Removing Tear Stains

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 16, 2003, 5:51 PM

Post #1 of 9 (1345 views)
Shortcut
Removing Tear Stains Can't Post

Hi guys,

Do you guys have any experience in removing tear stains for your dogs? Sparkle's right eye constantly has some *stuff* coming out and it has stained the corner of his eyes. It now looks a little brownish where the stain is. I try to wipe his eyes everyday with a damp and warm cloth. While I can remove the stuff from his eyes, the stain and the brown colour remains on the fur next to his eyes.

The vet said the stuff coming out of his eye is normal and nothing to worry about and even told me that I could use EyeMo and Optrex on him. So, I'll try that out soon.

But for the stains.....any ideas anyone? Crazy

angekok

May 16, 2003, 6:27 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Removing Tear Stains [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Michelle...

I heard that the contact lenses' saline can be used for that purpose too... Donut is also having some eye discharge too, but because he is dark in colour, can't really notice ler... So, i use only damp cloth to wipe "it" off.

From one of the thread, I also read that letting doggies haf apple cider vineger will help to reduce those discharge... I'm currently trying out on my furkid....

Cheers~~

Lots of Doggies' Love, Ange.

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 17, 2003, 8:38 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [angekok] Removing Tear Stains [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi angekok, Smile

thanks for your advise. I'm actually already going to start Sparkle on the apple cide vinegar soon. Wink but do you have any suggestions on how to remove the stain which is already on his fur? I can't seem to wipe it off with a cloth and the stain stays! Crazy

Anyone else has experience?

angekok

May 20, 2003, 9:22 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1316 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Michelle.

I was at the vet clinic with Donut on last Saturday. According to the vet, the tear stain removing solution (available at petstores and clinics) can do the work just fine... Hope this helps alil...

Cheers~~

(This post was edited by angekok on May 20, 2003, 9:24 PM)

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 20, 2003, 10:44 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [angekok] Removing Tear Stains [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi angekok, Smile

Thanks so much!! I saw the tear stain removers from the pet shops too but wanted to wait till I brought Sparkle to the vet to get his opinion first before I used it on him. I was afraid that the chemicals would be too harsh cause it's near the eye area and also because he's still very young.

But if ur vet confirms this, I think it should be ok. Would go and get one to try out. I'll let you know if it works or not!!

angekok

May 20, 2003, 10:57 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1308 views)
Shortcut

Michelle,

okie okie...hope it works... catch up with u soon....

cheers, pal~~

shyeow2
Canine Addict

May 23, 2003, 10:22 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1289 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

my another pup Russel having the same prob as well. I bring him to vet in subang parade, my personal comments would say they quite pro. Besides I get some solution for Russel cough, they also give me the eye drop ( speacial for dog) they didn't charge me on that. I forget the eye drop name, I can find out for u if u needed so. After Russel apply on it, only few days he is going to recover.

I guess you should bring him to vet, pls don't apply eye mol?Unsure
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 26, 2003, 7:51 AM

Post #8 of 9 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] Removing Tear Stains [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Shirley, Smile

My vet said EyeMo and Optrex is completely ok to use on dogs. Checked with the vet again over the weekend and he said some puppies have a problem with their eye duct so I'll need to massage it a little. As for the stains...I could choose to wait and let it go or try one of the tear stain remover solutions from the petshop. I'll wait another week or two because if possible I don't want to use the chemicals too near his eyes. Only if it doesn't come off I'll go but it to try remove the stains.

anna_kys

May 29, 2003, 9:45 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1259 views)
Shortcut

I have been using the tear stain remover on my puppy for the past few weeks but the result is not visible yet. I think the solution is quite mild as my puppy enjoys letting me wipe her with the solution every night.

According to my vet, it is pure cosmetic. If you don't mind the stain, all you need to do is to wipe your dog with a wet cotton. However, if the discharge is excessive, then you may need to check with the vet as it may be due to tear duct problem.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my