My Lab Have Skin Infection

Snow yi
Novice

Jan 28, 2007, 8:07 AM

Post #1 of 19 (7160 views)
Shortcut
My Lab Have Skin Infection Can't Post

Dear all dog Lovers,

I have a lab of 6 months old, now he having a skin infection, I'm not sure it cuz by what, but today i bring him to see the vet and they told me that he might allergic to the flea or ticks. And she give me some medical for 5 days taken orally and also she recommend me to use the Flea Collar, but what i heard is the flea collar does not work for pervention. At the moment I cant find any flea or ticks on his body but he always scratch his back and bite till all his hair fall off and I can see some black patches and red on his skin.

One of my friends recommend me to use the Flea control which is 1 drop on this back of his neck which is more effective. What do you guys can advise me to stop from his itchness and prevent of flea. I bought a medicated shampoo of anti-fungal, anti bacterial and stop itchness from the pet shop.

Should I get 2nd opinion from the vet? Currently I'm staying in Kepong and do you have any good vet to recommend to me around PJ area?

Please give me some advise

Thanks,

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Feb 1, 2007, 9:33 PM

Post #2 of 19 (7143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Snow yi] My Lab Have Skin Infection [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

how;s ur lab now? i don think it's flea n ticks lo...if it's ticks, you would be able to see it and catch it...well, if it;'s really fleas n ticks, then i will recommend frontline spray or frontline spot on....very effective...

but since u mentioned that there are black patches and reddish on the skin, i would think getting a 2nd opinion would be better...

but unfortunately cant advise u on the vet in PJ coz i am from pg not pj....sorry ya!

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

moses
Novice

Feb 1, 2007, 10:58 PM

Post #3 of 19 (7140 views)
Shortcut

Hi Snowyi,

ouch...the patch looks kinda sore...my MS has minor dry skin problems now and then. and i take to this vet in sunway damansara on PJ. he's good and gives good advice. his number is 03 -6156 2478

Kookee
Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2007, 8:52 PM

Post #4 of 19 (7132 views)
Shortcut

Heyah Snow,

You might want to describe in more details on how the so called infection looked like. Your vet might be rite, but be wary, coz if it's ticks and fleas, normally you can see them. Is your lab an outdoor or indoor dog? The location of the skin infection also says a lot. Other causes of infection maybe due to dietary (very ma-fan, this one...), washing agent e.g. shampoo, its location etc etc....As your vet suggested, try ruling out fleas, ticks first by putting on flea collar, spot-on (neck drop; Frontline), spray etc. Take no chance. If symptoms persist, well....off you go to the vet. But it's good if you can describe how the infection looks like and see whether I can relate the condition to those of my two gals. Oh ya, mine also a lab and the other one is a mongrel.

Cheers!

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

Snow yi
Novice

Feb 5, 2007, 10:02 PM

Post #5 of 19 (7114 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] My Lab Have Skin Infection [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jessica,

I bring my Lab, Clifford to see another vet yesterday, he have biten by those mites, so those frontline spray is not work for him. The doctor gave him an injection and he also give some medicine for him. I will keep monitor of his skin. Mostly his skin at his back of the body turn to black colour and sometimes i can see some scar.

His a indoor and outdoor puppy, I bring him walk every morning before I go to work and sometimes at night. He sleep outside at night but since that he have skin infection I wont let him sleep outside. Frown

Thank you guys for all your advise. I wil try to post Clifford picture for you guys to see where the area he have his skin problem.

Thanks

zhung

May 10, 2007, 5:39 AM

Post #6 of 19 (6958 views)
Shortcut

Hello Snow Yi,

My puppy had a very serious skin problem before but it is cure now. I just want to recommend you something here. You should use a functioning shampoo now but not those who buy it from pet shop but for those who get it from vet. The brand is Dermcare very good functioning shampoo that only can get from vet but not pet shop.

Dermcare have few types but I would like to recommend Sebolyse to you for anti fungal & bacteria. If flea & tick I think you can try Malaseb (Poison) type of functioning shampoo. For those red spot & scar, I think u can try this lotion to help it recover fast, brand named Natural Vet anti-fungal lotion. U can get it from pet shop. Not all pet shop have sell, even pet safari I cannot find. I get it from Petsmore pet shop that located in petaling street. Hopefully this lil information that can help.

Snow yi
Novice

May 13, 2007, 3:31 AM

Post #7 of 19 (6948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zhung] My Lab Have Skin Infection [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Zhung,

Thank you so much for your information. I heard about the malaseb shampoo, now im using a organic shampoo for my puppy. He does not have flea or ticks and recenly my vet told me that he have skin sensitive and he cannot have too high of protein in his dog food. Now my puppy is eating Evolve dry food for puppies and I mixed some dog meat (cann food) to fed him. My doctor advise me not to fed him the cann food because of his skin but my puppy he dont eat his food without the meat and i try the tricks not to fed him the meat but he dont eat and he starve for whole day. At the end i still fed him with dog meat mixed with dry food.

May I know which brand dog food which low protein or canned food which is low protein that i can change to fed him?

Before that i fed him of Nutro Choice Lamb & Rice for his skin n shiny coat and then i switch to Evovle.

Hope that the dog expert here can give me some advice.

