Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Problem Walking Dogs

Muddy
Dog Kichi

Mar 3, 2007, 6:05 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1889 views)
Shortcut
Problem Walking Dogs Can't Post

I have 6 dogs of different sizes. They are all very obedient and well trained. They walk properly but the only problem I have is that when I take out their leashes to take them for their walks, they go bonkers and make so much noise (barking, whining, crying) all in excitement. I know their mind should be in a calm submissive state in order to go for walks. Any suggestions on how to make them less excited whenever i take out their leash?

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 3, 2007, 6:09 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Muddy] Problem Walking Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

i used to have that problem with zeus. everytime i open my shoes closet (his leashes & collars are on the top shelf in my closet) zeus will go nuts. same goes when i grab the hse keys...

u gotta do a few "tricks" on ur doggies. get the leashes at different timings, leash all of em, keep the leashes for few mins & then remove the leashes w/out takin em out for any walks. do this at abt half hr intervals for a few times & finally goin out for the walks

of cuz, at 1st this will confuse em but pretty soon, they wont be goin "gaga" each seein u with a leash

good luck cheers

ezekiel 25:17

Muddy
Dog Kichi

Mar 3, 2007, 6:27 PM

Post #3 of 8 (1880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] Problem Walking Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah wonder why they always think they are going out when you take the keys, collars, leash or even just open the door. Thanks for your advice will try it out.

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 3, 2007, 7:29 PM

Post #4 of 8 (1878 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Muddy] Problem Walking Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

simple...doggies are routine...

if u think back, since the 1st day uve got ur 1st doggie, 90% of the time u grab a leash, u'l bring the doggie out for a walk. since then, the doggie learn that the leash will lead to a walk thus makin it goin nuts each time u grab the leash

another eg: u bring ur doggies out for walks everyday at the exact time, say...6pm. one not so fine day, ur not feelin well to bring the doggies out for their routine 6pm walks, they'l go nuts all over again

if u break their routine thinkin on walks, they wont go nuts no more

loolick

Mar 7, 2007, 10:58 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1846 views)
Shortcut

dude, i have a problem here, when i take out the leash, my rocky will run away, i dun understand. i didnt put on the leash on the 1st week when i walk him. cuz he doesnt go far from me when we walk. but now its just the 2nd week, things r different now, once in a awhile he will walk on his own and run away when he is scare(kids chasing him, motorcycle passed by).if i leash him, he will sit there n refuse to move/walk.

any idea on how to solve this?!

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 7, 2007, 11:22 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [loolick] Problem Walking Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
dude, i have a problem here, how old is ur doggie??? when i take out the leash, my rocky will run away, i dun understand. bad exp with a leash? did u or anybody hit him with a leash before? i didnt put on the leash on the 1st week when i walk him. usually, i'l train young pups to get use to their collars & leashes cuz he doesnt go far from me when we walk. its good that u would wanna train ur doggie to walk off-leash. but with a jrt, i cant risk doing so. cant risk zeus dashin away chasin a cat or a morotcyclist but now its just the 2nd week, things r different now, once in a awhile he will walk on his own and run away when he is scare(kids chasing him, motorcycle passed by). from wat ur sayin here, either ur doggie is still very young, uve jz brought in a new adult doggie into ur home or uve jz move to a new neighbourhood... whichever it is, u would need to slowly intro him into ur neighbourhood. best to keep him leash up jz in case he dashes away of shyness or fear if i leash him, he will sit there n refuse to move/walk. try leash walk him in ur own hse indoors 1st, then slowly move towards the outside compound within ur own fencin, this will increase his confidence in the environment. slowly, he'l learn to accept noises & ppl from outside. kids....aha....u have any kids at home? always supervise interaction between doggies & kids. both can bring danger to each other

any idea on how to solve this?! wat breed is ur doggie? hope this helps...cheers

loolick

Mar 7, 2007, 11:55 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1836 views)
Shortcut

thanks! replied in other thread

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 11, 2007, 7:21 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1804 views)
Shortcut
Re: [loolick] Problem Walking Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Please to add one more tip. Walk your dog with a short leash. I prefer to use short leash because with a long leash sometimes they are trying to sniff the ground and all over the place. Hold your leash high and short. Moreover, set the pace steady. Not too slow please and keep on walking like a power walk. Dont let them stop, keep going and after 15 minutes, they will know that you are going to take them for a walk not 'sight-seeing'. Otherwise, they keep sniffing the ground and not likely to focus on walking.
Dog behaviorist.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my