Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
My Lab have discipline problem (I think?)

kwkhoo
Novice

May 19, 2003, 9:41 AM

Post #1 of 17 (4030 views)
Shortcut
My Lab have discipline problem (I think?) Can't Post

Hello all,

Hope some sifu here can help me. I have a 6 month old lab...got him since he is four mths. I have been training him in obedience and basic command for the past two months.

He is very intelligent....learning commands very fast. But he has problem in keeping still and will only normally obey if he knows there is a treat in store for him. And believe me....he does know...when i am holding treats in my hand he can smell it.

He never stops at biting and nipping at everything...rubbish, shoes, fallen leaves....even to the extent of chewing and swallowing his own tows (bits and pieces missing and never found...sometimes seen in his poop)

When i bring him outside for his rounds of business...all hell break loose. I have to keep a very watchful eye on his mouth as he never stops looking searching for things to put in his mouth. I know i feed him enough so hunger is not the cause here.

When there are other people in the house...he will ignore us (me and wife) and act very excited to the guest...no matter how you call out to him...only when he sees that i have a cane in my hand..and i would not really want to cane him unnecessary.

Any suggestions guys?

Karwee

milooh

May 19, 2003, 10:35 AM

Post #2 of 17 (4023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kwkhoo] My Lab have discipline problem (I think?) [In reply to] Can't Post

Your dog sounds like my Milo, who is a typical lab. He loves Brian, my bro in law to death and will ignore us too when Brian is around. Milo will bring all his toys to Brian and show off by biting and eating his toys. Milo stopped eating his toys when he was about 11 months or so. So give your dog time and just let it be a puppy for now. One thing we did and are still doing now is not leaving his toys laying around. We keep them on a shelf where he cant get them. So Milo knows that his toys belong to us and we control what and when he can play.

Perhaps you can tell your guest to ignore your dog. This can be done by turning the body and head away. Dont use hands but the shoulders to push the dog away and dont say anything. Then call your dog to you with a treat. Well, dogs dont work for free, at least that's Milo's philosophy. Wink

www.jef-b.com/Dogs

Milooh aka Rossie
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

snoopydog
Enthusiast

May 19, 2003, 5:13 PM

Post #3 of 17 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Hi kwkhoo,

By the sounds of it, you have one very important and useful tool - FOOD!Cool. At least your lab is motivated by food (some dogs aren't). So, try to use it to your advantage and hopefully be able to solve most of the problems you've describe. I have a very energetic and playful beagle and food is the best motivator. Together with a clicker, it works wonders especially the problem with "jumping on visitors". My beagle still jumps, but at least, she is now responding when I tell her to stop. Then I click and treat. I'm still working on it though but it's beginning to show results. Smile.

So, don't despair. Your lab is still very young. Use food as your bargaining chip to basically to tell your dog - "If you want this food, please behave". No need to shout, no need to yell...relatively stress free for you & your dog. You can gradually fade off the food after your dog knows how to behave properly. But continue to give a treat once in a while. That's the power of positive training. Btw, I'm not an expert trainer but just sharing a personal experience with you.

Good luck.Smile

(This post was edited by snoopydog on May 19, 2003, 5:14 PM)

Trivor
K9 Servant

May 19, 2003, 7:46 PM

Post #4 of 17 (4006 views)
Shortcut

hello,
Are you talking about my dog too? they seem so identical!! this is not discpline problem lahhh, but some habbits that need to correct them.
Trivor also likes to jump on people too! We try to train her to sit when greeting people. No sit, no treat. But remember, don't over-feed them with treats.
She used to chew alot of things too, shoes, socks, plastic begs... I bought her plenty of rawhides to chew and turn on the radio when we are not around. This is quite helpful!

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

kwkhoo
Novice

May 20, 2003, 8:36 AM

Post #5 of 17 (3999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] My Lab have discipline problem (I think?) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Guys,

Trivor, I am not that bothered by his chewing....what disturbed me the most is he will swallow every bits and pieces that came of. Plastics, rags, even his sleeping mat. Oh boy...in fact this morning he try to swallow bits of towel he torn off from my storage rack..

Does your doggie do that too? He did puke once when he eaten some old rags....

Anyway....just something to share with all you guys...Sun afternoon i brought him out to a lake....he was so excited and jump in without pause. But decided to turn back onshore and never dare to go in again. Better off sniffin and pickin rubbish all around...(maybe thats what he thinks Smile)

How you taught your doggie to swim?

milooh

May 20, 2003, 10:29 AM

Post #6 of 17 (3995 views)
Shortcut

Since you have a lab, just play fetch with a tennis ball with your dog and then throw the ball into the lake. Start with the shallow end and gradually have your dog jump off a dock or rock.

Milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

Trivor
K9 Servant

May 20, 2003, 7:44 PM

Post #7 of 17 (3991 views)
Shortcut

hello there,
Yes, Trivor eats and swallows everything. She swallowed a plastic beg before. Luckily, she poo it out later. She ate tissue paper, leftovers from dust bin... well, we have to place our things beyond her reachable zone. We also use baby gate to block her from kitchen.
You can put tobasco source or "bitter apple" on the things that he likes to swallow. The spicy or bitter taste will at least scare him off from swallowing wrong things. But this is the "hard" way. OR, just tell him "NO" if he tries to swallow something, take it out form his mouth and replace by treats, praise him.
Don't let your dog swim by himself lahh... Human also needs time to learn how to swim 1st time. Accompany him to a baby pool or small pond or bath tub filled with water. Swim together with him and he will enjoy the session. Bring his toys along so that both of you can enjoy and have fun!! Bring him to a swallow water later where he becomes "expert". But make sure he can come back when called. Trivor loves swimming, but also ran away the very 1st time.
Just a tip: Be careful on his ears. Make sure you wipe and clean his ears after swimming, or they will get infection alright? Have fun!

