Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Why people beat their dog?

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Feb 25, 2007, 8:02 PM

Post #1 of 21 (1270 views)
Shortcut
Why people beat their dog? Can't Post

Please don't beat your dog because dogs are like kids. In fact, study suggests that dogs could understand humans because they are the same as 3 yo kids. Temper could not solve another temper. People who beat dogs do it out of ignorance, rage and frustration. If you take the time to properly train the dog, you don't need to hit them. Hitting only inspires fear, not obedience! Thanks.

FrownFrown
Dog behaviorist.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 2, 2007, 6:06 PM

Post #2 of 21 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] Why people beat their dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

unfortunately some ppl dun treats their dog equivalent to kids...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 2, 2007, 6:09 PM

Post #3 of 21 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Ppls beat kid as well not only target at dog

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 2, 2007, 11:26 PM

Post #4 of 21 (1234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Why people beat their dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

some even whack their husbands or wives Unsure

ezekiel 25:17

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 7, 2007, 10:18 AM

Post #5 of 21 (1202 views)
Shortcut

What will people do next...choke their kids to death? No wonder there are so many crimes and also violences everywhere. Don't understand why people have to make a habit of scolding and beating. Unless the wife is asking for it in the bedroom, then it will be different website. Humans are gifted with brain should exercise patient, discipline and reward. Yes true, some people are worst than animals. Ignore bad behavior, reward your dog good behavior with affections every time they listen! Training is the key as well as consistency!

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Mar 7, 2007, 10:21 AM)

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Mar 17, 2007, 4:17 AM

Post #6 of 21 (1172 views)
Shortcut

Well, there are many reasons to why people beat & scold their dogs. The person is already pissed, some more the dog does something wrong that makes this person's boiling point explode, ofcourse that person will release his/her frustration through beating the dog! They gotta hit something to release their anger, frustration, whatever...

Scolding on the other hand is not wrong. A very well trained competition dog doesn't mean it WILL not do something wrong, right? My dog is trained but still do things that she's not suppose to do. I scold lah! Sometimes smack too...Come on lah, tell me where got a parent in this world that doesn't beat or scold his/her child? how to teach that kid also...right? So if cannot beat or scold, how? Use choke chain & jerk the dog & kid?

So there's nothing wrong with beating or scolding a dog or a kid. There are always reasons...

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 19, 2007, 11:17 AM

Post #7 of 21 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Why people beat their dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Amber, I beg to differ.

Maybe there is a fine line between scolding and being stern. I guess I should not comment more on kids because my kids are my dogs! Even when I was a kid I didn't like if someone tried beat me up! Whatever reasons, beating is not the real solution to solve any issues.

Ps: Karma is cruel!

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Mar 19, 2007, 11:22 AM)

PSY
K9 Kaki

Mar 20, 2007, 5:58 AM

Post #8 of 21 (1140 views)
Shortcut

I have been reading a lot of your posting with great confusion. i do hope you are a certified animal behaviorist because what you have mentioned in no way can train a dog. For an "Alpha" male to claim that position it has to fight sometimes even kill for it and it is still happening now especially when you take a new pup home hence it is mother nature. So to "beat" is to reprimand but then again I do not understand your definition of "beat". At the end of the day, do you think you and your dog can win an Obedience competition if you can and you do then you may have some bases on your views on beating dogs. Abuse can be define as beating so can Reprimanding.

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 20, 2007, 9:20 AM

Post #9 of 21 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Why people beat their dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have been reading a lot of your posting with great confusion. i do hope you are a certified animal behaviorist because what you have mentioned in no way can train a dog. For an "Alpha" male to claim that position it has to fight sometimes even kill for it and it is still happening now especially when you take a new pup home hence it is mother nature. So to "beat" is to reprimand but then again I do not understand your definition of "beat". At the end of the day, do you think you and your dog can win an Obedience competition if you can and you do then you may have some bases on your views on beating dogs. Abuse can be define as beating so can Reprimanding.

I want to agree that people who beat and do things like that are abusive to their animals. Period!

I cannot understand some people and frankly I don't want to. I think people who beat their dogs are sick and cruel. I have seen so many dogs and cats left without ears, 3-legged, scared, traumatized and their skin torn and burned! Don't take me personally but I would like to try my hands on these people and see if they liked it! You are entitled to your own vocabulary but not me. Animals are innocent creatures of in this universe and it is our job as humans to protect and care for them. Their behavior is instinctual and cannot be held against them if it seems wrong to us. The only thing beating an animal will do is cause fear and possible justified (in my observation and experience) aggression from the animal.

The alpha dog can be trained, with positive reinforcement, professional help and a healthy schooling on your part. It takes time, energy and some money. Most of dog trainers/professionals isn't training the dog, it's training the owner how to think like a dog and understand behavior so that you know how to train the dog properly. Please watch the 'Dog Whisperer' on the National Geographic channel. It is a living proof any dogs could be trained. You need to take the alpha dog position away from him/her and correct these behavior as soon as possible to become balanced.

