Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Pls explain to me these behaviours..thx!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cindy_pebbles

Jan 13, 2007, 12:06 AM

Post #1 of 46 (6452 views)
Shortcut
Pls explain to me these behaviours..thx! Can't Post

Hi All!Frown

I encounter some behaviour by my puppy and would appreciate if you guys can help me figure out why is he doing these thing... thanks!

1. My Benji (a MS) is very very very friendly with everyone who comes to our house. He will jump at them, smelling them, running here and there to show his excitedness etc. But whenever my housemate came home at night after work, he will growl and bark (fiercely) at him but at the same time, wagging his tail. Benji only does this to him alone, when he was inside his crate. However if he is outside his crate pulak, he is ok with it and will follow him around. Whenever I came back from work, he will also bark at me but it's the very excited kinda bark..not growling. I am really confused leh...Wondering if my housemate has sort of bully Benji when we are not at home. Hmmm... Any comment?

2. Me and my bf realised that everytime we went upstair for a while (like 5 minutes) and leave Benji alone (in crate and out of crate), he poopoo in the living room (if he is outside of the crate) and in the crate..in 3 different places, making a lot of mess.. But if we were all downstairs with him, he will go into the toilet and do his business in the toilet. Hmmm...we wonder if he did it purposely?? Or is it just coincidence?? Oh ya, everytime we see poo in his crate, we will immediately let him out to prevent him from stepping on the poo.

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

melwongsj
Novice

Jan 13, 2007, 3:20 AM

Post #2 of 46 (6443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] Pls explain to me these behaviours..thx! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess it's because your housemate has done something to him before when he's in the crate until your Benji has no way to esape as he's in the crate. Once he's out from the crate, whatever ur housemate does to him, he can always escape by running away or biting ur housemate (if he bites). That's why whenever he sees ur housemate and he is in the crate, he would bark to shoo ur housemate away or to warn u to protect him.

For the second one, i would say that Benji is jealous. He doesn't want u to leave him alone and go up with another male. Haha. that's why he would pee poo here and there to make u get frustrated and therefore won't go upstairs with ur bf and leave him alone downstairs anymore.

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 13, 2007, 3:21 AM

Post #3 of 46 (6443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] Pls explain to me these behaviours..thx! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi All!

I encounter some behaviour by my puppy and would appreciate if you guys can help me figure out why is he doing these thing... thanks!

1. My Benji (a MS) is very very very friendly with everyone who comes to our house. He will jump at them, smelling them, running here and there to show his excitedness etc. But whenever my housemate came home at night the same time everyday??? after work, this particular fren always plays with benji??? he will growl and bark (fiercely) at him but at the same time, wagging his tail. if he's waggin his tail, he's not aggresive Benji only does this to him alone, when he was inside his crate. However if he is outside his crate pulak, he is ok with it and will follow him around. that's cuz i think benji wants ur this particular fren to play with him Whenever I came back from work, he will also bark at me but it's the very excited kinda bark..not growling. I am really confused leh...Wondering if my housemate has sort of bully Benji when we are not at home. Hmmm... Any comment? no bully case here dont worry, if its an abuse by ur fren, benji wont wag his tail. his tail would be down & benji will lie down submissively each time seein ur fren doggies are creatures of routine, if ur fren plays with benji a lot durin the day & benjij seems to like him, so whenever he comes home fr work everynite at the same time, benji would probably greet him excitedly cuz benji wanna play

2. Me and my bf realised that everytime we went upstair for a while (like 5 minutes) and leave Benji alone (in crate and out of crate), he poopoo in the living room (if he is outside of the crate) and in the crate..in 3 different places, making a lot of mess.. But if we were all downstairs with him, he will go into the toilet and do his business in the toilet. Hmmm...we wonder if he did it purposely?? Or is it just coincidence?? Oh ya, everytime we see poo in his crate, we will immediately let him out to prevent him from stepping on the poo. after poo, will he whine, cry, bark??? wat i see is pure attention grabbin if u answer yes, benji knows that by makin a mees & fuss abt it, he'l get ur attention & u guys would attend to him

ezekiel 25:17

digitral

Jan 13, 2007, 4:23 AM

Post #4 of 46 (6439 views)
Shortcut

Wink dun worry so much,

my luilui ( ms ) she see me back from work , she will bark at crate and want me fast fast open cage for her ^^ and then last time my lui lui dun like i leave her alone at room,she she will poo at floor or room,but she now no more.cuz i know her well edi,sooner u will know what ur benji want ^_^

cindy_pebbles

Jan 15, 2007, 5:54 PM

Post #5 of 46 (6426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] Pls explain to me these behaviours..thx! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi All!

