Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Low Platelet Count in Blood (thrombocytopenia)

squeek
Novice

Feb 9, 2007, 7:51 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1893 views)
Shortcut
Low Platelet Count in Blood (thrombocytopenia) Can't Post

I brought my dog to the vet because she had red patches on her body. According to the vet, and after a blood test, its due to low platelet count in her blood that's causing this.

The vet is not sure what is the root cause of it and has given two types of medication, one is antibiotics to kill blood parasites (if there are any), and one more is to suppress her immune system in case its my dog's own immune system killing the platelets.

I understand that suppressing the immune system can be dangerous ... anybody has any experience in this and any advise as to what the vet has presribed is safe for my dog ?

Amanda85
Doggyman

Feb 12, 2007, 8:20 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [squeek] Low Platelet Count in Blood (thrombocytopenia) [In reply to] Can't Post

when ur dog is under antibiotic that will supress her immune system...juz make sure ur dog is well isolated, away from other dogs n dun bring her out for walk...

as for low platelet count...i thought d vet should prescribed iron?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

coffee

May 12, 2007, 6:40 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Low Platelet Count in Blood (thrombocytopenia) [In reply to] Can't Post

Iron is not indicated in case of low platelet count. Iron will be prescribe in case of iron deficiency, either not taking enough through proper diet or through massive blood lost. Blood loss from lowplatelet count results in mainly blue black and red dots on the skin. The iron from the haemoglobin will be reabsopred by the white cells and recirculate into the liver. Unless there is a major blood loss into the intestine and stomach or external bleeding, iron is not indicated.

Low platelet count majority as a result of tick fever. So the most important thing is to do tick control and the vet normally will give you antibiotic for the blood parasite.

stars
Novice

May 17, 2007, 10:17 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [squeek] Low Platelet Count in Blood (thrombocytopenia) [In reply to] Can't Post

please check out this url for more information of tick fever.

http://www.mirage-samoyeds.com/tick.htm#2.

sometimes after several tests done at the vet clinic, there is still no known causes. you may need to discuss with your 'trusted' vet to find out what actually happen to your dog. becos many diseases have almost same or similar symtoms.

at the same time, keep note of what your dog eats, where he go for walks, his living environment for any allergies, insects bites, toxins etc.

hope your dog can resolve his condition soon

squeek
Novice

May 18, 2007, 2:58 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stars] Low Platelet Count in Blood (thrombocytopenia) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you all for your advice :)

My doggie is well now, after taking the tablets from the vet. Now, she seem to have skin rashes more than being low on platelet counts. Hehe.

supermutts
K9 Senior

May 18, 2007, 5:00 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1774 views)
Shortcut

great,
so did his platelet count increases ?

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

pandorabox
Novice

Aug 25, 2007, 2:45 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coffee] Low Platelet Count in Blood (thrombocytopenia) [In reply to] Can't Post

Wah!!!! coffee is vet meh??? so detailed explanation?? Tongue

cheers,

jay

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my