Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
What's the earliest age to neuter my pup?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

cindy_pebbles

Jan 15, 2007, 9:52 PM

Post #1 of 62 (4009 views)
Shortcut
What's the earliest age to neuter my pup? Can't Post

Hey guys,

Need advice over here. I was told by some members here that we can neuter our pup as early as 3 months old, after the 3 vac. and I understand that the recovery rate will be higher compared to neutering him at older age. Thing is, I called up two clinics this morning and both of them (Vets) laughed at me and said that before he can be neutered, he needs to do some blood test and at least 6 months old, preferable 8 months old to be neutered. Hmmm...Frown
May I know what's the blood test for? They said that even for female pup, must wait for them to have their first period before they can spay them. But I remember pups as young as 3 mths old has been spayed at PAWS. Please advice coz if possible, I would prefer to neuter him earlier so that he can heal faster and won't be able to remember the trauma much...
Thanks in advance!

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 18, 2007, 1:59 AM

Post #2 of 62 (3999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] What's the earliest age to neuter my pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi thr,

i wouldnt know abt other forumers here or vets... but wat i know fr my vet is that u can start as soon as u finished the 3rd jab. if ur doggie is a male, best before age of 5mths... u can double check with anybody u know.

btw...jz outta curiousity, ru sure ur talkin to the vets when u called the clinics??? sometimes the vets are busy & the "nurse" konon wanna pandai-pandai only u know? cuz this had happen to me before Unsure

ezekiel 25:17

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jan 18, 2007, 2:07 AM

Post #3 of 62 (3996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] What's the earliest age to neuter my pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

i've ask 3 vets b4...n none told me to do anyb blood test...so dun waste d money...

but some vets encourage ppl to neuter they dogs after 6 months....others said that can b done as early as 3 month old...

my dog was neutered was she was 3 months...n everything was find...

as for my 1 yr old dog...she kinda look traumatic to me....she look pretty sad for 2 weeks..

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

cindy_pebbles

Jan 18, 2007, 6:25 PM

Post #4 of 62 (3992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] What's the earliest age to neuter my pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown Finally someone answered me! Haha.
Yeah, I was very sure that both of them are vets coz I make sure I only talk to the vets and not the nurses. Funny thing was that they both said the same thing (different clinics) and were laughing their heads off when I told them that I want to neuter Benji at month 4-5. Then they go on and on about doing some blood test. Asked them why and they said it's a procedure blah blah blah... And said that I can only neuter him at age 8 mth and above...geez...
But anyway, I have double-checked with my frn who is a vet and she told me that I can do it at 4 months old... so.. I am gonna bring Benji to her la...thanks for your reply!
PS: in case you were wondering why didn't I ask her in the first place, she was in HK for a holiday and I couldn't get her...hehe...

cindy_pebbles

Jan 18, 2007, 6:29 PM

Post #5 of 62 (3992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] What's the earliest age to neuter my pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Amanda,

Yeah, maybe the vet just wanna potong my neck with the blood test. Ask him why I need to do it and he can't answer me and said it's a procedure. Ceh!
Anyway, I am glad to hear that Pacco remains to be puppy-like after you spayed her. I wish Benji could remain as cute as as puppy after neutering him... :) Yeah, my frn's dog was spayed at about 3 years old and she kinda got depression after that... poor thing...

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 18, 2007, 8:12 PM

Post #6 of 62 (3990 views)
Shortcut

spayin or neuterin ur doggies at older age will not effect their mood la.... depression could come fr anythin... fr luv to food to toys to attention to care to frens to etc to etc to etc

cindy_pebbles

Jan 20, 2007, 12:47 AM

Post #7 of 62 (3976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] What's the earliest age to neuter my pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

Really?? Hehehe.... Blush

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jan 20, 2007, 6:30 PM

Post #8 of 62 (3967 views)
Shortcut

hi cindy,

i don think u need a bloodtest before u can neuter/spay ur furkid...nvr hrd b4. n it's nonsense that female shud hv their period first b4 spaying....not necessary...both my girls are spayed at 6 mths old (before hving their period)...and they are perfectly fine....on the 2nd day of the surgery, they can play d...n now cant even see the scar d....so don waste ur money to do any blood test..perhaps u shud go for another exp vet to neuter ur baby...

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

cindy_pebbles

Jan 22, 2007, 8:05 PM

Post #9 of 62 (3962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] What's the earliest age to neuter my pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Jess,

Yeah, that's what I intent to do. I will find other vet. I think they wanna potong leher or something. Don't trust them...especially the blood test thingy...they can't even tell me what is it for! Pirate
Will be neutering Benji in Feb..after got my pay! haha...kinda broke now...Frown

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jan 22, 2007, 8:46 PM

Post #10 of 62 (3961 views)
Shortcut

hehhehe...planning to neuter him b4 chinese new year?

yeah lo. last time when i spayed both my girls, i really broke lo that month...

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

cindy_pebbles

Jan 24, 2007, 5:14 PM

Post #11 of 62 (3953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] What's the earliest age to neuter my pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown
Most probably I have to wait after his mites infection is cleared...dunno how to he got it pun...hehe... really broke coz have to bring him for his weekly injection and then after that, have to neuter him pulak... but at least I only need to neuter one... phew!
Frown

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jan 24, 2007, 8:56 PM

Post #12 of 62 (3950 views)
Shortcut

oh...he has mites infection ah? aiyo.....on the body? must go for weekly jab wan ah? aiyo..so serious....

yeahlo..sometimes nvr understand how they got it....

like early jan, my girls also kena ticks...a lot somemore....oso wondering how they get it...but after i apply frontline spot on, now ok d....phew!!!!!!

