Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Any place has dog training besides MKA??

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Nov 17, 2001, 10:29 AM

Post #1 of 23 (6784 views)
Shortcut
Any place has dog training besides MKA?? Can't Post

I really need to find a dog Obedience class but the MKA class is already full. Anyone knows of any other classes?? If I don't go now, my puppy will get to old..someone..HELP!!!

atom
Novice

Mar 22, 2002, 1:44 AM

Post #2 of 23 (6742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Any place has dog training besides MKA?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi rainbow ! please browse www.sunnyk9.com for more information.

Tongue

Andrew

Mar 22, 2002, 2:07 AM

Post #3 of 23 (6739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Any place has dog training besides MKA?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah me too..I would like my dog to enroll too..

I think sunnyk9 training school is for the hardcore type of training. even though they have such a class..Consider the FEE...

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

atom
Novice

Mar 26, 2002, 7:46 AM

Post #4 of 23 (6726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrew] Any place has dog training besides MKA?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked Andrew, izzit the trainning fees r is very EXPENSIVE ?

regards,
Li Mee.

atom
Novice

Mar 26, 2002, 7:49 AM

Post #5 of 23 (6725 views)
Shortcut

what about the "stephen" tranning school ?

Li Mee Wink

Andrew

Mar 26, 2002, 8:00 AM

Post #6 of 23 (6724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [atom] Any place has dog training besides MKA?? [In reply to] Can't Post

At Stephen, I heard that it will cost about RM 1500 just only for the obedience class. I overheard this when a lady standing beside me asking to one of them....and another RM 2000-2500 ( if i'm not mistaken) to train your dog as a guard dog....

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

May
Old Hand

Mar 26, 2002, 6:59 PM

Post #7 of 23 (6716 views)
Shortcut

I think MKA class is the cheapest. Too bad I can't join.....transportation problem.

yipkweelian
New User

Aug 20, 2002, 12:56 AM

Post #8 of 23 (6655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [atom] Any place has dog training besides MKA?? [In reply to] Can't Post

i just visited sunnyk9.com. its too far away from my place. i am stayed in JB, do u have any other info 4 tranining course? please..........Blush

TohCS
Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2002, 1:49 AM

Post #9 of 23 (6649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yipkweelian] Any place has dog training besides MKA?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Yip Wee Lian,

You can train your own dog. Just get some good books and work around it.
I was too late in registering my doggie for training with MKA and I am desperate to get my doggie on training so I invested in books .
Pros and cons of training on our own is as follows:-

Pros
(1) You can used your own method as long as you communicate to the dog what you want it to do.
(2) You need not worry about having a lousy trainer.
(Sometimes that happens ie just like there are good and bad teachers in school there are also good and bad dog trainers).

Cons
(1) You will need to work alone with your dog. If you go to training classes you have a large group so your dog learns to work in a group.

(2) You have a trainer watch you handling the dog to give you feedbacks. Yes not only will your doggie be learning so will you.

As for the any training centers in JB sorry I have no idea.

Good luck

Cheng See

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)

yipkweelian
New User

Aug 22, 2002, 12:28 AM

Post #10 of 23 (6628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TohCS] Any place has dog training besides MKA?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! Cheng See,

Actually, i m started trained her since i brought her home, sit - lay down - stand up - wait - fetch - come back and shake hand, but sometime she refused to follow my instructions and alway show me her face" so boring".aiMad

And, she is "too friendly" & "excited" when meet strangers. Sometimes, I have to hug her to forced her cool down a bit. She is a huge breed dog - St. Bernard!!!!!!! she is 9 months old now, how long i still can hug her anymore when her getting bigger.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your reply. Can u recommend some books for me?

kwee lian.

wkser
ALPHA

Aug 22, 2002, 12:36 AM

Post #11 of 23 (6626 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yipkweelian] Any place has dog training besides MKA?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi kweelian,
i think you better have a treat in your hand you trainning will be more easier but don' stay to long with your treat you can change to praising if he know what you want..........happy trying

regards

TohCS
Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2002, 2:24 AM

Post #12 of 23 (6624 views)
Shortcut

Hi YipWeeLian,

Glad to hear you have move on to train your doggie on your own. CONGRATULATIONS!
There are various areas of training:-
(1) Housetraining
(2) Obedience training
(3) Agility training.
(4) Trick Training

I know what you mean about having to 'stop' your doggie from bouncing on other people especially a StBernard. If she bounce on me I will be flat Laugh.

Wkser is right about treats to motivate your doggie. However it also depens on what your doggie prefers. Some doggie prefer to have their favourite toy as a reward. Which ever way you will need to fade off the treat once the dog have learn.

My beagle also gets bored when I kept on training her the same over and over again. I am registering her for a obedience trail this coming show in Sept.
YES I am risking embarasing Blush myself. But then I think to myself I need the experience and so does Belle my beagle. So "Why Not?" .
Anyway back to the issue of a bored doggie....besides obedience training and housetraining insert in some fun trick training.
Get the "Dog Trick for Dummies" book . The the doggie will get to learn new things everytime .

As for leaping on people, I know this is not easy. Sometimes you will need corporation from visitors as well. For example I am stopping Belle from jumping on people by giving her a firm NO and when she stops the leaping I will praise her. But unfortunately out of politeness most people will say "Oh it's okay" Come Belle, come on my lap". EErghh.... they are confusing the poor doggie.

By the way I am using positive training method.
If you would like to find out more
email me at .

Happy training.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)

luckey
ALPHA

Sep 20, 2002, 4:23 AM

Post #13 of 23 (6580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TohCS] Any place has dog training besides MKA?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh there are obedience trials? Would love to join those when Luckey's older... are you based in the Klang Valley?

