect to the old dog... instead u shld actually worry whether ur russell like to had a new companion a not...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Mar 13, 2007, 1:44 AM

Post #7 of 9 (1046 views)
Shortcut

hi

don worry. s long s u intro ur family members to your dog, b it rotti or dobe.. he wont do any harm to them de.. unless ur family members go and hit or provoke the dog, which i tink wont happen la..

My beloved Molly looks like MooMooo

My beloved Snoopy makes 1 of the funniest beagle in the world

My beloved Lassie is the teh-est sheltie although he is a male !

Frown Molly Gal : 16 June 2007 | Snoopy Zai : 4 Jan 2010 | Lassie Zai : 23 April 2010

| Husky Zai : 24 Jan 2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my Jewelleries Online

Photography Business Website coming up soon ^^

dave1323
New User

Mar 13, 2007, 3:23 AM

Post #8 of 9 (1041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SupaMolly] need sifus advise here. [In reply to] Can't Post

yala thats what i thought off also. but what i am thinking you see.........human also got good or bad so maybe dogs also got good or bad dogs. my family all ok 1, i dont worry for myself only my old dad only........but i think nothing to worry about, i think all will be fine now doing reseach on all the behaviour these dogs has...........

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Mar 13, 2007, 6:55 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1035 views)
Shortcut

hi

well, u had a good guess.. dogs do hav bad and good sides..

u see, ur dog only has u. so, if he/she sees another dog/human with u very close, your dog sure will b jealous, and will try seek a chance to 'take revenge'. So, 1 day, when ur dog see u not there, he/she will 'attack' the other dog, and bark at the human.

so, s i said, u hav to intro properly ur family members to ur dog. so, ask them to take turn feed and give treats and praises to ur dog. slowly ur dog will recognise that ur family members are not harmful, and will also sayang them.

yeah not a major prob.. im sure u guys will click well with the incoming dog ... so good luck !

My beloved Molly looks like MooMooo

My beloved Snoopy makes 1 of the funniest beagle in the world

My beloved Lassie is the teh-est sheltie although he is a male !

Frown Molly Gal : 16 June 2007 | Snoopy Zai : 4 Jan 2010 | Lassie Zai : 23 April 2010

| Husky Zai : 24 Jan 2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my Jewelleries Online

Photography Business Website coming up soon ^^

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my