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 26, 2007, 1:23 AM

Post #13 of 62 (3946 views)
Shortcut

ohh

btw...how much u spend for the neuterin process??? will be the same for spayin process???

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jan 26, 2007, 5:53 AM

Post #14 of 62 (3942 views)
Shortcut

i spend RM230 per furkid for spaying...inclusive of one nite hospitalization and medicine...u can call dr gill n ask first...i guess the amount is for neutering should be around there tooSmile

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

mbless
K9 Kaki

Jan 26, 2007, 10:59 AM

Post #15 of 62 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Normally vets will do a blood test before neut of older dogs and certain breed because of some genetic disorder, like blood clotting, kidney disease etc.
Younger dogs heal better and faster compared to older dogs. Neut the dog younger is also cheaper coz its weight is lighter.
Most ppl dont like to neut male dogs younger coz they would like it to grow to its full sized so they neut later. Female have no prob. Like Amanda said, they remain puppyish a bit longer when neut young.
Neut helps prevent some diseases n if we can help prevent it, then we would do wats best for our dogs.

cindy_pebbles

Jan 26, 2007, 9:48 PM

Post #16 of 62 (3931 views)
Shortcut

Nope, the infection is in his ears!! The vet let me see the mites thru the microscope...saw them wrigglying...yucks! Yeah, if can better prevent from the mites coz the eggs are very hard to get rid off..that's why need about 4-6 jabs to ensure everything is ok... and mind you, the jabs are very very very painful coz they are oil-based jabs (dunno what that means by from what I see, Benji looked very painful) vet said can wipe some frontline in the ear to prevent mites...
So, now, for the time being, keep Benji indoor until everything is ok only can bring him kaikai...
Kesian....

cindy_pebbles

Jan 26, 2007, 9:50 PM

Post #17 of 62 (3931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mbless] What's the earliest age to neuter my pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you mean that if I neuter Benji at age 4-5 months old, he won't grow to his full size? Aiyoh, like that teruk..coz he is kinda small size for a MS right now...
So, do you know that if a MS needs to do blood test before the neutering??? Thanks in advance for your reply!

cindy_pebbles

Jan 26, 2007, 9:56 PM

Post #18 of 62 (3931 views)
Shortcut

The price i got for neutering Benji in KL is around RM180-RM200...should be around the same price...

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jan 28, 2007, 1:44 AM

Post #19 of 62 (3919 views)
Shortcut

aiyo....dats painful.....in the ear ah..poor benji..he must be trembling in fear each time u bring him to see the vet...sigh....

yeah lo...hopefully can cure faster so dat he won need to suffer this stuff anymore...so in future hv to rub a bit of frontline to prevent from mites lo hor.....

how u realise that it's mites? he scratch non stop ah?

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 28, 2007, 2:18 AM

Post #20 of 62 (3918 views)
Shortcut

thx all for the info Cool

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 29, 2007, 3:20 AM

Post #21 of 62 (3911 views)
Shortcut

Well the best time for you to neuter your dog is when your dog's "jewel" is fully descended. Better still when he's fully an adult which is 1 year old. But EVEN better if you neuter him before he gets the chance to spray all over the wall, gate, etc, etc & humping females. Don't give him the chance to climb on females & hump them or else if you keep allowing him for months & months doing this, it'll be in his memory. But neutering can help remove the memory if & I mean IF ONLY you don't let him do it again. It'll take about two months for him to forget about it...But here & then after months of not humping females, he'll might do it again especially to females that are on heat or had just finished their heat (period).

cindy_pebbles

Jan 29, 2007, 10:58 PM

Post #22 of 62 (3904 views)
Shortcut

I didn't know it was mites infection... Blush i actually brought him to see for some skin infection (i thought it was anyway, but vet said it was diaper-rash or something like that)... that's when the vet check the ear and found it to be foul smelling and dirty..(we checked it two days earlier and everything was ok!)...and she check thru the microscope and found out it was mites...Blush now very obedient and has been cleaning his ears every 2 days... hehe...
today another jab...dunno which part today...

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jan 30, 2007, 4:12 AM

Post #23 of 62 (3895 views)
Shortcut

oic...yeah lo..h to clean the ear regular....hope benji well get well soonWink

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Feb 3, 2007, 1:29 AM

Post #24 of 62 (3875 views)
Shortcut

poor benji.. how he now? still need to go for few more jabs?

My beloved Molly looks like MooMooo

My beloved Snoopy makes 1 of the funniest beagle in the world

My beloved Lassie is the teh-est sheltie although he is a male !

Frown Molly Gal : 16 June 2007 | Snoopy Zai : 4 Jan 2010 | Lassie Zai : 23 April 2010

| Husky Zai : 24 Jan 2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my Jewelleries Online

Photography Business Website coming up soon ^^

cindy_pebbles

Feb 3, 2007, 5:35 PM

Post #25 of 62 (3872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SupaMolly] What's the earliest age to neuter my pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yesterday when I cleaned his ears, still very dirty and has lotsa black colour dirt (which the vet told me was the eggs and tahi of the mites...) Unsure i hope he can get well soon! so worry about him...this monday is the 4th jab and if not ok, then have to go for 2 more... burning hole in my pocket lor...coz one jab is about RM25...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my