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

wkser
ALPHA

May 20, 2003, 10:23 PM

Post #8 of 17 (3987 views)
Shortcut

hi kwkhoo,

yeah labbie is a very intelligent WinkSmile..you should prasie then giving him treat everytime he did something right. From giving treat to him you should gently change to praising by a simple like good boy.labbie is a very energetic dog they need to be walk everyday so that will drain their energy away if not they will nip everything in your house.

I had the same problem as you do when my nous was 6 to 8 months tim.I also got him a kong toy it will take most of his time sitting and try to chew the food in kong toy .the best solutiuon is bring them for a walk everyday and play throw and fetech with them>If worst come to worst to try to get a pepper spray that you can get from the petshop.spray in on the thing he like to bite.all the best to you.is fun to own a lab

regards

kangser and nous

kwkhoo
Novice

May 21, 2003, 3:17 PM

Post #9 of 17 (3974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] My Lab have discipline problem (I think?) [In reply to] Can't Post

guys,

my lab did something which i can't tolerate today.....HE ATE SHIT!!! Worse of all...i don't know if that is his own shit or not. He pick it up when i brought him outside for his rounds at nite.

I did punish him for this as a deterrrent...hope he got

Just what i am gonna do bout him?

milooh

May 21, 2003, 5:57 PM

Post #10 of 17 (3972 views)
Shortcut

Hi there, I found this info on the internet that might interest you:

Coprophagia, or poop-eating, is very common, and young puppies do this a lot. They will often outgrow it in a matter of weeks. Sometimes dogs do it for nutrients they are lacking in their diets, but if you are feeding a good quality dog food, this is unlikely.

Most of the time it is just because it smells "tasty" (to them).You can try putting tabasco sauce on the piles, but honestly, if you are right there, the best solution is just to pick it up right away.

There is also a powder available, called "Forbid" that has effect of rendering the rendered food distasteful. This works for some dogs well, but not others.

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

wkser
ALPHA

May 21, 2003, 9:02 PM

Post #11 of 17 (3969 views)
Shortcut

hi,

i think most of the member in this forum face the same problem.SmileWinkyou can read some of the solution and way of handling it in the post in the behaviour section.

regards

kangser and nous

Terry
K9 Kaki

May 22, 2003, 9:06 AM

Post #12 of 17 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I have a 5 months old golden retriever so I bought a book about goldies which really helped me train him. The moment Billy sees food he automatically sits and give me his hand before I give any command. So I make him do different things before he gets the food.

Also the book taught me to always praise him while giving him the food and at times make him do those things with only praises.

Billy also gets very very excited with strangers so I think its a typical behaviour for retrievers.

Get use to it, they will try to chew everything. The book says that we have to reprimand him whenever we catch him chewing something we do not want him too and substitute with the toys he should chew.

Also, you have to choose toys without parts that can come apart coz with their strong teeth, they will end up eating them and this can be harmful.

I think its a good idea to get a good book on Labrador coz the book really helped us.

Terry

I hope this helps.Sly

kwkhoo
Novice

May 22, 2003, 10:12 AM

Post #13 of 17 (3957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Terry] My Lab have discipline problem (I think?) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Terry,

I have been trying to get one of these book...specially for Labradors only. Mostly that i came across are very general, covering all breeds of dogs

Guys....i am thinking to get another Lab puppy for the current one's companion. Thinking of a black one...what do you guys think....Cool

Thanks every1...Khoo

Terry
K9 Kaki

May 22, 2003, 6:51 PM

Post #14 of 17 (3951 views)
Shortcut

You can get the book at Pets World in Mega Mall.

Terry

wkser
ALPHA

May 22, 2003, 7:27 PM

Post #15 of 17 (3947 views)
Shortcut

hi kwkhoo,

i have a books that specifically for you to train labbie,if you can come to the gathering next month i can show you some of the books i have SmileWink balck lab is very calm

regards

kangser and nous

kwkhoo
Novice

May 23, 2003, 2:53 AM

Post #16 of 17 (3939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] My Lab have discipline problem (I think?) [In reply to] Can't Post

hi wkser,

I will be there....c you and all the other guys there.....Smile

This is the first time my lab will be with so many doggies....hopefully he will know how to behave la. if not very "pai seh" la.....

KW Khoo

kwkhoo
Novice

May 26, 2003, 9:58 AM

Post #17 of 17 (3924 views)
Shortcut

Hello guys,

I finally got another lab..(a black one)...after the home affairs minister approval....cute little guy.

Brought him to the vet as soon as i got him...coz i see he got a lot of pastules on his abdomen. The vet put him on some antibiotics....

Roy (black) and Ben (yellow) are getting along fine...although sometimes they can be playing rough...

Just one problem....how do i start to train his toilet habit. As of now i still do not see any trend in his toilet habit and timing.

Thanks....Kw Khoo

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my