Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Breed Specific: Working Group:
Need your opinion: Thinking of keeping a guard dog.

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2007, 12:09 AM

Post #1 of 14 (1413 views)
Shortcut
Need your opinion: Thinking of keeping a guard dog. Can't Post

WinkHi all,

Need your opinion here. I think i need a guard dog to guard my house. Even thought i have a mix terrier at home, but she doesn't seems like a good watch dog nor a guard dog . But anyway. she is always out beloved house pet.Blush The main reason of thinking of owning a guard dog is i feel that my neighbourhood is no longer safe and is getting worst. My sis lost her car parked in front of our house some where Jun 2006 and my mum got robbed right in front of our house a month ago. More over, my myvi's fog light got stolen over night parked in front of our house when i came back from penang during weekends. Mad

We did thought of installing a house alarm system but i think best is to have a guard dog who can look after our house/ our car parked outside (inftont) of our house as we are all females in the houseLaugh My grandma said maybe the robber knew that and keep bully us!!!! Crazy Perhaps a guard dog will help a lot/ at least to scare away ppl who comes near.Mad

hmm.. need valueble opinion from you all to select the right breed. Any suggestion? My home is a semi-D.
**A pet is a LIFE TIME commitment..**

(This post was edited by carinmanfong on Feb 19, 2007, 12:20 AM)

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2007, 7:39 PM

Post #2 of 14 (1379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [carinmanfong] Need your opinion: Thinking of keeping a guard dog. [In reply to] Can't Post

Im thinking of getting a doberman. Any breeder out therE? and how much is the price Blush

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Feb 22, 2007, 7:57 PM

Post #3 of 14 (1377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [carinmanfong] Need your opinion: Thinking of keeping a guard dog. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi carinmanfong,
I think the beat way to find the info u need is through ur own research. Everyone has their opinion and they are all different (not necessarily wrong).
Some ppl say,rotts are best...another would say gsd's are great,others would say dobe...and maybe pits too. They all have their pro's and con's.
IMHO, the breed isn't really that important...but the temperament is.Temperament is very important.
Dobes make great watchdogs. Pls get a properly bred one tho. The ones from puppy millers tend to have skin and hip problems.
Hope this helps.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

PSY
K9 Kaki

Feb 23, 2007, 3:42 AM

Post #4 of 14 (1367 views)
Shortcut

Hi, just caught your posting and what realitydreamer has posted is right, it all depends on individual taste as to the breed of dog you require. there is a different between a "watch dog and a guard dog". I wouls suggest a watch dog instead of a guard dog and as for breed, and obviously a dob. Nevertheless, if you wish to know more interms of the dog and breeders you can contact me at liteweimer @ yahoo . com All the best in your search.

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2007, 4:46 AM

Post #5 of 14 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Need your opinion: Thinking of keeping a guard dog. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi realitydreamer.. i would prefer a dobe, because he looks like "little devil" to me. hehe..
thanks fr your opinion. i've done some research on the internet and books on dobe during cny holidays. Wink i believe he can make a very good watch/ guard dog. After doing some research on the temperament and etc. i found that i may not fullfill the the "exercise" criteria where i need to walk my dobe 4-5 times a week at least.because I'm not staying in my home town due to work commitment, but i will go back for a day or 2 every weekends. i think it is not enough right? all i have is a semi-D compound for her to run around. is it ok?Crazy

(This post was edited by carinmanfong on Feb 23, 2007, 4:55 AM)

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2007, 5:00 AM

Post #6 of 14 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Need your opinion: Thinking of keeping a guard dog. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your help. just wondering... what are the diff between guard dog/ watch dog? i thought dobe falls under guard dog as he can protect their master. Anyway, i have add you in my yahoo messenger. Laugh

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Feb 23, 2007, 7:17 PM

Post #7 of 14 (1347 views)
Shortcut

Like PSY said,there's a difference between watch dogs and guard dogs. Guard dogs are trained to bite while watch watch dogs bark and keep strangers at bay.
Where will the dog be? Your hometown? If you are going to see the dog only a couple days a week,try to get someone at home to bond with the dog. If not,controlling her may be a prob.
I guess the space seems ok but I think the human interaction is lacking. She'll need a leader. Smile Perhaps other family members?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

PSY
K9 Kaki

Feb 23, 2007, 9:04 PM

Post #8 of 14 (1345 views)
Shortcut

Hi, just to follow up on the postings, again realitydreamer beat me to it as realitydreamer is right, time is very important, dobs, rotties and in some cases GSD are cunning lot they will challenge the owner, in most cases small ways but then again you will never know it may be a big way, hence someone at home must let the dog realise the ranking and that it always comes out last for them. One must treat a dog a dog and never a member of the family like how one may treat "a child" an in law.

To define "How to treat a dog a dog" is very subjective but for me, if you can command your dog to do whatever without "shouting" is awfully good and that is how it is.

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2007, 12:21 AM

Post #9 of 14 (1336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Need your opinion: Thinking of keeping a guard dog. [In reply to] Can't Post

The dog will be at my hometown and i will be in penang. My family members will be taking good care of the dog Smile togtaher. Anyway, we will do all the neccessities to take good care of the dog as a responsible owner Blush

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2007, 12:35 AM

Post #10 of 14 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Need your opinion: Thinking of keeping a guard dog. [In reply to] Can't Post

hehee... i think i pamper my dog too much.. my dog only listen to my grandma and my mum. Animal knows who he has to manja and who must he listen to. Laugh

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2007, 3:34 PM

Post #11 of 14 (1325 views)
Shortcut

not totally not listen, just i hv to tell twice sometimes, they just tell once. Anyway, they are very bonded to me.Sometimes i feel like their eyes like taking to me le..

Oh.. PSY, Thanks for your info ya. I will call the breeder when im free. perhaps i should get my sister to call, since she will be person who spend more time with the dog. Smile

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Feb 26, 2007, 5:02 AM

Post #12 of 14 (1311 views)
Shortcut

" not totally not listen, just i hv to tell twice sometimes, they just tell once."
That's the difference with the bondSmile
Getting the ppl who will be taking care of this dog/pup involved while getting him would be a great idea so that they noe wht they'll be dealing with the next 10-13 yrs
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Feb 26, 2007, 6:04 AM

Post #13 of 14 (1307 views)
Shortcut

sorry.re-read my post.my mistake.
i'm not sure how the arrangement is in the hse but in my situation because the other family members do interact with the dog on a daily basis,she does not really listen to them. I'll tell her once she'll listen but they hv to do so a couple of times.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2007, 4:17 AM

Post #14 of 14 (1276 views)
Shortcut

hmm.. for my oscar/ bonnie... they will listen to me when i ask them to sit/hand/ etc. but when it comes to "no no" they will listen more to my other family members.

But when other family members ask them to sit/hand/etc, they will look at me and refuse to do it. Seems to me like they are asking me "should i do that for him?" weird huh...Unsure

(This post was edited by carinmanfong on Feb 28, 2007, 4:23 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my