Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Breed Specific: Gundog Group:
Why most of MSIAN Golden/Labrador RETRIEVER so small?

FuGGer
Novice

Jan 15, 2007, 10:26 PM

Post #1 of 12 (3192 views)
Shortcut
Why most of MSIAN Golden/Labrador RETRIEVER so small? Can't Post

ok...firstly this post is not meant to offend anyone...

ive been overseas for many years and been interested in these 2 breeds ie GR and LR...

yesterday, i manage to attend the k9day at central park...and was quite astonished to see that majority of the golden retrievers and labrador retrievers were quite smallish...

so im wondering why...

is it bcoz most were still infants?

or is it bcoz the hot weather in msia has contributed to the smaller size...more panting to release heat...hence more energy used so they become smaller?

cld it be that the locally bred GR/LR are slowly changing their genes and become smaller to cope with the heat in MSIA?

comments?

edit...

btw...most of the siberian huskies and st bernard are small to my eyes...

(This post was edited by FuGGer on Jan 15, 2007, 10:34 PM)

simchi

Jan 17, 2007, 5:56 AM

Post #2 of 12 (3177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FuGGer] Why most of MSIAN Golden/Labrador RETRIEVER so small? [In reply to] Can't Post

hello furgger ...

my dad and me sister too told me about those labbies in the england and the state are GIANTS . They are weighing up to 135lbs CrazyCrazyCrazy but the breeed standard says otherwise lor . they supposed to weigh 55lbs to 75lbs ... so yeah , you know guai lo sizes and all .

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jan 17, 2007, 10:03 PM

Post #3 of 12 (3165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FuGGer] Why most of MSIAN Golden/Labrador RETRIEVER so small? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Your observation is very accurate and I think most Malaysian Labs and GR, commonly seen are of the Australian bloodlines and very seldom can you see American blood lines especially at K9 gathering of this nature. Breeding good looking dogs seems to be a secondary issue that is to the standard and anyway as I have mentioned at this K9 gathering it is usually attended by dog lovers. I, too attend these type of gatherings but for me it is to do temperament test that is walking thru the crowd with dogs and my dog must not flinch or do anything else but just heel thru but here again to each his own for attending.

Do hope I have sort of clear things up for you.

In Reply To

Sydney
Doggyman

Jan 18, 2007, 12:48 AM

Post #4 of 12 (3163 views)
Shortcut

Frown Well, some msian dog genes arent that well produce. Well, all i can say that the LR and GR arent born from those champion breed dogsUnimpressed Some of the dogs are small cause they arent fully grown yet and it takes time to grow big. IT also depends on whether the dog is a big bone type. Malaysians are usually skinny so their dogs oso skinny and small

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

(This post was
edited by Sydney on Jan 18, 2007, 12:49 AM)

FuGGer
Novice

Jan 18, 2007, 8:02 PM

Post #5 of 12 (3148 views)
Shortcut
Why most of MSIAN Golden/Labrador RETRIEVER so small? [In reply to] Can't Post

/ramblings start :D

also noticed that majority GR/LR are light golden to white.

esp for yellow labs, most of the dogs i saw were the pale yellow to white ones...hardly any dark, golden labs?

chocky/black labs were also hard to find...i even overheard a couple asking what breed a dog was (refering to a black lab)

sad...

/ramblings end ;)

FuGGer
Novice

Post #6 of 12 (3148 views)
Shortcut

-double post-

(This post was edited by FuGGer on Jan 18, 2007, 8:07 PM)

FuGGer
Novice

Post #7 of 12 (3148 views)
Shortcut

-double post-

(This post was edited by FuGGer on Jan 18, 2007, 8:04 PM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 19, 2007, 4:44 PM

Post #8 of 12 (3126 views)
Shortcut

Alot of dog owners here controling their dog diet.

Kookee
Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2007, 8:24 PM

Post #9 of 12 (3075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Why most of MSIAN Golden/Labrador RETRIEVER so small? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Alot of dog owners here controling their dog diet.

Diet? What diet? Kookee has finally reduced her weight....unsuccessfully....and stands at 42kgs....on short legs...with oversize rotund body...she looks like a pork chop...wahahahahahahha!

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Feb 2, 2007, 9:45 PM

Post #10 of 12 (3071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kookee] Why most of MSIAN Golden/Labrador RETRIEVER so small? [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah I noticed that too...........most GRs here are small. They are like giants in the US mannn....I did enquire bout bringing a grown GR back from the US.....the cage alone is XL! And the airlines count that 4 extra check in lugage!!!!

Rascal 'M' Sized cage also count as 2 extra lugage already...and that cost bout USD300 to bring him back. Imagine 4 extra bagage charge!!

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

sbt
Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2007, 5:21 AM

Post #11 of 12 (3031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] Why most of MSIAN Golden/Labrador RETRIEVER so small? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, You are right, GR are very big size in US and bigger than the Australia one.
My freind brought back for US one Male adult. He stand head and shoulder above all others.

Envy man I...
A Dog is for Life, Not just for Christmas

sean

Jul 2, 2007, 3:10 AM

Post #12 of 12 (2741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sbt] Why most of MSIAN Golden/Labrador RETRIEVER so small? [In reply to] Can't Post

Another reason is a lot of breeders in malaysia tend to earn money instead of improving the breed. In some countries, the breeder is only allowed to breed 1 - 2 kinds of dogs for their own kennel and their aim is to improve the breed. Improving a breed cost a lot of effort and money and not really earning much.

That's y we can find a lot of cheap dogs selling outside but don't think about quality. Consumers also should take part of the responsible, they just want to find a very cheap pedigree dog instead of knowing the quality and purpose of keeping pedigree dog.

I believe there are still quite a lot of dog breeders are really dog lovers and provide good quality puppies. Let hope that one day malaysian will have that kind of awareness.

cheers

Cheers,
Sean

My furkids....
Jojo-GR[m], Bobby-BOXER[m], Gigi-ACS[f], Jewie-GR[f]

Please sign in SPCA petition for enhanced protection against animals in Malaysia.
www.catzmedia.com/spca/petitions/index.asp

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my