1. My Benji (a MS) is very very very friendly with everyone who comes to our house. He will jump at them, smelling them, running here and there to show his excitedness etc. But whenever my housemate came home at night the same time everyday??? Yes, he comes home every nite the almost the same time. after work, this particular fren always plays with benji??? No, he doesn't play with Benji at all. he will growl and bark (fiercely) at him but at the same time, wagging his tail. if he's waggin his tail, he's not aggresive Benji stood up very straight, growling and barking with tails wagging. Do dogs growl as a friendly sign? Benji does not growl at anyone else (except him and some of our neighbour's cats! hehe). Benji only does this to him alone, when he was inside his crate. However if he is outside his crate pulak, he is ok with it and will follow him around. that's cuz i think benji wants ur this particular fren to play with him might be, he is a playful puppy. He will continue growling until that guy went upstairs. Whenever I came back from work, he will also bark at me but it's the very excited kinda bark (very high-pitched bark with excited jumping here and there movements)..not growling. I am really confused leh...Wondering if my housemate has sort of bully Benji when we are not at home. Hmmm... Any comment? no bully case here dont worry, if its an abuse by ur fren, benji wont wag his tail. his tail would be down & benji will lie down submissively each time seein ur fren doggies are creatures of routine, if ur fren plays with benji a lot durin the day & benjij seems to like him, so whenever he comes home fr work everynite at the same time, benji would probably greet him excitedly cuz benji wanna play PS: brought him to the K9 yesterday and he seemed to be friendlier to human than to dogs. He will sniff sniff at them but when the dog approaches, he will be backing away and cowering. Is this normal?? But for human, he seems very happy when they sayang him.

2. Me and my bf realised that everytime we went upstair for a while (like 5 minutes) and leave Benji alone (in crate and out of crate), he poopoo in the living room (if he is outside of the crate) and in the crate..in 3 different places, making a lot of mess.. But if we were all downstairs with him, he will go into the toilet and do his business in the toilet. Hmmm...we wonder if he did it purposely?? Or is it just coincidence?? Oh ya, everytime we see poo in his crate, we will immediately let him out to prevent him from stepping on the poo. after poo, will he whine, cry, bark??? wat i see is pure attention grabbin if u answer yes, benji knows that by makin a mees & fuss abt it, he'l get ur attention & u guys would attend to him He will whine, bark, cry and stop awhile (that's when he poopoo) and after that continue whining and crying until we came down. How to deal with this? We don't want him to step on his poo leh...yet don't want to manja him. Hehe.

thanks for all your help! ps: didn't see Zeus yesterday but sasha's mommy said she said u :)

(This post was edited by cindy_pebbles on Jan 15, 2007, 6:07 PM)

cindy_pebbles

Jan 15, 2007, 6:17 PM

Post #6 of 46 (6424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [digitral] Pls explain to me these behaviours..thx! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! How does your luiluil stop poo poo when being left alone? Yeah, i know what Benji wants! He wants to be with me 24/7! Haha... manja kiddo...
PS: Am wondering did they purposely keep some poo with them and use it as a weapon?! Haha...Frown

digitral

Jan 16, 2007, 6:18 AM

Post #7 of 46 (6415 views)
Shortcut

hehehehe cuz now lui lui if i ask lui lui go toilet she will go mar,so now she will not poo at cage or at my room also,maybe after she poo and pee at toilet tat time,i will give her sog treat as a gift,then last time she pee or poo when i leave her alone at room , maybe she want to show she is angry or she dun want to be alone lol....hehehe...my lui lui quite manja wan too,but sumtimes i have to let her to be more independent also,dun worry your Benji still young,Benji just like to stick you only,dun worry too much ya ^^ everything can settle soon trust me. last time i also worry i cant teach my lui lui nicely, but now she is ok with everything, but lui lui super active when play with her toys ='P hehehehe im sure urs too !

Regards ,

Huichyi

My lovely lui lui '' pretty furry daughter ''

cindy_pebbles

Jan 16, 2007, 5:50 PM

Post #8 of 46 (6405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [digitral] Pls explain to me these behaviours..thx! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Haha...I can imagine your luilui very cute! Ya, i think my Benji just wanna be with me. Now, he can finally climb up the stairs so he won't poopoo downstairs, waiting for me to come down but will climb up, following me. But if he is in the crate, then if i go up, he will purposely poo there. Hehehe..naughty boy!
Now he is getting older, I try to let him be out of the crate longer. I m planning to let him roam freely in the house once he is reliable enuf not to chew on my things and poo/pee everywhere... So far, with me watching him, he will poo/pee in the toilet but will still chew on sofa and wire.. so can't let him pass his "test" yet... :)

goofydip
Veteran

Jan 16, 2007, 7:11 PM

Post #9 of 46 (6403 views)
Shortcut

for his chew problem, try to buy him few toys for chewing...i let Goofy roam free in my living room when he 'pass' his toilet train....while i working in front of my shop..he love to chew also, sometimes, i couldn't see what he's might chewing in the kitchen, so i bought lots of toys for him..when he bored with one toy, he'll play another one..he'll chew them and play his toys one by one...haha..in this way, he has no time to chew other things other than his toys.. he'll be bc changing his toys...fyi..i got him a rubber ball, a rubber bone, a rubber star, a nylon bone, a soft toy, and a kong toy...he love his kong toy even i didn't stuff in treats..