Khoobg
Webmaster

Sep 20, 2002, 5:02 AM

Post #14 of 23 (6577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Any place has dog training besides MKA?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Both obedience trial held this year are in Kuala Lumpur but venue change from time to time.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

luckey
ALPHA

Sep 20, 2002, 5:20 AM

Post #15 of 23 (6575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Any place has dog training besides MKA?? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the obedience trials / competitions, do we just need to get our dog to do a set of commands, or are there ways we need to administer these commands?

ie. does if matter what sign language or word i use to get luckey to sit/stay/down etc?

Khoobg
Webmaster

Sep 20, 2002, 5:48 AM

Post #16 of 23 (6574 views)
Shortcut

There are four classes of obedience trail organized by MKA. They are :-
  • Pre Novice
  • Novice
  • Intermediate
  • Open

For example, the test for the Pre Novice Class is as follow (by Arthur in another thread) :-

For Pre-Novice, the following will be tested:

Heelwork - Walking on leash with handler,normal pace. The team (ie. you and the doggie) will be judged on your responses to these commands: Forward,Halt, Right turn, Left turn,Stand & About turn. Next would be the figure of 8 heelwork.

Recall (on leash) - Sit the dog, walk about 6 ft in front, call the dog. Dog comes and sits in front of the handler, handler issues the finish command, dog moves behind the handler to resume the heel position on the left side.

Sit stay (off leash)- Sit the dog, remove the leash, issue the stay command, leave the dog, walk about 20ft away, about turn & face the dog. Wait 30sec. Return to the dog and resume the heel position. The dog's front paws should NOT leave contact with the ground. (otherwise the dog would automatically be disqualified!)

Down stay (off leash) - Same as sit stay above except you down the dog before moving away. Wait 1 minute. Dog should NOT stand up otherwise it'll auto disqualified. Dog can shift about but the body must NOT leave contact with the ground.

Passing mark is 75 for pre-novice.

For the Novice Class, the Trial will be more difficult and the handler is not allowed to issue double command. There is also a need to go off leash for the Novice Class.

Cheers

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 20, 2002, 8:38 AM

Post #17 of 23 (6571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Any place has dog training besides MKA?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why don't you drop by on 29Sep02 from 4-6pm at Padang Merbuk, Jalan Gasing PJ to observe the Canine Good Citizen,Pre-Novice and Novice exams? I'll be there to take the CGC exam for my youngest furkid (10mths)

And regarding the Pre-Novice Passing mark, there's a correction..it should be 70 and NOT 75. (75 is for Novice) My mistake when I first posted that info.

Rdgs Arthur

(This post was edited by arthur on Sep 20, 2002, 8:43 AM)

luckey
ALPHA

Sep 21, 2002, 12:56 AM

Post #18 of 23 (6562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Any place has dog training besides MKA?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Will these exams be on every Sunday, coz I might not be able to come this Sunday. Would love to watch!

Hey when you say exam, what do you get at the end, a cert? or is it a competition where you can win? Also, when you win a show or obedience class what do you get? A ribbon or prizemoney as well? thanks :)

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 21, 2002, 2:08 AM

Post #19 of 23 (6559 views)
Shortcut

Goodness no! There's no exam every Sunday..if so, where got fun-lah!Crazy

Sept29 is the scheduled exam date for CGC, Pre-Novice & Novice levels. After Sept29, there'll be a 2 week break and on graduation day, (normally on a Saturday) you'll know whether you have passed or not. For CGC, your dog will get a medal plus a bag of dogfood from our kind sponsors while you'll get a cert.

For championship obedience trails (normally held only 3 times a year), there'll be a trophy & big bag of dogfood for the top 4 places for each category ie. Pre-Novice, Novice, Intermediate, Open. In addition, all those who qualify for their respective levels will get an certificate as well. Sorry, no prize money involved.

Rdgs Arthur

luckey
ALPHA

Sep 21, 2002, 7:34 AM

Post #20 of 23 (6553 views)
Shortcut

Thanks! Sounds good... guess we don't do it for the money anyway, but would be cool to win some cash to buy our doggies toys!

Think I'll be joining you guys once luckey and i are ready. good luck with the test on the 29th. What's your dog's name and what kind of dog?

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 21, 2002, 9:08 AM

Post #21 of 23 (6550 views)
Shortcut

Well I feel in love with them bearded rascals, the miniature schnauzers. So much so that I have 3 of them.. starting with Pepper (2yrs,female), Lee-Sha (1.5yrs,female) and Lee-Ron (10mths,Male). Pepper has just qualified in the recent obedience trails in the Novice class, whereas Lee-Sha has also qualified for her Pre-Novice as well. The youngest one is going to take his CGC exam on 29Sept.

Hope to see you and Luckey soon at the padang...

Rdgs Arthur

luckey
ALPHA

Sep 21, 2002, 9:17 AM

Post #22 of 23 (6549 views)
Shortcut

Your dogs all sound so clever!!

Luckey will be the first of my dogs to receive formal training... thought i'd like my next dog to be well mannered! well she is my dog rather than a general family dog, which is nice, coz means i can teach her what i want and spoil her how i want *hehe

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 21, 2002, 10:24 AM

Post #23 of 23 (6546 views)
Shortcut

Yes, it's always a special feeling when you have your own dog. I'm sure Luckey will do well in her obedience training. What the instructors teach us at the padang is just 10%. The remaining 90% of the training goes to the handler(that's us!) to train with our furkids at home. Personally, I find the time spent training together helps to foster a closer bond between me and the doggies.

Rdgs Arthur

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my