As for my dogs, they are not 'perfect' (it is a subjective word anyway) Frankly, raising a dog is not an easy task either. However, in order to make sure our dogs get to this stage, me and my partner have invested our money hundreds and changed up to 5 different type of collars, methods and programs JUST to ensure our dogs are well-behaved not only in our house but also in public. I could assure you that they are definitely have displayed 5 -basic characters and now doing agility training.

- food drive
- toy drive
- courage
- temperament
- sound structure

Basic obedience is a "must" before you can really go to agility. So together, (any sensible owners or professionals) often train dogs on basic obedience- NOT the "competition" obedience! Are you with me? In agility, action speaks louder than words,recognition counts more than repetition. Sadly, quite few dog owners brought their dogs to the competition without taking into consideration of things I mentioned above- basic obedience!

There are few new owners who join this forum desperately need some tips for a basic training and understanding. I don't blame them. Instead, I am glad they asked and applaud them. Raising a puppy is a full-time job, comparable to having a curious toddler. We did know not any better too when we 1st got our puppy. Therefore, I am more than happy to help/assist/share my experience with others... in a heart beat.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Mar 20, 2007, 10:13 AM)

Milosevic
Novice

Mar 21, 2007, 11:07 AM

Post #10 of 21 (1102 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I am not sure I would like to consider your response about beating is to be a reprimand, per se, but rather an expression of anger and justification of your own behavior toward your dog.

And dogs forgive humans. What amazing creatures these dogs are. They get beaten, choked, kicked, jabbed, slammed to the ground, in attempts to behaving like dogs. Perhaps it is the way we Malaysians are raised, with the emphasis on violence to solve problems and everyone full of him/ herself. Perhaps it is the feeling of you PSY, is "cheated" if your dog enjoys proper training experience, too. Perhaps it is our puritanical background, where everything must be a struggle. Sorry guys "Yes, we must show the dog who is boss by dominating him", is the philosophy of many trainers. However, the original study of domestic dogs showed that using 'violence' force like beating actually lowered the status of the individual! True 'alphas' can rise above petty infractions and not necessary to hurt another submissive dogs. That the dogs pushing other dogs around were actually only alpha confrontations. That the occasion bully might rise to be pack leader. No dog likes a bully but it happens.

And that the idea that the so-called alpha in a pack rolls the subordinate is right. The subordinate will offer that behavior to the higher status dog without have the use of physical force. It works for them and guess ultimately, owners use violence force based training because they believe a lot of things- have been proven wrong!

You, refuse to educate yourself because you don't want to change, right?
woof woof

(This post was edited by Milosevic on Mar 21, 2007, 11:41 AM)

PSY
K9 Kaki

Mar 21, 2007, 3:38 PM

Post #11 of 21 (1093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Milosevic] Why people beat their dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

You are definitely reading alot into my postings, all I am saying is how do you define "beating"? As I can see you have launch a rather personal attack at me on the understanding of the subject. I am just pointing out that "a firm jerk" on a choke collar to reprimand can also be contrue as an abuse so can at the moment being caught biting a shoe and immediate reprimand with "the" shoe (a firm tap on the mouth) can also be contrued as beating so where do we actually "start & stop". This subject is getting no where with the original person posting this subject and the more this person post (sorry cannot recall the person's name presently) the more confusing it gets. There are a fair few number of people asking for advise here and it is just plain confusing just read your own posting and mine, did I mention "kicking, jabbing or slamming? All I am saying define to others "what is beating your dog"?

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 22, 2007, 10:41 AM

Post #12 of 21 (1082 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
You are definitely reading alot into my postings, all I am saying is how do you define "beating"? As I can see you have launch a rather personal attack at me on the understanding of the subject. I am just pointing out that "a firm jerk" on a choke collar to reprimand can also be contrue as an abuse so can at the moment being caught biting a shoe and immediate reprimand with "the" shoe (a firm tap on the mouth) can also be contrued as beating so where do we actually "start & stop". This subject is getting no where with the original person posting this subject and the more this person post (sorry cannot recall the person's name presently) the more confusing it gets. There are a fair few number of people asking for advise here and it is just plain confusing just read your own posting and mine, did I mention "kicking, jabbing or slamming? All I am saying define to others "what is beating your dog"?

This topic doesn't need a scientific explanation other than 'beating' - the act of inflicting punishment /pain to with repeated blows, swings or kicks to a dog or pets in order to impose discipline.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Mar 22, 2007, 10:44 AM)

PSY
K9 Kaki

Mar 22, 2007, 3:38 PM

Post #13 of 21 (1076 views)
Shortcut

Fine, great then be specific especially to those who has a three month or six month old pup and is a real destructor at home that a loud "NO" is not abusing the pup or a light "tap" on the mouth is not beating your pup/dog or a firm "jerk" to correct heel work training is not a crime.

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 22, 2007, 7:05 PM

Post #14 of 21 (1065 views)
Shortcut

True, it is not a crime but I beg to differ. To be honest, quite many people in Malaysia now using a lot of treats and clicker training (including me) to impose discipline.

Simple!

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 22, 2007, 7:12 PM

Post #15 of 21 (1062 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Fine, great then be specific especially to those who has a three month or six month old pup and is a real destructor at home that a loud "NO" is not abusing the pup or a light "tap" on the mouth is not beating your pup/dog or a firm "jerk" to correct heel work training is not a crime.