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

wibbly
Dog Kichi

Jan 16, 2007, 7:12 PM

Post #10 of 46 (6403 views)
Shortcut

Helo!

My Coffee last time also purposely pee in her cage so that she'll be let out by us. I guess she realised that if she dirty her cage, she'll get her freedom. Smart cookie. Can u estimate when ur doggy normally pees n poos? Coffee usually pees n poos around the same time everyday, so when i know it's time for her to go, i let her out to do her business before she dirties her cage. But if I miss cue n she already peed in there, i js take out her tray to wash n change the newspaper n clean her cage from outside without letting her out. This is to let her know she can't use this excuse to be let out. It's important not to make a big fuss when cleaning up after ur doggy. Coz if u do, ur doggy will see it as a way of getting ur attention and u won't be able to toilet train her properly.

I guess it's more difficult for u coz u're using a crate, so u have no choice but to take him out to clean it. But do it without fuss n put him back in immediately after cleaning. Remember to use pet odor neutraliser so that the poo smell won't be in the crate anymore.

cindy_pebbles

Jan 16, 2007, 9:47 PM

Post #11 of 46 (6399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wibbly] Pls explain to me these behaviours..thx! [In reply to] Can't Post

They are really smart, aren't they?! Haha. Yeah, I had to get him out coz the poo will be trampled upon if I didn't do it in time! And then, I will have to clean his foot etc. Hehe. I can only estimate when he wants to poo/pee in the morning and after I came back from work. But I suspect he sometimes keeps some poo..to use it as a "weapon" coz sometimes, he can just poo 3 times in half an hour! And so coincidentally, that happened when I left him alone for a few minutes! Unsure
But he is ok if I am with him. He will go to the toilet to poo/pee.
Thanks for your advice!

cindy_pebbles

Jan 16, 2007, 9:52 PM

Post #12 of 46 (6396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goofydip] Pls explain to me these behaviours..thx! [In reply to] Can't Post

Problem with Benji is that he get bored with his toys very easily. He doesn't even like his Kong toy! Hehe. I realised that he prefers to chew on other things, other than his toys. So far, he has tennis ball, plastic balls (big and small), Kong toy, two rubber bone shape chewies, 4 diffferent sizes of rawhides, soft pillow, 2 soft toys, and a blanket! Haha. But he like his Winnie the Pooh soft toy and sleep with the toy everynite...
PS: he discovered the mirror yesterday and kept barking at my reflection! haha..cute!

goofydip
Veteran

Jan 16, 2007, 10:10 PM

Post #13 of 46 (6395 views)
Shortcut

wowwwwShocked...so many toys!!!! so many toys also bored ar? hahaha..he really mischevious then!!! haha...and very cute and funny!!!Laugh

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

wibbly
Dog Kichi

Jan 16, 2007, 10:53 PM

Post #14 of 46 (6390 views)
Shortcut

Haha...sounds like my doggy. She get excited about her new toy for a while only, my pocket got big hole already after buying so many toys for her. So have to modify the toy a bit like change wat i put inside her Kong toy n soaking the nyla bone in chicken broth to entice her. Going to get a remote control car n let her chase it around till she no strength to be naughty anymore. Wink Sometimes i feel that it's a psychological game with our doggies coz gotta always think of ways to outsmart them.

Ps. U can always get one of those anti-chew spray to stop him biting ur furniture etc. I have 1 now and phew! even i cant stand the smell not to say my doggy. Remember not to let him see u spraying the place tho.

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 17, 2007, 3:18 AM

Post #15 of 46 (6387 views)
Shortcut

sorry for the late reply Blush
Yes, he comes home every nite the almost the same time. doggies are routine creatures, they have almost flawless body clocks No, he doesn't play with Benji at all. benji could be anticipatin this fren of urs to play with him everynite when he's back Benji stood up very straight, growling and barking with tails wagging. Do dogs growl as a friendly sign? Benji does not growl at anyone else (except him and some of our neighbour's cats! hehe). that'spossible that ur fren tease benji when he's back??? jz simple facial expressions whr benji might dislikes it??? thus makin benji growl & at the same time waggin his tail. might be, he is a playful puppy. He will continue growling until that guy went upstairs. (very high-pitched bark with excited jumping here and there movements)..not growling. try lettin benji out & have a go with this fren, pretty soon, they'l get along jz fine PS: brought him to the K9 yesterday and he seemed to be friendlier to human than to dogs. that's good to know He will sniff sniff at them but when the dog approaches, he will be backing away and cowering. Is this normal?? he's a little submissive, but yet again, wat do u expect??? he's only 4mths old rite?? other bigger doggies are out thr, he'l think they would wanna swallow him whole Tongue But for human, he seems very happy when they sayang him. again...good to know that