Thanks

zhung

May 14, 2007, 4:44 AM

Post #8 of 19 (6937 views)
Shortcut

Hi Snow Yi

Your vet r correct, some puppies might allergic on high protein. My dog also have the same problem previously suffer on high protein source. I had tried few brands but it doesn't, finally a vet introduced me Eagle Pack Holistic Select (lamb & rice). It's a good kibble but abit costly because it is a Holistic. You may check up the kibble's protein how much it contain. Most probably I don't recommend that kibble that over 22% but Puppy Kibble mostly contain protein 26% & above.

Actually you can try this few brand. Blackwood, Eagle Pack, Eukanuba & Addiction. For canned foods you can try Addiction Possum & Vegetable. This canned foods have low protein & is abit costly too. If you afraid of protein you can try to feed them Vegetable Kibble or Fish Kibble.

Your puppy have some skin infection sometimes maybe cause by the weather because these days the weather is very warm in the day time. Heaty is always there because of our weather & the kibble we feed. You can try to let your puppy drink glocusa original flavour 1 to reduce the heat on body.

Snow yi
Novice

May 15, 2007, 12:00 AM

Post #9 of 19 (6925 views)
Shortcut

Hi Zhung

Thank you for your info. ya i have check most the puppy food has at least 26% protien. I get to know from the radio that Purina Pro Plan has a new food for sensitive system which contains salmon which the omega 3 can help for skin infection. You think should i try that?

May i know where to get the glocosa from? pet shop or vet?

Thank you so much for your advise.

zhung

May 15, 2007, 12:09 AM

Post #10 of 19 (6921 views)
Shortcut

Hi Snow Yi,

Yes most probably puppy kibble are 26% - 29% protein but you can try adult kibble that contain not more than 22% protein. I prefer Holistic kibble, is abit costly but if over budget you can try super premium kibble.

Purina, Pedigree & etc. These type of supermarket brands I have no idea & do not have confident at all. Better don't try if ur puppy r allergic. If you buy the kibble like Holistic, most probably they come with omega 3&6 for healthy skin condition. I'm not sure about super premium kibble.

The Glocusa human drink 1 ar, when we r young mother give us drink 1, blue tin canned. You can buy in any supermarket but remember original flavour only because don't want to create a picky doggie.

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

May 15, 2007, 12:50 AM

Post #11 of 19 (6919 views)
Shortcut

Hi zhung,

May I know how much u bought Eagle Pack Holistic Select ( lamb n rice ) ? Is it over rm60 for 3kg packet ?

zhung

May 15, 2007, 7:04 AM

Post #12 of 19 (6910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessyca_loh] My Lab Have Skin Infection [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Jessyca,

The price range around RM46 for 3kg lamb & rice, if you can cheaper than this price. Then is good. I'm feeding my puppy this brand. It works well.

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

May 15, 2007, 8:00 PM

Post #13 of 19 (6903 views)
Shortcut

Hmm then i ought to go back to petshop to check the price out again cos i did glimpse its around rm60 lor..maybe my eyes blur blur then..hehe.

Anyways im feeding NutriEdge Lamb n Rice which is also holistic to my 5mths old poodle lor, the problem is that i encounter worms in the kibbles and twice liao some more, the 2nd 3.6kg packet which i bought hor, i ensure that i pack separately the ones that im feeding everyday and store the rest in the air tight container, somehow it was still infested with worms..Pirate

So currently im buying the 1kg packet to feed my furkid at the moment and at the same time trying to find another holistic brand to replace with her current food lor..if Eagle Pack Holistic is around that price then should be worth a try..

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

May 23, 2007, 12:33 AM

Post #14 of 19 (6870 views)
Shortcut

Hi Zhung,

I went to check out Eagle Pack Holistic Select - Lamb n Rice from a nearby petshop and they are selling Rm50 for 3kg packet..kinda expensive compare to the place where u bought urs lor..

andrew_mei
Dog Kichi

May 23, 2007, 5:13 PM

Post #15 of 19 (6863 views)
Shortcut

Hi,
My dog have the same problem which the vet told me that he too high on protein that why he got redish mark all over his back.....
So currently I feedign him science plan z/d...is kibbles but without anything like organic food...according to the vet......but is really really expensive....
another way you can try is..porridge and carrot...it work's on my furkid...cause if constantly kibble I be broke ....Frown

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

May 23, 2007, 9:42 PM

Post #16 of 19 (6857 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andrew_mei] My Lab Have Skin Infection [In reply to] Can't Post

HI, Ive read somewhere about Science Plan Z/D but dun think i see it selling anywhere in the petshops here in Penang lor..

My furkid rashes have healed therefore not planning to change her food just yet..

goofydip
Veteran

May 23, 2007, 9:59 PM

Post #17 of 19 (6856 views)
Shortcut

Jessyca, as I know, those z/d or watever /d food doesn't sold in petshop. Try to get it from vet instead...Last time, when Goofy kena parvo, the vet gave him i/d..I search all over but can't get and that only the vet has it.

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

May 23, 2007, 10:44 PM

Post #18 of 19 (6855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goofydip] My Lab Have Skin Infection [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh is it Lily ? My nearest Vet sells Eukanuba one..same goes to the Vet my colleague goes to...

goofydip
Veteran

May 24, 2007, 3:11 AM

Post #19 of 19 (6850 views)
Shortcut

yes yes, It's me!!hehehe...You in Penang ar? If KL I think I still got the card where Goofy stays for his Parvo treatment, there did sell those food. I don't have the address now, give u tomolo, ok?

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my