I think most people understand what I am trying to convey here but I beg to differ. True, it is not a crime but many people in Malaysia are beginning to adopt a clicker- training (including me) with a lot of treats to impose discipline simply because we do not want to tap our dog in any ways. Simple!

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Mar 22, 2007, 7:14 PM)

PSY
K9 Kaki

Mar 23, 2007, 4:59 AM

Post #16 of 21 (1046 views)
Shortcut

Good for you and I do hope others in the forum understand your approach, I just think there are ambiguities.

Milosevic
Novice

Mar 23, 2007, 7:00 AM

Post #17 of 21 (1043 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

A humane Society officer expects to file charges on recently in the case of a 5-month-old puppy that was violently abused with a baseball bat!
The five month old chocolate lab was brought to an animal hospital with life threatening injuries after officials took him from his owner. Marcia Rothaar, of the Washington Area Humane Society said she responded to a call that "Slugger" was being viciously beaten by its owner.

"They said the dog had been beat with a wooden baseball bat, and had been thrown against the trailer," said Rothaar. When she arrived, the owner admitted to beating the dog and said he was simply reprimanding the animal."He didn't think there was anything wrong with it," said Rothaar." He said he was punishing the dog because he went to the bathroom in the house." Slugger had an enormous swelling on his back and a huge lump on his head and was missing most of his teeth

Personally, i think the owner should feel a little of the same discipline as that poor puppy did, but our laws dont work like that.

Source: thepittsburghchannel.com Frown
woof woof

Milosevic
Novice

Mar 23, 2007, 7:00 AM

Post #18 of 21 (1043 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

A humane Society officer expects to file charges on recently in the case of a 5-month-old puppy that was violently abused with a baseball bat!
The five month old chocolate lab was brought to an animal hospital with life threatening injuries after officials took him from his owner. Marcia Rothaar, of the Washington Area Humane Society said she responded to a call that "Slugger" was being viciously beaten by its owner.

"They said the dog had been beat with a wooden baseball bat, and had been thrown against the trailer," said Rothaar. When she arrived, the owner admitted to beating the dog and said he was simply reprimanding the animal."He didn't think there was anything wrong with it," said Rothaar." He said he was punishing the dog because he went to the bathroom in the house." Slugger had an enormous swelling on his back and a huge lump on his head and was missing most of his teeth

Personally, i think the owner should feel a little of the same discipline as that poor puppy did, but our laws dont work like that.

Source: thepittsburghchannel.com Frown
woof woof

PSY
K9 Kaki

Mar 23, 2007, 7:28 PM

Post #19 of 21 (1027 views)
Shortcut

Not certain why you posting this article, I never mentioned beating a dog with a baseball bat or even a roll up newspaper is right. I am pointing out what has been said so far to date is not clear inparticular with teenages with their first pup or first pup owners. Foe instance, you got yourself a pup with bad rtemperament or a very dominant pup that snaps when anything it feels is his/her, ok as I have read from this postings, throw it a toy, a bunch of keys whatver, fine so now it is playing with them, can you take it away? As one is not allowed to "scold or raise the ones voice" and this form of behaviour persist, you try and take things away from the dog when it is full grown. Please tell it to the first time owner how to solve this issue without "scolding" or reprimand the dog.

Milosevic
Novice

Mar 24, 2007, 8:02 AM

Post #20 of 21 (1016 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Not certain why you posting this article, I never mentioned beating a dog with a baseball bat or even a roll up newspaper is right. I am pointing out what has been said so far to date is not clear inparticular with teenages with their first pup or first pup owners. Foe instance, you got yourself a pup with bad rtemperament or a very dominant pup that snaps when anything it feels is his/her, ok as I have read from this postings, throw it a toy, a bunch of keys whatver, fine so now it is playing with them, can you take it away? As one is not allowed to "scold or raise the ones voice" and this form of behaviour persist, you try and take things away from the dog when it is full grown. Please tell it to the first time owner how to solve this issue without "scolding" or reprimand the dog.

It's called 'training' or rehabilitating. Clicker training is one of the best examples.

It is like you saying- smoking marijuana is okay but taking extacy is not! You are a great believer of 'tapping' your dog's mouth and etc....how do you draw the line then? How you ensure you wont go overboard everytime? What message are you sending to a novice?

Frown
woof woof

(This post was edited by Milosevic on Mar 24, 2007, 8:06 AM)

PSY
K9 Kaki

Mar 24, 2007, 5:15 PM

Post #21 of 21 (1008 views)
Shortcut

As you have mentioned "training" I discipline myself to know how hard. Anyway I am going off this subject as I am catching a number of your posting on Obedience training, walking on short lead, etc. Well all the best as I am a dog trainer, not the type that bring your own dog for training and call oneself a dog trainer but those that goes to a pound and pick one dog and train so that it can be adopted. All I wish to say is I love to see you handle your dog in a dog gathering as in Puppy. Com.

Again, I wish you all the best, oh I did not condemn clicker training or any other methods of dog training.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my