He will whine, bark, cry and stop awhile (that's when he poopoo) and after that continue whining and crying until we came down. How to deal with this? We don't want him to step on his poo leh...yet don't want to manja him. Hehe. did u start his potty trainin yet??? can start now ade to preent this as well

thanks for all your help! ps: didn't see Zeus yesterday but sasha's mommy said she said u :) yea i dont think ive met u either, btw... i knew jesse since we were 10yrs old la, we came a long way back Cool good luck

cindy_pebbles

Jan 17, 2007, 8:25 PM

Post #16 of 46 (6379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] Pls explain to me these behaviours..thx! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! It's ok and thanks for replying.

Personally, I don't really like this housemate of mine and we seldom talk. I caught him, coming back from work, taking off his smelly socks and letting Benji lick his toes! Yucky!!! So angry with him that time. After that incidence, I will move Benji's crate further in to prevent him from doing it. Hehe..
Benji's toilet-trained! He knows where to poo and pee (which is in the toilet!) but he has to poo and pee in the crate when we are at work la...:p . But he will poo and pee (which we suspect he did it purposely!) when we left him downstairs alone (not in his crate but free). But these days, no such problem la... coz he knows how to climb up the stair case (finally!! yippie!!) and so he will follow us lor...
Ooh..no wonder la..coz I bet she recognises u and not Zeus? Haha..for me, I recognise the dog and not the owner. I saw Sasha first!
Anyway, a big thank you to you!

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 18, 2007, 4:09 AM

Post #17 of 46 (6375 views)
Shortcut

no sweat...

digitral

Jan 21, 2007, 7:04 AM

Post #18 of 46 (6365 views)
Shortcut

Unsure yerrrr..sounds digusting why ur housemate did this to Benji ( I caught him, coming back from work, taking off his smelly socks and letting Benji lick his toes! ) so gerli lar ..... bad bad bad Mad

cindy_pebbles

Jan 22, 2007, 7:57 PM

Post #19 of 46 (6364 views)
Shortcut

Yalor...I was so mad at him also... btw, his feet really stinks! Crazy
btw, Benji pooed 3 times in the cage when I left him for a few seconds:- to wash my hands in the toilet (1st Time), throw his poo away (2nd time) and brush my teeth (3rd time)! And always just one or two tiny poo...made me so tired yesterday nite...coz hafta clean and clean and clean Unsure I read from the website that this is one of the "separation anxiety" symptoms...

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 25, 2007, 10:40 PM

Post #20 of 46 (6352 views)
Shortcut

yup, uve got it rite...separation anxiety...uve gotta let ur doggie leant that u'l still luv him even if ur not around & he cant see u...

cindy_pebbles

Jan 26, 2007, 9:31 PM

Post #21 of 46 (6345 views)
Shortcut

Yep.. I went to one website that talk about separation anxiety and Benji has ALL of the symptoms. Frown And of all the reasons, I can only find one which is most relevant...that he is a very extremely devoted dog! Haha... I also dunno how to make him more independent...
Crazy

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 27, 2007, 7:04 PM

Post #22 of 46 (6339 views)
Shortcut

hmmm... try leave him alone at home for short periods of time (less than 5 mins) then slowly increase the time & the times u leave him

Sydney
Doggyman

Jan 28, 2007, 5:12 AM

Post #23 of 46 (6332 views)
Shortcut

Yea i think that yr housemate bully benji. wait, does yr housemate lock benji up??

yea, the poo prob is i think on pruposeUnimpressed better not leave benji alone then if you want to avoid benji pooping everywhere

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

cindy_pebbles

Jan 29, 2007, 11:08 PM

Post #24 of 46 (6324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] Pls explain to me these behaviours..thx! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope, I am the one who lock Benji up when we are away at work...but my housemate is the last one to go out from the house...(me and my bf leave at 8 plus but he leaves at 10 plus)... dunno what he did...hopefully it's not those gross toe licking thingy...
PS: my Benji also will do some "hmmph" sound if i ignore him... haha... and sort of "groan" when i won't let him out from his cage..haha..quite verbal that guy...

digitral

Jan 31, 2007, 12:06 AM

Post #25 of 46 (6312 views)
Shortcut

hi cindy,long time no reply u.

well , i just knew a friend. she is a grommer at damansara jaya.

she told me if ur furkid scare to be alone , u can put relaxing music or song to them or put them a clothes that got their owner smell.

they will not scare anymore and slowy they will bear it and b more independent edi.

have a try yoh !!!!

regards ,

hui chyi

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my